How did this show achieve cult classic status?

How did this show achieve cult classic status?
What drives people to this show?

L A I N

literal autism and the loli

LET'S ALL

LOVEE HERR?
>LOVEE HERR?

Shes cute!

back when it was new, teens thought it was deep and by watching it they'd become deep too

Sup Forums-kun recommending everywhere, Lain being one of the cutest brunettes and also the artsy style it has.

Texhnolyze is still the superior one here though

What is up with all the abe anime threads as of late? We've already had two Haibane threads up in the past week.

faux deep and waifu

The game is surprisingly better, and also creepier. The show is just some faux symbolic bullshit

it was very very very good according to a very niche set of tastes shared by a relatively small group o people which evidently does not include you

y'know, same as every single other thing that achieves cult status

OP doesn't imply he doesn't like the show

reminder that 'faux deep' is only a valid criticism when you man up and post something genuinely deeper

No, it was very very very good to anybody who lived through the Dotcom bubble, saw the proliferation of information technology within human society and feared for what ramifications such developments might have. It's really important to consider Lain within context when assessing whether it's good or not.

While nowadays we still have concerns about internet privacy and the online and real worlds blurring, the fact that Lain came out when these ideas were in their infancy is essential. No other anime at that point had attempted to depict these themes in such a jarring, frightening manner before.

If were we to choose one person on Sup Forums who best represents Lain, who would that be?

It could be a tripfag, a namefag, someone who posts stuff anonymously, etc.

LISP
>Texhnolyze is still the superior one
True.

Nigba

This, it was mainly in the timing of the show and the rise of technology and the Internet when people were just getting more access to it and the Dotcom bubble. It's harder to get the same feeling now, much like how Fooly Cooly work better for people from a certain period of time in the past.

it makes a certain group of dumb people feel smart

Same era as the Matrix. People were afraid of computers, virtual people could pretend to be anyone they wanted, Windows stole many jobs and digitalized them, there was the mystery of the year 2000 that could destroy computers and return the world back to 1900 and the website crash dot com caused bancrupcy of many influential people. Lain addressed all those fears.

I like the internet. Its themes are more relevant now than it was when it came out.

good question, even though I tried to keep watching I dropped it the third episode because it was boring

Obviously you didn't love l a i n

capture
>IMPASSE LANE
>LANE

Lain is one of favourite 90s shows but it has such a cult following I sometimes feel weird for prefering Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei over it

It's a good show and some people get really invested because it's about the internet and stuff.

What would sex with her be like?

Put your penis in a RJ45 slot.