Pre-2000s Anime Thread

Which older titles have you gotten around to watching lately?

Recently rewatched Giant Robo + the Ginrei OVAs and shit's still as cool as ever.

I loved GR but I just couldn't take that fucking twist seriously.

Watching dunbine, honestly its really bad, the setting is great and some of the concepts are interesting but the characters are so inconsistent even by tomino standards that everything goes to waste. Characters jump between loving eachother and hating eachother within the scene and in general its essentially strips them of personality.

Slowly going through Dirty Pair.
Some episodes are really good, but a couple of them felt really pointless, like the one about the dead scientists or whatever setting up a trap to kill Dirty Pair.
Pic related was a fantastic episode though.

>mfw he pulled the same twist in g gundam

>pre-2000
>older

The last series I watched was the 1980's Glass Mask series.

It was a really good show with a GOAT rivalry, although I feel the romantic elements could've been handled better. Is the 2005 series any better?

>ywn more of the battles between the Experts of Justice and Big Fire

Just started Slayers Revolution. Gourry seems to have a bit of his original personality back, which is nice. He was a bumbling flanderized retard for the last few seasons.

Berserk 1997 again

1st episode was aesthetic as fuck coming off of the new anime, even with the stills.

Giant Robo is a masterpiece, plebs.

>we'll never get it
Fuck nips, they're stupid.

All right well I dropped Slayers Revolution, I could see where it was going and I don't like it. How are the movies?

Just started it recently.

Which should I watch next: RahXephon, Ideon, or Gunbuster?

Gunbuster. If you get around to Ideon I'd advise watching the two movies over the series. Haven't seen RahXephon.

>watching the two movies over the series
Really? Why?

Gunbuster is trash. Just watch Diebuster instead.

Doubt it.

Gunbuster. It's shorter and a classic.
You are trash.

The first movie because I feel it trims alot of the fat that just aren't necessary to the story aswell as avoiding as much of Tomino's TV directing as possible. To be fair outside of MSG and Zambot 3 I haven't been impressed by Tominio's TV shows in that era at all. If you can stand stuff like Dunbine and Xabungle then sure go for the TV series. The second movie however is mandatory as it gives the series a conclusive ending, like End of Eva.

With all the shit about 16Berserk nobody ever talks about it's awful pacing

Maybe 97 was forced by its limitations but it's slow pace gave it poignancy

First movie trimmed too much. It should have been a trilogy with 2 recapping the series and one for the big finale.

The trilogy treatment only goes to guaranteed hits, seen MSG. Ideon was too cult, it was lucky it managed to even get one movie. Besides, what really was lost that would justify three goddamn movies?

it was not really so much what was lost storywise but I have a hard time seeing how anyone would care when events move so quickly

That said my memory of the series is shaky and perhaps a rewatch could change my opinion. I used to think Macross DYRL was a bad retelling of it's series until I gave it another shot a couple months ago after all

the filler planet episodes in ideon were pretty dull

God damn the subtitles for Plawres are a pain to read. Whoever translated this must've been ESL, or they translated from a language other than JP.

Gonna go and watch Irresponsible Captain Taylor out of curiosity.

Gonna watch the Patlabor films tonight or tomorrow. First time touching the franchise

Why would you start a franchise with the movies that came out after the original series? The movies are completely different in tone because Oshii "Everything must be Ghost in the Shell" Mamoru directed them.

because I want to watch more dour Oshii stuff, of which I haven't experienced besides GITS

though I didn't know the series came out first

The Ova first, then the movies.
Watch the ova, it's only 7 episodes.

I'm about 20 episodes into Great Teacher Onizuka and I'm loving every minute

I am at episode 96 of Gatchaman. Really too many episodes, but I am liking it a lot.

Rose of Versailles
Macross Plus

You have the original OVAs which are then followed by the movies.

Then you have the reboot TV series, which is followed by the New Files OVAs.

Currently watching Burn Up. Really great so far

Finally starting Rose of Versailles, and re-watching Brother Dear Brother.

I'm watching Doraemon because why the fuck not

Macross Plus is the only good Macross sequel
Don't let 7fags fool you

Gonna finally finish Aishite Knight.

Wish it were in better quality. It always seems a little... dark.

At least it's not Kaikan Phrase-level of poor quality. I tried to watch that recently and god damn. We really are spoilt by the video quality available for most things now.

Started Saber Marionette J yesterday, a fucking blast from the past

I love the cat in that. BUUMI

9/10 anime i must say
its one of the few harem comedies that are actually really good.

The kid and cat are both cute comedic relief.

They did a good job of making the kid not be a perfect angel child but still not having him be the most annoying thing ever.

I'm about halfway through G Gundam, after I finish it I'll probably pick up space Cobra from where I left off.

I've had this downloaded for a while now. It might be next on my to-watch list.

None. I used to watch them when they aired on RTL2 and Rai Uno and Due when I was a little faggot. Then I watched the rest of the good shit in the 2000s when I had good enough internet to download them.

I'm not sure if I'm envious of newfags who still have a substantial backlog or feel relief that I don't have to marathon hundreds of episodes anymore. Probably the later.

fuck you OP, you're not the normal person who makes these threads.

>Noooooooooooooooo the yellow can't touch the brown color!!!!
>reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Good, I recommend it!

I used to hate anime, now I think I'm starting to kinda like it. Cowboy Bebop and One Piece are the ones I'm currently watching. Great shows!

Wow glad you're finally on board buddy.

I started this a while ago and I liked it well enough, but that video quality really put me off.

I really hope that's not what the DVDs actually look like, but knowing Toei...it's possible.

I can recommend Rahxephon, watched it a bunch of times. Pretty similar to Evangelion, interesting story and nice visuals. Also cake love interest.

Where do I find some good dubbed anime?

I rewatched this recently in BD quality. Shit's even better than I remembered. Also Ruri is still the best waifuBaka baka

The real plebeian would be the dumbass who didn't grow out of the super robot mecha phase.

>that video quality really put me off
This is probably an Sup Forumsnime watching sin, but I watched a bunch of it in VLC with some image adjust. Just when it really bothered me how dark it was.

Bluray when?

>ree
Don't do that.

Lurk more.

Enjoy the ride

>Old anime
>Good dubs

The movies were fine by me. It'll depend on how you feel about Naga

They mostly don't exist, if you mean english dubs.
Latin American dubs try since they tend to have a better talent pool for their dubs (i.e. people who have a lot more experience than the hacks used by Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, etc), but even then they have mixed results.

I could probably adjust the brightness in the player that I use. I'm an idiot for not thinking of that earlier.

I'm halfway done with Rose of Versallies, its so good I wish people would talk about it more.

I love Oscar, shes so dreamy

Godo intro was the tightest shit, EP1 in general was great and set the pace right. It did what a TV show should do, get you interested in the source material. Besides that it made all the best choices considering their budget and time restraints

>he typed as the latest episode of generic moeblob anime #542684 popped into his RSS feed

Super robot is the generic moeblob of mecha

That would be Gundam.

I'm about half way done as well. I fell in love with Oscar 5 episodes in. Honestly one of my top favorite characters at this point.

>le epic hotblooded GAR yelling face
Fucking cringe. Mechatards should kill themselves desu

Enlighten us on what you think is the superior genre

It's honestly probably the most talked about Dezaki adaption, besides Ashita no Joe. There was a big thread for it last week(?) or the week before.

Don't bother with retards that post "le smug anime girl" reaction images.

So like, does Oscar like Ferson too? Because it wasn't very clear to me untill he went off to fight in the Revolutionary war

Yes... That's kind of a major story arc for her character. Have you not reached the episode where she puts on the dress?

What did they do to the second season? Was it really necessary to make it such a grand scale battle.

I'm working my way through "You're under Arrest" right now and it's fast becoming one of my favorite anime

>episode 3
you're in for a ride, user.

>Dezakishit character designs

No, I'm on the second ep of the diamond necklace affair.

I must have missed the part where it clicked for her? The first instance, I mean

still watching Touch, kind of took a break for a while since I pretty much marathoned my way through the first part.
I don't really like the new OP that much. The ED is good though.

I swear this exact same character with the exact same design is in Ace wo Nerae.

>where it clicked for her
Yeah, there wasn't really a moment. It was just hinted. I kind of felt that those romantic feelings for Fersen came out of nowhere.

That's what I thought too, even the same characterization in the beginning. I'm only 3 episodes in though.

Could someone please seed this on nyaa?

>having taste this horrible
>not appreciating classic Ikeda designs
Consider suicide.

Honestly, it's up for debate whether Oscar actually loved Fersen or if she was just projecting her envy for Antoinette. You have to remember those two were Oscar's only point of reference of people living as their hearts told them at that point.

I just started this show. Damn, Ayuhara is alpha as fuck.

>104 episodes
>1 episode a week

I'll be seeing you guys over the next two years.

>not having a bakabt account
also the subber has it up on mega if you go to their livejournal.

Haven't bothered with the new anime. What's so bad about it?

I have a bakabt account, but you know, ratio.
But thanks anyway, didn't notice the DDL link in the description, and thanks to the user that started to seed.

That's if the subber doesn't drop it.

....like Licca dropped Lucy-May of the Southern Rainbow last update 2012. Rest in peace.

Wow, kill yourself.

Think of it this way. OldCastle has made more progress in a few weeks than Live-EviL has in the entire four years since they released their version of the first episode.

I feel you. I recommend torrenting the first four episodes from bakabt (they're by another subber) and DDL the rest. 800MB is an acceptable sacrifice on your ratio.