How did he do it?

How did he do it?

It's been 10 years since TTGL ended and nothing has even come close to topping it.

Imaishi must be elated knowing that he created one of the best works of all time, yet at the same time humbled knowing that nothing he makes in the future will ever be as good.

Here's hoping Promare aspires to the same level of greatness.

agreed user

This is the only good show he has made
The others are all dumb waifushit

he hasn't made all that much

KLK was fun but far from amazing
P&S was westernshit
Luluco was a meme series (ironically better than the full-budget Kiznaiver that aired the same season)

I wouldn't call any of those waifushit

Promare will show whether Imaishi is closer to KLK or TTGL

>It's been 10 years since TTGL ended and nothing has even come close to topping it.
Samurai Flamenco, Ping Pong, Natsume Yuujinchou, Uchouten Kazoku, and Mononoke all came out after it and are better though.

One trick pony

if the pony shat a bar of gold just once, totally worth the price

It's probably the worst anime ever made.
I don't say this lightly, it's a masterpiece of terrible.

If the pony's one trick was shitting bars of gold, the term "one trick pony" wouldn't really be a great descriptor.

What was your top 3 last year?

shit taste detected

most directors go their entire lives without making anything worth value

his style and writing that pumps you up.
The thing with TTGL, especially the first half of the series, is the underdog story that had positive reinforcement that wasn't cringe worthy. Cringe worthy meaning "my friends are my power" bullshit. No it was man the fuck up buddy, I'm here but I'm gonna make you man the fuck up too.
It had that testosterone pumping feeling, especially on episode 11. You saw a timid kid break out of his shell in a very satisfying way. That shell was made from people treating him like dirt because he was a digger, Kamina saw strength in that rather than a weakness. There was nothing wrong with Simon except for his lack in self appreciation.

Amaama, Tanaka-kun and BNHA I guess.

>it's been 10 years since gurren lagann
>it's been 20 years since gaogaigar
what happened super robot shows?

>most directors go their entire lives without making anything worth value
Just like Imaishi.

dumbest thing I've read all week

They I....
I don't know user

We had the Mazinger remake a while ago, but they're dead.
Nip kids think robots are for old people and they just like CCGs now.

TTGL is that one anime that used all of the potential of animation, because it is impossible to replicate that feeling with whatever you think about it. No Live Action movie, book, comic, manga nor anything will be able to reach the same kind of amazingness because this is what only animation can do.

this so much. in live-action format TTGL would be cringy as fuck and no amount of money thrown at CGI will make it comparable to the hand-drawn. in book or comic format all impact would be lost.

what about a PROPER videogame?

LOL

nope

too much of a divide between gameplay and narration. Every single vidya adaptation of anything has failed. Vidya by nature is not a medium that allows for adaptation

reminder TTGL is a poor mans Getter Robo in every single regard.

>Luluco was a meme series

You cant masturbate to mecha but can to moeshit with schoolgirls

>not combining the 2 together
user plz.

Just like that guy said. You would end up loosing part of the narrative, and therefore the excitement, in the moment you had to play the part.

>It's been 10 years since TTGL ended and nothing has even come close to topping it.

I want Sup Forums to leave.

i think that TTGL is overrated but Kittan's death still makes me cry like a bitch
rate

Kill la kill is shit reddit.

I can't be the only one who rewatches the movies every year or so

the entire series is too long to rewatch, but the movies are perfect

If you are talking about only animation, "Space Dandy" was better than Guren Lagan, or anything else.

I hate when people blow things out of proportion and start making you hate something you love. I thought the first season of SNK was fucking awesome, had me on the edge of my seat, I loved the animation, loved the music, the characters, etc. Then the fans came.... "BEST ANIME EVER" they cried "DEEPEST LORE!" they shouted until I felt embarrassed to be affiliated with them and started nitpicking. "Well the one flaw of that episode is" or "ah well, there are times when the animation is kind of low quality". Pisses me off. I just want to enjoy something and not having weebs and toddlers act like it's god's gift to mankind.

nobody only talks about "just animation"

in terms of just animation TTGL isn't even that good, quality varies wildly. There are a lot of 10/10 scenes but Imaishi is known for a ton of low-effort budget-saving shit

pretty much every movie has higher average animation quality than TTGL
as for full series, most KyoAni stuff has better average animation than TTGL

TTGL's animation is full of highs but mostly lows, and it's the highs we remember

I feel the same towards Hunter x Hunter, I love everything about it but it just feels wrong to say that it's the best manga of all time.

PSG was better

ttgl isn't blown out of proportion at all. it's legitimately one of the best anime ever.

SNK is a terrible example because it's casual as shit, all the normies lap it up. Same with OPM. Naruto and Bleach are too mainstream now, so casuals go one level deeper and praise the next slightly-less-mainstream thing as THE BEST EVER. It's a symptom of modern anime and has nothing to do with TTGL

>Same with OPM. Naruto and Bleach are too mainstream now, so casuals go one level deeper and praise the next slightly-less-mainstream thing as THE BEST EVER
Like TTGL?

>Here's hoping Promare aspires to the same level of greatness.
Woah fuck I completely missed that announcement, I'm already fucking hype though

Isn't promare Latin?

TTGL is 10 years old. It's no longer the new hotness. Things can fall out of mainstream you know. Right now it's incomparable to shit like OPM or SNK. OPM and SNK are what normies watch and then call themselves anime fans.

I've never watched ttgl but it looks cool.
I liked dead leaves it's from the same guy right?
also he was involved in FLCL didn't he

Second season was a mess desu

yeah, that's the work of imaishi aka the true saviour of anime.

why do you faggots care about the fanbase of anime you watch.

Enjoy the shows you enjoy,
Even if everyone else hates them,
Even if everyone else enjoys them,
You have fun. It's what Imaishi would've wanted

Its not like TTGL didn't age well, its still very high up on MAL.
Compare that to something like Lucky Star, which was also massively popular and just as loved at the time but now most people who are newer to the medium haven't even seen it.

/m/ masturbates to mecha daily

because actual anime fans still exist and rate it highly. It's different from AoT/SAO/OPM, which are hugely popular by normies but are ultimately FOTM. In 10 years TTGL will still be highly rated. In 10 years nobody will remember the AoT or SAO or OPM.

Hello?

it's shit

just because it ostensibly has similarities to TTGL doesn't mean it has nearly the same quality

>You cant masturbate to mecha

Well I knew nothing from the manga and only had the anime to go off of. I also love Production I.G. There was a sense of despair looming over the first season while most anime are bursting with kawaii uguu ^__^ and shitty jokes that throw you out of the moment. Season 2 thus far has been generic garbage, however. Some moments of hype but it's gone too crazy.

except that hack stole literally everything from Needless

>You cant masturbate to mecha
Uncultured swine.

>literally all gurren lagann fanbase is in Sup Forums
You might as well dont come here, Ive never seen an anime get as much praise on Sup Forums then TTGL have and deservedly so

unsurprising you missed it, literally all we got was a single poster and no other information

>prōmāre
>second-person singular present passive subjunctive of prōmō
>prōmō
>take or bring out or forth, produce, bring to light.

TTGL copied a lot of shit but needless was not one of them

OPM is a good example. The show was great fun until the normies caught wind of it and started going nuts. Then you can't help but start questioning your tastes because a bunch of retards are raving about it

what IS Sup Forums's favorite anime? TTGL, CG, and NGE are probably the top 3

TTGL, watching the ending with Sup Forums was the pinnacle of this godless hellhole.

Wish I was here doing that time, sounds impossible to replicate

Old Sup Forums was much different than the 9polereddit shit it is now.

Mobile browsing and gamergate were the last straws for this site. There's too many ironic normies on the site (and the rest of the internet) now

I wish I was there, closest I got is watching CG with Sup Forums. that was a goddamn trip

wish I watched Samurai Flamenco with Sup Forums also. I initially wrote it off and didn't pick it up until after it aired

>because actual anime fans still exist and rate it highly.
The point is that TTGL is recommended when someone does even the slightest amount of digging, which makes it pretty entry-level. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but yeah the fanbase is going to be mostly comprised of casuals.
Reiterating, it aged really well so it didn't lose much of it's popularity.

Aquarion Logos trumped it and hard.

Mecha is practically dead now, must feel good knowing you made one of the last few ones.

>what IS Sup Forums's favorite anime?

Sup Forums's favorite anime are probably
>NGE
>CG
>TTGL
>Lain
>Bebop

>when someone does even the slightest amount of digging
nah, most SAO normies don't bother

if they do, TTGL will probably turn them off. Mecha is a difficult genre to get in to. Fuck, I don't even like mecha and TTGL is my favorite show

FMA and Steins;gate are the next go-to anime for normies. I know this because my friend is one

>monogatari
>madoka

why does Sup Forums like TTGL and Bebop so much? There's nothing particularity amazing about them.

Imaishi is so elated in fact that he keeps making the same show over and over.

>>second-person singular present passive subjunctive
This is what makes Latin so hard. I didn't even learn English grammar

But yeah from what I'm seeing you're right, it is just the poster, but it's the most hype poster I've seen in a while

He somehow made his stupid writing work within the series.

I expected kill la kill to do better desu

>Mecha is a difficult genre to get in to
Dude, TTGL is the definitive "I don't like mecha, but..." series. Right up there with CG and NGE.
Hell, what do normalfags even watch and decide that they don't like mecha from? Macross F?

So basically shit taste all around with some good ones mixed in.
Well I guess that's good to know.
Maybe you shouldn't really find excuses for normies being turned off. Maybe it's really just trash.
I can tell by the entry-level shit you mention in the same post.

Everyone forgets that the writer Nakamura is often credited for most of the series deep points when it comes to writing

Kamen Rider Fourze was pretty stupid desu

I like all of those (including macross) and I don't consider myself liking mecha.

Saying you like mecha implies that you like the giant robots, which I don't. There are many mecha shows like Valvrave and Linebarrel that I dropped like a sack of bricks

the entire point is that normies are drawn to entry-level shit. My friend is normie as fuck an he loves CG, AoT, SAO, FMA, and Steins;gate, and he's never seen TTGL

KLK is fun but nobody would call it their favorite. It's a stretch to even call it good. It's a lot like Mako: a fun, entertaining character nobody ever takes seriously

>le funny just turn your brain off to enjoy it

Yeah whatever user,
SPL>KLK>>>TTGL

there's a difference between "entertaining" and "good" user, I'm sorry your tastes aren't mature enough to realize it yet

just cut the pretentious bs already

Do most people start with Gunbuster as one of their earlier ones? I would have thought FMP would have taken that spot.

>There are many mecha shows like Valvrave and Linebarrel that I dropped like a sack of bricks
So you watched the bottom of the barrel and decided you didn't like the genre? That's what I was getting to when I mentioned how people like NGE, TTGL, or CG yet claim they don't like mecha because they watched fucking Valvrave and thought the entire genre was like that. Have you watched Gunbuster, Gundam Build Fighters, any Imagawa mecha show, or even Getter Robo Armageddon?

nothing pretentious about it. There's a difference between enjoying a show and calling it good. I enjoyed the fuck out of Sakura Trick but I wouldn't call it good

>because objectively good is a thing

Needless had the potential to be great but just made too many mistakes.

The biggest being having the BBEG come back after he was betrayed by one of his elite four when that elite was objectively a way better character.

watched both gunbuster and diebuster

For me, mecha isn't definitive of the show. It's an element of the show. I think this is true of most non-mecha fans who enjoy shows with mecha. I didn't enjoy CG because it was mecha; I enjoyed it because of lulu and the 10/10 trainwreck plot twists. I didn't enjoy TTGL because it was mecha; I enjoyed it because it was an inspiring piece of work that was over-the-top and didn't take itself too seriously. I didn't enjoy Diebuster because it was mecha; I enjoyed it because it was incredibly well-made. If you somehow took the mecha out of these shows and replaced it without destroying the show's quality, I would've enjoyed them equally.

Saying you like mecha implies that you like giant robots, which I don't. I never watch a show just because it's mecha. Mecha is one of many elements in the show, and is very low on the priority list.

I was like this too.
I "didn't liked mecha but" because it was almost always about some war with other mecha or aliens and full of politics and I found it too complex and boring as a young teenager.

>Imaishi
Stop veering credit from Nakashima's incredible script work. Imaishi is an ideas guy, and barely even that. His main talent is animating.

the script had a ton of problems though

like a lot of times they explain things to you for no reason, like "oh that engine made from spiral power allows us to fire this super special missile that negates the proability of the anti-spiral dodging it"

there's no need to spew a bunch of technobabble in a show where everything is powered by how awesome it is at any given moment. nobody gives a fuck about how spiral energy allows you to warp between galaxies and make giant shields and shit. Taking even 3-4 seconds to give technobabble slows the pacing immensely and detracts from the moment and the scene

there's also tons of awkward dialogue in TTGL, but this is true of a lot of anime (and most shit made in Japan for that matter)

Patlabor doesn't deserve to be in that chart either.

that pic was asspull as fuck though

the premise, mechas, the laws of physics and the fucking universe are governed by the power of asspulls in this goddamn show user.

>monogatari
why do people like this pretentious shit? It's boring as fuck.

>Simon becoming a man is an asspull
?

Not quite the same. Senketsu is literally Da Garn (and Ankh, but more Da Garn)