Alternative Manga

Does Japan have an underground/alternative manga scene, like America and Britian

Other urls found in this thread:

hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/p/manga-recommendations.html
heavymetal.com/news/preview-gallery-heavy-metals-40th-anniversary-art-show/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, definitely. Pic related is a great place to start. The magazine Garo was the forerunner of alt/underground/comix. Yoshiharu Tsuge is the godfather of the movement imo.
Yoshihiro Tatsumi is amazing. I love his nihilistic short stories. Drawn & Quarterly released a lot of his stuff including 3 short story collections. His "A Drifting Life" is a fascinating look at the history of manga.
I would start with AX and branch out from the mangaka in that collection.
Tokyo Zombie is a one volume story with a very crude artstyle. It's quintessential "alt manga," too.

This is a promising thread.
What do you think of the Nishioka kyoudai?

Isn't Dorohedoro the most popular alternative manga?

>Nishioka kyoudai
I've only read a couple oneshots, but I love the stippling artstyle. Their content and narrative structure feels like a dream. They write like poetry.

Pic related is another good collection of alt manga. It has a great Suehiro Maruo story and a "Cat Soup" story.
The third collection I'd recommend is "Secret Comics Japan" which has some Usamaru Furuya. Hox scanlated his "Palepoli" years ago.

Oh yeah, Hox suggests plenty of great manga. It's pretty entry-level stuff, but it's a great place to start and you can familiarize yourself with artists like Iou Kuroda and Jiro Matsumoto.
hoxtranslations.blogspot.com/p/manga-recommendations.html

I buy this publication since 30 years. They make really good stuff.

I love old school Heavy Metal. Haven't read it since Grant Morrison took over. How is it now?

Japan has been doing it longer than America and Britain, Garo started in the 60's and from there you had COM and all of Tezuka's alternative stuff, it was a big deal back then before Western comics had even created alternative scenes

Yes and no, the manga industry is already a lot more underground than the comic industries in the west, only the very top most popular manga garner widespread public attention and even Shounen Jump has published some relatively alternative works. There is a lot less of a barrier between the two and it is easy to move from one to the other for most authors, this in a way takes away from there being a strong identity as a scene and so there is a lot more fragmentation seeing rise to strong individual scenes like yuri manga.

>the manga industry is already a lot more underground than the comic industries in the west
In general, manga is mainstream huge.

Tatsumi is the one who coined "gekiga" manga. Anyway if you can read JP then elemhunter is scanning Garo, he's pushing most of the alternative manga scanlations nowadays.

That's not exactly true user, the manga industry has a lot of actors in it rather than a few monolithic ones like in the west, but it doesn't really get such wide readership among the general population. There is the very top, the 100 or so most popular manga that do get that kind of widespread readership, but that makes up a very small portion of the industry, and even in the same publications as some of those widely popular manga are things that get next to no viewership.

See by yourself.
heavymetal.com/news/preview-gallery-heavy-metals-40th-anniversary-art-show/

Thank you very much for the info!
Is AX still in publication, and does it have a site?

Just buy it off Amazon.

>Yoshihiro Tatsumi
I can storytime The Pushman and Other Stories. Anyone interested?

AX is a Japanese ongoing magazine. The one he linked is the English edition which was scanned.

Yes
99% is untranslated and will pretty much remain that way though

Yes please!

Okay. Let's get this started.

Journey to the End of the World was nice even though it felt a bit too out there at times. Kami no Kodomo was just too much for me overall, I didn't really get it.

Reminder Elemhunter scans and uploads Garo and similar things that's just sitting there, waiting for someone to pick some of it up

I've removed some blank pages from the book here because Sup Forums detected them as duplicates.

You should read their oneshot collections.

And you should kill yourself faggot

Jesus Christ.

I hope this isn't 2lewd.

>Does Japan have an underground/alternative manga scene, like America and Britain
Manga publishing is WAY cheaper than Movie production & distribution & presentation (Cinemas were split-off due to monopoly concerns.).

There is no need for a specific indie-scene, because even small Publishers can eke out a living.