What is the modern day Neon Genesis Evangelion?

What is the modern day Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_UDcfOkOeTw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gurren lagann

Rebuild of Evangelion

foolish children will reply "re:creators"

Some dumb faggots said Kado was the new EoE.

ReZero

K-ON!!

NGE Reruns

Nothing. nothing will ever surpass it

Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls

Evangelion is eternal, it doesn't need to be renewed.

this

Madoka Magica.

wrong
wrong
wrong
wrong
right

Re:Zero. It's a brilliant deconstruction of isekai the way Eva deconstructs mecha. People will be discussing it decades from now a la NGE. Also Ram/Rem is exactly like Asuka/Rei but better!

unironically this

Nier Automata

No actual anime equivalent

In terms of influencing the industry? Probably Madoka.

Tell me one(1(uno(ein(ichi)))) anime that was influenced by Madoka

There have been plenty of grim dark magical girl series that cropped up after it. You'd have to be stupid not to see it.

Listen, I'm not saying Madoka was good, or even deep. I'm saying just in terms of influencing the industry, it did a lot. Gurren Lagann didn't influence the industry so much as encapsulate the late 80s early 90s, though it did lead to pretty much everything that Trigger is right now, so you could say it had some influence.

Why? What's your counter argument?

I...I have none, you absolutely proved your point and me wrong.

Sorry for doubting you.

No worries. I doubt that's what OP was going for, but who knows. I just wanted to take a serious stab at answering the baser question.

I'd love to hear some other ideas though. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of anime that influenced the industry.

SAO influenced a million Isekais that came after it.

That is... possible. I'm curious if it was the precursor or if it just rode the crest of the wave. Arguments could be made for both.

The answer is obvious

this

This, if you consider a decade ago modern

this

Oreimo.

Influence isnt necessarily good
Praising Eva because "it influencied things" is moronic and meaningless. It need to be judged by its own merits, not by its successors.

So no, nothing came even close to the characterization, story, narrative and delivery of Eva in the last 15 years

>influencing the industry
That would be SAO_________

Yeah, they're both asspulls

I never said it was good. You can't judge Evangelion on if it's good or bad because it's subjective and everyone is going to have a different anime that they like as much as Eva. So all you can do is look at it from an influential angle.

And honestly, if you think Evangelion is somehow the pinnacle of characterization, story, narrative and delivery, you really don't watch much anime.

Eva almost single handedly launched the production committee era. Madoka isn't even close.

That's a stretch.

Not him but I have watched my fair share of it and eva is unsurpassed in all those aspects.
I know you want to keep (false) hope in this medium but it is dying a horrible death.

Both Eva and Madoka have extremely faithful, unbreakable fanbases. Both had a tragic story and both deal with existentialism. I treally hink Madoka is the closest modern anime to Eva we have.

All I can say is I'm sorry you feel that way. There have been plenty of incredible anime since Evangelion so I'm sorry you've been unable to enjoy them.

Existentialism is meme trash that has no spot in Madoka. Fucking /r/edditors.

Surpass it in its lack of merit?

Madoka had much more influence critically than on the industry. It did precede several "grimdark magical girl" anime, but these are few in number. I can only think of Yuki Yuna and Ikusei Keikaku off the top of my head, though I know there are others. My point is that Madoka hasn't changed the industry in a significant way, only provided an inspirational element for some shows.

Eureka Seven did everything this shitshow did, better, and actually had the nuts to resolve itself through extreme means.

What do you think the answer is then? I'm genuinely curious.

Great sure:
Aku no hana, NHK, Ping Pong, etc. Eva great? Not one.
I love anime but nothing has come close to Eva or even lain as a whole.
The directing is the fucking best by a large margin here, the plot is great and the themes are treated in a non-retarded, non-patronizing manner.

You have a terminal case of shit taste.

>So no, nothing came even close to the characterization, story, narrative and delivery of Eva in the last 15 years

K-On

there's so much wrong with this post i don't even know where to start

NGE is fucking terrible, so no virtually every series has surpassed it.
Fucking teenagers.
No, you do.
>waaah im so pathetic lmao i masturbate to anime girls and >read freud once
Absolute teenage babble.

>lain
>nge
Literally 14: the post
You don't understand Madoka or existentialism. At least Madoka had an art direction, existentialism is teenage garbage.
Keep your wikipedia bullshit elsewhere.

No.

You completely misunderstand their places in relation to each other and the medium.
If Eva was a deconstruction, E7 was the reconstruction response.
It didn't do anything better, the perspective and intent is completely different.
Both are fantastic and pulled the genre forward in different and interesting ways.

Kill yourself frogposter.

I understand them fine.

E7 takes every soppy theme in NGE and finds its solution, multiple even. It has so much more going for it than the essential, "I'm sad!" of NGE.

Considering the modern era began a century ago, it would be Neon Genesis Evangelion

>the essential, "I'm sad!" of NGE
>you are this bad at basic story comprehension

>essential
>you are this bad at basic reading comprehension

Eromanga-sensei

You're both fucking retarded.

And this guy is the dumbest of all.
>"I'm sad!"
yes user. that is literally all that is presented to us in this series. I'm glad you've established that your IQ is less than 100.

Do you not know what fucking 'essential' means? Fucking illiterate teen.
ESSENTIAL DOES NOT MEAN EXCLUSIVE, OR ONLY, OR SINGULAR.

In terms of the original question, Madoka is a modern Evangelion based on the character narratives, psychological explorations, and subversion of genre conventions. In terms of industry influence, I'd agree with . Hell, we have 3 isekai this season. I can't think of any other 2010s anime with that kind of influence.

I'm still trying to think if SAO created the isekai flood or was just riding the popularity of them.

Name 1 show that actually does "normal-seeming thing spirals into depression and horror" well other than Ideon and Eva

what part of eva is normal, user?

this is why you're retarded. no one said exclusive, singular, or only; you raging autist. you said: it has so much going for it other than the all-important 'i'm sad'. i used a synonym for ya bud, that way you don't 'tism out again when you wrongly believe you're being misinterpreted.

i'm addressing the fact that the "essential" point of EVA is not "i'm sad." It is deeper and more profound than being sad. A person so far along the spectrum, such as yourself, may be incapable of empathizing with emotions like this. therefore, you reduce EVA's "essential" element to the banal "I'm sad." It's pretty pathetic that you're incapable of interpreting what the show is really trying to convey.
poor, lonely, all-caps user

youtube.com/watch?v=_UDcfOkOeTw

The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
>set industry standards
>influenced, changed and created several genres

Not him, but Eva looks like a generic shounen mecha battle series at first.

Too soon to tell, but I'ma go with this.

There isn't any because we aren't 14 years old, trying to find our place in life anymore.

don't tell me you feel superior for being 20+ years old and still watching anime.

It needs to be done
Isekai eva
Instead of evas, they dive avatar style and get transported to a world with rpg mechanics to fight other avatars
Avatars are op, just like your average isekai
if they dont do this other avatars bring the fight to the real world
Fight is battle royale style
people know about this because leaks and because the first fight destroyed cities
The reason for the fights, what are avatars, and other details are never explained but hinted to be somethind dark
If the hp of your avatar is becoming low the fight is tansported to your world, if it hits 0 you die
it will be a hit screenshot

>Fucking teenagers.
>Absolute teenage babble.
Whoah, I think this here nigga just turned 21. Better watch out, guys!

Half of your description fits that new Spielberg movie, whose original "script" feature actual EVAs but they got cut because there is no way they can get all the rights to do it.

Magical Girl Raising Project and Re:Creators.

I would say that Re:Creators is going a little too far. Just because they have one typical mahou shoujo character doesn't necessarily mean that they were inspired by Madoka Magica.

More importantly, it's spawned a bunch of crummy grimderp knockoffs and killed most of the original genre it was reimagining.

Princess Principal

The one magical girl wasn't typical, though. It was fucking Madoka. The exception has become the rule.

What made you think that she was Madoka? She was pink, and there have always been plenty of pink magical girls. That was literally the sole similarity between them. You're forgetting that for the majority of the series, Madoka had a very small will of her own, and was rather indecisive and soft-spoken too. On the other hand, Mamika was throwing around explosions willy-nilly until she was told to stop, and she had a strict resolve far before Madoka ever did. Also, in the end, Mamika got fucking thrashed, whereas Madoka became a God. So, do tell me user, how are they so dramatically similar to the point where Re:Creators is obviously inspired completely by Madoka Magica?

Wombat cannonball.

If that's the metric, Lucky Star blows it out of the water.

Evangelion

The shit is still ongoing

>ITS MORE PROFOUND ITS LIKE EXISTENTIALISM BRO
Fuck off, you illiterate.Stop projecting your autism, NGE is like fucking Star Wars in Japan, a country only second in autism to China.

I am superior, that's why I put my efforts into a superior series rather than babbys first robot with some wikipedia-article psychology.
I turned 29 months ago

>what is the citizen kane of video games
this is a dumb question

Re:Zero

Good thing he didn't ask that then.

Probably, Love Live.

This.

no one actually believes this except underages, right?

Unironically, I consider Love Live in its present state to be far more sophisticated than NGE.

That's literally what he's asking, anons should stop asking dumb questions.

>a yuri harem bait show
>anything near Eva quality

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

If anything is Eva quality, its Madoka.

Madoka easily. But if you're talking on a more literal level then Fafner or Rahxephon.

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyō
YuYuYu
And what the other user said.

Idk, Utena came out the same year as Eva and it blows it out of the water.

SAO is just a hot premiss, but Eva is supposed to be an analysis. So with that in mind I would also have to go with Madoka being the 'Modern Eva'

>I need literary themes shoved in my face relentlessly which is why I prefer 2deep4u pseudointellectual shit like NGE

Damn dude, you want a medal or something?