How did such generic edge shit become so popular?

How did such generic edge shit become so popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golgo_13#Production
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Aesthetics

Repressed murderous urges are a scary thing

>generic
I imagine it wasn't quite so generic back when it was created in 1968.

>calling dark content edgy

>generic
Name 5 other manga that do the same thing.

It was probably more generic. After all, it started as a James Bond fanfic.

Watch out OP.

>After all, it started as a James Bond fanfic.
And yet, it couldn't be anything less like James Bond.
James Bond is a story about James Bond the super spy, basically an escapist fantasy.
Golgo13 is a story about the people whose lives are affected by Golgo13 the invincible assassin, who less of a character and more of a force of nature. It's not really about him.

>It's not really about him.
It used to be different.

the manga is almost 50 years old, of course it used to be different.

And that was the point of the past tense used in the post you responded to.

>it was original when it came out
>>no it was spy shit like a million other things
>well its not like that now
>>it was when it came out (the time frame you mentioned)
>well yeah, moron
The fuck was your point again?

Id assume most of the fans of Golgo are now 30-40+

Golgo is what all men wish they could be, it's a simple power fantasy.

Manlyness.

Are you implying I'm not like Golgo?

>all men

Everyone aspires to be Golgo. Men, women, homos, lesbians, even faggots.

Eyebrows.

No one talking about Golgo 13 has actually read it anyway since only about 10 chapters are translated.

More like 13 volumes, official release, plus fan efforts.

I've only seen the anime and that shit was top notch.

I have a raging homolust for stoic and professional characters though.

Also this.

Golgo 13 is so fucking popular in Japan. When I went last month every single konbini had volumes of Golgo in it, the only one I saw as consistently was Akagi and even that didn't come close. Hell when I landed in Narita one of the first things I saw was a Golgo poster.

>the only one I saw as consistently was Akagi
Not One Piece?

too bad it's not getting translated anymore

It's too long.

>generic
For japanese manga and anime market - it's one of a kind

Why would anyone aspire to be a criminal scumbag who kills for money ?
I could understand it for Kenshiro, since he's unbelievably strong but uses his might to make the world a better place.

The kind of sociopathic hero like Golgo 13 was a huge thing back in the late 40 - early 50s, when pulp magazines were still popular - it is escapism.

And beside, the manga to me always seems more about the people Golgo about to kill than himself.

4th post best post

>Why would anyone aspire to be a criminal scumbag who kills for money ?
Because a well-done murder is like solving a puzzle for money. At least that's what some people think.
Try Forsythe's "Day of the Jackal". You may disagree with OAS as I do, but you can't say that Jackal's activities are not interesting.
Same goes to mercenary movies like "Dogs of War" or "Wild Geese"

Never said the manga wasn't great and thrilling to read, but I personally think killing people for money to be kind of wrong.

>killing people for money to be kind of wrong.
Better to have them killed for money than for ideals. At least with money, you can monopolize the violence and grant a measure of security on those that are not lucrative to kill.

Unless you believe that you're fighting bad guys. And during Cold War era finding a bad guy wasn't so hard.

Well it is job

Can you imagine filling out your tax form as a hitman?

You don't have to pay taxes, that's the strong side.
But probably you won't be that wealthy to afford a house on the shore near Marseilles and a red Ferrari.

Duke Togo is canonically extremely rich, to the point where people recognized him just by his wealth figure.

godtier western influence/taste in nips

Yeah, that's Duke. But I'm trying to talk about real life too. And in real life the trigger men are not wealthier than Alain Delon's hero in Le Samourai.

In Konbini the tankobon seemed more limited to mature series, I don't know if the One Piece was always sold out or what but I didn't really see much jump since they sold the magazine a few feet away. One Piece was huge in any book or manga store, but didn't really have much presence in tankobon form in Konbinis.

One Piece was the first billboard I saw, though.

It could be worse, could be the situation Guyver is in.

>You don't have to pay taxes,
Now that's just evil.

Ah, I recall an exception - hours services, like water and electricity

I wonder if the manga will end soon since the author is old as fuck now.

He already stated that he wants to wrap things up. But since he's not writing the stories, the finale is not really up to him.

that's why you steal and murder instead of murdering alone.

Wheres the scanlations

>The protagonist of a fiction work is morally wrong, so I don't like it.
What kind of bigottry is this? Also, in many chapters, Golgo is hardly the focus. He just gets the job done after being told all about the client/target story.

The same way generic harem shit got popular. The same way generic cute girls doing cute things got popular. The same way idolshit got popular. The same way all sort of waifubait bullshit got popular. But I guess since you're such a fucking loser that a girl will never so much as look your way irl those appeal to you more huh? Fucking faggot. Kill yourself.

I dunno, how does generic moe trash get to the point of popularity it has achieved?

>But since he's not writing the stories
Uh, what? Cite your source.

>the finale is not really up to him
The finale has already been written. By him.

It wasn't generic back then

>A E S T H E T I C
and NOSTALGIC

I have a consumist dream of buying all Golgo 13 volumes.

Because you can get mad dosh for a comfy retirement and lifestyle, while also removing folks that goes against a collective interest which can be unbeneficial to you and the folks you support. Just take a good luck at Latin America in general.

>But probably you won't be that wealthy to afford a house on the shore near Marseilles and a red Ferrari.
But why would I want to live in a first world country when I can find a comfy, secure and developed zone for less in the Caribbean and Latin America (while also establishing connections with the locals). It's all about planning, reputation and negotiation to get by if you mean real life.

It's not as prestigious. But it's safe and all.

>But why would I want to live in a first world country when I can find a comfy, secure and developed zone for less in the Caribbean and Latin America
Lower theft and murder rates as well as access to more modern commodities with higher quality of life.

Source?

How about you find a source on some bleach and drink it retard.

You're a tuff one.

same reason garbage like james bond is world famous

Yotsuba is one of Golgo's many illegitimate children!!!

You're amazingly terrible at following a conversation.

Just look it up.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golgo_13#Production
It's also discussed in the hour-long documentary on his work, where he insists he's still the real creative force behind Golgo13 because he's the one drawing his face.

As long as Saito remains the one who will create the ending, I don't mind.