ITT: shows loved by the West that flopped in Japan

Let's discuss shows that for some reason the West likes, while Japan didn't. We also discuss why the West liked them, and why Japan didn't.

Only 12-year-olds and ironic weeaboos liked that piece of trash.

Shut the fuck up dude
Is a Masterpiece

Cowboy Bebop

The Big O

Wrong

Sold extraordinarily well in Japan.

To be specific, it seems to be particularly popular on Sup Forums but not elsewhere.

Similar case (popular on Sup Forums, flop elsewhere)

Too much exposition from the rei clone

Says the 12 year old ironic weeb.
It was a good show. Get over it.

Your thinking of Trigun.

>

It was too far ahead of its time

Bd vol.4 when?

why though

Samurai Champloo

Or pretty much anything by Manglobe that isn't titled Karneval or TWGOK.

I miss this series.

There's a difference between talking about it and being popular.

I thought this topped some seasonal anime poll in japan.

It flopped in Japan. For all the hype and pushing it got there, the first volume couldn't even sell 3k. Also, apparently even the funeral gimmick didn't do well there.

Silly, over-the-top fanservice as a sport. Portuguese are making it real, too.

>Deadman wonderland
I guess they are sick of survival game stories

That did stupidly well on Toonami

I'm surprised they didn't co-produce a S2 instead of doing more FLCL

Keijo is easy, no nipples in the BDs.

Cockona thread?

only people that liked this shit were ironic weebs and anime-only jojoshits, it didnt do well in japan because they shit out fanservice moeblobs every weekend and market is oversaturated

This is true, cowboy bebop isn't well known here at all. On the other hand wan piss is extremely popular here while Sup Forums don't seem to like it much.

>Sup Forums don't seem to like it much.
Sup Forums's One Piece fanbase was relatively respected, for a big3. I'm not sure what exactly caused it to go to shit.

Pretty sure this one flopped so hard because jap otaku don't like to laugh at themselves, and have really boring taste in girls.
The anime probably wouldn't have even happened if not for the overseas success of the manga.

Hey Japan how's it going

Shame later in the manga it got interesting

Hello. Worked hard all day as usual.

Stop slacking off and go back to work.

Saint Seiya is popular in China and South America, but it is not very remembered in Japan.

>I'm not sure what exactly caused it to go to shit.
O my rubber gear forth.

Welcome to the NHK

Shinsekai Yori

We love our smutty dramas here in the west. I don't think the Japanese were too keen on the subject matter.

Actually I think a lot of hipster shows like were like that.

No one liked this shit

Kejio well liked in Japan, the ones who liked it just didn't buy it

Is Saint Seiya forgotten in Japan? There is always some new spin-off manga coming and anime, are they all made for the foreign market and fujoshi?

>Saint Seiya is popular in China

Really? I tought it was only popular in Romance Europe and Latin-America.

Too much of a 3D feeling for Japanese audience. Immediatelly licenced, translated and published in the west.

I'm West and I liked it.

Too early to tell.

>Re Creators
>Popular on Sup Forums

>a few autists circlejerking
>popular on Sup Forums

>popular on Sup Forums
Sup Forums likes sharkgirl and nothing else.

Stop lying faggot.

My understanding of Cowboy Bebop is that it definitely was popular in Japan and well-regarded, sold well, etc. But the emphasis is on WAS, it did well at the time and was forgotten over the decades. It's only in the West where it's regarded as one of the all time best classics.

Japan has no appreciation for the ass. And also no no nipples in the BDs. Man, even the manga got suddenly canceled.

>The Big O

God, Season 3 will never happen and it hurts.

I feel like if it ended better and stayed more consistent and actually delivered on the /u/ this would have been more of a cult classic via delayed appreciation and word-of-mouth. It started off extremely strong with some amazing visual + animation and a pretty high concept. It was amazing for at least 6 episodes. And it still had good episodes after, but that's when it started to go downhill, and by the last 3 episodes is just a trainwreck. Animation got worse, all the mystery and high-minded concepts with philosophy and classical art references turns out to be just a stupid fucking Eva ripoff and CocoPapi never even chuchu aaaaaaaagh.

So while it was really good at first, anyone who was engaged enough in the first place to stick around ended up having their expectations betrayed and their opinions soured. It becomes hard to recommend because of how much the show nosedives. Even it wasn't the bad by the end, it wasn't good either. Flip Flappers would probably have done better in the long run if all its fans could easily recommended it as an overlooked classic, but... they can't.

To add to the topic, most shows by Trigger. I'm gonna go ahead and count PSG as Trigger.

>Japan has no appreciation for the ass.

This kills me a ass man and otaku.

Just looking at pictures of this show makes me want to die. Every episode of this is a slog but I want to see how it ends

Why?

reall

I don't understand why Keijo failed, but i can kind of see why sense feminist overtones like bodyposativity doesn't really go over well in Otaku culture.

Nichijou flopped hard yet its very popular in the west, which I feel is why they need to expand their property to more international markets. they don't need to pander, just let us be able to give them money and advertising time.

The only reason Nichijou flopped was its retarded pricing. It's very popular in Japan.
>feminist overtones
Just shut up.

Mirai Nikki? Sure as hell was shit

I think Keijo flopped more due to the manga's unpopularity in general than its plot or themes.

The anime flopped there but as far as I know the manga sold well over there, so at best that could probably be considered a borderline case.

Because it focused on butts. Also, these kind of fat butts aren't seen as attractive in Japan.

>massive amounts of body verity
>the non-sexualization of traditionally sexualized body parts
>skill with your bodytype is emphasized over ideal bodytypes
>none of the characters are doing what they are doing for titillation

its quite literally a feminist thesis on reclaiming and repurposing female sexuality to something absurdists.

haven't read the manga, i assume it has the same body positive plot and themes.

It was a shitty version of ben-to

Boruto is now part of this list.
The west love it but Japan hates it.

>Boruto is now part of this list.
>The west love it but Japan hates it.

Why? Not enough Sasuke or something?

NHK ni Youkoso. I have no explanation for the popularity disparity between Japan and the West, given that it's about the hikikomori phenomenon specifically.

Apparently Tenkuu no Escaflowne wasn't very popular in Japan. The movie was released because of the international audience. Really shows what shitty taste nips have.

THIS. THIS SO MUCH. It was too fun for this world.

This right here is a quality shitpost, I smiled.

Because it's critical of them.

Baccano.

SOL.
No Kakashi, Sasuke.
No Bad Ass Naruto Fights.
Too much Hinata considering we all love her, they don't.
Manga clothes and designs.
There was a huge list man.
They all watched the ending of Shippuden though.

Jesus christ, from the pretentious direction and awful character conclusions, I'm glad this bombed. Let me give you a short character analysis starting clockwise:

Teacher Mcgangbang - No lesson learned. You could say it was a bitter and down-to-earth ending for some, but this is a drama. She's done nothing worth emotionally investing into that you just feel this character was here because the author wanted someone to push her wild fantasies about being a naughty slut with a prince to carry her home after she had enough of everyone.

"loli" - It felt like it was at the tip of the iceberg to her side of the story but it got stuck on the way down. We got to her motives, her biggest moment and downfall but nothing much afterwards. Just a miserable girl who has to live the rest of her highschool life feeling betrayed because she never made advancements in her relationship with the guy she likes. Again, one of the worst things to leave off in a drama before ending. If you're seeing a patter right now, you're probably seeing why I hate this show.

Pretty boy - So far to be the most satisfied out of the losing team, even for being a big loser at least his side of the story came to a close. Things didn't work out but he had a shot and took it. Nice.

MC - The most developed and most sorely hit out of the crew. Took time to heal only to hurt the friend she thought she could have. But she stands as the most dignified out of the losers to fall from grace.

Dyke - More or less just a third-wheel to MC's ride. Her biggest trait is being a loser lesbo who won no one and lost little in return.

"that guy" - Rather being a character himself, he was a just a plot device to get the slut and MC moving across the board. We don't even know what does he have to do with a "Scum's Wish" other than maybe open to an open relationship with a devious woman just because he fell for her good looks and twisted game. I can't even hate him because he lacks any sort of presence.

Did 10,000 times better in the US than in Japan. While not a flop it certainly wasn't a hit

>novel
I was so close to picking it up.

I wonder about that myself. Until some point OP threads were allowed by the fanbase itself only on 2, maybe 3 days in a week (Thursday and Sunday), but suddenly endless generals started to happen and it at went to shit from there. I'm sad to see BnHA following the same route.

Why was the anime so mean to her? She didn't deserve being defeated constantly. ;_;

>11k average volume sales in the 90s
You're full of shit, the BD box sold well too

SSY isn't popular anywhere besides tumblr and in shitposting threads

>reading this thread
japan has some god awful taste. holy shit

shitposting thread count is proportional to popularity on Sup Forums

That's pretty easy. Shippers found Sup Forums. They don't care one bit about the anime or manga they latch on outside of shipping, so naturally they don't bring any quality discussion with them. The same happened to Bleach threads, Naruto threads and Tokyo Ghoul threads, and is currently happening to BnHA threads. They always latch to generals for popular anime and manga so they can push their ship. They don't even care about romance or particularl characters. Shipping is a hobby for them and they don't care that they ruin the fun for everyone else with their incessant shitposting.

>>the non-sexualization of traditionally sexualized body parts
>>skill with your bodytype is emphasized over ideal bodytypes
>>none of the characters are doing what they are doing for titillation
It was sexualized, albeit in an over-the-top premise that adhered to the show's theme. So it falls on both sides of the fence.

>loved by the West

This, essentially. Generals are cancer for the culture they bring. Endless talking but nothing of substance, feeling like they are some sort of "community" and that justifies the off topic and just plain shitposting.

Because it's pretentious shit
A true hikkineet relishes in his situation instead of whining and complaining like that faggot Sato

>3DPD

Nice meme. He was showing an example.

Loved by spics that DEMAND a new season every time they can.

nigga what the fuck u think popular means?

>Loved

Well liked by a significant quantity of a given population.
Not to be confused with "well known" or "infamous", either of which could also generate lots of discussion.

Naruto

>4th best selling Manga of all times in Japan
Nice projection.