Revolutionary Girl Utena

>is the school whore
>fucking weird ass cringy personality
>fucks her brother
>literal backstabber
>cuckette
So, wait... After all this shit, the happy ending is she's alive due to Utena's sacrifice, as is her asshole brother who's putting EotW back together, but she's gonna leave to start her own hero's journey looking for the friend who she knows very well is dead at basically Anthy's own hand.

Am I missing something? Why is the Rose Bride such a fucking cunt?

It's an allegory. Lol.

I must be dense. Could you elaborate?

Anthy was just a soulless puppet for most of the show, also I thought Utena's death was just a simulation?

>Why is the Rose Bride such a fucking cunt?

mostly due to cynicism
She sacrificed herself to be tortured constantly for her brother who left her out to dry for years. She eventually thought that there wasn't going to be a hero to save her which is why when she was saved she couldn't believe it and lashed out against her.

Anthy was used because she is a woman.
In the end Utena frees herself form the world of patriarchy by her own efforts and Anthy follows in her footsteps.

meant for

OP here. This is what I got, but yet Utena and Anthy still had many moments of bonding and we see through Anthy's calm detachment several times which indicates some of her was still in there... but then this suggests she was in possession of her senses when she ran Utena through.
>I thought Utena's death was just a simulation?
I didn't get that, though. When she freed Anthy, she took the 1000 blades in her place.

I like this but how do you explain the division between the two women over Akio? Is that just the mangaka's way to show how the patriarchal state pits women against one another?

I thought the blades were just a metaphor/another simulation.

>I like this but how do you explain the division between the two women over Akio?
It was a moment of weakness on Utena's side but it helped her find new strength and regain her nobility.

>I thought the blades were just a metaphor/another simulation.
You mean, like, the castle itself? I thought that, too, and I'm certain there's a metaphor in there still, but the blades were the construct trapping Anthy's soul and they obviously had some physical effect on Utena because she's torn apart and then not seen again...

Although now that I'm thinking about it, we do overhear the students at her school musing on a couple rumors about why Utena has disappeared, which could indicate that one of those rumors is the actual truth and that she did indeed "transfer out because she got stabbed in the back by a friend" - which is one of the rumors being passed around.

Hmmm... I don't know if that supports the patriarchy theme for me. How did it help her regain her nobility? It seemed to me she never lost it and was a huge stain on her conscience until she was able to free Anthy.

>I don't know if that supports the patriarchy theme for me.
I've watched the series along time ago and I don't really remember that much about it so I'm pretty much memeing but those things are common knowledge among Utena fans at this point. If you liked it you might want to watch the movie. I don't think it is particularly good but it is quite unsubtle about what its themes so it might be instructive to you.

Trying to tell what is real and what is not in an Ikuhara work is pointless.

Everything shown to you is real, yes, Utena was really stabbed with a 1000 swords.
Yes there were penguins following them around.
Yes bears eat people.

The real Anthy was locked away in that coffin

>I don't think it is particularly good but it is quite unsubtle about what its themes so it might be instructive to you.
Yeah, I appreciate subtlety in narrative but maybe I need to be beaten over the head to figure out what the fug was going on in the author's head. There just seemed to be so many logical disconnects and bizarre human behaviors in the series that I'm kinda scratching my head still. It's a pretty artfully done work. I really enjoyed it - but the ambiguity is niggling at me.

Pretty much what I'm gleaning as I work through this shit.

My question is if the dueling arena is the highest point on campus, where are the student council members who end up watching other duels (like touga and jury) watching from?

seems like they just gotten correspondence from Akio after the fact

>Am I missing something?
Yes. Anthy is a victim of society. The duelists were mostly cunts that didn't even see her as a person, but as a tool/replacement.

The TV show is just a prologue to the real masterpiece that is the movie.

Don't bully her.

>the real masterpiece that is the movie.
The movie is only good for it's visuals.

I look at the movie as an interesting suppliment