Who is the best sword and shield user in anime?

Who is the best sword and shield user in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3U6_Qk_Q2oU
youtube.com/watch?v=al1CpCfSEHo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Swords are for nerds, polearm superior weapon.

Wagner

Oh yeah? Well, how come there's no MC, real or fictional uses this "polearm" as a main weapon.

Swords 1
Polearms 0

Do you even Guan Yu?

Who gives a rat's ass about that blithering dumbass?
Lost to a country bumpkin, no less.

Different user here, don't care much for Guan Yu, but 1000 years ago EVERYBODY was a country bumpkin.

>GAY BULGE!
>ROUGE ANUS!

>anime characters
>using shields
please. any anime character with a sword is either dual wielding or two handing a big sword. japan hates shields

Nobody likes shields because they don't make a good looking fight. It' a lot more aesthetically pleasing to parry.

Why the fuck do the nips hate shields?
Even in stuff about medieval europe or fantasy stuff with a european setting you never see shields or soldiers locking shields together.

It's not that they hate shields, shields were just never a huge part of their martial tradition.

Lu Meng was notably illiterate and a slightly above average officer (clever and witty in his own rights, but ultimately suffered from his lack of education) until about nine years before his invasion of Jing.

Fighting choreography is entertaining when it's like a dance rather than a realistic fight.

It's the same reason why spears aren't used unless they're bladed in such a way to allow slashing.

Slashes and parries = entertaining fight
stab spamming and effortless blocking with shields = boring fight.

Wagner is the cutest Inbirth

Western media has this problem too actually. Shields just look less cool despite their practicality

Also 1000xfolded steel somehow doesn't chip when you parry 20+ times in a single fight.

Because sword fights are inherently unrealistic in the first place. Swords are for poking peasants and HONARABU duels of 1-2 slashes before someone dies/injured heavily.

So, you're saying that in the real world, its more likely that people use long stabby things with a shield instead of two handed slashy things or dual slashy things?

How will I enjoy things now?

>tfw Cap Murrika in anime
Fuck I want him to use FINAL JUSTICE

I see your post and raise you literally anything done by Jackie Chan that contains spear-work.

It is literally a stab spam-fest and is also really fun to watch.

In most wars spears and shields were preferable to swords because humans are in fact not like anime where they could stay calm and collective and not care about injury risks.

The reality was being a pussy and spamming stabs with your spears while hiding behind a shield.

Swords were just flashy dance weapons for killing peasants. They were also expensive as shit. I mean they were great weapons and some swords like middle eastern curved swords were amazing mounted weapons, but most soldiers preferred a bit of distance.

Not someone from that SAO shit, that's for sure

My problem with those spear tricks like those tiny rapid parries is it's just the opponents trying to almost gently knock the spear out of the others path so they can go in for the thrust. It doesn't come off as a genuine form of parry which you get from sword combat.

>Implying
Shield bashes are sexy, nips just have shit taste as usual.

Calm down. He's from the first half.

You're already an user, there's no real need to try to fit in here.

sup

Do Gundams count? If so, then RX-78-2.

Time to end this and drop the atom bomb of spear choreography.

youtube.com/watch?v=3U6_Qk_Q2oU

Probably that guy from Record of Lodoss War.

Hime from YZQ's ultimate power is the dragon lance, although most of the time she is just using a staff. That's honestly the only one I can think of. It's a shame, I love polearms.

Also those shoujou with a knight side character guardian, there's like three of them now... Prince arslan senki or whatever was the first now there's like three faggot shows like that.

Obligatory shieldpost

There are a few animes like Absolute Duo where the main character uses only a shield.

The Major's adventures in rice land.

youtube.com/watch?v=al1CpCfSEHo

Shield Bro getting animated soon.

This mother fucker right here. He won the day against a threat powerful enough to defeat the gods.

Pile driver shield is best shield

I would have to agree. For a tank it is almost vital.

I don't get it.
They're using poles with no spearhead.
They're mostly doing slashing motion rather than stabbing motion.

F-
See me after class.

>sao

>what is Moribito

this fucking guy appears every time

Why the fuck did the second season suck so hard?

Honestly the first season sucked a lot worse. It was "Lol so random comedie" until the end when the stakes were raised. If you were a fan of guys going into the girls' bath house then I can see that the second season with its ever increasing threats to the party was not your style. However, for those watching it as a drama it really exceeded expectations and had quite a good payoff in the end.

How hype are ya

You wouldn't use this kinda spear would you?

Sorry, he's an escapee from /tg/. He shitposts all the time and hangs out in /orsg/.

why not? you're using it to slay enemies, not to ask the girl of your dreams to a dance.

An arrow cost as much as a lance. If it were a good arrow that is. Or even a shitty one used at Agincourt.

Speaking of swords, I see the assertion a lot in this thread that it is only useful for killing peasants. But what about a situation where you have 2v2 or something similar. A polearm ins't going to be so useful since somebody can bumrush you and fuck you up. Would not a sword be the way to go here since it has capabilities both offensive and defensive?

context?

Swords being expensive is more of an early medieval thing. When metallurgy became more advanced making swords became also significantly cheaper. Also it was not a matter of using either swords or pole-arms, in most cases people who used pole-arms also had a sword by their side because obviously a situation may arise where a pole-arm is the worse choice, e.g. when the formation breaks or is unluckily flanked, etc.

Swords are sidearms. Spears/polearms are preferred since longer reach fucks your enemy while not getting your ass fucked. Even in a 2v2 scenario ones with longer pointy stick has better chances of winning.

Spear hero wants to dick bird loli, but she's creeped out. So he falls into lust and unlocks the dick spear.

Motoyasu unlocks a cursed spear that has both the envy and lust series weapons power in it. It gives him a big power boost and it can amplify the feelings of lust and envy on people. He manages to overpower naofumi's inner wrath for a moment even!

And the shield is protecting naofumi (and us) from the tip of the spear. which is shaped as you would expect

>needing a sword when your shield can do better and more than a sword

To be honest the sword can actually grow to be the most powerful. if you're willing to put the effort though

>all these guys with shields and pikes
>1 guy decides to use a gigantic mace that smashes your shield and breaks your arm in one hit

I always forget that maces exist. Excellent weapon for excellent people.

If it was truly gigantic would it not just crush the person entirely instead of just a shield and an arm?

I remember dropping this shit because of how offensively bad it was. Like it wasn't "so bad it's good" kind of bad, it was just plain awful. No idea why people are even hyped about this pos getting an anime.

mah nigga

The Tankiest

Fullplate Mail
Tower shield
Broad Sword

If he got a full helmet, and some stat boosting rings and amulets, I'd main him in Diablo.

How many times did Parn actually use his shield? I can't actually think of any fights where he didn't just two-hand his sword.

His sword is one-handed.

That's most swords in anime though, they alternate between one and two handed whenever they feel like it.

The point is that Parn rarely ever actually used his shield in combat.

Ever hear of DISK WARS?

I miss Grimgar threads.

Sorry. I thought you were talking about Nao, the last posted character. I'm actually at episode 20 of Log Horizon.

About Parn. He never had a shield. Seriously, look at google images. But its accurate, because if you're wearing an armor, shields become redundant. You can still use a buckler to parry.

it's always like this with shitty isekai novels

well at the very least not that loser

That statement is highly exaggerated. Swords have always played a big part in battles throughout the history. Otherwise, they wouldn't be used often enough to evolve at the rate they did.

Polearm was the default weapon of choice, being easier to use, as anyone can just stab, and cheap to make. A basic spear is essentially an upgrade of a pitchfork. They were basic, but useful. Where they failed, however, was against shields and armor, and if someone got close. Any of those things meant death. That's why many kept swords as sidearm. Swords, especially the typical longsword, is an extremely versatile weapon suited for many situation. Different swords had different roles, for example, a Falchion would be useful against mail, the curved blade on horseback, and the rapiers against plate armor. They lacked a polearm range, but beyond that, they were great. Useful in almost every situation. Just that in a normal situation, a polearm is preferred to a sword.

this guy would be pretty close if only he didn't fucking cheat like a bitch

It's important to narrow down "polearm" to something useful. You can wield a spear onehanded but you need two hands for a halberd. You can smash armor with a polehammer but can't even scratch it with a hunting spear.

Yeah, but I'm only really talking about the basic spear and shield. Once you diverge into halberds and polehammers, the effectiveness begins to go down. Sure, a polehammer might break armor, but against the very basic soldier, someone with a spear, it's nothing special. A swing from a heavy polehammer is going to take longer to swing, wide swings are easier to dodge and a smaller swing can still be blocked with a shield before it gains momentum to avoid taking much damage. During any of that, the spearman can just stab.

I'm not downplaying the long reach, but those polearms are not as effective in a more general situation. Especially anything that forced you to drop your shield. They become very situational weapons.

I mean, Grunbeld has a shield...

This is your shield user for tonight, say something nice to her.

>long reach
Every time.

>first pick paladin because magic and honor
>can't fuck
>fuck
>second pick water because hydro pumps, tsunamis, walking on water and icicles
>can't do any of those
>third choice white knight because white best color

Fuck you.

>> spear
It's an entertaining fight though.

After 80+ post, there's only three real sword and shield user here. I'm disappointed at you Sup Forums.

Finalists:
Heathcliff
Joey Wheeler
Naotsugu

Disqualified:
Wagner - Not anime
Archer - No Shield
RX-78-2 - It's a giant fucking robot
That guy from Record of Lodoss War - No one uses a shield in that anime
Jil (Tower of Druaga) - I've never heard of this anime, it probably sucked
Naofumi Iwatani - Not Anime
Grunbeld - uses a hammer, not a sword

Just because you've never heard of it does not disqualify Jil from being a top tier sword and shield user. If anything it just disqualifies your opinion.

Roan from Ragnarok. A game based anime, not bad, but not great. Just a middle of the road fantasy anime.
Roan starts out as a typical sword user, but later changes class and starts using a shield. And it's fucking awesome.

Oh yeah?

Okay. Show us clip about his top tierness. I'm sure there's lots of it floating around youtube, if he really is what you say he is.

Oh, wait. I already checked. It all suck.

You're probably just a troll anyway.

The time he slayed a dragon or the time he took down an evil god guardian or when he saved the world. Youtube clips aren't watching an anime and seeing the character develop from a weak ass bitch to a legendary hero. I took your shitty bait now post your smug anime girl reply.

Thank you for reminding me of my worst anime experience of the mid 2000s. That fucking opening almost made my ears bleed.

He couldn't even kill a lowly human with his hammer and shield before discarding them and transforming.

>but not great.
you must suffer from deafness. Although I must admit the OP and ED are only for patrician tastes.

>shield hero not anime
Oh, he will be.

Thanks for your addition.

I remember dropping this anime.

Yeah...let's just say, "good" characters in bad anime is better off forgotten. I'm sure everyone agrees to that.

Oh, the character isn't particularly good. It's boring. Only the shield is awesome.

the sexiest

To fair im split 50/50 on the idea of an anime even though i love the series. Considering what hapens to popular shit on Sup Forums