Addition: Disease or Choice?

Is he right, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CDtIZZiySgA
baldwinresearch.com/alcoholism.cfm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He's a moron and so are you. Kill kikes.

You can literally die from withdrawal from certain drugs, like heroin or alcohol, so no.

It's a choice to take drugs the first time, but it becomes less of a choice each successive time. This isn't really a debatable thing; it's been studied for hundreds of years.

>addition

56% + mcdonalds = la creatura

I learn something new each day

If it is a disease, then it's one willfully contracted by addicts. It's like one of those bugchasing faggots deliberately taking a diseased load and then whining that they have AIDS some years later. Why the fuck should anybody pity them?

if addiction is not a choice and people who become addicted are fated to forever be helpless in the face of their addiction, how is that anyone ever stops being an addict or learns how to control their behavior?

>drugs aren't addictive
Gosh, just how low can IQ get?

The jew is right.
Addicts are retards. I wouldnt mind seeing the heroin spiked with fentanyl so all the retards can OD at once.

The kike lies. Anyone who is seriously addicted to drugs are sick. Not in the conventional way, but in a way that goes unnoticed.
However before an addiction takes hold it is a choice.

of course he is. everybody knows the danger of drugs. Those that still get themselves "addicted" are simply morons. The whole "addiction is an illness" is a meme to justifie your poor choices and completed lack of self control freeing the degenerates from taken responsibility for their own actions. Pathetic. Drug addicts like fat people are weak and deserve their fate.

>> addiction is not a disease

>> only scumbags are addicts

If only scumbags were addicted then luxury treatment centers that cost $80000/month wouldn’t exist. Effects every walk of life without prejudice.

Yes, dipshits exist in every tax bracket. Profound stuff.

A sickness. Look at how rampant alcoholism is, it's somewhat a genetic disposition.

Then you have doctors prescribing poison like oxycodone. People become dependent and addicted even at therapeutic doses over time.

Then you have old fashioned idiots that get addicted through stupidity, but it ends up becoming a sickness once they are addicted.

In the end, it's an illness.

>Addition: Disease or Choice?

The only know cure is subtraction.

they're wrong.
it's a by product of social suffering and the need
to just feel good temporarily. the drugs block
certain feelings or give the user a certain feeling
they're missing.
cocaine- insecure people use this to feel strong or powerful but helps them socialize
heroin-dissasociative and pleasure supplement
that allows users to have no cares
MDMA- releases oxytocin the love chemical
and is sought out by people who want that feeling
marijuana- sedative and helps chill out over
stressed people
etc

granted a lot of people take drugs because drugs
but they do have therapeutic properties if used
in the proper guided setting.
the main problem with drug addicts is they're
consumers as in they don't learn from each session
they partake in and don't know how to get those
feelings naturally.

Also some people (I think around 10%) have genetic addictive tendencies. In the case of opioid addictions some start due to bad personal choices but for some people it starts with taking painkillers after surgery or some other legitimate reason and then getting hooked.

People have psychological problems and try to treat them by doing drugs. As time passes they become full blown junkies. Easy as that.

No. Now division.., - that's hard!

>its a choice.
>get into car accident
>break back
>be given opiates for pain management
>leave hospital
>pain for life
>dr cuts you off
>still addicted
>congrats you are a heroin junkie now

For some its not a choice.

>genetic addictive tendencies
this is a total theoretical concept and not fully proven but
it's mostly social and due to dietary choices as a child. it stems from a cocktail of social poisoning.

people who eat a lot of sweets and trash food
are more likely to have addictions. quick feel good
replacements for feelings they lack. even our president
has addictions. notice his dietary choices, twitter use,
addiction to the ruse, and need to be right all the time.
chances are people called him a
fuck up a bunch as a kid or never felt comfortable anywhere.
if you observe his social preferences as a youth
you'd see that he would go to places like studio 54
and various other outsider clubs. his adamant stance
on the war on drugs stems from the loss of his brother.
I really hope he keeps going after the FDA for their nonsense
but eases up on marijuana. I have known many opiate addicts
that stayed away from heroin while using marijuana.

also MDMA and LSD assisted psychotherapy does work
and could be a life saver for troops coming home from war.
if they are lodged, participate in wellness sessions, and slowly
reintegrated into society for several months after returning
you will see an extreme drop in addiction/suicidal behavior
from troops. You can't just pull someone from a war zone
then throw them back into society. everything is a threat to them
upon return and due to the flip flop nature specifically of
middle eastern nationals they'll never be able to trust anyone
without therapy.

>still addicted
>congrats you are a heroin junkie now

You missed a step.

It's a disease because it puts it in the domain of the medical mafia and justifies the scam of nominally medicalised $multi-thousand rehabs (where (((they))) send you to a faith-healing, Rockefeller-funded ersatz-religious cult, which acts a feeder in and out of the rehabs).

As a daily cannabis user for the last 20 years I can safely say that yes it is a choice I make every time, and that I should be ashamed of myself.

yes

opioid withdrawal isnt really dangerous.
Alcohol and benzo's are far more dangerous

its a disease of the mind and body...he's only right in that you have a choice not to pick up and use, but you dont have a choice once the drugs are in your system

well even if they are willfully contracted, they are still diseases.

It is a choice at first
Once you become addicted you become afflicted with the disease of addiction
Nobody wants to shoot heroin, get arrested over 20 times, thrown out of their house and become homeless, then start using any drug they can get their hands on, smoking crack until their teeth start rotting away, drinking liquor and passing out at 11am, having their toes amputated because they refuse to or don't care to clean themselves, them one night shoot to much heroin while already drunk and die in a gutter on 57th street in Manhattan.

That was my brother.
Fuck out of here with addiction isn't a disease bullshit, yes the start of using drugs is a choice but once addicted you're diseased.

Weed is medicinal.
Therefore I'm always sick.

why can't anyone answer this simple question?

Addiction is bollocks

youtu.be/CDtIZZiySgA

Are you saying some who drinks a beer for the first time is willfully contracting a disease?

Not everyone who does drugs gets addicted to them.

It's got elements of both. Addicts generally genetically have fewer dopamine receptors, and anecdotally it really does feel like you are powerless, but at the same time everyone makes a thousand choices a day, addicts included

Its difficult, but its possible. Have to find something meaningful to replace it.

>If only scumbags were addicted then luxury treatment centers that cost $80000/month wouldn’t exist
HE THINKS HAVING MONEY MAKES YOU NOT A SCUMBAG!!!!!!!!!!XDXDXDXDXD

Idiot

You forgot the part where you suck it up and deal with pain instead of using pharmaceuticals to mask your fucking problems

Former alcoholic here. Can confirm. It's a willpower problem. If you want to quit, you quit.

No he is a moron.

Many of the times it is not somebody's choice.

Doctors have been known to mislead people into getting dangerous perscription drugs which can make them crave illegal ones too.

>Are you saying some who drinks a beer for the first time is willfully contracting a disease?
Yes.
>Not everyone who does drugs gets addicted to them.
Not everybody who licks the handle of a shopping cart gets the flu, but a person who does is willfully engaging in behavior that they can expect to result in sickness.

If you're one of those people who started using drug because, Durr, it won't happen to ME," then you're just a retard, not a victim.

That's incredibly dumb. People who are prescribed pain relievers like OxyContin made a choice to take them to relieve pain not to be become addicted. Kids prescribed stimulant for ADHD like Concerta become addicted becuase it increases dopeamine levels and those levels can decrease drastically when they come off leading them to find another way to increase those levels.

I myself do not have an addictive personality at all. I don't like how drugs make me feel. I don't even drink.
But I've known quite a few people with addiction problems and most of the time it stems from past trauma or abuse, over prescribed pain killers or even seems to run in families.

Blanket statements like that are just a sign of clear stupidity.

>but it becomes less of a choice each successive time
Bullshit. Every living thing has biological urges. What separates humans from animals is our self control. If you are a druggy that believes you can't withdraw then you have the same moral standing as a fucking cockroach.

Addition is not a choice! Subtraction is, though.

He's right, but that doesn't mean that they don't need some help to get out of it. But it has to be PRODUCTIVE help, not just giving them money or enabling them.

Addiction does not start as a disease, but it becomes one. It becomes a disease once you are hooked, a disease that can be fought, but can't always be overcome, even by the strongest of men.

It is for this reason that I am grateful that I never developed a desire to consume alcohol or drugs.

The solution to the addict problem:
1. Make homelessness illegal but provide housing, real housing, for the homeless.
2. Mandatory drug rehab for anyone in said housing. Refusal results in imprisonment.
3, Mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients and mandatory rehab if caught on a substance.
4. Criminal penalties for repeatedly ending up down and out as a result of drug use or other forms of irresponsibility.
5. Sterilization of repeat drug addicts who have been documented to end up needing welfare or housing.
6. State funded drug rehab for anyone and everyone needing it.
7. The legalization and regulation of drugs, preventing them from having additives, etc. without telling customers, and from selling to minors,
8. The purging of all criminal organizations. Knowingly being part of a criminal enterprise or making a career out of crime turned into a capital offense.
9. Companies that are otherwise legit that violate the law without any caring are subject to nationalization, and their leadership, the ones who made the decision to keep wantonly flouting the law, are subject to very harsh punishments, up to and including execution in severe cases. What this means is that any company that knowingly violates drug regulations or sells to minors and demonstrates a track record of doing so, despite numerous warnings and prior financial punishments, will be seized and the people involved punished severely. Again, possible even executed. Selling meth to kids? Have some lead.

Yeah miss me with that drug addiction bullshit.

>Fascism/10

Not a bad list, friendo.

Addiction and especially alcoholism are not diseases, it's a CHOICE. The (((government))) is lying again as usual.

baldwinresearch.com/alcoholism.cfm

That odd spacing and line breaks... It's almost as if you copy and pasted this from somewhere

Behaviour is not disease. When you shoot up or take the pills or whatever that you deliberately doing it, not some infectious virus.
Just stop taking the drugs, just stop. Poor willpower and lack of restraint is not a disease, otherwise laziness would be considered a disease.

>Oh god I'm eating so many donuts, I must have a disease *Nom nom nom* I cant help it, nosirree, I have a donut sickness because I keep wanting and eating more *Non nom on nom*

The disease concept is a blatant fraud.
Here's the salient copypasta:
The disease concept originated in the 1800s with a fellow by the name of Dr. Benjamin Rush. He believed those who drank too much alcohol were diseased and used the idea to promote his prohibitionist political platform. He also believed that dishonesty, political dissention and being of African-American descent were diseases. The "disease concept" was used throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s by prohibitionists and those involved in the Temperance Movement to further their political agenda. Prior to c.1891, the term alcoholic, referring to someone who drank too much alcohol, did not exist. Before that, alcohol was freely consumed, but drunkenness was not tolerated. Many sociologists contribute its non-existence to the very stigma that the disease concept removes. Drunkenness was not so much seen as the cause of deviant behavior-in particular crime and violence- as it was construed as a sign that an individual was willing to engage in such behavior." (H.G. Levine, "The Good Creature of God and the Demon Rum," in Alcohol and Disinhibitition, eds. R. Room and G. Collins.) During this period of time social ties and family played a much more influential role in an individual's life. Therefore, deviant behaviors were undesirable and less likely to occur. It was not until industrialization began, when the importance of social and family ties diminished, that alcoholism became a problem. We now live in a society that encourages binge drinking as a social norm, but at the same time, we live in a society that discourages it.

Perhaps the mental illness they have that caused them to make poor choices is a disease? I wouldn't put it in the same category as people who actually have a disease they didnt choose like Parkinson's or something. I also have less sympathy for addicts. Maybe if they didnt lie, steal and ruin others around them id be ok. They need to stay in their lane and not mooch of the government. They are junkies and idiots.

Agreed. The mental pattern is built stronger by our choices. The stronger the urge the stronger you've thought/built those connections. Mental Darwinism.

That's what butt hurt kids say when their parents are junkies and left them.

Drug addiction is neither a choice nor a disease.

It is an INJURY.

Its a fucking choice, there are addictive substances, but there is no real addiction. I did heroin, oxycontin, and meth for 8 years, and its only the weak willed people that stay "addicted".

You've made your last shitpost Muhammad

There are multiple bad things that happens because of your choice. Fall from bike and broke your hand? Is it injury or choice? Should we ban treating everything that couldn't have happened if you didn't do something before? It's same with addiction.

Kinda. Rodrigo Duterte in USA when?

Neither... it is a psychological and physical obsession. AA calls it a "spiritual disease," meaning the addict doesn't have enough God in their life.

idc what it is im just happy im 8 months clean off of heroin

100% correct. You have to own up to the consequences of your actions if you ever want to have the will to get over addiction

AA as in Alcoholics Anonymous? I wasn't aware that they're big on religion.

yeah, AA tries to make you put it all in God's hands. I don't agree with it.

Haha that stupid. Just makes it worse. No wonder people relapse so much. Adding religion often makes things worse.

If we are to accept genetics about race, then everything else must follow provided the science is sound.
Addiction is not a disease, but there are underlying genetic factors that would cause someone to have a proclivity to drug abuse(alcohol or otherwise).

Once someone is addicted, the body and mind make changes to allow for more of these chemicals, which builds tolerance.

Often times, people with low IQ find themselves as drug addicts and criminals due to the chief trait that being unintelligent brings, Impulsiveness.

choice.
learn some will power fags

Basically: they want you to admit you're broken, then rebuild from there. It's a good premise and it helps a lot of people, but not for me.

Well as long as the average participant is better off when they come out I guess that's what's important.

Poverty is not a disease. It's a choice you made that led you where you are. Fuck outta here with this bullshit.

So was the holocaust not a disaster, because It was a choice they made that led them in the ovens?

it becomes a disease after a while some of that shit will kill you going cold turkey.

If this was true, then alcoholism would not be a trait that runs in some families. It would just be "my family has a long line of heavy drinkers and I just coincidentally happen to be one too"

Most diseases are caused by our choices.

I'm a garbage story teller but here's my anecdote. First of all, I was the kind of kid who refused to even take cough syrup. Even if I had a huge headache I would never take anything.

That was until I got fucked up and need a ton of dental work and the pain was immense, so I figured I'd try them. I was on codeine for about one month in between surgeries. The first couple of doses were pretty much the only doses that I felt anything pleasant, as for the rest, the good feeling was totally gone and the pain relief rapidly reduce in strength and duration. Eventually a dose wouldn't even last 1hr after taking about 30mins to kick in for some reason, so I'd just wait out the next 4hrs for the next dose in pain anyway.

Eventually the pain eased up and I had no more teeth to fix (and I got sick of codeine being so garbage) so I just stopped taking medication. I woke up the next day and I had this really invasive thought to take some codeine, but I wasn't actually hurting that much at all and felt pretty good. My mind just kept nagging me to take codeine, but I really didn't need nor want it, nor did I even enjoy taking it. I dunno, I just didn't have any reason to take it, but that fucking idea stayed with me for months, always trying to nag me into taking more for no reason.

MONTHS.

Eventually I had fully healed and had no pain but my mind kept going to those unused trays of codeine, telling me that I should just take some, and I never had these feelings before so they really stuck out to me as odd. After that for a couple of years any time I had a headache or something the idea would come back to take some codeine, but I kept remembering all the times I was totally fine without it so I managed to disregard it.

So I guess I can see how people can get stuck in a loop of addiction, and thankfully I never had any real reason to abuse drugs so it didn't end up become a thing for me as I found codeine itself to be total crap and had no interest in trying anything else.

But you might have ingested the substance without/with incompete knowledge of the consequences, you retarded greasy meatball. Like young people, old people and retards like you.

you are absolutely correct. Any Sup Forumsack who tries to diispute this, drop your video games right now and never play. I bet you all the money in the world 99% of you will not be able to do it, no matter how much you want. All i will hear is justification like "oh, well, what should i do? Games are not too bad, they are totally not addictive haha"
Sometimes the first step is to admit you have a problem in order to solve a problem. So start with that.

You´ve never experienced real pain, you underaged nigger-faggot

FUCK OUTTA HERE WIT DAT

AA is protected from any testing of their actual effectiveness by their anonymity. Most stealth attempts to study it have come back as very unflattering for the program. I think for many addicts, constantly talking about the addiction with others is part of the fucking problem.

>I think for many addicts, constantly talking about the addiction with others is part of the fucking problem.
Some of them yeah, they just use it to re-live. I used to know some junkies that would go to AA just to get ideas.

I doubt any method of getting clean works very well. Most people can't fundamentally alter their behavior like that

It's a disease metaphorically, not medically.
It's a choice to start, it's a choice to continue, it's a choice to stop.
One can argue for or against the disease model, but even within the disease model, stopping, comes down to making better choices. Period.

>I doubt any method of getting clean works very well
It's not one size fits all, just like how people get into addiction isn't the same.

Depends on how you got that addiction. He would be right if the addiction came into effect after a subject willfully took a drug (which should cover the vast majority of addiction cases). But there is always the possibility of someone forcing others into addiction...

this is correct

> That background
Being a slave to walmart, corporations and consumerism isn't a problem of projected social values and norms, its a choice you make.

I was an addict and every single day i knew thay what I was doing was wrong and destroying me. Addiction is a choice. Every single day. Every hit. Every dollar spent. It's a choice

Subtraction is a disease, addition is a choice.