Was re zero a masterpiece? Is it the most important isekai that there is?

Was re zero a masterpiece? Is it the most important isekai that there is?

No and no.

It was ultimate shit

Love it or hate it but you cannot deny the impact it had on the industry.

It was better than SAO, and that's about as much credit as I can give it.

He should just become a sociopath that way he care when he dies.

The most "important" isekai is obviously SAO bc without its success we wouldn't be having this boom of isekai we're having right now.

>but you cannot deny the impact it had on the industry.
I very easily can.

There's nothing from the series that is particularly notable or original. The industry has been imitating RPG's and VN's for a while now.

/thread.

it wasnt awful, but i wouldnt really say it was that great.

reddit tier garbage show. forgettable at best

>SAO
>isekai

Why do people perpetuate this meme? "Stuck in a game" != "Sent to Another World". In the former the place where the protagonist is trapped is known both by the audience and the characters to be a fake/created instances, whereas genuine isekai settings are more along the line of parallel worlds where its supposed to be a fantastical but "real" place

>re zero
>masterpiece

>Impact it had
Ruining it a little more

Koufuku Graffiti was better than SAO.

The only actual correct answer in this thread

>impact
KEK, elaborate.

>"Stuck in a game" != "Sent to Another World"
Yes, it does.

Hell, Saburu spends a heavy amount of time drawing from his video game experiences to adjust to the game. The fact that he's not completely unfamiliar with magic and creatures in general is THE bridging gap.

Didnt know it had an impact, please enlighten me

Because SAO was the one that inspired the billion and 2 isekai titles.

>Was re zero a masterpiece?
No.
>Is it the most important isekai that there is?
Probably not. I mean, it's more notable for its waifus than it is for being an isekai. By that point alone it shouldn't be the most important isekai, no matter how good or influential the waifus contained within it were.

>whereas genuine isekai settings
No TRUE isekai would take place in a game world. TRUE isekai's only take place in other worlds - worlds like fantasy Scotland, complete with TRUE fantasy Scots!

Yes, a master piece of shit

My nigga.

The only "good" Isekai I know of is Muv Luv.
Isekai with game mechanics are fucking stupid.

>an alternate world that for some reason runs on video game mechanics

is not the same things as

>an actual video game world

>good 'isekai anime' thread
>no one has mentioned Juuni Kokuki yet
Indeed, Sup Forums and plebbit are the same plebshit.

>Isekai with game mechanics are fucking stupid.
What about isekai with traditional game mechanics like Overlord?
I don't mind it so much but sometimes the writer follows the DnD ruleset a little closely and then shit gets janky.

Why don't they make an isekai where the main character is just pissed to be there and just wants to get home? Like the constant game mechanic bullshit just irks him and he keeps pointing out that that 80% of the people he meets are little girls who happen to all be important somehow? I feel like Re:Zero was supposed to be a parody but Subaru literally never fucking cared about going home and was way too happy and accepting of everything after the first episode. He never once worried about his loved ones or wonder why he of all people was sent to a crazy world of the implausible. Seems like there's a good plot in Re:Zero but if it wanted to be a parody it can't just fall into all the same traps the other ones did and act like it's better. The focus on how horrible it would be to die constantly like in a video game was nice, but that was the only unique thing about it.

Completely moot distinction that does little to impact the overall themes isekai focuses on, primarily that a person is drawn from our mundane reality into something fantastical with no way out.

You're just turning this into "But the alternate reality isn't real enough", but that doesn't matter if the person stuck in it isn't able to get out.

>Best Isekai
you called?

>still falling for this meme

Youjo Senki is the only good isekai for me currently.
Gate was good but the fanservice killed it.
Kumo turn boring after she became god.

This actually looks really fun, I can't wait to read it later

>Why don't they make an isekai where the main character is just pissed to be there and just wants to get home?
Hmm, why would making an isekai series with an MC who simply wants to return to the turboshit world of modern Japan be a bad idea when the main audience for isekai's are adolescents seeking escapism from their turboshit lives in modern Japan?
That just done-darn makes me use my thinker-thunker, that it does.

This user knows whats fucking best in life.

I don't know why, but I give Overlord a pass.
I don't even know why I like it.

I will admit episodes 13-18 were well done in both directing and what unfolded in the show, everything else was no better than run of the mill fantasy isekai with maybe a bit more style thrown in

>thinking every anime viewer isn't retarded and that they think the show is bad

>Why don't they make an isekai where the main character is just pissed to be there and just wants to get home?
Go read Arifureta

Remember to Thank the Great One

>Is it the most important isekai that there is

There isn't a single important isekai.

>impact on the industry

What the fuck has it influenced other than autistic reddit posts about emilia and rem on Sup Forums?

Because

That's the thing majority of anime viewers are retarded so it's popularity can't be denied like SAO.

The idea of re:zero becoming a classic anime is laughable though but people will probably still remember it for it's sheer popularity.

SASUGA AINZ-SAMA

>not thinking Re:Zero is complete trash

Why did he always have to wear that same fucking jacket attire?

Ded anime

>I don't even know why I like it.
Just speaking personally here, I like it for the same reason I like OPM - they're both decent enough twist on the "overpowered as fuck MC" cliche that it feels fresh and likeable to me.

Speaking broadly, the way OPM subverts the overpowered MC trope is by making him constantly search for a worthy challenge for himself. With this in mind, OPM whooping everyone's ass with no effort becomes a failure state instead of the success it would be in any other show. This allows the show to focus on something other than plain ol' anime powerbattles and instead on something more interesting (like side character arcs or worldbuilding).

In Overlord's case, the MC is often too paranoid to unzip his true powerlevel because he's worried about people on the same level as him noticing and fucking him up in return. This pushes the story toward a focus on stealth, deception, and outplanning (opening the way for organic worldbuilding and character development along the way) rather than plain ol' brute force that would be the standard in most other shows with an OP MC.

Just my 2 cents.
Plus, I like skeletons, liches, and I enjoy more than my fair share of DnD with good friends from time to time as well.
The Count of Monte Cristo is also my jam and Overlord reminds me a lot of it oddly enough. Lotta keikakus from OP MC's too smart for their own good (whether they admit it or not).