ITT: criminally underrated movies

ITT: criminally underrated movies

Nope, the plot was bad so everything else about it was bad too.

Only the animation stood out. Everything else was basic shit.
Solid 7 just for the animation alone though. Too good.

>the plot was bad
it's a movie entirely centered around DEJA VU. what do you want, more monkeys in the trunk?

It's hardly underrated.
People love it.

>music
>character designs
>setting
>basic shit

>underrated
It's already way too popular for what it is.

>criminally underrated
You uploaded the wrong picture, mate? Did you wanna upload Crusher Joe? Or Macross DYRL? Or Tekkon Kinkreet?

>Macross DYRL
>Tekkon Kinkreet
>underrated

By the modern anime crowd? Definitely. Macross might be admired by people who watched stuff 10-20 years ago but the vast majority of modern viewers has either not touched the movie or simply didnt like it because they are too used to the modern Macross.

How new are you? Sup Forums is full of fucking retarded contrarians.

Pic unrelated?

SEVEN YEARS

Is that a skrull?

It is not really good.

>grow up under mentoring of bear demon
>LOL I suddenly will go live with my REAL loser dad I haven't seen for many years
>Lol I suddenly fell in love with blank girl character just for the sake of love interest being in the movie

Also
>Let's make Antagonist resemble creature he just knew about from the book he found on the ground

It deservedto be underrated.
I had potential and blew it out of the window.

>the plot was bad

I really like Redline because it's simple and cool

If nobody watched it, it's not underrated you retard.

But it has 11k votes on MAL and hardly even has a score of 8 user. Meanwhile this shit has an 8.5

It's Hosoda's worst movie so far.
It felt like your generic american family chitstmas flick, built from the most beaten up, safe cliches you could think of. It almost felt like he was obliged to make this under pressure of studio of whoever was financing him. The ending was bad in particular - i was under impression it's some early 2000 G-rated shit.

>The ending was bad in particular
You didn't like the "I'll become the sword in your heart" scene? Made me tear up.

the only feeling i had that i have seen this 100 times before, and not even in anime - in some shitty disney/pixar/whateveramericanshit seasonal family flick

Its funny you felt that way about Bakemono no Ko, because I felt the same way about The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I kept thinking about The Butterfly Effect throughout the entire film and I was pretty bored.
So I understand where you are coming from.

>The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
That one i actually loved probably much of his work. He just was able to "get" that youthful element that every other anime director inevitably turn either to fetish or kitsch that you simply don't believe.
Wolf children was also really good as it felt very personal and honestly answered you what is it to be a mother, and these glimpses of joy of seeing your children grow that overshadows every other difficlutly. Also, it's probably the most honest japanese work i probably have seen, to the point it translated to my cultural environment directly and i felt deep connection to her character, while in everything else i usually find myself a spectator, peeking through murky window of cultural differences.
Bakemono no ko just felt empty and uninspired, like glossy commercial work written by a commitee.

>Underrated
hownew.ru

For some reason i never seen much discussion of this even in natsu threads, despite it being probably the best "classic" romance in animation.

I thought it was a little too predictable for its own good.
I liked the one shot more for some odd reason, maybe because it was shorter.

The movie was a box office bust

Movie needed another 10-15 minutes of build up and plot. Its too short for its own good.

How did one movie manage to be so boring

My 2nd favorite Ghibli movie

It's type of a story that probably exist in folklore of every country in some way, so yeah, it was predictable.
But it just got everything so right - the style, the length, the atmosphere, the direction - everything just built up so perfectly that inevitable culmination still hit you in full power.
For me, it excels exactly where Shinkai tries to and fails, despite having much more resources.