How can such a critically acclaimed anime be paced so fucking slow...

How can such a critically acclaimed anime be paced so fucking slow? I'm 40 episodes in and I'm trying not to fall asleep.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=brFeaTh73fI
youtube.com/watch?v=2uq34TeWEdQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9mUcDMZviJY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Then drop it.

Is the manga better?

>reading

Its coming alright.

Yes episodes ~23-40ish are a slog at times (i still always enjoyed it) but its so worth it for 50-63

What are the differences between Brotherhood and the original?
I've never seen either, and I figured It's about time to give it a shot.

If you read fast then you set the pace.

Original is darker and has an anime original ending beginning halfway through the series.
Brotherhood is a more faithful adaptation and ends as the manga does, but it's very vanilla and some scenes lack the impact the original had.

Only in the very very beginning since the anime skips the first arc and the first episode of the anime does that crappy ice alchemist shit. Besides that though it's a pretty good adaptation.

I watched three episodes and dropped it because it seemed like boring shonen shit. Should I try again?

The original has a really shitty bad guy and ending
Brotherhood follows the manga and is actually worth watching.

Just watch up until the Scar fight. If it still bores you by then, drop it. Scar is I think episode 7?

2003 has better pacing and a superior OST

Brotherhood has the better overall story

>superior OST
only thing wrong is this post

They only rushed because everyone already saw or read that beginning shit.

>what is ready steady go
filthy casual

Thats where you're wrong. the pacing in 2003 drags out, especially when they find wrath in the forest.

i dropped it because the "chibi comedy relief" was getting on my nerves

Why does everyone get mad about this? I honestly never thought this would even be a reason to criticize the series.

OPs and EDs aren't OST user.

Again is the best OP in the series anyways, so you're wrong on that count as well.

To be fair, it's really not great, at least the way they adapted it
It works fine in manga form, when the cute tiny chibi gag is in a cute tiny panel in the corner or inbetween big panels, but when it takes up the whole space of the screen, it breaks up a lot of scenes.

The 2003 anime went fully anime original after they ran out of stuff to adapt. They went with their own plotlines and went in a completely different direction than what the original Mangaka had planned to do. With her blessing, of course.

Brotherhood was announced and aired as the manga was ending, and was made with the knowledge of how the series would end, and IIRC, ended around the same time the manga ended. It was as close to a 1 to 1 panel by panel adaptation as possible.

Back when I watched the 2003 anime in the early 2000's I thought it was a fucking masterpiece, would keep thinking about the series even years after watching it for the first time. Then, many years later when I finally decided to watch the new adaptation, brotherhood, I thought it was really nothing special, just your average shonen with better animation and production values.

I don't know if that's because I prefer 2003 or If I was just younger back then. Probably a little bit of both. I think that FMA is one of the most overrated series out there anyway

You should probably stick to Michael Bay, mate.

2003 had the worst ending, Ed doesn't stay with his friends after his dad and brother died to send him back to his world and for some reason the other side of the gate is our world and what happened to the Ed living in our world ? Did he just get fucked over and deleted the moment this ed came to nazi world? atleast brotherhood had a good conclusion.

yes and the initial release of the manga and animes was actually really good. FMA was best enjoyed during it's first run IMO

>atleast brotherhood had a good conclusion

But it's a happy ending though. Ed and co. lived happily ever after. It means it's bad.

Most of what you said are reasons why I prefer 2003 ending though. To me it felt bittersweet, which I personally prefer, and more in line with the equivalent exchange theme that the series had. The our world part is a little weird and came out of nowhere, but at the time I loved because of how the mind fuck factor It had, at least it was surprising rather than boring and predictable like Brotherhood.

I can agree, but Ed and Al deserved a happy ending after all the shit they went through, especially because that ending pretty much killed off any speculation for a sequel since ed cant be the fullmetal alchemist anymore.

You're probably just remembering the good parts of 03 due to nostalgia

I was on the "03 is a masterpiece" train for a while too but I watched it again recently and while some parts are good it definitely has it's issues (mainly with the anime-original stuff), still like it though

I think Brotherhood is alright, perhaps a little more boring but pretty good

The thing about shimballa that will always make me laugh is that they grabbed Hughes the most lovable character in the series and turned him into a Nazi.

I think Brotherhood is more coherent and tight, while 2003 is all over the place, which is not necessarily a bad thing. You are bound to do some fuck ups when you take risks, the problem with Brotherhood is that it plays too safe, it's basically a very known formula perfected, while 2003 feels more experimental and risky.

Not saying Brotherhood is bad or even worse than 2003, just saying why I prefer the latter.

Yeah I hear you, pretty much how I feel about the two as well, in that 03's highs are higher and lows are lower while Brotherhood is more consistent

Not sure which I'd pick of the two though

Everytime someone mentions FMA I always get super depressed. Watched 03 and FMAB but jesus fuck, its over and its been a while.

We could decide which one has the best OPs and EDs instead.
youtube.com/watch?v=brFeaTh73fI
youtube.com/watch?v=2uq34TeWEdQ

I'm willing to admit that Brotherhood has better EDs and OPs in general, although i find myself listening to 2003 more due to nostalgia

On that front I'd probably side with Brotherhood, I fucking love Again

03's are good too though

The brotherhood OPs are fine, but the real masterpiece is the first ED:
youtube.com/watch?v=9mUcDMZviJY

Probably among my top5 all time favorites.

agreed, I was stuck watching kiddy shows back then. After watching better shows FMA is now boring

>After watching better shows FMA is now boring
For me its the otherway around, after watching fma I cant really watch the other shitty long ass shounen.

>Again is the best OP in the series anyways, so you're wrong on that count as well.
I've got a real soft spot for Period.

Rain>Period>Again>Rest is my opinion on Brotherhood OPs.
Second OP>Fourth OP>Third OP>First OP on 2003's.

adhd must be a pain in the ass

What's your favorite FMA moment Sup Forums?

My favorite part is when King Bradly comes back to whoop everyones ass.

Bradley*

Pic related in the anime was 10/10

i haven't even watched or read this series, but i've heard about this scene

That moment Al gave up his soul to give Edward his arm back.

>dark lord sits on a throne for the story and wants to become god

Brotherhood has the bottom of the barrel for fantasy villains.

Dante was much better.

I honestly dont like 03's ending but you gotta admit brotherhood falls into shonenshit style too fast

in 03 it kept a somber mood throughout and while goofy and serious is the series balance issue I felt brotherhood went too off the rails closer to the end

does the anime with Brotherhood still deviate alot of essential material btw from the manga or is it pretty 1:1

It's 1:1

Brotherhood was shit desu. '03 FMA is only one you should watch

>beginning was objectively better
>no generic "muh evil entity" shit
>had a more interesting way of killing humunculi
>ending was smarter then "muh big battle"
>didn't have chinks
>gay as fuck multicultural message wasn't as apparent
>no feminist shit
>had better music

How can Brotherhood fags even compete?

>had a more interesting way of killing humunculi
>no feminist shit
>had better music
>ending was smarter then "muh big battle"
Do I really need to sit here and take a shit on this

>critically acclaimed

Kek. It's a fucking shounen anime.
Both anime had their moments but I think most people like them out of nostalgia, at least the ones that grew out from watching shounen adaptations for 12 year old kids.

As someone who watched through both series to completion recently, Brotherhood is clearly the better series, just by virtue of being consistent to itself.

Also, all the people going on about how the Homonculus was handled better in 03 just because of how it handled the whole humanity thing? Really?
The way it was handled was almost David cage tier, with asking questions, but stopping there, and not really exploring it. The writing staff just goes X is Y goes "hmm.... really makes you think...". I appreciate them trying, but It's clear the homonculus was never written to be anything more than Father experimenting and exploring the idea of "family".
Also, Ed and Al are so fucking melodramatic in the original. Like, holy shit. People here complain about Arakawa throwing the focus around to too many characters, but 03 focuses almost solely on the brothers being mopey as shit.

>tfw you read FMA so you don't give a shit about the 03 vs Brotherhood argument

What are you gonna defend all the chibi faggotry?

It's "critically acclaimed" because it's most people's first worthwhile anime. It has nothing special going for it and the ending basically a dbz fight with no consequences.

That's it folks, a few chibi jokes ruined the entire series. Let's just stop here and listen this user who's opinion is greater than anyone who watched the anime or read the manga. What I find hilarious is that most of the people who criticize the series are One Piece fans or Narutards.

This

It sucks

Sup Forums fuck off

Fuck I forgot how good the op's are for both adaptations. Makes me wanna rewatch the show again.

Anyone knows what's the OST when al sacrifices himself for ed's arm ?

You sounds pretty damn nitpicky and the pic-related scene was actually funny

For me the only part that felt unnecessarily slow was the whole Briggs part and a little beforehand. Other than that though if you're not enjoying it thats just on you, drop it.

Brotherhood is the faithful adaption. Thinking of Hellsing vs Hellsing Ultimate.
I like both equally but I'd recommend Brotherhood for first time watchers.

This. 03's directing had WAY more fucking flare. They really knew what they were doing with the tone and OST. Brotherhood, while a great adaption, still kind of just feels like a panel to screen 1:1 adaption

Looks fine

you're used to the Hollywood attention span

Go read the manga

>a few chibi jokes
THEY WERE EVERY 5 seconds!

Not nitpicky at all. It'll be a really serious scene and then they'll ruin the fucking mood and tension by doing this shit. A few is ok a show like this does need some form a comic relief but not like fucking this.

You exaggerate.

>03's directing had WAY more fucking flare. They really knew what they were doing with the tone and OST
This. I think that's why I prefered the 2003 adaptation overall.

I liked the Rewrite OP more I think

My grandpa was a Nazi, and he was a really loveable and funny guy.

What I don't get is why this is so damn popular. It's the highest ranked anime on imdb and the second highest on MAL. It's a pretty good shounen series, but it's slow and has those chibi moments, so why do normies like this show so much?

Not by much.

I remember when the 2003 series was airing it was really popular. Everyone was talking about it, and it was considered a modern classic. Even a few years after it stopped airing.

But then Brotherhood came out, and suddenly many people turned against the first series and were saying Brotherhood is awesome, first series is shit. I loved the first series, so that was pretty irksome. I'll admit it even caused me to have a slight bias against Brotherhood.

Brotherhood isn't bad, but I'll always prefer the first series, and still think it holds up really well. Too bad it doesn't get the respect it once did though.

shitty cgi?

You have to remember that at this point, most of Sup Forums's userbase probably wasn't even born with this was airing.

It came out at the right time.

Scary thought.

It was so out of left field.

Kek.

Is this your first shonen? FMA Brotherhood is pretty fast paced by shonen standards.

After reading the thread I guess I'll give Brotherhood a watch.

JUST
forgot about this

Reminder

You know how most anime ends up catching up with the source material and they can either go full shonen filler or make everyone wait forever for the new seasons?

They created a third option and told the team to create their own ending and they'd just redo the anime.

Beginning is way better in the original in my opinion, brotherhood has a better ending.

Pretty much this is the truth. I personally think original is better, but both are decent, also most people have only seen Brotherhood.

See?And fucking christ this thread is still alive?