What was Asuka's problem, and why didn't anyone cared about her?

What was Asuka's problem, and why didn't anyone cared about her?

She has a very fragile ego.

People tried to care about her, but she didn't like others comforting her. Shinji tried to be her friend, and she didn't accept it. Asuka is the reason why Shinji decided to nuke everyone AT-field. Truly the anti-hero of Evangelion, she's no different than Griffith from Berserk.

Actually, no one could have helped her, specially when Shinji didn't know how to get along with people

She was half german and half japanese
That is the combination of germanboos and weeboos. Have you met germanboo weeboos? They are the wurst.

She was a bitch, and her caretaker was too hung up with her own problems.

Without wanting to play armchair-psychiatrist, her problem might be called abandonment. And it kind of snowballed because she was looking for acceptance/stability within the most fucked up cabal of people since One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Rejection. As it's case with many EVA characters, she felt rejected by her parents, which reflects on her fragile ego and need to feel recognized.

Only wanted the seed of the alpha male Kaji, and tried to drive away the other females and the beta males

Once Kaji died she fell into a depression, since her life became pointless

she lost me at episode 16.

How can anyone like her after what she did in that episode? The dead fish known as Rei looked like she wanted to punch Asuka's face after the inhuman comments she said.

It was obviously just her way to cope with the situation. She was trying to play cool when Shinji's situation was obviously affecting her. She's still a bitch for acting like she did, but not for the reasons many people believe.

She was "abandoned" as a kid. As a way to cope, she decided that she would become the best in everything.
She surrounded herself with that impossible expectation. She became arrogant and eager to prove to everyone she was better than they.
Clearly, this kind of behavior make people grow distant from her.
She felt even more abandoned and doubled down on the delusional expectations.
Its a cycle of self hurting and depression.
In the later half of the series, she was forced to see the reality and fucking burned and crashed in despair.

I think that whole episode made it rather ambiguous as to what her thought process was? It goes along with her previously shown narcissism, but then the hospital scene. The ambiguity of Asuka's character frustrates me, nothing is clear cut and dry with her. I guess that was intentional on Anno's part though.

1. Borderline personality disorder
2. her behavior due to her borderline personality disorder

Her problem was that she kept shit-testing Shinji.
She was shit-testing him, since as only male pilot, he was only guy her age an overachiever like her could date.
And he kept failing the shittest. He just though she hated him, when in reality she wanted to fuck him. She kept giving him a hard time, because she wanted to give him a chance to put her in her place, slap her in the face and hatefuck her.
If he passed the shit-test, she'd turn dere pretty quickly.

Except she didn't

2013 Saboten Con.
YM = Yuko Miyamura (Asuka's seiyuu) TG = Tiffany Grant (Asuka's voice actor)

>Q: Does Asuka really like Shinji?
>TG: Are you stupid?
>YM: No.

>Q: What was your reaction when you heard about Rebuild?
>SS and TG: Getting paid.
>YM: A happy ending but it hasn’t happened yet. I wasn’t happy with the EoE ending. Shinji and Kaworu married.

>Q: Who do you feel Shinji should end up with?
>TG: I’d say Mari but I don’t like her.
>YM: Kaworu.

>Voice actor opinions
Meaningless

Yuko knows more about Asuka than we do.

Really? I think her character is quite easy to understand. She's the typical self-centered teenager with a ego made of glass, who bitches and complains about everything all the time but in the end just wants to be loved and recognized.

>Voice actor who's just working for a pay check
>Knows more than people who are completely obsessed with the series

Maybe, but Tiffany Grant sure as shit doesn't.

>shitposter opinions
Meaningless

He isn't wrong though. Both actors and voice actors are literally puppets in the hands of producers and directors, It's very common for them to not even remember most of the stuff about roles they took months ago.

The only thing a voice actor would know that wouldn't be available knowledge to the public would be what emotional direction they were told to take for a line, and even that inside perspective might not be accurate. The direction they're given is just meant to capture the right feeling, not necessarily capture the entire truth of the character. For a series like eva that's all about self delusion and mental illness it's all the more relevant. You're not going to tell the voice actor "Now for this line, I need you to say it like you've got an obsessive compulsive nature and an oedipus complex" and expect them to sort all that out with any kind of meaningful delivery.

On the other hand, voice actors--or, at least, seiyuu--will be given more context about the character's emotional state, generally. More insight into the hows and whys.
Basically, Miyamura has talked more with Anno about who Asuka is than you or anyone in this thread ever will.

They are denying what the seiyuu has to say because they are waifufags, it hurts their fantasy of who Asuka really is. They obviously are not fans of Asuka, but rather their own version of her.

Doesn't matter when an user cares much more about Asuka's mental state than she does. For Miyamura Asuka is just one more role than she has to play, it's really mechanical stuff and she doesn't care much for it, she just wants to get paid. For EVA fans, Asuka is a character they observed, discussed and thought about for years/decades.

Projection due to lack of arguments is a really common thing. I think that Asuka is a disgusting person and I pity whoever has her as a waifu, which doesn't change the fact that VA's word doesn't mean shit.

She has still heard more about the core of Asuka's character directly from Anno's mouth than you can ever hope to.

I don't care what she heard. The source material is there for everyone to see and interpret, and I trust the interpretation of a user over of a shitty Seeiyu any day. Do you saw the other shit she said in the interview you posted?

>Q: What was your reaction when you heard about Rebuild?
>SS and TG: Getting paid.
>YM: A happy ending but it hasn’t happened yet. I wasn’t happy with the EoE ending. Shinji and Kaworu married.

>Q: Who do you feel Shinji should end up with?
>TG: I’d say Mari but I don’t like her.
>YM: Kaworu.

She's so clueless about EVA that she doesn't even get what Kaworu really means for Shinji's character in the context of the original EVA. Hell, she most likely doesn't even remember most of the stuff from back then since it was fucking 22 years ago.

Asuka's abandonment issues caused her to reject everyone, she didn't love anyone she just wanted someone to love her but was unable to accept love or express it. She was just a mess.

Did you faggots even watch it?

Not just her parents, Asuka was rejected by every single person she tried to make a connection with during the series. Except for Hikari, bless her.

This
kys asukafag

Provide an actual argument or fuck off.

>muh feelings

She never tried to make any legitimate connection with anyone. She's old enough to know that some guy in his 20s isn't going to want to fuck a child. She can't expect Shinji to suddenly be nice and accepting when she had rejected and attacked him several times previously.

The first thing Asuka ever says to Rei is that she hopes they can be good friends. Rei not only says no, she also looks annoyed at the mere proposition for no legitimate reason.

One time in elementary school I asked a kid with Down's syndrome to be quiet and he wouldn't listen. I didn't feel rejected at all; I simply realized that a retarded person has diminished capabilities of understanding. For Asuka to not understand this when dealing with lead autist Rei shows what a narcissistic self-absorbed cunt Asuka is.

She starts out by being courteous to everyone, then immediately shits on them. She's desperate for approval and love, but unable to express or receive it on anything but a superficial level.
She repeatedly tries to befriend people, but always end up rejecting them out of fear of them rejecting her.

Watch the fucking thing again, it's obvious. Trust me, i'm a Misatofag, the highest order of gentlemen.

Notice when she says that, her "crowd" is watching her. Its all for show.

Due to the death of mother she tried proving capable of surviving on her own, since she had to/might have to, so it was "if this is worse case scenario, I'll have to be able to do it".
The mistake was that wasn't reality or how real world worked. And in order to show everyone that she too was as good as them despite not having friends/family or anyone, she tried succeeding without it.

She also understands Shinji, and wants him to see that they're both the same. and thinks "Why won't you help me, we could help each other".
In the end, she gets this "why".

Your answer is in the first paragraph though.

I can't remember what she says in Japanese but typically when you meet someone for the first time you'll say "yoroshiku". The English equivalent is just a something like "nice to meet you" but a more literal translation is "be kind to me", which you could just translate as "let's be friends".

Basically, if she does in fact say "yoroshiku" then there's literally nothing to read into in the English translation of that line.

>Misatofag
>not being a Maya fag
UM

She clearly says "nakayoshi" ("good friends").

I don't have any problem with sapphic love, just keep me out of it there is enough neurosis going around already. She is a cute though.

Well then shut my whore mouth.

Yes, because Anno personally explained Asuka's character to her

>that she doesn't even get what Kaworu really means for Shinji's character in the context of the original EVA
Either do you.

But Yoroshiku usually is a greeting, there is alot of animu where a Japanese student would use it in class when the sensei introduces him/her to class.

she was basically an extroverted version of Shinji

Kaji didnt give her the D.
Shinji didnt give her the D.

Those are literally the worst type of girls.

Not really, Asuka new what she wanted and was driven towards it. Even if she sabotaged her own efforts and failed consistently. Shinji was trying to find the reason and will to exist. TEH REI had just abandoned herself, and chosen to only exist as the person someone else saw her as(Commander Ikari's tool).

fite me

>What was Asuka's problem
She is a cunt
>and why didn't anyone cared about her?
Because she's a cunt, though to be fait most characters in EVA are cunts, so there's that.

Rei never "abandon herself" she initially never had one (since she was literally born yesterday) so she wanted to find one first by attaching herself to the nearest person who treated her kindly (first Gendo and then Shinji) but at the end learning to be an individual in herself.

Rei was not born yesterday, it's a common misconception. Her body died but they put her soul/AT field in the clone/dummy bodies. She knew what she was, like Kaworu, but unlike him she suppressed it and chose to just be Ayanami Rei. Possibly because part of her was modeled after Shinjis mom(speculative, but we know she was part of the experiment).
When Gendo tried to use her in the end, she decided to return to who she really was, Lillith/Eve, and abandon Ayanami Rei, Rei only continued to exist, because Shinji wanted her to.

More like Asuka think she knew what she wanted, but she really wanted companionship and friends, the narcissism and haughtiness were just a defense mechanism. Shinji was the same but just put on a shell.

The so called directors cut which had the mind rape scene, which many LAS shippers use as evidence that Asuka had feelings for Shinji, was actually based on a Kawoshin fujoshi author named Nobi Nobita. The name of the doujin was called "Bridal Veil" and was basically about Asuka's delusions of Kaji, and during the kiss with Shinji she imagined she was kissing Kaji.

Sorry Asukafags.

That's pretty much what i said, she was unable to move forward from the past and continued to feed her abandonment issues by rejecting the people she wanted to be close to. However she still knew what she wanted, she was just unable to accept her past and move forward.
Shinji couldn't tell you why he was alive, it was only in the end he realized that he wanted to exist, and to learn about himself through others. The story is about Shinji overcoming the human condition and deciding to exist, grow, and live. Asuka is just a broken person that tried her best to move on but in the end failed because she could only see herself the way her mother saw her, and not the way f.ex Shinji saw her in his re-imagining of the world where they were childhood friends.
The main difference that i point out is that Asuka wanted to live, but didn't know how, and that Shinji had no idea why he was alive, or if he even wanted to be. Rei was likely just trying to be Yui, because she didn't want to become Lillith and possibly end all their lives.

This.

Anno and all the staff basically sunk the Asuka x Shinji ship.

Ya, Anno and the creative team did every thing they could do to kill the ship. They are repulsed by it, and that's why they changed the name in Rebuild.

She was what 15?
her mom killed herself when she was what 6-7?
Dealing with a suicidal parent is really fucking hard.
especially when you are a kid.
I was 18-20 at the time and its a fucking long road to go through.
I watched the show before I had went threw it with my mom and at the time I couldn't even relate.
After rewatching, her whole ordeal struck me to the core. So much so it brought back all the memories and hard times my mother and me went through. It even brought me to tears.
I understand Asuka and completely sympathize more with her than any other character.
Asuka and Kaji are the only 2 characters I don't hate in this show.
Don't get me wrong I love the show but I hate the characters for who they are not because of poor design

It is very probable that rei clones are significantly younger than shinji and asuka. I doubt the cloning process started before yuis death. Rei was first seen around 2007-2008. She can be a "fast growing" clone.

Supposedly she is half their age, in physical terms. But her AT field is a copy of Lillith, with a dash of Ikari Yui, so the part of ther that's Yui is half Shinjis age, as is her body, but the Lillith part is far older. The Yui/Rei part is trying to ignore the fact that it is actually Lillith.
So she is physically younger, but her soul/AT field is older. So she was not born yesterday, she has existed always, but was physically born somewhere around last thursday and she has been here all summer.

Asuka isnt just a victim. Thats one of the points. She and shinji might had a bad childhood, but their own decisions later on their lives only furthered their suffering.
They are responsible for their own fate. Asuka is not a saint. I would go as far as saying she isn't a good person either, but i dont hate her, i just think she is a sad person.

Don't bother arguing with him, I've tried.

You didn't try refuting I'm curious what your thoughts are on that.

Not him, but why would you even think that Asuka and Shinji were in love? They were both confused children, both of them with a twisted and poor impression of the concept.
Asuka was unable to give or receive love, Shinji didn't even understand it's meaning.

I never suggested they were, but those posters that were denying Miyamura's word as truth that Asuka+Shinji are not a thing.

However, Shinji appeared to understand it when he met Kaworu, he actually felt love for him. Asuka has never really understood it other than what she watches on soaps. Her understanding of men are ones that are cliched and not realistic.

Although anno did talk about that doujin once, there is absolutely no proof the mindrape scene is even remotely based on it.
Anno is the only person of the staff that never denied any relationship nor any theory, and the entire series is crafted with this shroud of uncertainty around it.

Any, and i mean ANY direct affirmation about pairing and development is by its very definition wrong and go against everything the series presented. We can only deal in possibilities.
Fucking Grant got it and she is a crazy old woman who never even talked with anno herself. Everyone at the main staff are just pushing their shitty shippings that have as much validation as ours here.

>Without wanting to play armchair-psychiatrist,
>plays anyway

Has anyone ever asked Anno on what what his thoughts were on on Asuka+Shinji? Why did he deliberately make this so vague? We wouldn't be having this discussion if he just strait up said the truth. Its like asking who the G-man is in Half-Life.

Tell me, is there any way to talk about eva without playing the armchair freudian psychiatrist? "It happened because of their mothers and sex drive" fit literally any question about this series.

Ah okay. Though i think Kaworu just made him realize that love was something he wanted, that there were things worth holding onto. Shinji might have had the same effect on Rei. Though it wasn't until instrumentality that Shinji finally realized that things other than himself mattered, and that he had a reason to exist beyond just breathing.
I think all shipfaggotry in EVA is retarded, except in the case of class rep and Toji(not sure if i remembered his name right), even though it was one side it seemed like they were both being set up as a couple. Not that i'm invested in them at all.

sorry user I just found it funny when some said they didn't want to armchair and then proceeded to do so, it just amused me, sorry

I believe he would refuse to say anything. At least 1995 anno. Current anno seen to be on the Rei x Shinji ship, given all 3 rebuilds hint towards that. Which is funny how he used to heavily criticize rei and called her creepy during NGE release. Gotta get that otaku money.

Didn't they make Rei a dead fish in 3.33 and make it dedicated to Kaworu? How could any of the girls kind of be end game when 3.33 hints that Shinji will see Kaworu again.

Yeah, Eva is not the franchise for shipping. That's more for slice of life type anime.

You get it.

It ended with she being "lost" and following shinji and asuka, probably setting up a redemption and or a bigger role with Ghost Rei / Lilith
Plus the entire "Untill you come" PV

>Asuka: Understand!? This is the wall of Jericho!!
>Asuka: One step beyond and you will be sentenced to death!!
>Shinji: O-okay...
>(A wall.)
>Asuka: (See, he won't come across.
>As I thought, he doesn't have the courage.)

Why even bother sending signals like that if you don't deep down want a response? What would she do if he did come in the room, tell him to leave? If she had no interest, why invite him like that instead of just going in her room and go to sleep?

>Starts calling humans "The Lilin" inmediately after becoming an Angel

What a fucking snob

The only ship Anno has ever talked about was Kaworu+Shinji

He doesn't even consider any other ship with Shinji, that's why he never talked about it
It's your misinterpretation, he never meant to portray them that way

Because she wants validation, she wants him to chase after her because it makes her feel like she's wanted.

It's not him that she has any feelings for, she just likes the feeling of people paying attention to her and desiring her. Any boy would do. And the fact that Shinji was ignoring her advances was pissing her off because it made her feel like even a little faggot like him doesn't even want her.

>Any boy would do
Bull fucking shit.
Her locker was literally full with love letters
She just left a date with someone who obviously liked her.
She wanted shinji.

>she just likes the feeling of people paying attention to her and desiring her.
>Any boy would do.
Then why not seek validation from the dozens that sent love letters, or the one she went on a date with?

Fucking retard, reread my post:
>she just likes the feeling of people paying attention to her and desiring her
Those people were already giving her attention, giving her exactly what she wanted. She had no more use for them.

It's the people who don't give her that validation, Kaji and Shinji, that makes her chase after them all the more. As soon as Shinji gave it to her she'd drop him like all the other boys too.
He's just an ugly little faggot to her, but when that ugly little faggot deliberately ignores her, that's the biggest hit to her pride.

Then he shouldn't have made her ask to kiss Shinji, it makes her look like a slut who manipulates men to do what they want.

maybe because shinji seemed unattainable and more on her level but I have the feeling that we're far beyond what the writers initially considered when writing those interactions here

Nah, it makes her look like your average teenage girl.

Asuka was trying to manipulate everyone.

The writers never had the intention of portraying Shinji and Asuka's relationship as romantic.
Sexual tension, sure, but all there was were hormones and desperation. No genuine love there.

That's why Asuka was happy when he died and Shinji didn't care when she was getting eaten by the harpies.
Also why her seiyuu and all the staff keep drowning any possiblity of them as a couple. The shippers are delusional and misinterpreted the series for 20 years.

>>Q: Who do you feel Shinji should end up with?
>>YM: Kaworu.
I'd say she gets it pretty well.

>Shinji didn't care when she was getting eaten by the harpies
Are you stupid? His biggest scream in the entire series was when he saw her dead.

Anno probably forced her to say that

I agree with you, but I will say that Shinji did get pretty angry when she died. His Eva literally turned Super Saiyan.

Yeah, I don't get why people "waifu" her, all hetero relationships in Eva are intentially showed in a toxic light.

Anyone would be horrified if they saw a mangled body.

He didn't give a single shit when she was screaming over the intercom as she got rekt and Maya told him she was dead. He just sat there and emotionless. Didn't care.

>Shinji did get pretty angry when she died
He forgot she died literally 2 seconds later when Kaworu showed up and started smiling like a gigafaggot

Shinji was trembling, in the way a low budget 1990s anime could. He even said "there was nothing I could..."

He didn't get up, he didn't scream her name, he just sat there and shivered like a baby.

He didn't give a shit. If he actually cared about her he would have shown any other emotion than cowardace and fright like he did when Rei and Misato were in trouble.