Violet Evergarden interview

docs.google.com/document/d/17bVaPVuiBWSIjbwOE1TX_Qu1SODv4CuY6UNufCTKi7A/edit

Question @Ishidate: How difficult was it to switch from the Japanese landscape KyoAni is used to to the western/European one in VE?
>Ishidate: It was extremely difficult. Drawing the backgrounds was hard since we wanted Violet Evergarden to take place in a European-esque setting. We had some references but didn’t actually visit Europe beforehand which I regret now. I should have come here earlier.

Question @TRUE: What was your inspiration while making this song?
>TRUE: Violet has to learn a lot of words one by one. That’s why I wanted to put every word in this song together as careful as possible and give it my all. Although self-praise is not recommended, I think I did pretty well.

>Staff
Director: Taichi Ishidate
Series Composition: Reiko Yoshida
Music: Evan Call (Big Order)
Character Design: Akiko Takase (Violet Evergarden LN)
Color Design: Yuka Yoneda (Maidragon)
Art Director: Mikiko Watanabe (Kyoukai no Kanata, Maidragon)

>More VA
Tiffany Evergarden: Toshiko Sawada
Oliver: Satoshi Taki
Lillian: Rie Hikisaka
Nerine: Aya Saito

>Episode 1 staff
Storyboard: Taichi Ishidate
Episode Director: Taichi Ishidate, Haruka Fujita, Shinpei Sawa
Animation Director: Nobouki Maruji, Akiko Takase, Yuko Myoken, Tatsunoko Maruko
Key Animation: Yoshinori Urata, Chiyoko Ueno, Seiichi Akitake, Hiroshi Karata, Fumie Okano, Kunihiro Hene, Nobuaki Maruki, Shinpei Sawa, Taira Yamaguchi, Nami Iwasaki, Kohei Okamura, Tatsunari Maruko, Hidehiro Asama, Sena Suzuki, Kota Seto, Ryosuke Shirakawa, Sae Sawada, Shiho Morisaki, Ryo Miyagi, Ami Kuriki, Aoi Okune, Sayaka Watanabe, Chiharu Kuroda, Saeko Fujita, Aoi Matsumoto, Chika Kamo, Sumire Kusano, Yuki Yokoyama, Kyohei Ando, Mariko Takahashi, Rie Sezaki, Tomoko Yoshimura

If they just pull off this series well, it'll be one of the best anime of all time
and I have faith that kyoani can do it

The hype for this is unreal. They will never live up to this.

I'm disappointed and confused that KyoAni didn't go on a research trip for VEG's setting when that shit is the standard.

I think it's even better that they're going full imagination mode.

>the most exciting anime of next year
>the best looking visuals and animation in anime history
>realistic character designs with incredible amount of details
>classy, elegant yet historical accurate XX century setting with mature protags
>beautiful dramatic plot based on over-the-top writing novel with some literature awards
>excellent story that left every person watched it in tears even after the first episode, also the longest line to prescreen event among all AnimeExpo panels
Also looking at the number of animation directors, every inch of screen will be animated. Now tell me, how it's not the best animated thing humanity ever produced and how Kyoani is not the best studio.

No matter how good it is, it's not going to live up to your expectations.

They're still using photo references. I still want them to come up with their own settings, but direct inspiration would've been nothing but beneficial to the production.

Though I guess I'm looking forward to what KyoAni's background department is able to come up with since they've only been illustrating their own surroundings up until this point.

and it's licensed by netflix, so subs 3 month after it's over

I'm a pleb when it comes to the staff, is this an all star line up?

No.

Half of the studio's animators and animation directors worked on the episode.

Translation

>we didn't have enough money to go to Europe so we couldn't take a million photos to run through photoshop to blur, bloom, and distort
>for once we actually had to draw backgrounds
>please don't use google image search to fact check

All their backgrounds are drawn.

That's a good joke user. I bet you think the mobile suits in Gundam Unicorn weren't CGI traced over.

Their backgrounds may be heavily referenced, but they're still drawn.

The joke isn't funny the second time user. Just because they have the ability to auto-trace in photoshop doesn't mean the backgrounds are drawn.

Yeah, your joke is pretty boring and lame

>I bet you think the mobile suits in Gundam Unicorn weren't CGI traced over.
I apologize for taking the bait. I missed this sentence the first time around.

It might be pretty, but in the end it's still about an old shit hag, but normalfags will bite.

What constitutes as a hag to you?

Anything visually above high school age. So, hags.

So still no leaks? The Yakuza is pretty thorough.

No European anons who watched the European premiere?

>European premiere
wait...
>AnimagiC 2017 event in Germany
I... I didn't want to go, who would go to an anime convention ha ha ha

;_;

You never watched LWA, did you?

Also, I've tried to read and watch previews fo this thing and I still have zero clue of what it's about. Personal waifu robots?

Don't Kyoani usually only have like 5 animators per episode?

Shit is gonna be nuts

Pure kinography

The episodic amanuensis adventures of a former child soldier.

>Ishidate: I am influenced very much by them. But this is not limited to live-action but to all kinds of motion pictures. I want to see as much as I possibly can. I have a lot of favorite western films and am not sure what I’m allowed to say, but to name one, I love Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar”.

Patrician confirmed

Ty user. O boi, I'll sure love me a nu-Mahoromatic.

Hope so