How did YOU survive the 2008 hyper-recession?

How did YOU survive the 2008 hyper-recession?

oldfags get the FUCK in here

Checked

I spent time with my friends.

I spent time with my hopes and dreams.

I spent time on the streets.

I spent time finding my own way

Looking back, My friends and all I knew were claimed by it and I stand alone.

Surviving is what I do...

Shit jobs and kosher tier money saving tactics.

I lived in Texas and kept working and budgeted. Don't live above your means.

didn't

posting from the underworld

My dad moved us to another state where my dad could find a job after we lost our house. I was 17 at the time. Sucked but he did the right thing.

I was working as an engineer for a private utility company that had already factored our pay into their rate increase.

Played with my dick and Xbox 360
>I was 14

Same here. It sucked, but I still ate well.

Bought a house in 2007 that I paid 25% cash so my payments were managable, I was also lucky enough to work in an industry that used to be recession proof, but is now recession tough (if that makes any sense).

Didn't lose anything but as the sole provider of a family of 5 I was a bit worried sometimes as you can imagine.

>Eat crock pot chili and PB&J for 2 years
>Drive without insurance for 6 months
>Default on my student loans
>Only form of entertainment was biking and going to the library
>Eventually join the Army

Shit was pretty gay.

i was studying at the time when the recession hit globally and it damaged me beyond belief. Couldn't save me. Im still suffering from it.

I was working at AIG at the time, we all thought we were going to lose our jobs, it was pretty exciting times

I started a business about that time. Still in business today.

Working two jobs

I joined the Army and chilled in Iraq. Good times

Had a shitty retail job and a shitty apartment to go with.
However, since I trained hard from childhood in the art of being a cheapskate, I felt I was living better than a lot of the suckers around me with better jobs and worse debt.

What do you think of people who spend a lot during hard economies and have an enjoy the decline approach?

I was poor before that nothing changed for me

Working three jobs.
I have little to no recollection of 2009-2012 when I was in a constant haze of tired from working so much I had only four and a half hours of sleep daily split into two hour chunks and the one lunch break I designated as a sleep break.

Had just gotten my undergrad. Lived with Mom and Dad for six months until I could come up with a job. Shit sucked.

I was homeless with my alcoholic murderer dad in a van in 2009, and I got a job picking up garbage for the state in 2010 during the hiring freeze.

pretty much this. Graduated in 2009 during the absolute height of hiring freezes and layoffs. And I have a forestry degree, not some useless liberal arts shit. But no housing development means no logging, which means no hiring of foresters or timber consultants. Had to move back in with my fucking parents and work at a home improvement store for $8/hr until i could save up enough to move into a shit hole apartment. Existed on beans and rice, wouldn't run the heat/ac unless absolutely necessary, rode my bike everywhere I could. Did odd jobs for extra cash, avoided debt as much as possible. I literally used to cut my own hair and i learned how to sew to fix my clothes and sheets. Grew a few vegetables in a little balcony garden, my folks have a small farm and I would kill a couple of deer every winter and freeze 100lbs or so of meat.
There was not much enjoyment or leisure in my life for a few years, but I made it out better than many people I know. People that lost their homes and jobs, living in cars or cheap motel rooms. People with little to no real world skills to fall back on. Shit sucks, all you can really do is try to wait it out. When the next one happens it will probably be even worse.

in the woods

If they can afford it, good for them. No reason to wallow in others' misery. If they can't, then they have problems.
But the point about cheapskatery is that you can enjoy as good stuff as others for much less. Look for bargains, fix your broken stuff instead of buying a replacement, Try to spend money on thing that should last, etc. The knowledge you gain in the process is just as valuable as the money you save.

>it will probably be even worse
I dread the day. The thing is we don't know where the bubble is right now. All we know is that they decided to diversify into multiple bubbles instead of one big bubble.

It's going to hurt badly. I remember sleeping in a car. Shit sucks.

I find I still prepare and wait for another recession.
I feel it was never resolved .
Do i have ptsd from it?

I was 9 years old in 2008.

>multiple bubbles
I fear this as well. I keep only what I need to in an actual bank. I try to keep as much of my net worth as possible in cash, pm's, and some crypto. If all else fails i'm lucky enough to be a red state burger so I can at least shoot back at dindu hordes while i hoof it out to the farm, if it comes down to that

That tent is not set up properly lol

I was 15

They will continue to happen, they are meant to happen. Some people can also gain a ton of money from intentionally crashing the markets. Go learn economics.

I didn't spend much time in one place, it was easier to take down that way.

my parents gave me 100k so I wouldnt get a margin call

the crash that almost happened was not prevented. every measure was taken to keep west going just a little longer.

I was still in high school but both of my parents worked in the housing market at the time. I think they're still paying those few years off.

Cut my own salary, fired three people, ran up the company credit line. Still kicking 9 years later.

This.

I turned down a job at Bear Stearns and my dad thought I was fucking retarded, he repeatedly called me retarded actually. Wound up taking a job at a law firm downtown, I enjoy bringing it up every chance I get.

2008 was rough for alot of people around wall Street. Black car service, bars, restaurants, service vendors all took a big hit when the spigot of cash stopped flowing.

This was right when I graduated university. I moved to Korea and taught English for a year because I figured that was a job most people wouldn't be willing to take that there was lots of demand for even with an economic crisis going on.
I wouldn't recommend doing that though in retrospect FYI.

delivered pizzas and went skiing with friends in the same same situation like 4-5 days a week. Lived in a house with 3 other good friends and paid about $400/month for utilities. Partied but not excessively. Thank god I didn't have a family or a wife.

Now make about 5x what i did back then, own a 400k house, make almost 6-figures but not as happy as I was then.

A shit load of people at my company got laid off and everyone that was left had their pay cut by 7% or more

Worked 2 jobs. Rented a tiny room in my friend's dead grandpa's house. Didn't pay back student loans at all. Didn't qualify for a credit card. Netflix and $2 bowling night for recreation.
Eventually I moved around alot to get work. Crashed at relative's houses and went back to school to get a Master's. I'm still unmarried and looking to settle down. My exes are all preggo or unfriended me on facebook. Came into some money when my Dad died unexpectedly.

My job wasn't affected and I didn't own property, but gas got a lot cheaper so overall I had more money in my pocket.

>Black car service, bars, restaurants, service vendors all took a big hit when the spigot of cash stopped flowing.
I remember it was pointed out that Obama and the Congressmen who were making a big deal about shaming bailout recipients for showing up in private jets or otherwise spending money on unnecessary luxuries were seriously fucking over honest workers in those service industries by creating the impression that using their services was immoral.

You do realize we are about to crash much, much worse, right?

What’s with all the poorfags ITT who were actually affected by this shit? The only thing that changed for me was the amount of bitching from poor people (especially niggers) rose exponentially. I couldn’t watch the news for a year and a half. I seriously hope there isn’t another “recession,” because I’ll have to listen to you fucking broke faggots cry all over again.

I had a pretty good job at the time at a frozen food ware house making 21 bucks an hour. People still need to eat, my job was kinda recession proof. I sold my truck when gas hit 3 dollars a gallon and bought a 90s Civic. Gas went up to 4 dollars a gallon here a couple months later.

Well, I got out of school in 2008 and there were no jobs. I just worked fast food. No one wanted to hire me. It was pretty damn depressing.

I started my own business, made some pretty decent money, then I wanted to expand. Banks told me to fuck off despite my perfect credit score, I wasn't reporting "enough" to the IRS to really take out any sort of loan.

Went back to school but that was a waste of time. I only made it in 2017 when my crypto coins shot up like crazy. Almost a millionaire now and I'm damn happy the system rejected me everywhere, otherwise I wouldn't have invested

Started making my own beer and booze

There were many people that were millionaires that lost their shit. Not to the point of poverty but still like half of their investments. It was a good check though, I had a few family members that bought very expensive homes in 2007 and were finally able to recover in 2015. It was a useful tool to show the Jew exists, but now I see it happening again.

I didn't go back to Alberta and taught English in China. Best thing I ever did for myself.

moved to Las Vegas and bought two houses i later sold for 150k profit each.
god I wish we'd get another collapse

Is Alberta the biggest meme?

I got a shitty $10/hr job at a ski resort, it came with subsidized housing, there was free public transportation around town, i learned to cook to save money on food, didn’t drink or go out to bars that often, went snowboarding all day and was still able to save $200 a week

And one summer I went to Hawaii, lived on a farm, you had to work from 6am-11am every day but you had the rest of the day off to do whatever, free room and board and $15 a day, not much but the livin was easy

>Be leaf in high school in 2008
>Live with parents so no bills
>Summer working jobs saving up money because I wanted to invest in stocks but needed to be 18 to open up a brokerage account
>2008 crash
>Everything on sale
>Turned 18 in 2009
>Buy up cheap stocks
>Literally do nothing and make a shit ton of money

One time in my life where timing was good kek
Afterwards I move NY in 2014 to find a job in IB and can't find shit. Sucks.

Yea bud, it was a disgrace and a fucking farce. I know attorneys that were working in litigation at White shoe firms that got let go over "bad reviews" 150k law school debt and some were forced to take temp jobs reviewing documents for 30 bucks an HR. It hit a whole cross section of people.

>he wants to work in IB in NY
>he doesn't come from a well connected Jewish/WASP family

lmao maybe if you're lucky you can work for TD in Toronto and make 60k starting

Moved to Texas and worked in the oil industry. Got the hell out by 2012.

But man it was a drunken blast.

My self employment failed with the collapse so I got a job. Worked my way up. Now I'm an engineer at a tear 1 company making twice as much. If the economy did not collapse I would still be a self employed loser.

I was in the eighth grade at the time. My dad lost his job then sold the house and we moved down south where the job market is less competitive. I'm waiting for another recession to happen, it's coming.

Graduated college right as the Recession was starting.
>Got a summer job working security for a theme park
>Worked through the fall and winter as a handyman's apprentice while trying to get into law enforcement
>2008 - Recession full swing, work dried up, lost job, still trying to get into law enforcement
>Got job as waiter for Cracker Barrel just waiting to start police academy
>Failed police psych test. No police academy
>Family friend suggests go Navy
>Talked to recruiter
>Applied, got accept, started 2009
>Been with Navy since, making $$$, visiting foreign ports for free, drinking tons of alcohol

I recommend go into the military if nothing else pans out in your life.

I was 8, played on my playstation until the whole thing blew over

>Failed police psych test

Elaborate

this. I'm currently pursuing a BS in finance from a big state school and come from a family thats well connected. I personally have known a MD since I was 7, hes one of my dads fraternity brothers. My dad knows a couple others and his best friends older brother is a private equity CEO. I have it made in the shade and I'm probably not going to have to be an analyst either, as I have a rich friend whos letting me manage her trust fund when she hits 26. We're the same age, 19.

Whats your situation, friend?

I was around 23 in 2008. I had a job working armed security at a nuclear power plant. I lived at home, saved up 27,000. Quit my job, and traveled the country. Within a year of ballin' I was out. I worked 11 dollar store hour jobs and lived in a trailer for 320 a month and slept on a mattress on the floor. When to college, dropped out then joined the army.

>Went into college at the beginning of the recession
>dropped out
>only jobs available were shot kitchen jobs.
In 2012 I finally managed to land a warehouse job that paid pretty well, worked there for almost a year before o finally went off to the military.
Now I'm about to start school with 100% tuition covered and get a paycheck the whole way through.
Not typical, but it works. If another recession comes along, the military will pay the bills

Ok, thanks!

>did

I'm still trying to survive it, we're stll in its wake.

I remodeled foreclosed houses that niggers and degenerates lost to the bank. Lots of people just left their entire life behind, which sometimes included all their kids toys and dozens of handles of hard liquor. Others stole all the appliances, even the ones built into walls and counters. I just lived in a shitty house and went to community college in my spare time

The Finnish economy got fucked really hard and I grew to hate bankers. I hope the second wave will destroy private central banking and this economic system which is based on creating more loan.

>state school, no ivy league, not even MIT or cal tech
>knows a doctor(skilled labourer)

Sorry lad but compared to old money you are just a pleb, if your family doesn't already have a net worth of 1 billion in the year 2018 you missed the boat

I work in engineering/trades in the oil field, I may be a pleb but I know my place in society, the fact that we even have to work a job means we a re working class losers

We didn't do anything. We kept working as usual, and nothing happened. It was nothing. I saw zero difference in my paycheck.

He's right you know. Youre a pleb by elite standards ...if you're not old money plebin

So right on.

I grew weed at that time so business was pretty good. I was actually doing ok then but everyone lost money. Prices were so high we were getting 4K for a pound. If a recession begins, definitely invest in drugs.

MD means managing director in the finance world. I hope you're trolling

Right by elite standards, not compared to 99% of the world

I was in the army at the time.I basically rode out the 5 years of suck in the army while smugly making fun of wageslaves in an attempt to cover for my crippling depression.
My IRA was DESTROYED

I voted for Barack Obama.

I was in my mid twenties, working back-of-house in a beer bar. I was listening to a lot of Alex Jones, and he kept telling me to buy gold and silver. That's what I did, and I kept doing it for a couple years more. I love in a market that is considered "recession proof."

2008 was the best thing to have ever happened to my group of friends. Bought tons of property on the cheap. Bought stock at a low. Now, 10 years later none of us have to work anymore.

Employment is still fucked up, wages have stagnated and rent gets more expensive every year. Prices of houses keep going up.

I never lost my job, even when all my friends got fired from engineering firms and took extended vacations on the gubment's dime. What a fucking ripoff.

I was day trading at the time, so my money was out of the market. I bought near the bottom and have been riding the market up ever since.

Bought silver at five dollars an ounce, sold at forty five dollars an ounce.

>be me
>was homeless for 2 1/2 years in the woods of E. Texas; read: no money, power, income, food, job, job prospects, hygiene, vehicle, etc...
>could not depend on family also hit hard
>ex-Marine finds me in the woods (still don't really know how), and after 6 months convinces me to return to society, get a regular bed, power, water, hygiene, income, vehicle, etc...
>only now truly recovering just in time for housing bubble crash 2.0
HOORAY!

I was in college but I kinda got fucked when I came out in 2012. I still found a job in my field with lower pay than I would have pre-recession (56k vs 70k). Now I’m getting paid 140k with less taxes. Thanks Trump!

The one dollar double cheese burger. Remember it was at this time that they went from two pieces of cheese to one! Started calling it a McDouble. I was taking in like 700 calories a day and when they pulled that bullshit I about lost it. One day I went in and smashed up a bank lobby and the cops in my little town didn’t even lock me up because they knew things were fucked up. Oh, the Economic Crisis Monster, what a strange memory.

Oh shit has the housing market been imploding again? I might use my VA home loan in less than a year after all.

>Garlic salt
>Rice
>Peas
>Corn
or
>Buy ramen in bulk
>Onions
>Green onions

Bitches don't know 'bout welfare living.

>Move to Hongcouver in 2003(21)
>Pre-housing price explosion
>Recently done trade school(Carpenter)
>Buy cheep German made home(Built 1960) in southeast part of city for $350k
>Business as usual for the next 10 years, always have work because chinks are always buying properties, tearing down, rebuilding houses to launder corruption money.
>2008 recession hit scared for my life about losing work
>Nothing changes for me, still get more jobs than me and business can take on because the Chinese government will always be corrupt.
>Fast forward to today house has been paid for for 5 years, constantly get offers from developers to buy my ugly house in their beautiful neighborhood for 5-6 times what I paid for it.

Life has treated me pretty well, I only have to work 3-4 days a week now monitoring the sites my company is working on. I can take months off at a time if I want, and all I have is a highschool diploma carpentry ticket.

I jumped out of a window.

>Bitches don't know 'bout welfare living.
Welfare bitches don't know about welfare living.

I was working for the Jews at the Fox Network on the big HD upgrade. Not only did I make enough to buy a house outside Yosemite to rent out to tourists. I also got myself a 1/4 mile to the beach apartment in Santa Monica for less than 1k per month.
4 ME IT WAS GOOD TIMES!

the dopest thing to come out of 2008 was bitcoin

NASA contractor. I kept my job until Obama fired me when he cancelled Bush's space program, scratched off Bush's name, and then called it the Obama space program.

It cost the nation about 2 million jobs, 5 billion dollars, and 5 years of delays for the new rocket development.

I was renting. Paid $1200/month for a few years. the fucking bastard landlord was actually going through bankruptcy and taking the money and not paying his own mortgage with it. Yeah, I guess that was his choice but WTF? I basically lost my house, my car got repo'd, and then I lost my job. Had to move back home with my folks.

Worked 20 hours a week at Home Depot for $9.25/hour. One of my coworkers was a biochem engineer. He watered flowers.