Why didn't seinen manga tv anime adaptations exist before 1997?

Why didn't seinen manga tv anime adaptations exist before 1997?

Eva

Golgo
Lupin

Because most shit before 97 was aimed at adults anyway, it didnt need to specifically stated. Or do you seriously think that shows like Macross, Gundam, Maison Ikkoku, etc could even be understood and appreciated by kids? Only after the market grew was there a reason to adapt Seinen to fill all the timeslots.

>Eva
That wasn't an adaptation.
>Golgo
There wasn't a tv adaptation.
>Lupin
True, though the adaptation was more aimed at kids.
Not necessarily by kids, but they could be easily understood by teens.

>but they could be easily understood by teens
Looking at robots fighting or understanding the constant implications uttered by someone like Yotsuya are completely different things. No way in hell would a teen be able to appreciate the latter. The same can be said about the underlying messages in most mecha shows. If you want a mecha that is actually aimed towards teens then theres GaoGaiGar or GetterRobo, Gundam shows are way too dialogue and moral driven to be appreciated by anyone but an adult.

That anime is trash and only the Berserk manga should exist. Experiencing it any other way is a disservice.

Usually they were done as OVAs to allow for the more adult themes.

I dunno, I feel the books people in middle school or high school I hace read were even more complex and hard to appreciate than something like Gundam and most people don't have that much of a problem with those.
True, so why did it start becomming more of a tv thing?

> most shit before 97 was aimed at adults anyway
On TV? No, it fucking wasn't.

>Gundam
Literally a toy advertisement for children. Perhaps not in Tomino's mind, but in the producers', definitely - hell, that's why Amuro's a teen. It was meant to be watched by adults as well, but "hurr kids couldn't get it, it was aimed only at adults" is just wrong.

> Maison Ikkoku
Seinen.

>True, so why did it start becomming more of a tv thing?
Probably because TV usurped OVAs in general.

warau salesman

Also one episode of warau salesman literally has IRL nudity

>but they could be easily understood by teens.
what? so can berserk and eva i watched them both when i was 13 or 14

is the one who brought that up as a metric, complain to him.

this thread has literally two answers (warau salesman and maison ikoku)
Now go and kill yourself, faggot OP

>is just wrong
Do you unironically believe that GunPla wasnt bought by adults back then? Are you retarded or something? Just because its a toy advertisement doesnt mean that it was aimed mostly towards children. If you seriously think that the average teen could understand the underlying concepts of most mecha shows then you suffer from some mental disability.

Yeah I am sure you were fully able to appreciate Evangelion when you were 13, absolutely. This place is riddled with geniuses again who, by the the time they enter puberty, are already able to appreciate all sorts of serious topics.

>Toy commercials and baby's first romcom
>not for kids

>Do you unironically believe that GunPla wasnt bought by adults back then
GunPla wasn't bought by anyone when they were first making the show, because it didn't exist yet.
> Just because its a toy advertisement doesnt mean that it was aimed mostly towards children
I never implied that. I called it a toy advertisement for children, not that all toy advertisements were for children. As I said, the reason Amuro is a teen is to better market their toys. Do you think they made him a teen to better market their toys to adults? No, obviously not.

>If you seriously think that the average teen could understand the underlying concepts of most mecha shows then you suffer from some mental disability.
If you seriously think that people have to fully appreciate everything about a show in order to like it or be targeted for their money by it, you're the retard here.

>Toy commercials
Every single show exists to sell merch. Some shitty figure really isnt less of a toy than Gunpla.

>baby's first romcom
This doesnt make much sense.

>GunPla wasn't bought by anyone when they were first making the show, because it didn't exist yet.
First Gundam show came out in 1979, first GunPla in 1980. Dunno, seems pretty close to me.

>Do you think they made him a teen to better market their toys to adults? No, obviously not.
PingPong is a seinen and about teens. So are SSY, Youjo Senki, NNB, Monogatari (I mean its classified as such, dunno), 3-gatsu, Yahari, bebop highschool etc. All of these shows are classified as seinen, hence aimed at adults. All of them have teenagers (or even younger characters) as leads. Not even gonna start on all the other CGDCT shows, which are literally about teenagers and almost all of them are primarily aimed at an adult audience.

>people have to fully appreciate everything
There is a reason why mecha shows that are specifically aimed towards children, like GaoGaiGar or GetterRobo, have so much more fighting. Flashy superpowers and combat are what you need to appeal to kids/teens. Most mecha shows have way too much politically driven dialogue. I mean, maybe you were someone who was interested in moral talk by the time he was 15, but I am going out on a limb here and claim that this does not apply to the average viewer.

Eva was the show that broke the trend and showed that late-night TV anime for adults/otaku could be profitable.
Before Eva 99% of all anime fell into two categories - TV animation for kids or families, designed to sell merchandise and/or a series brand, and direct-to-video OVAs for the more serious adult animation fans. What you're asking for is mostly in the latter category.
Eva was a paradigm shift, showing that both home video sales and merchandise for audiences beyond kids/family could be profitable enough for TV anime. The entire late-night anime scene, which accounts for most of what we watch today, is pretty much thanks to Eva's success. It's also the reason why OVAs pretty much vanished starting in the early 2000s.

This.

I ALREADY FUCKING TOLD YOU THAT WARAU SALESMAN IS AN ANIME ADAPTATION OF A SEINEN MANGA AND IT AIRED ON 1989 FIRST
AND IT IS MEANT FOR ADULTS
NOW GO AND WATCH MORE ANIME BUT SPOUTING SHIT OUT OF YOUR MOUTH, YOU FUCKING NIGGER

But as has been mentioned, before Eva there were seinen manga adaptations like Lupin III, Maison Ikkoku and Warau Salesman.

berserk is a shounen

Those were pretty large exceptions from the rule though. I mean Warau Salesman, Lupin and Maison Ikkoku managed to come out because they were crazy popular. It's like saying Simpsons didn't start a trend for more adult oriented tv cartoons because the Flinstons existed before it. Thing is that Simpsons started the trend.

I mean after Eva's popularity kicked in you would have an adult oriented tv anime each season.

>Maison Ikkoku

Is that the show that gets ruined by the fags who lives with the mc? Kinda remember watching some of it years ago.

>ruined
Yotsuya is unquestionably the best character in that show, user. He might even be the best character in all of anime.

A) I didn't say that every single series ever made before Eva followed that rule, just the vastly overwhelming majority.
B) I never said anything about Seinen or otherwise. Seinen is a manga demographic, it doesn't even make sense to apply it to anime in general. Some seinen adaptions easily fit into the 'shows made for kids or families, designed to sell merchandise and/or a series brand' - Lupin and Maison Ikkoku (being a Takahasi work) both fit easily. Whether or not a show is actually seinen has no bearing on anything I said. Most shows you're calling seinen, when I assume you're meaning 'adult-oriented', would have been OVAs.
Eva is still the series that changed everything.

>it doesn't even make sense to apply it to anime in general
If source material and adaptation are mostly the same then it sure as hell does. Mirroring plotlines and storyarcs arent suddenly more "mature" becuase they arent animated. Re-arranging some story arcs doesnt suddenly change the seriousness of the topic. The only difference between manga and anime very often is that a certain pacing is being forced onto the viewer.

>Maison Ikkoku (being a Takahasi work) [...] fit easily
Questionable. Very, very questionable. Especially the part where you imply that something, that is being directed by a certain individual, automatically means that its primarily aimed towards a certain demographic. The jokes that are uttered by the sidecast are as much aimed towards an adult audience as they were in the manga. The differences between manga and anime are absolutely minor.

Besides, just because you claim that a show that primarily tries to sell merchandise automatically is one that is aimed towards kids/family doesnt suddenly make it a fact. If Maison Ikkoku is a seinen manga, and the anime is trying to advertise merchandise in form of the source material, then why exactly would it try to sell said merchandise to a younger crowd that the manga isnt even aimed towards? The shows target demographic was adults, whether you like it or not. Touch's on the other hand wasnt (by now I am almost certain that I know who you are).

My comments are geared mostly towards OP. Saying a series is an adaption of a seinen series is meaningful, sure, but referring to anime as 'seinen', as if it were its own anime genre, doesn't really make much sense. Also 'seinen' doesn't necessarily mean mature or serious or adult, it's just a target demographic - K-ON is seinen for example. The term 'seinen' means teenager/young adult. It covers older, more adult-oriented works as well, but a huge portion of it is pretty much the equivalent of young adult fiction (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc) in the west.

Takahashi, as in Rumiko Takahashi? The famous manga author, richest woman in Japan, author of Urussei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, Inuyasha and many others? Even if it's a seinen series, anything authored by her is going to fit into the 'kids and family popular' category. An exception because of her extreme popularity, it doesn't change the general rule.

In the end, nothing you've said really contradicts what I've said. It's a well-established fact that Eva was a major turning point for the industry. Before that shows made for dedicated animation fans or more adult audiences were almost exclusively restricted to OVA, and TV anime was only shows for more general audiences. Eva showed the niche stuff could be profitable and successful on TV.

>but a huge portion of it is pretty much the equivalent of young adult fiction (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc) in the west.
For seinen
> target audience of comics like Weekly Manga Times and Weekly Manga Goraku which are aimed at men from their 20s to their 50s.
Meanwhile for shonen
>but it is primarily intended for boys between the ages of 8 to 18

So no, neither do teenagers fit under seinen, nor are fictional works like Harry Potter really in the same category. So now youre not only redefining genre association of shows, but you also try to redefine demographical association. Very interesting, what other terms are you gonna redefine in the future?

>anything authored by her is going to fit into the 'kids and family popular' category
An author being popular doesnt mean that all of its works are targetting the same demographic. If someone is famous, and that results in sales, then it doesnt automatically mean that the work is intended to be consumed by everybody from 10-60 or that the majority of the fanbase consists of younger individuals. This chain of arguments makes literally no fucking sense.

>nothing you've said really contradicts what I've said. It's a well-established fact that Eva
I wasnt even referring to any of that, but ok.

>Seinen manga (青年漫画) are manga marketed toward adolescent boys and men old enough to read kanji. In Japanese, the word "seinen" literally means "youth," but the term "seinen manga" is also used to describe the target audience of comics like Weekly Manga Times and Weekly Manga Goraku which are aimed at men from their 20s to their 50s.

You can at least quote the entire thing from Wikipedia, instead of just selectively cutting off the phrase to say what you want it to say. The lower half of that range most certainly includes what would be called 'young adult fiction'. Seinen includes stuff for teens as well as older audiences, note the 'also' right before the part you quoted. And sure it overlaps with shounen at the edges, that doesn't change anything.