What is the most definitive way to watch Dragon Ball Z?

What is the most definitive way to watch Dragon Ball Z?

There are so many censorings, edits, recuts, remasters and minor changes throughout the steady release of several boxsets over the last two decades that it makes my head spin.

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/932632
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think the remastered dub with the funi voices throughout is the best, but that's just because the funi dub is what I've heard the most. There is a certain charm to watching it like the original run where the ocean dub switches over to the funi dub.

I can't handle the original nip though, forgive me. Goku's voice is just not doable for me.

Read the manga. There is no such thing as a good Dragon Ball anime.

>I can't handle the original nip though, forgive me. Goku's voice is just not doable for me.
Hey, Reddit.

Oh, and original japanese music too, not faulconer, I only like faulconer at certain moments.

I'm sorry. I have never reddited. I do not have an account. I think you'll find most people like what they grew up with.

Gentlemen, please. This is not the thread to squabble over reddit. I'd just like to get some detailed comparisons between the editions.

For me is the way I first saw it: Ocean dub from the start until Goku lands on Namek, and then the Funi dub with Faulconer music for the rest. I'm kind of indifferent to Kai and Goku/teen Gohan's voices in the Jap version make the whole thing a non-starter.

If you want something actually good then read the manga. If you refuse to read then watch Kai. Kai removed most of the filler which makes it the best release by default, even though it has shitty music.

Don't skip Dragon Ball memester. If you go subbed/raw stick with original music for Z. Only go Faulconer if you're on the dub and sampled some tracks (and liked them). I don't think he kicks in until season two though.
Kai and non-Funi dubs are all shit.

>just read the manga
Jesus christ. Fine!
>there's like eight different editions
Now we're back to the same fucking question, user.

Just watch Kai. Problem solved.

Piccolo to Dr. gero
english-you know i used to be like you, one day you'll learn that the more you hurt others the harder your life becomes, it's simple your desire to kill is killing you

japanese- make a note of this, as we fight, we can take our energy, as you call it, amplify it, then release it in one explosive burst.
(karate chops his arm off)

Learn Japanese and read the Kanzenban.

/thread

VHS recordings of Toonami broadcasts (commercials included) with Funimation dubs and Bruce Faulconer soundtrack.

You just hit me with a heavy wave of nostalgia with this post, and I'm not really fond of the DBZ dub.

No definitive way exists. There are tradeoffs. ALWAYS TRADEOFFS.

Personally I like Kai with Yamamoto's score but on Blu-Ray you can only get Yamamoto up to episode 76 (if you look around). Episodes 77-95 aired on HDTV with Yamamoto's score BUT they aired in 16:9 meaning they were cropped using a technique called tilt & scan (a vertical variant of pan & scan).

>Faulconer
His soundtrack all sounds exactly the same though. Just generic 80s space music.

dbz kai and dbz kai the final chapters are fine.

Dragon Ball Recut is a fan edit of Dragon Ball to be more manga accurate and it's basically perfect, you should be able to find a torrent.

When content is being dubbed it is common to change the dialogue. Sometimes it is because otherwise it is difficult to match up the dialogue to the character's mouth movements and other times it's because the translators/localizers think they are creative geniuses who can do a better job than the original creators.

It caused some weird dialogue in dubbed versions of Z and Kai. So I just rewatched Kai in Japanese.

>I can't handle the original nip though, forgive me. Goku's voice is just not doable for me.
It's weird at first but you get used to it. Super sounds totally normal to me now because of that.

Latin America dub is GOAT

>dbz kai and dbz kai the final chapters are fine.
There's still a bunch of differences between releases.

For Kai (episodes 1-98) you have:
>100% Kikuchi soundtrack featured in some Blu-Ray and DVD releases.
>Yamamoto up to 52, Kikuchi the rest of the way in some more Blu-Ray and DVD releases.
>Yamamoto up to 76, Kikuchi the rest of the way in a few Blu-Ray releases (I think some DVD's had Yamamoto up to 72 or something?).
>Fuji TV HDTV rips with Yamamoto up to 95, Kikuchi 96, 97 (98 didn't air due to earthquake).
>HDTV rips from all over the world (nicktoons for instance had Yamamoto up to episode sixty something).
>Yamamoto revival project (Yamamoto manually re-inserted into dubbed Blu-Ray)
>Stitch Encodes release (HDTV audio + Blu-Ray video manually glued together for Yamamoto up to 97).
>etc...
Moreover, some of the above have dual audio, some do not. Some are in 4:3 (original aspect ratio) and some have been cropped to 16:9 (TV broadcasts, specifically, but I think some Blu-Rays have too).

As far as Kai: The Final Chapters:
>International version is named Kai: The Final Chapters. It was created first, only for international release.
>Japanese version is just extra parts/seasons of Dragon Ball Kai. Has roughly 8 episodes worth of content less than the international version (content was cut so that it could be broadcast in one year on Japanese TV). Episode numbering/titles differ a bit from international version. Some animation fixes/changes have been made to Japanese version.
The soundtrack for Final Chapters was entirely done by Sumitomo (same guy who does Super, Battle of the Gods, and Revival of F). I don't even know if Final Chapters had 16:9 cropping going on.

I just finished watching Kai up to episode 98 and am deciding what to do for the rest of it. That shit is not simple unless you don't give a fuck.

Gokus voice is shit in nip, absolute shit.
It's one of the only time dubs are better.
Too bad the english dub screws with dialogue, characters (i.e gokus first ss speech) and censoring because piccolo, vegeta and goku are fucking great, voice wise.

An old womans voice just doesn't cut it for a muscley, middle aged male martial artist. Her voice is just bad in general, moreso because of her age(she's been at it for a while).
It takes the piss out of any scene with goku.

Dragon Box

It should be a 4:3 BluRay release of the original without censorship. But there is none.
I think there's only a few chapters at the beginning of the series. But eventually they decided it to trim it to a 16:9 ratio.
So far the best way to watch it would be the original Japanese DVD release, but it's by no means a "definitive" release.

What are some good english patched VNs or games to get?

I think there's varying levels of censorship in most of the releases. Even Kai has some (though not nearly as much as American Z).

It's kind of weird too, imo, since Blu-Ray releases typically don't have censorship.

The voice sounds natural to me now. Which is weird because I remember being totally put off by it when I first heard it.

Are you talking about Z or Kai? Also wasn't there a Z remaster (forgive me if I'm wrong, I've mostly been looking at Kai)? Was that in 4:3 or 16:9?

DBZ adult VN's?? I feel how Future Trunks must have felt when he realized it had never crossed his mind to try and surpass the Super Saiyan form.

>murricans will never enjoy the materpiece that is the latin american dub
I feel bad for you. Nip Goku is indeed absolute garbage. Sounds like a neurotic old lady.

DBZ is one of the few shows that actually has a good English dub, at least as far as the voices go. I've never seen it in Spanish, though I suppose I could since I understand the language well enough.

My mexican coworker showed it to me.
While anythings better than hag goku I'd have to say too many voices sounded samey.
Like they had one idea of what a tough guy is supposed to sound like and rolled with it for a bunch of them.
They did the child voices better though.

It's generally shonen or western styled shows that have good english dubs
I.E. bebop, yu yu hokusho, dbz, outlaw star, dandy, ect.

DBZ is definitely the prime example though, as it didn't have to work hard to inprove on the original (voice wise)

i watched z first, lost nothing

The blu ray sets

>watching Kai
could someone explain this meme to me? Why would a board that is puritanical about quality watch edited anime? There's no filler in DBZ, just like there's no filler in Beavis and Butthead. If you ever try to watch Beavis and Butthead in later releases with music video segments removed, it's too fast to be considered interesting. Same thing with the DBZ fights. If every conflict begins within a few seconds of the standoff, all of the tension is gone. If you watch them both, you'll find that the villains in the real DBZ seem to pose a greater threat; they're more ominous. These are pertinent moments we're losing. So too with the light-hearted stuff

Fuck off retard.

blow me, nigger

To be fair, there is some filler, like shitty villains that nobody gives a fuck about like that dude that took over kami sama's crib that Piccolo and Krillin beat.

Other's, like Goku learns to drive are also filler, but top tier episodes on their own. Remember that the original DB had plenty of comedy and just goofing around moments.

Wow I sure give a flying fuck about Garlin Jnr, son of a character that at the time, I'd never seen before.

That was one pertinent moment!

it's part and parcel, needing to get through it smacks of modern adhd kids watching their minecraft videos at 2x speed while they scream at the screen

>There's no filler in DBZ
wtf

1- Read the manga
2- Watch the original japanese TV version without shitty english dub
nyaa.si/view/932632

Half of the anime was filler, and the pacing was slow as fuck. Kai is way better, just like how the Mike Judge collection is better because no music videos in the episodes

I would watch the English Dragon Box release of Z up to the departure for Namek, then switch to Kai. The Saiyan training is much too short in Kai and there are some good episodes that pad it out in Z. Most if not all Namek filler is garbage, so you want Kai for that arc to skip it. Freeza fight is also where they toned down using filler to pad the series and started using actual padding (long shots of nothing happening to fill minutes), so not having to sit through that is a plus.

If you have nostalgia for Bruce Faulconer music, switch over to the dub with his music when you hit the final arc (the point the original Kai run ends, Trunks going back to his time and fucking up the future androids), since Kai's Final Chapters really doesn't cut much filler and there was some great Faulconer music in that era.

both examples were cash grabs. One to ruin a show for the Disney generation, one because they couldn't pay the rights for the music videos

It's shit either way, and what's worse is people like things I don't like

why do niggers have to ruin everything turtle hermit? why?

This desu

Fucking this.
Everyone else in this garbage thread is wrong.

>shiteaters who don't understand why nip Goku is the best

Great test for how full of shit somebody is.

>Goku's voice is just not doable for me.
Get the fuck out of here, plebian.

Good luck buying these.

Not OP but thank you friend.

If you're gonna watch the dub, at least watch Kai. The "remastered" dub is a hodgepodge that can't even have a consistent soundtrack let alone uses voices that are from the same year.

Watch the original first in japanese so you'll get used to goku's voice in DBZ

>Goku should sound like an old woman with a ridiculous accent

But I can't find the color scans anywhere...

>What is the most definitive way to watch Dragon Ball Z?
It's not worth your time unless you are a nostalgiafag. The anime starting on the saiyan arc begin to drag on way too much so that it doesn't overtake the manga, and that's the reason behind this series's bad fame of characters grunting at each other with constipated faces for long periods of time, plus constant reaction shots from the ever present non-combatans spectating the current fight. Most of the filler is fairly bad, too. Stick to the manga and you should come out happier.

The anime before then is passable in the regard that these issues are far less pronounced, including the filler that is less in quantity and way better on average, excepting the last filler episodes after Piccolo's defeat with the wedding dress fetch quest, which can and should be completely skipped. Do not expect great animation though, even if it does have its moments in the third and especially in the second "Tenkaichi" tournament arcs.

>defending dubs
I want nu-Sup Forums to leave.

Dub Goku is just better. He shouldn't sound like a fucking grandma.

>defending dubs
I want nu-Sup Forums to leave.

Dubs are better sometimes. You can't excuse shit voice acting with "Dubs are bad LOL i'm so cool nu-Sup Forums sucks"

Yeah, faulconer isn't bad, but I generally like the original Japanese music better

You need to leave.

The anime has atrocious pacing and Toei has always been a shit.

Read the manga.

You're not watching the true version, deal with.

>The Dragon Balls were originally one big ball!
>Oops they weren't
>"B-but it's just a legend Roshi heard!
>Tenshinhan and Chaozu are con-artists
>Goku travels to the past

Fuck off retard. It's okay to admit the dub can do some things better than the sub. Goku's voice is one of them; you just have shit taste.

Original Japanese version.

The Abridged version, by TFS. First seasons kinda eh, gets gud round season 2.

>LOL
Speaking of nu-Sup Forums, hi, newfag.

Back to r/anime, manchild.

>preferring kermit the frogku to superior innocent manchild
>being this fucked

I absolutely hate Goku's jap voice and after over 100 dbs episodes I realized I will never get used to it. For the original series I'd say the remastered dub is the best you can get. I acknowledge 99% of the original dub is trash and even up to the Namek saga is still pretty bad in the remaster, but remastered android and Buu sagas are very acceptable. If the original dub cast just had the Kai Frieza then I would have loved it. I prefer Faulconer for a bunch of scenes because of nostalgia, but the Jap soundtrack is a much better fit for the series and better audio directing for when to use each track and at what volume which Faulconer failed horribly. Whatever Z release you get just make fucking sure it's original 4:3 with minimal filters.

Kai is great too, it's worth the space to have both versions. 11/10 Frieza. I preferred Z android-arc Gohan voice, but at least Cell is just as good. Consistent dub performance with no extra dialogue shoved in at awkward moments.

A time machine

It's kinda telling when only people that grew up on a shitty dub are the ones unironically defending it.

>MFW I realize the reason Raditz has the long hair was to hide his tail until the reveal

10 pesos have been added to your account

It's kinda telling that for practically every Toonami anime seen by kids at the time, the japanese version is praised as superior or at least equal to the dub when they get older. YYH, One Piece, Gundam, Rurouni Kenshin, etc. DBZ isn't included in that list because even if a lot of the jap cast is great some like Goku/Gohan are so fucking terrible they ruin everything.

I hear "Nu-Sabat" being thrown around a lot
Do people actually prefer I CAN WIN, I FEEL GREAT to a vastly improved pitch and delivery
Hell I'd even take Ocean Vegeta over the original

By watching it in Japanese, with English subtitles, after watching Dragon Ball in Japanese, with English subtitles.

Minimal censorship. Minimal awkward recasts and jarring musical shifts. VAs picked by the original author. Genre-appropriate musical score.

The manga

Even kai does not fix how shit the animation and art quality is even if the pacing is a lot better, and the manga has really great art and fight choreography.

>I don't like it when things are weird
better find a different manga/anime series

The only terrible main character recast I can think of was Frieza, and I can't even blame the VA for it because she did a great Genkai. Whoever green lit that cast should have been fired on the spot for suggesting it. For all of your other complaints you can just get a dual audio uncensored release and listen to the dub voices and japanese music.

>dub

Or just not bother with shitty botched derivative localizations in the first place

It's kinda telling when only the lowest of nu-males defend grandma Goku.

>argument

Yeah I would have gladly but there is no better alternative unless you meant the Kai dub but that wouldn't be the same. You're not seriously telling me that you watching nearly 300 episodes of a grown man that sounds like he was castrated when he was 8 right?

Go back.

I like it here. I don't know anywhere else.

Before cable internet, I sent money orders to a surly fat man who sent back fansubs on VHS. The buu saga was expensive so I sent him a couple pics of my shota penis instead

I'll never understand how you guys manage to stay absolutely fucking triggered by Goku having a high pitched voice as an adult. Like, that's somehow so bad that the laundry list of strengths that the Japanese version has ceases to exist or matter.

Explain this shit to me. Does it make you feel insecure to root for a guy who doesn't have a deep manly voice or something?

I don't understand why no one minds Naruto and Luffy being voiced by women but somehow "grandma Goku" is an abomination even though her voice is great.

It's literally "it's so different from what he sounded like in the dub I saw when I was 8".

Because Luffy and Naruto are voiced by women in the dub too, so it's less jarring for the kids.

I mean, it's different from what he sounded like in the dub I saw when I was 8 too, but I managed to move on mentally from where I was as an 8 year old a long time ago.

If you're old enough to post on Sup Forums yet still watch dubs, you're a bit special.

Most people on Sup Forums are more than a bit special

Goku's voice in the dub sounds more natural for his age and does a better job at balancing out the serious moments with his childish moments. Nip Goku sounds way too immature for my tastes. I don't blame the VA, I blame nips for having shit direction

There's nothing wrong with a woman voicing a boy if they actually sound like a boy, the problem is Nozawa sucks at it. She's supposed to be voicing a grown-ass man, but she totally fails at not sounding like a woman. Compare her to someone who actually has talent, like Rica Matsumoto.

>one of the most legendary and beloved voice actors in Japan sucks at her job
Burgers, everyone.

Yeah and the most beloved anime in the west is a shitty adaptation with a godawful dub. Lots of beloved shit is godawful, being Japanese doesn't make you immune to having shit taste.

I just fucking hate it user. I've been keeping up with Super and have gone back and watched a lot of major Z scenes with jap voices and I still hate it. I hate the fact Gohan has the same voice even more especially because she her attempt to sound more formal and reserved for him just come off as even more feminine. But there are a lot of great jap voices of course. One problem is that I only seriously tried out the jap later on so a lot of the decent voices just sound off to me or remind me of someone else, and for all of the great jap character casts the english casts are also honestly really good.

Vegeta is great but all I can think of LoGH Reinhard. Compared to Sabat who has a much rougher voice and it's hard to get used to.
Frieza is great especially when compared to original dub Frieza, but I still prefer Kai english Frieza over Nakao.
Cell is great with Wakamato of course but perfect cell's english voice was one of the highlights of the dub even before remasters. English perfect cell has to be one of my favorite castings I've ever seen. It also sounds weird when in the same scene as Vegeta because all I hear is Reuental.
No problems at all with Piccolo.
Krillin is another woman voicing a man and while it's nowhere near as bad as Goku it still sounds off.
17 sounds too monotone in japanese. That might have been part of the cyborg image but he just bores me whenever he speaks. The english 17 managed to sound calm but also more expressive.
No problem with Trunks.
Most of the new Super casts are great too, especially Beerus and Whis but the same can be said about their english casts.