Is this the most influential Sup Forums movie? Is it also, dare I say it, the best Sup Forums movie?

Is this the most influential Sup Forums movie? Is it also, dare I say it, the best Sup Forums movie?

>Is this the most influential Sup Forums movie
Impossible to answer and probably no. Akira isnt influential at all, its just a movie that proved that the Japanese can animate motion properly. Studios didnt watch Akira and suddenly were like
>yo guys lets go, lets actually animate stuff now haha

>the best Sup Forums movie
Not even remotely.

Please give examples, i know it's not the better movie, but "not remotely" it's too much in my opinion, Akira is fucking sick

>most influential
probably. a lot of newfags don't realize if it wasn't for streamline pushing stuff like Akira hard in the west, we may not even have anime fandom here. They were one of the first.
stylistically, not anymore. It influenced a lot of the late 80's early 90's anime, but anime moved away from that in the early / mid 2000's to being influenced by shit like lucky star and clannad.
>best Sup Forums movie
i don't know about 'best', but anyone who doesn't think it's in the top 10 is either retarded or a newfag

>Akira isnt influential at all

I think i need tons of movies to know if Akira is the best Sup Forums movie, but what i am sure is that Akira was the movie (alongside Mononole Hime) that properly opened the doors to anime in western media.

Dystopian cyberpunk themes were incredibly common before Akira was made. Most shows and OVA and movies were scifi based. What set the movie apart was the animation, which doesnt have an influence on the industry because its not something you can be inspired by and reproduce it in the process. If you want to claim that Akira was the movie that actually made the west be interested in anime then I'd like you to provide some proof for that statement since tehre were plenty of successful shows and movies prior to it that were licensed and shown on western TV.

In my opinion, the best Sup Forums movie is Porco Rosso

I'd say Nausicaa was more influential. It was for films and OVAs what Eva was later to TV. It basically jumpstarted the inflow of more experimental and adult-oriented movies and films. Thanks to it studios allowed for the creations of works like Angel's Egg, Wings of Honneamise or yes, Akira itself. It also lead to the creation of studio Ghibli.

Probably End of Eva.

Nice first half of the story

This, also Ghost in the Shell.
'plenty'
outside of bastardized shit like starblazers and robotech, there was literally nothing on TV in the early 90's. Akira started the whole edgy 'not for kids japanimation' thing, which led to more companies licensing and releasing on VHS, and sci-fi channel's saturday anime

Nausicaa didn't come out in the west in its original form until the 2000's. But if you're talking about Japan, you're right; it showed one lone guy could drive a good movie.

Akira is so quite different from what most, especially modern, anime are like.

>doesnt have an influence on the industry because its not something you can be inspired by and reproduce

What? Animators very much pay attention to other animators styles and are inspired by those with clear trends across Japanese animation history in directions it took. Akira was a very important landmark in the development of a certain style of realism.

What are some influential anime movies?

Kanashimi no Belladonna
Horus: Prince of the Sun
Hakujaden
Nausicaa
Ghost in the Shell
Wanpaku Ouji no Orochi Taiji
Gundam movie series
Akira
Spirited Away
Aim for the Ace
Those come to mind.
The best, but not that influential. The TV series really was though.

Good to see that this is a rec thread now.

I hope you'll be really sad and lonely most of your life.

Many critics claim it inspired the Matrix so there's that

The Matrix is way more closely inspired by Ghost in the Shell '95. Shot-for-shot in places.

Also, the best Sup Forums movie is Millennium Actress.

Nah. That's probably the Ashita no Joe movies.

Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve.

>Influential
Horus: Prince of the Sun or Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy

>Best
End of Evangelion

>the best Sup Forums movie?
Not even the best version of itself, so no.

I'm pretty sure the Matrix just blatantly ripped of Megazone 23 though.

>Akira finally released unflopped

So happy.

No. Its the most well known anime in the western world or one of. The most influential anime movie on Sup Forums is probably Digimon Our War Games or more likely Vampire Hunter D

Akira has very little influence on Sup Forums.

I thought it didn't come out until October

What do you mean by this

>Digimon Our War Games or more likely Vampire Hunter D
I haven't seen either of these, so no.
If we're talking about Sup Forums, it's EOE without a doubt.

it was not as good as everyone makes it out to be

>, dare I say it

that would be perfect blue.

in terms of cyberpunk, Ghost in the shell is much better

Akira is that movie you think is the GOAT until you read the source material and realize it was just a shallow cash grab with an exceptional budget and animation ahead of its time.

Most influential has to either Chihiro's Journey or Spirited Away, no contest.

Best there's a lot of choices but I would say GitS, but Akira is up there. Although my favorite is still The Wind Rises

What are some of the best anime movies out there?

>Gainax section skips everything in between Honneamise and FLCL

>Chihiro's journey
>Spirited away

Made my night user
Go look up both on an image search

I always fuck up, in my language it's not called Spirited Away so I usually get the name SA confused with Howl's Moving Castle

Nah, most influential would be probably something like My Neighbor Totoro or Princess Mononoke if anything

Best is Perfect Blue

I remember easing about how some people were inspired by Akira. Without Akira we wouldn't have Naruto for example.