Pre-2000s Anime Thread

How's that 20th century backlog coming along?

Recently got around to seeing the movie version of Ace wo Nerae! and it was surprisingly decent.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DmxkoaPW23w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I started Infinite Ryvius a few days ago.
Seen 2 episodes so far.

The style seems weird and non fitting, that graffiti style with the "cool" "rap music". But maybe it'll fit the series better in the end.

So far it's a bit interesting.

The first episode was literally nothing but characters screaming and being angry at each other, but the second episode went in a more emotionally diverse direction, so that's good.

I watched My Favorite Song after the last thread.
The subs had a bunch of mistakes but the movie was nice. Hoshi wo taberu stuck with me since then.

What's the most influential anime?

People often say Astro Boy, but I have no idea if that's correct.
So I'll just go with Evangelion.

Started watching Hurricane Polymar. He really doesn't mess around, in the first episode, he knocked a guy into a cliff face first, and then kicked him in the back of the head twice.

Anyone know who designed and animated Ranma's first OP?

I'm on episode 30 of Utena.

Pointless basically filler arc in the middle aside, this show is great.

Watching Tokimeki Tonight.
The art is ahead of it's time, the writing/direction is great, every episode feels fun and the humor is actually great and comfy.
The music is one of the best aspects!
youtube.com/watch?v=DmxkoaPW23w

I've been meaning to pick up Tokimeki Tonight for a while.

I saw GoShogun The Time Entranger a few days ago.

Ignoring the fact that it takes 30 minutes to get going and that the fight scenes are mediocre, it was surprisingly good. I did not expect it to be as psychologically driven as it was.

I'd be interested in seeing the TV series if I could find it anywhere.

If you liked Kodocha (Kodomo no Omocha) or any happy-go-lucky shoujo with silly faces and moments, and you also love the fuck out of Halloween, watch it!

depend of the genre. OP's anime is not famous but it literally put half the base of modern shoujo manga.
Saint Seiya did the same for both Shounen manga AND yaoi manga.

I've been watching it recently, it's pretty funny.

Urusei yatsura. Created tsundere

Unironically Dragon Ball Z, at least in terms of lasting impact.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll watch that next. Getting kind of excited about it after watching the ED.

Pic related is hilarious, cute, engaging, and has great girls(male). How come it feels like literally nobody has seen it?

Wingman, it's absolute shit

Nice I'll check it out

It's hard to say which had the most as various anime have had lasting effect. Lots of 70s superhero and original mecha shows being a few.

I was very disappointed by it. Heard nothing but praise and then it's so... I don't know. What even is it? Not much to me.

>Infinite Ryvius

some opinion
you'll have urge to punch every single character in this anime after 15+ episode

That's a question with no answer but possible answers would be Hakujaden, Astro Boy, Horus, Heidi, Gundam, Akira

Are there any seeded torrents for the older conan movies in BD? All the nyaa ones are dead.

I've never watched Ranma
Does it hold up to its praise or is it mostly due to nostalgia?

I'm fifteen episodes into Rose of Versailles and it's incredible. Oscar is one of my favorite female characters, it's got some compelling drama despite the goofy villains, and it's a generally brisk watch. Episodes fly by like nothing.
Good man. Keep going. Like Shiki, it's a slow burn kind of show.

This is funny since Zero made her chest fucking huge

I watched all that was subbed back in the day

Is aarin still subbing it?

Im currently watching Patlabor for the first time. I just got to episode 14. I am hoping for some more serious character arcs like Kanuka's in episodes 10, 11, and 12. Ota's romance in 13 was adorable.

>Ota's romance
Whoa, what? I dropped Patlabor at some point very early on, partially because I kept getting pissed off at how useless Ota was

>Help, help! My cat is stuck in a tree!
>OOORAAAAH I'M GONNA SHOOT IT
>No, Ota! Please don't!
>BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG CLICK CLICK CLICK
>FUCK I'M OUTTA BULLETS
>Goddammit Ota!
>SOMEBODY HELP MY LABOR FELL DOWN A WELL
>And my cat's still stuck!

Does he ever get better?

I have only been able to find up to ep17 subbed. I desperately want more because it's seriously good shit.

Also do you know if the Into the West spin-off is any good?

Quit good actually.

I watched it back in the day

It's fun but you need to have basic knowledge of Saiyuki (The Journey to the West) to understand some of the jokes and references

Depends on the genre. If you're really interested then "BS manga yawa" is the most popular famous and popular nip show focused solely on manga; a group of experts discuss one manga for an entire hour.

This is a tough one. Some of the romance tropes in it have been done to death by now, so you might find yourself disappointed with it.

Recently finished Victory Gundam and I'm not sure what to watch next. I could go watch G since that seems like a lot of fun, or get back to watching LoGH. Maybe resume CCS or begin Lodoss instead.

What fansubs are you waiting for?

I feel like this OVA would've been a lot less disappointing if The Birth and The Demon Bird hadn't existed a decade prior with superior gore, animation, directing, and storytelling

>no mention of sazae-san

Kasei Yakyoku.

The first episode got subbed and it was amazing (the rip was clearly from a VHS recording though).

I hope the rest gets translated soon. I don't see what the hold up is.

Eien no Filena
Chou Kousoku Galvion
Okubyou na Venus

D-1 Devestator, among others.

Traps are still cute, I see.

Fuck man, I hated every other bishonen/yaoi series I tried to watch, but Patalliro is just too good! I don't know whether I should be embarassed to love such girly shit.

the guyver

That ED is so damn good, bumped tokimeki right to the top of my watchlist

>Anime
Why do you exclude manga like this? Fuck you OP.

I say that it gets tiresome with times, goes nowhere.

I'm at half the TV and he doesn't change.
And fuck it, Kanuka goes beck to the USA.

>>Ota's romance
>Whoa, what?
One episode has him dating a girl because their parents set them up on one of those "arranged marriage" things.
>Does he ever get better?
Kinda. That's something I appreciated about the TV series, the characters do develop as time goes on, but realistically. No one really has some amazing revelation that transforms their personality 180 degrees, but more that they acknowledge their issues and adjust their behavior as time goes on. Specifically with Ota, they point out how he's a better shot than Noa, and while he's still hot-headed he learns to control and handle his aggression.

The humor and characters are top-notch, it's quite atmospheric, and some of the fight scenes are well animated, just be aware that there's a dip in quality towards the middle of its run.

Rus subs are completed if you are a slav

Yeah, that music doesn't fit very well. Keep at it though, the show has a slow start but it's amazing later on.

I am still watching Maison Ikkoku, one rage aneurysm at a time. I hope Yagami gets hit by a bus.

In the meantime, I watched Photon. The first half was really fun, with mile-a-minute dialogue and pacing. But the second half really dragged. Still, it had some nice animation and the girls were cute.

You mean Hokuto no Ken

Did Orphan-Subs get a fucking TL checker yet?

As someone who dropped the TV series when Kanuka left and then decided to start watching it again months later, I can tell you that Kanuka's replacement is great. And Kanuka still shows up again in some later episodes.

Watching Captain Harlock right now. It's good. I like that it's paced so slowly and they let scenes hang so you have time to think. It's a nice break from hyper active modern anime.

Lucson was pretty cool throughout tho

Gonna start Attack No.1 because of what I've seen in these threads

Have you seen the TV show? I preferred the tv show to the movie but that was mostly because the tennis match between Hiromi and Reika near the end. In the movie it is played like a regular game but in the show it goes on for almost 4 hours and it really takes a toll on the girls.

Stop Hibari-kun. I wish they would just release them, they're already done.

>filler arc
It serves plenty of purposes but four major ones are that it introduces Akio, further fleshes out the supporting cast and as their relationships with the main cast as well as creating a parallel to Utena's and Anthy's relationship.

Watched the Devilman OVAs. A lot slower and quieter than the manga but still great.

Astro Boy.

>Have you seen the TV show?
Of course, the OP image was taken from it. Wouldn't have watched the movie if not for having already liked the TV series. Not a fan of how the film included Coach's death, which I assume happens in a later season of the anime.

Evangelion.

watching kurogane communication. it sucks! but the girl is cute, that's why I'm watching it. been really into the 98-02 female character design trends lately.

just watched "strange dawn" (2000). not sure why literally nobody watched it, it was pretty good.

>the 98-02 female character design trends

Such as?

Yeah it happens in S2.

Why is his head so big?

I watched this last night, not what I expected but it was quite good anyway.

fuck

It's strange because s1 didn't allude to that at all unless I'm forgetting something.

No you're totally right, there's no indication of him being sick or anything in S1.
I don't know why Dezaki omitted that.

just this sort of plain, fairly reasonably proportioned regular looking type of girl with a certain flavor you don't really get anymore. sakura from CCS, holly from monster farm, kagome from inuyasha would be popular examples of the kind of design I'm talking about. of course it stretches both directions, but I feel like '00 is really where things were at just the right spot in character art.

Anime pre 2000 is edgy trash

Finishing up Trigun and on episode 97 of Ranma, enjoying them both, especially Ranma.

Wrong

Leave

finished macross plus and moved on to macross 7

finished watching galaxy express 999. i thought was wonderful but left me feeling very melancholy especially after seeing the flying kuro episodes. i don't think i have ever watched a show with as many deaths in it.

gonna give captain harlock a try soon

I'm sorry

What's the best show that never got subs? If my group wants to time and encode, I might translate it if it's interesting enough.

What's the name of your group?

Don't worry about that, just tell me the stuff you want subbed.

Kyojin no Hoshi pls

Outside of a select few, I'm not huge on sports anime and manga, sorry.

Then this particular Shin-chan film, pls.

I read some reviews of this and thought it could be interesting but does it get more interesting later? I think I've watched 3 or 4 episodes but don't see a reason to watch more.

>anime reviews
>3 or 4 episodes
I recommend finishing things you start.

If you didn't think episode 4 was funny I recommend you just stop now.

How about something a little more /m/?

Megumi from HappinessCharge Precure gave me the impression of a callback to this, especially her fashion sense (or lack thereof).

>anime reviews

Yeah, but I think you can read inbetween the lines of those reviews and get something out of it. Utena also won some awards so it is considered a good show.

It was funny but I think it was the first time the show had that kind of comedy in it. I thought it was a weird sidetrack to take.

Like does the story get really crazy and the beginning is just this set-up phase? Because I see that there is more to this story than I think.

>Like does the story get really crazy and the beginning is just this set-up phase?
Of course the first few episodes are going to be the set up phase, but if you think the story's going to be some crazy mindfuck plot twist festival then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. There's some good dramatic twists but I don't think it's the kind of show you think it is.

Tiger Ma-

Fuck.

And Kinnikuman.

Sorry. If you have anything more /m/, or maybe comedy, fantasy, horror or romance (none of that misunderstandings shit, though) I'll take a look.

>none of that misunderstandings shit
Did this ever happen in the 80's? All the romance shit I've watched was plagued with misunderstandings

> horror

YOKAI NINGEN BEM.