You know Sup Forums, i've been hearing people shit on the "isekai" genre for awhile now, and i just have to ask. Why...

You know Sup Forums, i've been hearing people shit on the "isekai" genre for awhile now, and i just have to ask. Why? What is the difference between a genre like isekai, and say, Slice of Lifes, shounen, or literally any other genre. Why exactly are Isekai the only genre treated with a shit ton of disrespect?
>inb4 HURR DURR over saturation!
i'm not talking LNs, i'm simply talking about anime. And it's not like Isekai were the first to blow up and began over saturating with shitty stories. The shounen and Slice of Life genres have been like that for years as well.

It's just like how it was 'doom clone' before it was FPS

It just makes me irrationally agree. I know there's no logic behind it. I just hate it.

*angry

Mostly because it's a fad. Yeah they've been around for ages, but lately we've had a glut of them. Most of which are low-effort shit.
And battle harems get plenty of scorn too.

>Mostly because it's a fad. Yeah they've been around for ages, but lately we've had a glut of them
Remember when Slice of life and harem shows used to be fads, user? You know, until they blew the fuck up and now we have a new K-On and tenchi muyo every half a season.
>And battle harems get plenty of scorn too
But not as much, because people finally realized that they were just aimed at different people and let them either rise for a season or let them die without a word.

I miss regular fantasy.

how new do u have to be to seriously think isekai is the only genre treated with a shitton of disrespect

this literally happened with harem anime post-love hina, goddess anime in early-mid 2000s, SOL post-lucky star-- the list goes on forever

Because they're bad and cynical pandering.

They're overindulgent.

Normally none

but modern day ones are adapted from webnovels and the web is not the place for quality control (see: fanfiction, fan-art, webcomics, Sup Forums, etc.)

and it shows in the Isekai as they tend to come off as someone's bad fanfiction most of the time

>and it shows in the Isekai as they tend to come off as someone's bad fanfiction most of the time
Oh no doubt about that. I do understand the problem. But it's not an Isekai problem, but rather a Web Novel problem. It just so happens most Web novels are Isekai, which i really have no idea why.

Yeah because genre like SoL and Shounen never get shit on ever right.

people perceive Isekai as merely wish fulfillment fantasy, and the people that goes for that shit are usually fanfic writers and their audience.

especially not on Sup Forums

Not as religiously or as hard as the Isekai genre do.

>people perceive Isekai as merely wish fulfillment fantasy
Oh, but a boy, who had no powers who wanted to be a hero, who later gets powers is somehow not "Wish fulfillment"?

Manime versus Moeshit is at least ten years old on Sup Forums. The war rages on even now.

Most anime, and arguably most fiction, is wish fulfillment on some level.

Lets be honest, Japan doesn't really care about western fantasy.

I mean they already have their own romantic past (Sengoku Jidai) with mythical warriors (Samurai/ninja/onmyouji/monks/etc.). So they care about Knights, swords, and sorcery as much as we care about historical Japan, and that's why there was rarely any western fantasy in anime. And when they finally DO have a western fantasy anime is based upon something that was big in Japan at the time. With 90s fantasy being based on tabletop games (like Lodoss war and Slayers) and modern day Isekai being based on Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, and MMOs.

you just described most battle shounen

That's due to lazy and unimaginative writers. Isekai eliminates the hurdle of having to expose your reader to the setting and its customs by having the MC undergo that very process. Say, for example, there's a throne succession war. If the protagonist is a part of the world already, exposing it to the reader could be done through various means, like two people discussing it, merchants complaining about their businesses having a hard time due to scarcity of resources etc.
In Isekai, the Protagonist is NOT an established part of the setting, and the author can lazily expose the reader to events, politics, culture and so on by having another character explain it directly to the protagonist. MMORPG Stat systems are used for similar reasons. It makes explaining a character's strengths and weaknesses easy and immediately understandable, as opposed to having to weave it into the narrative.

At least call it Gar

When was the last time Gar was in parlance? 2010?

no fuck them

you can have that but you can have a fish out of water story like in 12 kingdoms and in Digimon Adventure. Since the MC doesn't know shit about the world he has to put more effort than the locals to find it out making the exploration the main focus.

>this

It's low effort wish fulfillment

isekai and shonen aren't genres

likewise Isekai is popular because of western fans that wants anime to pander to them. Note how the rise of Crunchyroll brought about the popularity of SAO and that the most popular Isekai on Sup Forums (re:monster, Shield Hero, Kumo desu ga, Kenkyo, Mushoku Tensei, etc.) aren't even anime yet.

depends on your definition of genre

Isekai is, actually. It's just a Japanese word that means "Healing." Stuff like Aria or Kinmoza.

Because they're even more self masturbatory than harems and harems were already bad enough.

no that's Iyashikei

That's not the word for it. You're thinking of Iyashikei.

Yeah but that would require a good author. Most WN authors are teenagers or young men with barely any writing experience.

Oh right. Thanks anons.

yeah but that flaw would make any premise shit

people are mad it will never happen to them

Just remember that one of the words for world is sekai and it will be easier to remember which is which.

It's why most isekai are bad.

because its the easiest form of a genre one could write a plot for. I will admit there are a few good premises that make a for a decent isekai, but most are trash, your pic related. Heres the formula.

>loser X is a horrible loser in world A
>loser X is transported to world B
>loser X becomes winner X because plot reasons
>winner X never had to work all that hard for the praise he gets
>winner X always had some unfair ability he could bring over that would garner respect because its so powerful

This user gets it.

really my complaint is that the MC is so OP and the setting is so stall that the fantasy itself seems boring.

rather not be in that setting unless it corresponds to my fetishes

Like that anime Sekai Seifuku (World School Uniform)

Its the same as harem haters really. Sad, sad individuals.

I don't normally like Isekai but I am enjoying Isekai Shokudou a lot.

I hate battle harems because they're character designs hurts my eyes and when you read one of them you read them all.

>Sekai Seifuku
Seifuku in that case means conquest. I'm not sure if you're fucking with me or not but if you aren't you now will understand how there's a shit ton of homophones in Japanese and even the natives need subtitles to understand their own language at times.

Yeah, I was just kidding around a bit. Japanese scares me but one of these days I'll learn it.

most people on Sup Forums are virgin losers so i agree as well

>homophones

I feel like a lot of them suffer from the protagonist just being thrown into an RPG-world and going "Hey, you know what? This is pretty great, just like my video games."
It'd be great if they actually struggled to find a way home or questioned the world and morals of the people living in this brave new world MC has found himself in. That would be good isekai.
Instead we get "this is just like one of my japanese animes."

because this is Sup Forums and we hate anime

only newfag crossboarders from Sup Forums hate anime

we love anime but hate their fanbases

there is not a single anime that Sup Forums can agree on as being good because we are not a collective conscious and we all have diferent tastes and arguing is fun, and it comes off as us hating everything

We're just diverse and skeptical

besides most "criticisms" are purely Ad Hominem to show that we don't hate the anime we hate the person enjoying the anime (because they are shitty memesprouters and cancer).

Basically. It's the only reason i really dislike KonoSuba. Not because the anime is, far from it, it's pretty fun watch. But damn, the fucking fans are the most retarded meme spouting cancer i've ever seen. And they can't even except any form of criticism about the show because "IT'S A COMEDY!!!"

This and add the premise of otaku self insert and pandering the audience with it. It's a lazy excuse for memes and cross references most of the time.

Like said,
There is no reason for Loser X to become Winner X when inserted into a completely new world unless he starts with an OP starting item or ability; the contrary, he would be an even bigger loser in this world to start out with because he would be so unfamiliar with this world.

This is also a reason why Konosuba works in my opinion. Kazuma has been there for plenty of time and is now only starting to adapt to the rules and skills it takes to survive there. His only saving grace is that the rest of the world is as incompetent as he is.

well to be fair most criticism is about how it's shit because the MC is a NEET

like complaining about the high school setting in Nichibros

Because I can name only 6 Isekai shows which are not shit:

1. Re:Zero
2. KonoSuba
3. No Game No Life
4. Overlord(?)
5. Log Horizon
6. Outbreak Company

im kinda sick of the trash anime that's based on MMOs thats just a fucking cop out if you ask me.

he also has a trash team that's mostly if not always useless.

Like I said,
>His only saving grace is that the rest of the world is as incompetent as he is.

This includes his allies and opponents. What I also like about him is that he isn't a goody two shoes and will bully the living shit out of people.

I had the same belief until I read LMS. LMS isn't really a good series but it presented a world and game so immersive that even I wanted to be in.

>dat scene were the monsters bowed to weed's predecessor

Most of them aren't very good and they all rely on the same fucking premise.
>lol I got killed and now I'm in another world
Wow it's not like I haven't heard that over a hundred times

or you die in game you die in real life.

Take off no.6 and you have a prime example plebbit tier taste.

most series of the same genre rely on the same premise

Not to this degree.

It's not top or something. It's just NOT SHIT. I'm not saying it's great or something. It's just NOT SHIT

to the degree that MushoTen and Re:monster are exactly the same thing?

Isekai isn't even a genre. It's a plot device.
That said, most isekai do follow one of the most obnoxious and easy storytelling type.
There's a few variations, but the 'genre' is 90% dude-getting-to-live-in-a-world-with-RPG-mechanics.
You could probably make a bingo card. Actually, there's probably one already...
Yep. It exists.

Two examples in a much larger genre, I'm impressed.

Actually by holy decree we all agree Code Geass is good.

they're both exactly the same as Kumo desu ga

>gets killed
>goes into another world

checks out

and Eva

>There's a few variations, but the 'genre' is 90% girl-doing-nothing-but-drinking-tea-with-other-girls-acting-cute.
>There's a few variations, but the 'genre' is 90% guy-kicking-another-persons-ass-and-maybe-the-MC-getting-his-ass-kicked-in

But their premise is completely different despite the similar content. It's sure as hell not the same idea repeated over and over again.

Isekai isn't even a genre, like the other user said. It's a premise repeated over and over again.

Code Geass is for bumlickers

Shounen is an audience demographic, not a genre. Slice of life got bashed, but that was mainly coming from normalfags, so it didn't catch on. Harems used to be the target of the same hipsterism that's directed against isekai now. They just realized complaining about isekai is fresher than continuing to complain about harems after all this time.

The real premise in an isekai is the alternate world itself, and those vary. "Guy gets transported" is the same as "guy kicks people's asses" in that it doesn't form a complete premise and the point of the series is where and how the basic activity happens.

What makes Re:Zero "trash"?

>90% dude-getting-to-live-in-a-world-with-RPG-mechanics.
There are a lot more female MC doing otome stuff in isekai than you think

You don't seem to think very hard about much of anything.
People hate fads as they happen. When they die down, no one gives a shit because they aren't taking up a significant amount of studio resources with their garbage.
Every school life battle harem and every isekai takes up a slot that could be used by something potentially more interesting, instead of something almost guaranteed to be shit.

It's the same logic as spamming shit threads on Sup Forums. Every time you create a general, and every time you create a shit thread, you knock off one thread on Sup Forums that has the potential to be more interesting.

I agree, I love self inserting. I love mary sues. There is nothing wrong with isekai at all

>I love self inserting. I love mary sues
Yeah, that's why i love shoun- fuck, i mean Isekai.

I must be reading forty something series.
Otome-type still fall under dude-getting-to-live-in-a-world-with-RPG-mechanics.
A woman can be a 'dude,' so you know.

Isekai is the definition of trash TV. The Keeping Up with the Kardashians of anime.

Harems are just as bad which is why they're rightly ignored. Isekai is particularly pathetic though because it directly targets and takes advantage of hikikomori.

It's not that bad

it's only as bad as fanfiction

I had never heard of anyone referred to a girl by "dude" in my life
And most of the otome ones really don't even use the RPG mechanics, they have even less to do with isekai than the adventure ones.