Will we ever break the code? It's obvious that Lain hit on something big, some kind of subsubtext...

Will we ever break the code? It's obvious that Lain hit on something big, some kind of subsubtext, but I'm not sure what it is exactly.

Other urls found in this thread:

laingame.net/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It was memes.

networks have souls

i am falling

HELP ME TO BREATHE

Lain makes more and more sense as time goes on, it's almost like it was written in the distant future or something. If we wait a few more decades I'm sure we'll get it.

I really can't imagine how cryptic it must have been watching it live all the way back in 1998, only in the past decade has the technology been developed to give actual meaningful context to what was happening in the show, think smartphones, modern social media and the Internet of Things. It is really crazy that Lain was written prior to all these things ever existing, yet basically incorporated them into the show as if they were already familiar to the writers back in the 90s. SEL is either miraculously prophetic or the writers are outright geniuses, it just keeps making more and more sense and becomes more and more relevant as the years pass.

>lain was prophetic for showing that we have better computers in the future
u retarded

the global village

I didn't say that, it was prophetic for predicting exactly how we'd be using computers and technology in daily life 20 years into the future to a disturbing accuracy. It isn't about computer power it's about the usage, and SEL had examples of literal smartphones, mass social media networks and IOT before any of these things were imagined in the 90s, this was written in a time when cellular phones that could fit in your pocket were cutting edge and IRC was the peak of social media communication. Our lives now revolve around things that didn't exist when the show was written, yet the show was written as if they already did, as if it were actually a show for a future audience.

where are your quints?

Lain clearly didn't wish for me to get them.

こんにちは?

Let's all love lain

It's weird how cryptic some late 90's media in regards to technology and how it would control us. Like Lain came out in '98, and pic related was in '97.

>Posts a thumbnail
You obviously don't love her enough.

Please don't call me baka, Lain

How accurate is Lain compared to okie puter?

We will not break the code--the code will break us.

Which Lain do you love most?
Least?

>fully realized lain
>pervy mean lain

Mean Lain isn't even Lain. There's only one Lain throughout the show.

>He didn't play the game and listen to the cd

What CD? I thought the game was a different continuity.

There's a cd and a game. Basically, although Lain is a goddess, she's pretty fucked in the head, that's why you see smug lain and such.

I though smug was made by the knights and Eiri, didn't she outright reject her being real at all?

>didn't she outright reject her being real at all
It's kinda like Fight Club. Read that.

I've seen Fight Club. It's avery different situation considering Lain's world.

When I compare it to Fight Club I'm talking about the MCs' mental states. Both have DPD. Besides that you're right.

To be fair, most people would be pretty hard pressed to play the game

The thing is that a human having DPD and an Aeon having DPD are qualitatively different situations. Even if we were to say she's just in her mind, there's no telling everything we see isn't her mind.

Again, I was just saying that the similarity I was speaking of was DPD. I also said that you are right, and I only used Fight Club as an example of DPD because I couldn't think of anything else.

it just seems like noise

Sorry, I'm tired and didn't see the last part of your post.

Perhaps. Perhaps it's better that it is. Aren't we all noise, really?

It's fine. I know that you weren't going out of your way to be confrontational.

Is there anything in your mind you want to discuss, user? Anons?

Besides lain and existence?

I was thinking about Lain and existence, but we can discuss anything you want.

Then let's talk about lain and existence. What authors scientists or thinkers influence your beliefs on existence user?

it feels like more of a drug trip to me in that there are lots of scattered bits and pieces that all on their own have tons of meaning but if you try to put it all together into one succinct and coherent message you're gonna come out blank. a lot of it reads like him haphazardly incorporating a bunch of cool and weird theories and information. for example any Leary references for the former and i believe schumann resonance was mentioned for the latter

Personally, I think the main, overarching theme of SEL is either "I think, therefore I am" or the rejection of such a line of thinking.

Well if it's any help I was looking through my reaction folders and I found the interviews

Ludwig Wittgenstein, Friedrich Nietzsche, Sören Kierkegaard, Martin Heidegger, Martin Buber, Max Stirner, Laozi, Zhuangzi, Yang Zhu, Xunzi, UG Krishnamurti, Alan Watts, general Buddhism, Slavoj Zizek; to different degrees and in different areas. I'm pretty haphazard and nowhere near as consistently wellread as I wish I'd be.

These days (probably as a result of daily meditation) I'm beginning how time as we conceive of it is ultimately unapplicable to reality.

>I'm pretty haphazard and nowhere near as consistently wellread as I wish I'd be
Anyone who reads books regularly knows this feeling.
>I'm beginning how time as we conceive of it is ultimately unapplicable to reality
Tell me more, I'm intrigued.

It borrowed heavily from much earlier sci-fi works. There's even a little Neuromancer in Lain. Apparently people have seen now coming for like 100 years by extrapolating the ways people were retarded before onto theoretical technology to arrive at how they would be retarded today. Like in Seldon's Plan.

Interesting post but let me just drop something for you.

Fiction and real life influence each other. Some engineers, artists, programmers, etc who grew up in the 80s - 90s are influenced by media they consume. And since media with similar genres share the same tropes or whatever its called, its not hard for people who grew up in the west to see shows influenced by Eastern concepts and vice versa. It may sound like it predicted shit but in actuality its just that people with abilities to make things happen are making ficitional shit a reality and it may happen consciously or unconsciously. Hell, if I was smart enough I'd do research on prosthesis too. I liked that idea because of countless cyberpunk media I've consumed over the years. Its not far fetched to have someone who have the same interests in media as me to actually fucking do it. Now whatever show, game or novel it was that inspired him didn't predict anything but it sure influenced something.

Sounds like Flip Flappers is a better comparison.

It might not be as graphic as Junji Ito's work, but it's twice the show Key was in all categories.

It's basically a result in physics. Relative time dilation and all that.

Well, it's really just a matter of imagining what events look like outside when outside of them, seeing causality as one thing rather than causes leading into arbitrarily separated effects. Think of a ruler for example: one number follows another and so on and on. It's pretty obvious that 1 is not "more" before 2 than 2 is "more" after one; yet in our day to day lives we don't think of events like this and the past is given importance over the present and future, in a metaphysical sense, but in reality we're going at it wrong; the future is no less drawing the present into itself than the past is pushing it out of itself. So, yes you wouldn't get a tree without a seed, but you wouldn't get the seed without the tree it was going to be.

I'm not sure if that explains it well enough. In the end the universe appears as a sort of closed system.

So things like Subjective Reality or am I not following you right?

Please go on. I like reading user posts like this.

No, but that's been verified by neurologists as well. We all see a distinct colour blue, etc.

Thanks for dropping this on us friend

Thank you for appreciating it, there's a little more but I don't think they're in order.

These events happen in pairs, radiating forward and backward from Nov 2011 when the CERN's first FTL event was recorded. The next Lain will be in 2030 sometime. We can only guess at how it will summarize history rather than the future.

laingame.net/index.html

Well, one thing that happens after seeing things this way is that potentiality, in the Aritotelian definition that opposes it to actuality, simply goes. There's no potentials if you have no essences or truly static substances; which is the case from the Buddhist PoV, in which throughly discrete things don't exist and everything is impermanent. Basically the whole universe is the essence (or God if you would), and its elements are neither vital nor disposable.

Now you'd think this might be simply hippy talk, but things as serious as our penal systems are based on potentialy to reform. Not only that, but they are also based on humans conceived as discreet units, as souls, that can be redeemed and saved, as if they're sent to some other place or are allowed to enter some other way of being by expiating. You could say it's simply capitalism trying to make good workers but it clearly doesn't work as well as it should and we'd be treating capitalism as a God of the Gap, without either addressing what it is that drives capitalism or science.

Weylamin enachera aneph alau intueb arail antopghosu. Ele alain Alain anischeral arehusche oberachon. Ane lucu entonto ediensz ane euel szi tature.

Lucund ater skelu riph se anische apandate. Ephelure atanI baszk sosche, aschon bire abszensov piredeis, aksep alais.

Iter chohm riph itacleral anabsze de dinital taims. Hepateral matsz de sammel, abszund ober edienpleis totapiinal achter san enan anischeral.

Ane donu szartien abatu bhar esszutu. Sanmoros klotes.

Acuruse akseedien a schieteis. Banuty miponal.

>throughly discrete things don't exist and everything is impermanent
This has only been verified for ordinary matter as it approaches absolute zero.

>You could say it's simply capitalism trying to make good workers
I disagree. When a prisoner gets out of jail, I personally believe that if they were in there for 2 or more years they may as well just go back in, as they often do. Granted, you have your exceptions like Joe Gurerro of AfterPrisonShow, who I find a genuinely interesting case, but other than that the free society refuses to give even one stepping stone to ex-cons. With that being said, I don't know what we should do with ex-cons, in all honesty.

Sell them as slaves to a neighboring country. Do your slave contract, and you're free with new citizenship in a new place. Don't, and be subject to their laws.

I feel weird for needing stuff like this. Like the message shouldn't be directly said, but communicated through the thing, but I'm too stupid to pick up on symbolism and junk. I feel like I should have had a better grip on things when I was watching something like Eva. I was way lost on the real ass shit near the end.

It's a bummer because I like this message and interpretation stuff but I'm too dumb for it.

How would you make the prisoners obedient? Keep in mind, the reason one becomes a convict is because they rejected societal customs and regulations.

Force them to dance every day.

The message is that there is no message. Just like real life. Just enjoy experiencing things and love Lain. I'm going to dump my stuff now.

Pass the mushrooms.

Hmm, wouldn't all matter approach absolute zero after the heat death of the universe?

Yes, it's a throughly bad situation if you want to be humanitarian.

Yeah, but then you might have people abusing that law and making most everyone a slave.

You don't have to do everything by yourself y'know? Some things require initiation. Plus, it's not all about you, the authors are running a risk by using dense symbolism and not being clear enough.

Your fine user. There may be some anons who would judge people like you who need assistance, but if it helps you at all I won't. Also, I think discussion of 2deep4u stuff is a good thing and a lot of fun.

Hey. Why don't you stop... dressing me up like a mailman... a-and making me dance for you... while you go and... smoke crack in your bedroom... and have sex with... some guy... I don't even know. On my dad's bed.

Oh shit, i understood now why they made mistake in word "siberia". It like "cyber", haha

Yeah. Universal employment. Why not? Beats paying some asshole companies to traumatize already messed up black people. People might even sell themselves into slavery and invest the money for when their time is up instead of committing certain desperate crimes. Especially if there were commercials for it.

I am the worst picture uploader

last one, I'll probably draw more soon

>She wants to sneak into nightclubs with her underage friends, but her parents would rather see her surfing the world wide web and meeting strangers on the other side of the world. Which, asks Lain, is more dangerous...?
I don't know if I should laugh or be scared.

Hey, at least when you're a slave, more specifically an american one, you have a roof over your head and food to eat. The same isn't always said of free men.

a dog cannot understand the choices of a wolf

Are you a better person for having Anonymous in your head? You can't get it out, you know.

Wolves are almost extinct, and all miserable.

And if you send the dog out into the wilderness they are bound to either return, starve, or be killed. Some things aren't meant to be.

as I said, hedonist

It's a good question. I can't say. On the one hand, the internet filled me with neuroses, made me a chronic masturbator, and kept me away from normal social interaction; on the other, it gave me a solution to those problems and more, gave me free reign and practically infinite knowledge resources, and kept me away from normal social interaction.

Do I want to get it out? I mean, I would want a cold out, but I wouldn't want to stop knowing how to speak English.

>I wouldn't want to stop knowing how to speak English
What's your first language user? And regarding your image, would you recommend the economist as a news magazine?

That smiling one in the top right warms my heart

>news
>magazine

>What's your first language user?
Spanish.

>And regarding your image, would you recommend the economist as a news magazine?
I haven't read it myself.

Gomen gomen, as you can see I don't really keep up with that sort of stuff normally, I've just been meaning to.

Spain, Mexico, or a country that I probably never heard of before?

Argentina. It sucks right now but it might be getting better.

systemspace.link

Weird, I quoted somebody who hadn't even posted when I was writing that.