ITT: shows that should have been popular/sold well but didn't

And explain where things went wrong.

Starting with a prime example.

shit first girl with shit grating seiyuu pushed by shitty director
best girls not given routes at all
being a general downgrade and cheap low effort amagami clone in general without using what made it good
we could have gotten a proper omnibus anime but got stuck with this shit

The first arc ruined it.

Tsuneki is a shit.
The study-camp plot was boring.
They didn't even get together.

I got more enjoyment seeing the pre-orders collapse.

It wasn't a game.

Would it have sold better if the first arc was better?

Tsuneki a shit.
Dialogue throughout the show was unbearably awkward. Whereas Amagami was awkward but cute, Seiren was awkward and creepy
Shouichi was a contrived self-insert.

Given how we were saved from an arc depicting that unlikeable cunt Sanjou Ruise, it was for the best.

why would i stick around a show with a beta mc that becomes a bartender or some shit, to chase after a girl that fucking leaves? dropped immediately

Tsuneki was fucking awesome. MC is the one who ruined her route by being a spineless beta.

I love Tsuneki!

It was supposed to save anime.

Disappointment of the Year?

I completely forgot this existed. I've heard the name and was here when it aired but it got completely wiped from my mind.

I completely forgot about that pile of shit.

No, it actually delivered a shit show like expected.

>60% fan service
>40% action

How did it fail?

Fujo times

I didn't watch it, but from the webms it didn't look very erotic (compared to ecchi anime), more like a comedy.

It was a solid sports story in a silly, lewd wrapper. The lewdness wasn't overtly erotic enough for the ecchi crowd and the sport crowd couldn't take the premise seriously, even though the story does without abandoning the comedic aspect. It rally is too bad, because it actually worked well on both levels.

This one. I was under the impression that the Nips would like it due to lolis and bands, but for some reason it's not doing well there so far.

It certainly would have had a better chance of selling. A good first arc gets people invested. More willing to cut later arcs some slack for their missteps, more willing to buy the series as they want to buy the first arc which encourages them to continue to collect the series. It also helps keep them watching.

A bad first arc gets none of that. People drop the series and don't see better later arcs. Later arcs are given heavier scrutiny, and their missteps not forgiven. They don't want to buy the crappy first part, which discourages them from buying the later parts.

Aired the same season as TTGL and Geass R2

>Manhua is alright, basically a gender swapped Full Metal Panic with bug girl power armor
>Pretty decent Japanese dub

>10 minute episodes
>Monthly
>mediocre to terrible animation

It will clearly be a while before literal chinese cartoons are worth a damn

this was pegged to be the next amagami by Sup Forums for months, literally never heard about it since it aired

what the FUCK happened

The first route had an absolute dogshit ending, and the rest was generic bland garbage

>I completely forgot

Can´t blame you, the ONLY good scene is when Phryne swims naked.

Keijo is a weird situtation.

The show flopped in Japan, but got pretty popular in the west (as crunchyroll´s stats show), and yet there is little to no fanart.

I think it flopped in japan because most people got interest in it because they expected it to be a super erotic show To Love-Ru style, but the show went for a different route.

They should have at least add nipples in the BD.

Should have just been disconnected and mostly plotless.
Monster of the week
Harry potter and ghibli inspired world building and visuals respectively
Lots of comedy bits
Lots of slice of life
Lots of different girls with their own quirks and stories and backgrounds
Give the lead heroine that side romance thing because it's ultimately supposed to be a show for little girls and disney romance crap is big.
No deep dark over arching plot, no yuri peddling because it's supposed to be a show for little girls not creepy older women.

People might have forgiven the low budget, bad pace, cringey fanservice and beta MC, but the first arc had the worst ending an anime marketed as feel good romance could have possibly conceived of next to having actual NTR.
The next arcs did not even begin to make up for how disastrous Slutneki's arc was received. It didn't help that Sup Forumsidya waifu's arc was boring as shit. Childhood friend's arc was actually okay.
Everyone hated it, east and west. Only sad corporate thread nannies and faggot contrarians were defending it. Even Reddit hated it.

Honestly the ending of the first arc triggered me so bad, Slutneki was my favorite girl in the beginning and I hated the show with a passion because of what they've done to her/her arc. Watching the sales collapse was the only good thing about that shit show.

You weren't the only one. I was literally angry for weeks, and I usually just let things go and cool off pretty quickly. It's legit hard to get under my skin, but boy did this one get me good.
I don't think I've ever seen Sup Forums so disappointed and triggered since the ending of P&S.
The fact that nobody posts about it, even in the Amagami threads, is very telling of how hard this anime fell from grace.
It's probably going to end up an Unanime like Tsukihime.

its the beta mc.

theres consequences for shit like this right? they didn't brush this under the rug for some faggot nip to save face right? some dumbass literally costing people money with shit decisions.

People should be blackballed over these dumb decisions.

same for kuma miko. poor author got fucked by some movie writer fags swerve bait. (whiche he later took off his own resume the gook)

Are we ever gonna see routes for the last three girls? They chose the most generic ones to air first which is a shame

It should have been Kyoani's next BIG thing such as Haruhi. I have no idea what went wrong.

slutneki killed all interest and sales.

i hope the whole team associated with that mess is blackballed.

I'm positive some heads rolled and no one's going to adapt the director's work again. Which is too bad because some of his charm did shine through at certain points.
Really, he should have made Seiren a VN first. Judging from Seiren and from what I've heard about the Amagami VN and the rest of his work, it's pretty clear at this point that his work has little polish and always requires doctoring to be presentable. At the very least, having a VN first would have convinced the execs to fork over a bigger budget.

All but officially confimed dead at this point, and you have to fail really fucking hard to not get a 2nd season these days.

I don't watch Kyoani, what did go wrong with that anyways?

I really hope so, everyone that had the power to change that shitty ending but decided to do nothing should get fired and blacklisted.

Honestly the one person that shouldn't have gotten away was that Ayano, that fucking idol bicchi.

*Ayaneru

At least it should have been as big as Gosick. The timing of the airing was horrid.

Forget that; what happened to Photo Kano?

fondly remembered no slutneki scandal.

What was wrong with photo kano? Except it was not that good as amagami, it was ok at least.

It was shit, but it was still a made-by-committee show that was pre-planned to generate at least 6k sales. I'm glad it backfired.

It's not so much that things went wrong, but nothing really went right, either.
It's a mediocre show, not good but not that bad either, that's kinda pretty to look at.
It's just nothing to write home about.

How were the sales before the collapse? Was it doing better than Fuuka, at least?

Gosick flopped too, though.

>made-by-committee show
Explain?

>pegged to be the next amagami
Nah, from the PV alone you could tell that the artstyle and animation were going to be trash. People got roped in by the few illustrations and hint of a VN. Even the music was forgettable.

It was a fucking shame too. I really wanted to see Rui's arc and feel bad for her newbie VA after all that shilling.

>Explain?
It had no semblance of creativity in it. It was made to hit all the right notes without trying anything different. The plot had the same structure as a Marvel film.

>Monster of the week
Shit
>Harry potter and ghibli inspired world building and visuals respectively
Trigger has neither the budget nor the creativity to pull that off. That + shit writer.
>Lots of comedy bits
>Lots of slice of life
Would be nice.
>Lots of different girls with their own quirks and stories and backgrounds
The 3 teams and Chariot are enough. What you actually need is more screen time for them.
>Give the lead heroine that side romance thing because it's ultimately supposed to be a show for little girls and disney romance crap is big.
You're pretty delusional if you think this will rake in any sale or popularity. And it's not like we need anymore Akko or Akko's love interest sucking up any more screen time from the other girls.
>No deep dark over arching plot,
Could or could not work
>no yuri peddling because it's supposed to be a show for little girls not creepy older women.
New fag detected.

Kemono friend aired in the same season and try to pan to the exact same demographic as LWA, but the former succeeded and LWA didn't because honestly Akko sucks. She was hated by quite a number Nips thought out the 1st cour. The overall perception of her got better in the 2nd cour, but by that time it's already too late. And since LWA is basically the Akko show featuring Chariot, having a hated MC does little to make it popular.

>tfw the Ruise Cruise will never leave port

Excuse me, I'm retarded. I meant "Ruise"

Trigger should have just made a new OVA/movie. TV series was a mistake.

Yoshinari was also damn inexperienced in directing. The series was all over the place.

>her newbie VA
How new was she? Did she get any roles after?

Do you have pictures of her? I mean the ones where she is handing out flyers while cosplaying.

Ecchifags only know how to pirate.

The only decent arc was Kyouko's one. But Kyouko was also worst girl.

So what happened to Ruise's VA anyway?

It was her very first role, and she's had no roles since.

How was she discovered then? And isn't she in Centaur? Her agency profile seems to mention that.

So the show's newbie VAs: have they been in anything since?

>Amagami sequel is a failure
>Photokano is a failure
>RecoLove is a failure

At this point I just feel bad for Enterbrain. They were just lucky to catch lightning in a bottle with Kimikiss and Amagami.

>Amagami sequel is a failure
Was it?

First impressions are everything. We just got an impression that was the polar opposite to expect from something like this. What the fuck were the writers thinking.

Hentai character

Sad because it's probably one of the best anime ever made.

>How did it fail?
It failed in nipland but made a killing in the West.

>It failed in nipland but made a killing in the West.
Other examples?

Highschool of the Dead is the only other one I can think of.

Didn't HOTD sell well in Japan?

Escaflowne, I believe the movie was made because of how popular it got in the USA.

Trigun and Big O are the only other ones I can think of. It's easier to find things that are not popular in the world and are in Japan.

I would also hazard to say that anime/manga like Naruto/Bleach are waayy bigger and better sellers in the west than one piece while comparatively One Piece wrecks their shit weekly in japan.

Anyone mind telling me what exactly was so shit about the route?

Meant to say arc.

Rook here

One episode per girl was a mistake.

I watch it and you got it right it is surprisingly not erotic at all.

4 episodes of teasing and nothing leading up to and ending with a horrible resolution. That's when most people stopped giving a shit.

Otaku already bought Amagami and that was a long time ago. Trying to exactly copy former outdated hit is stupid.

If they made Seiren a year after Amagami SS+ plus would it work?

The show would have been received much better if they had gone with a conventional ending to Tsuneki's route. People had the highest expectations since she was the cover girl and voiced by the most high profile seiyuu and got massively disappointed.

My nigga. Kyoko's route was surprisingly enjoyable.

It was Tsuneki's decision to leave for Spain and refuse to talk to him.

If anything, the writers are at fault though. They are the ones responsible for how the characters act after all.

Tsuneki was the only decent girl and route.All the other bitches were completely mediocre and bland. So shit that Tsuneki had to carry the other routes.

>They were just lucky to catch lightning in a bottle with Kimikiss
The Kimikiss anime was a disastrous piece of shit though, even worse than Seiren.

Kyouko was cute. Fuck you.

>Give the lead heroine that side romance thing because it's ultimately supposed to be a show for little girls and disney romance crap is big.
It's for little kids in general so just have it be fantasy comedy sol w/out the romance bullshit.

Complete nonsense. Shows with alpha MCs do generally worse. People like beta MCs because they can empathise with them, alpha MCs just remind them of real life.

That's what killed it. Shoujo-ish romance does not appeal to the otaku demographic.

Yeah, and so was she. It actually felt like her and Shouichi had a connection rather than him just tagging along.

He could have offered to go with her. Put his foot down. Literally do anything except shrivel up and get NTR'd.

Nobody likes those non characters. They're entirely ignored and are glorified plot devices.

>Makoto route never ever
I'm still mad.

>He could have offered to go with her.
The author's obviously didn't want him to. It was actually very out of character for him to simply accept her decision after he was the one who invited her to the beach to confess in the first place.

>Nobody likes those non characters.
But nobody hates them either. Alpha protagonists upset people because they get jealous.

I might have been able to accept that ending, maybe, if everything up to that point was satisfying.

They don't have to be Chad Thundercocks. They can be like pic related. There is literally nothing wrong with having a personality.

>if everything up to that point was satisfying.
The route was otherwise perfectly fine. They completely ruined it in the final minutes.

>They can be like pic related.
Who is not alpha but just a different kind of beta. A pervert, like Issei from DxD.

Can someone explain what was the intent of the series? Like, all the preview stuff I read said that it would be about an MC and his life intersecting the paths of the various girls. It never said anything about romance and I assumed that all the events for their different "routes" would be happening simultaneously and he wouldn't necessarily end up with one of them.

What made people so mad about Tsuneki being a girl the MC loved and lost?

>Shit
Why not go full magical girl and allow for interesting self contained stories?

>Trigger has neither the budget nor the creativity to pull that off. That + shit writer.
It's just a matter of getting the correct artists and having the correct directing and pacing.

>Would be nice.
It would be needed. The show isn't like magical girls in that it would NEED to be set around fighting different monsters. It could have been about them solving problems fixing things doing this and that and solving some big mystery that may or may not have to do with fighting a wizard or something.

>The 3 teams and Chariot are enough. What you actually need is more screen time for them.
No. A stable of characters is good, but bringing in new unique witches allows for self insertion and the creation of donutsteel characters. REALLY important to get that certain subgroup of people.

>You're pretty delusional if you think this will rake in any sale or popularity. And it's not like we need anymore Akko or Akko's love interest sucking up any more screen time from the other girls.
The other girls were ignored in both seasons in favor of pushing one lead.
Akko being the heroine but being mostly sidelined by the story itself and the other girls would work better.
I mean shit, sailor moon is the lead heroine and she was the most hated character. Same for kagome from sailor moon.

Besides, there are plenty of shows that do well outside of japan that japan doesn't like. Without the westerners LWA wouldn't have gained the attention of the netflix crowd.

>Could or could not work
Will never work. Dark doesn't mean good. A well written mystery which has people talking would have done better.

>>no yuri peddling because it's supposed to be a show for little girls not creepy older women.
>New fag detected.
user...

the mc was shit too

>t's for little kids in general so just have it be fantasy comedy sol w/out the romance bullshit.
Having a male side character that the lead heroine or one of the other little witches has a crush on = money with the target demo.
Card Captor, Sailor Moon and every Precure had that. I mean, why say the het romance thing is bad but then turn around and hardcore push the yuri?

>That's what killed it. Shoujo-ish romance does not appeal to the otaku demographic.
The otaku didn't want it in the first place stupid.
To hell with them.
They had all they needed to be one of those sleeper hits for the little girl crowd and western little girls. Trying to appeal to the degenerate loser demo that, and let me remind you, NEVER WANTED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE is fucking retarded.

>The route was otherwise perfectly fine.
C'mon brah. It was such a dragging piece of shit with weak romantic development. Compare the pace of Tsuneki's arc with the pace of an Amagami arc. Junichi was already taking the girl out on a date or at least made some serious headway with her by the 3rd episode. I already knew by start of the 3rd episode that any development was going to be rushed or not happen at all.
Also don't forget about the bizarre fanservice that legit made me cringe and I've seen some dumb shit. Toilet sniffing scene anyone?

It's an omnibus format. The idea is that an omnibus anime resets every time the MC gets with girl. So it would go as:
>Boy meets girl A
>Boy impresses girl A
>Boy goes out with girl A
>Boy get NT-I mean boy wins girl A
>Time reset
>Boy meets Girl B
It's basically like how you play an VN, but in anime form. It's wonderful because every girl gets their time in the light and that's what people loved about Amagami.

Correct. I'm not bothered by how big of a loser and/or pervert they are. What has consistently bothered me is the lack of personality. Even in Evangelion, Shinji didn't bother me at all despite being a 'beta', because I understood Eva as a tragedy and he struck me as a character, a relateable personality.