Ancien and the Magic Tablet showings tonight

UK senpai check in, just got out the theater

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W5W9eHDxBDc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How was it, user-kun?

I missed the first five/ten minutes because the cinema kiosk queues were so long (for other movies, not this one) so I hardly got off to a smooth start - but I enjoyed it, the regular changes between the real world and the alternate parallel reality in her dreams kept things exciting. I'll probably have to watch it again when the BD drops.

Portsmouth checking in

Really good, definitely caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting a great deal. It was told well and had good pacing, and really nice visuals - also the dream/reality tandem dynamic is something that I've wanted done well for ages.

Also dat soundtrack

What was the turnout like for you? I wasn't expecting much since when I initially booked my ticket I was the only seat in the entire screen but when I turned up I saw a good 30-35 people there. Nice surprise.

So Kenji Kamiyama made a successful family film?

Woah, looking forward to it.

Yeah I got like 60 people at mine, it was neat. Triple what was booked on Vue's site. I only just now realised that it got way more normie marketing than I was aware of, like there was an ad on the London Underground just like Kimi no Na wa had.

Hah, in my post I was just about to say it hadn't been marketed nearly as much as Kimi no Na wa - which is why the attendance surprised me, but I guess it's had a more noticeable push than I thought.

Seems like they've been throwing a fair amount of money at it.

Enjoyed it despite knowing nothing about it going in.
Flowed pretty well though I couldn't describe the plot afterwards.

York here lads. I enjoyed it. What was the Colossus supposed to be?

Did anyone think the translation was a little off?

A couple times, yeah. They like to take liberties with the subs on occasion.

Was it like really good or just good? My nearest showing is in fucking London and I don't want to spend £20 on a train ticket to go and see a mediocre film alone.

Wasn't it just for tonight?

There's a shitload of showings at Odeon Panton Street, they also had literally hundreds of Your Name screenings there. Problem is the cinema is really tiny and it's next to Soho so it's full of chingchongs.

No showing in Norwich, huh? That surprises me.

Ah. Anime Limited were saying it was only for today. Guess London works a bit different then ;-;

There might've been (they showed In This Corner at CinemaCity so it might've been there) but the website only shows future screenings and I literally only learned about this film today so it was too late.

>York
For some reason the idea of another user in the audience didn't occur to me.

I assumed the colossus was the embodiment of "looking backwards". My first impression was that it was going to be like fossil fuels but based on the argument between the mum and the grandpa, as well as how it impeded the progress of the robot, made me change my opinion.

I was sat on the back row. The progress thing fits in well.

So how did Kokone's mam die? Self driving car accident?

I was the faggot in the middle with the dumb hat and brightly coloured shirt.

I assumed it was to do with the bad guy sabotaging things ("He uploaded a curse!!") but one way or another yeah there was a car crash with her in it. Why she had to be in it when they could've just used a crash test dummy is kind of weird, but I guess they must have been really far into testing.

How much did it cost you guys? It's £10-13.50 here. I keep ignoring screenings because of how high they want to charge for my shitty local screen that's already a £6 bus fare away.

Guardian weekend had some adverts too that said 16th was preview screenings only, with a wider release on the 18th. No idea what they meant by that since the site just showed screenings from 16th onwards.

Ignore that wider release shit, seems to me like that might as well end with "If you live in London" or somewhere like that. It was about £13 for me I think.

I'm beginning to get tired of the way the distributors handle these limited releases though. I just want to know whether that new Yuasa thing is going to be on near me or not, knowing when it is on won't help me much if they won't tell me where it's showing until the last minute. The sudden expansion of showings for Shin Godzilla was a godsend but I damn near booked a ticket for a showing a half hour train journey away.

>that new Yuasa thing
Oh god. That shit.
I'm pretty sure that movie will be boring as fuck judging by its premise & its characters in the PV.

I like Yuasa though, but his new movie really is not for me.

Well there are two and both are getting showings at some point. I'm interested in both but I was a big Tatami Galaxy fan so obviously I'm more invested in the one with connections to that.

>youtube.com/watch?v=W5W9eHDxBDc
The Tatami heroine spin off one looks interesting, indeed. But the Ponyo clone movie on the other hands.

Bad

Watched it last month, the perspective change in the dream was nice and the metaphorical elements were interesting but the execution is pretty mediocre, too much bad 3DCG and too many ideas stuck together with unrelatable characters. Plus annoying mascot just for the sake of it.

>durr I don't like the trailer so it's bad

>durr I don't like the trailer so it's bad
Nah, looks too cliche. I watched too much anime to know where that shit going.

Where do you think it's going?

Same route with Ponyo, Summer days with Coo, or fucking E.T.

girl