Japanese company Sumitomo Forestry plans to build the world’s tallest wooden skyscraper

>youtube.com/watch?v=O-gdwHSiZLo

Japan plans to build the worlds tallest skyscraper made majorly out of wood by the year 2041. Doing so is part of a plan to turn Tokyo into an environmentally friendly city or forest.

Do the Japanese forget about the fire bombings in WW2? Silly japs never learn.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ubc.ca/2016/09/15/structure-of-ubcs-tall-wood-building-now-complete/
youtube.com/watch?v=GHtdnY_gnmE
gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/jenga-gif-5.gif
parlonschasse.com/2018/02/tokyo-announces-plan-to-build-350-meter-skyscraper-made/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

news.ubc.ca/2016/09/15/structure-of-ubcs-tall-wood-building-now-complete/

I already helped build it at UBC

I believe thats mentioned in the YT video. Tallest wooden structure in the world until said Japanese skyscraper becomes a reality.

It was pretty cool project check out this time lapse, big lego set.

youtube.com/watch?v=GHtdnY_gnmE

There's some other anons on there always seen Sup Forums scribbled in hallways.

Wait that's the finished building? I thought that was an image of the framework during construction. That's fucking hideous.

all buildings burn
all glass, steel, and concrete do is reflect the heat back inside and turn it into a furnace

So.

What stops someone from setting on fire?

Its open air presumably to keep currents from knocking it over? Im not sure on these things. The look will grow on you i bet if you spent some time in the actual building.

That is cool, but it's gotta still be supported by steel on the inside, right? I didn't think you could make an incredibly tall wooden structure.

We will never have anything nice in America. Because we have niggers.

Temple of the Golden Pavilion all over again. This is like an arsonists dream.

>euros will never have wood cheap enough to build this

And a building made of 90% of wood would burn even brighter to collapse.
Not sure if the wood is treated in some method to prevent flammability. Also seems to be water in that building with real greenery so its less flammable than it looks.

2041? It's just a render. Call me in 2035 and check if anyone remembers these renders.

Good, but back to /g with you

exactly. if this doesn't make you stupid fucks realize it's time to abandon the wh*te race and make some hafu babies in Japan who can enjoy peace and prosperity in an ethnostate, then nothing will

Wood products like that are going to be treated with various chemicals.
plenty of beautiful architecture in the US. Even made out of wood.

their entire country is already made of folded rice paper and balsa wood
this is just the next logical step

>Catches on fire
>Shamefur dispuray

It's not really a "wood building" but wood is used as a component and not just glass / steel. The supports are all steel. The windows are all glass.

Yeah totally environmentally friendly, you only need to cut down a few forests per building.

Mark your calendar because its happening. Japan is going to be an eco friendly, robotic, luxurious destination in 20-30 years.

This is something not many people know, but mass timber is more fire-resistant on its own than concrete and steel construction; make no mistake, it’ll still burn down, but the charring process preserves structural strength for an impressively long time and easily facilitates evacuation. Reminder that most casualties in a fire would be due to smoke inhalation or structural collapse.

Wood structures with modern fireproofing and sprinklers are certainly no more dangerous than their concrete counterparts when taken individually. I am not sure about a large scale firestorm, though.
At UBC, some of the supports absolutely are made of wood columns. Glulam, I think.

90% of the building materials are said to be wood.
Trees grow... and Japan is made up of 2/3 forestry. Its logical to replace a concrete and steel city with that especially since wood has a natural defense against earthquakes.

What could possibly go wrong

Yeah, over decades. Not much use when you remove them at a vastly faster rate than they can replenish.

crazy stat on a super populated island. sauce?
I imagine the north island really changes the balance for a higher percent

So you are saying large slabs of timber char instead of catch fire like studs and drywall which act like kindling in modern concrete and steel encased buildings?

>as Tanaka-san inhales fresh air that smells like forest in the middle of Tokyo, Xinping dies of lung cancer in one of the hospitals of Beijing
this is like a spit to chinaman's face

gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/jenga-gif-5.gif

>all that concrete
>its made of wood

lol senpai

Hello fellow carpenter

oldie but a goodie lol

*eats your building*

hey shinzo... nice treehouse... be a shame if something were to... happen... to it... heh heh ;-)

>Forests cover approximately two-thirds of Japan's land area, though the self-supply rate for domestically-produced timber is only at around 30 percent.
parlonschasse.com/2018/02/tokyo-announces-plan-to-build-350-meter-skyscraper-made/

So i suspect a gradual replacement of Tokyo instead of some mass conversion to wood.

>It's not really a "wood building" but wood is used as a component and not just glass / steel. The supports are all steel. The windows are all glass.

the windows are made of fucking glass and not seethrough wood?

FUCKING LAME

THIS STORY IS FAKE NEWS

Firebombing would decimate their city as each building would be a stick in a massive fire blaze.

The only building that won’t melt from jet fuel

The japanese do everything the chinese do but better.
>Chinese invent kung fu
>Japanese invent a sword that cut a man in half

>Chinese invent green cities by cramming them with plants
>Japanese one up them by reducing emissions and cost by making wood constructed skyscrapers.

are there seismic concerns?

being a first world nation instead of a shithole like italy or mexico

CLT - cross laminated timber, is becoming a thing .
CLT mills are being built all over.

Current record holder. Not a building but a structure but significant.

Neat.

Nope. It has a steel tube skeleton that'll make it wobble like other Japanese skyscrapers.

Amazing as the lamination prevents deterioration and burning.

>A CLT panel consists of several layers of kiln-dried lumber boards stacked in alternating directions, bonded with structural adhesives, and pressed to form a solid, straight, rectangular panel. CLT panels consist of an odd number of layers (usually, three to seven,) and may be sanded or prefinished before shipping. While at the mill, CLT panels are cut to size, including door and window openings, with state-of-the art CNC (Computer Numerical Controlled) routers, capable of making complex cuts with high precision. Finished CLT panels are exceptionally stiff, strong, and stable, handling load transfer on all sides.

Hmm when is the US military going to attack nations for their timber?

Where the fuck is the fire marshal to put an end to this?

The Japanese articles just say its a concept and they don't have actual plans yet. OP is FAKE NEWS.

you know forests grow back? not to cut down trees is like not trimming your nails. moron.

Not only do trees grow humans can plant millions of them in record time.

We do wood structures here in the US but they're strictly for entertainment purposes.

Can jet fuel melt it?

Wait...what happened to the rainforest...? Like 5 fucking minutes ago the left was telling me the earth was going to die if we didn't save the fucking trees...?

I'm so fucking confused. Every day I wake up and things are different...

Nice! I love jenga

Haha scientists were retarded back then. Well they are now too but least we get a cool eco cities.