What was the point of this?

I get that Trunks coming back to warn Goku about the Androids is necessary, but why bring Frieza back? Totally shits on the entire storyline and buildup of the Namek/Frieza saga, and on what Goku achieved.

Other urls found in this thread:

kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They had to show how strong Trunks was by killing the person who wrecked everyone until the end of the previous arc, and how threatening the Androids were that he constantly got BTFO by them.

Read: to job.

to show how stronk Trunks is in order to make the shock of the androids blowing him the fuck out so easily seem even more impressive.

To show goku he means business.

Yeah but they could have just had King Cold arrive seeking vengeance for his son and built him up as this super powerful guy, only to get killed by Trunks.

It was just a bit stupid that we waited for Goku to fight Frieza, to achieve Super Saiyan status and then for him to finally defeat Frieza...but then Frieza survived anyway.

>Totally shits on the entire storyline and buildup of the Namek/Frieza saga, and on what Goku achieved.
So what?

>what is worffing?

No one said it was a good idea. We're just explaining to you what happened.

It had more impact because Frieza was THE bad guy for a very long time.

Because Trunks deserves to look cool and that is all that really matters.

I don't think they wanted to spend time building up this new character (who I would think is implicitly weaker than his son since before he even shows up nobody ever says a thing about him and only how powerful Frieza is) when the plot was supposed to shift to the androids. Like this user said It conveys the most amount of information in the shortest amount of time to get to the plot that actually matters.

It was a great idea.
See this.

>have your primary antagonists to heroes effortlessly to show how much stronger these other antagonists are, who then lose out to heroes to show how much stronger these other antagonists are

No, user. That's the power creep talking.

That's the only time it was done well. It made Trunks very intriguing.

The appeal of Dragon Ball is infinite escalation of strength without end.

It's definitely power creep, but considering Frieza was supposed to be the final villain in DBZ it was inevitable.

I always hear x DBZ villain was supposed to be the last that I don't even know if any of it was ever true in the first place.

>Frieza was supposed to be the final villain in DBZ
That's a bullshit rumor that needs to die. Everyone needs to read this guide: kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/

It may have been where the power creep started, but what about it was bad or poorly done at the time?

The power creep started back way back in Piccolo Daimao though.

DBS is a soulless continuation for money like Fairy Odd Parents, Simpsons or Sponge bob.

because it's fucking awesome

It probably wasn't much of a good idea, but the silver lining wound up having a great benefit. Trunks not wasting any time and thoroughly killing Frieza on-screen showed him as a no-nonsense character the likes of which we hadn't seen in a long time while also guaranteeing that Frieza was actually dead, providing resolution and a sense that we could relax in that the new arc was finally beginning.