Why is this manga so good?

It was depressing as fuck to read for the first 20-30 or so chapters but it's got charm and draw to it that I've not found in other manga since I've finished reading it.
>Pick it up thanks to the art style, thinking it'll be a comedic read
>Actually end up getting wet eyes while reading it all the way through

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1vv_u00Yk6w
youtube.com/watch?v=cVU_CACdMZM&list=PLz0pArDTghygvNK_s2pYOfmmTxzZqPRwd&index=14
youtube.com/watch?v=ehVULWOUAfw&index=32&list=PLz0pArDTghygvNK_s2pYOfmmTxzZqPRwd
youtube.com/watch?v=qIl1KAfg1Yo&index=5&list=PLz0pArDTghygvNK_s2pYOfmmTxzZqPRwd
youtube.com/watch?v=UPYi5ABt9Lc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Read the other FKMT

It deals with difficult issues that aren't often explored in manga and is genuinely heartwarming at times because of Fukumoto's writing style

It's the only manga that's ever made me cry, that's how you make bittersweet endings

Akagi and Kaiji's done by the same author right? Would you recommend I start with the anime for either or just dive in with the manga? Finished Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa in just a day.

I pretty much feel the same. Might be because I've not read hundreds of manga but I've never read a story before showing just how depressing this sort of life is for adults or even older guys, couldn't help but feel the struggle Kurosawa went through every step of the way. When he triumphed though, fuck those were some amazing moments.

Read Buraiden Gai, it's a short but a fun read

If you have the time then delve into those two since both Akagi and Kaiji are massive

Kaiji's anime is really good so you should watch it. With Akagi I don't think you have a choice because the start of the manga isn't translated (maybe it is now, I remember there was missing chapters) but the anime is great too.
Besides Gai you should also read Zero. FKMT is based and is one of my favorite authors in general.

I'll read up on Gai tonight and maybe start the Kaiji anime, if FKMT's other works are like this then I think I'll be content with reading his stuff for a solid month.
Also helps I was listening to youtube.com/watch?v=1vv_u00Yk6w pretty much the entire time while reading Kurosawa.

Watch the Kaiji anime (S1 and 2). Loser struggles to get back his life, like Kurosawa, but it's more gambling focused.

Then if you want more Kaiji you can start the manga (Kaiji part 3 to 5), but part 3 is (simplified) Mahjong. You can easily get an idea of what's happening since the translation team added a little Mahjong rules sheet.

Akagi is definitely worth a watch but it's about Mahjong so you should read the rules or better, play it online for an hour or two to get an idea of the game. It's not too bad if you don't get it since Akagi himself starts the anime without knowing the rules of Mahjong.
The Akagi anime ends on a cliffhanger so if you want to finish it, you should read the Akagi manga from chapters 110+. It's a wild ride.

After reading or watching Akagi, if you have a better grasp at Mahjong you should definitely read Ten. 15 volumes of Mahjong which end on 3 volumes of philosophy and reflection like Strongest Man Kurosawa. Some say it's FKMT's magnum opus.

Fast to pick up :
Buraiden Gai is short (5 volumes), not as good as Kaiji/Akagi imo but well worth the read and exciting af.
Zero is a lighter version of Kaiji : lots of death gambling games, pretty fun, much less grim.

That's a long list. It's worth it too.

A list is pretty much just what I needed right now, thank you kind user. Never actually read anything to do with gambling or things like Mahjong but if it's anywhere written along the lines of Kurosawa I'm probably going to love it.

>Ten's considered FKMT's magnum opus
That'll be the last thing from him I read then, going out with a bang sounds fucking great. Thanks for the suggestions.

>going in blind
Nice. Enjoy the ride user.

read Gin to Kin as well, it's still not fully translated though, don't know if it's still ongoing.

Fukumoto is a real human being, he's seen the human soul and just translates it into his works.

>mfw still reading Ten and don't want to spoil myself reading these pages
>i still know what happens at the end though

Should I rush it or take my time?

Take your time, user.

Kurosawa is relate-able on so many levels.
Too bad it will never get an anime.
The only thing that bothered me was the ending. It was too ambiguous and sad for no reason. He didn't actually die right? He was just being dramatic... right?

If you count Shin Kurosawa he's just in a coma. But I like to think he "died"
symbolically to show that he had completed his life

He got fucked by the sequel, which in my headcanon doesn't exist.

What am I supposed to take away from this as a reader? That Washizu cares about his pride to extreme degrees? That you shouldn't give a fuck about things you can't change?

Something about acceptance and embracing your senseless demise with open arms rather than pitifully trying to grab on to your belongings, I guess.

If you're fucked anyways what's the point of not enjoy it?

God damn, this series.

Seems counterintuitive and pessimistic. The only thing I really got out is what I said before - don't be a pussy in face of your life ending, because you have pride. It fits with my perception of Washizu.

I should compile all these scenes one of these days.

>don't be a pussy in face of your life ending, because you have pride
That's reasonable. But it's not exactly what Akagi (and eventually Washizu) do, they go out of their way to throw everything away for the sake of freedom and detachment. Maybe Akagi more than Washizu.

Be honest. How many of you cried at the ending?

Oh no, I didn't know there was one.
What's bad about it?

I teared up. Even more when I watched these MADs on Youtube.

Kurosawa isn't dead

It really hits home.

>Even more when I watched these MADs on youtube.
Got a link? I feel like tearing up.

I did

It's not bad, in fact it's pretty funny but it's not the same and it would have been better with another character that's not Kurosawa. In a way it cheapens the end of Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa, so I like to think it's just a comedy spin-off.

If only all of us had the same blazing spirit as Kurosawa.

We all do, he just got drove to a point in which he couldn't deny it.

Kurosawa youtube.com/watch?v=cVU_CACdMZM&list=PLz0pArDTghygvNK_s2pYOfmmTxzZqPRwd&index=14

But really watch the whole playlist. Fukumoto's universes would make great spin-offs and this is exactly what this playlist provides.
youtube.com/watch?v=ehVULWOUAfw&index=32&list=PLz0pArDTghygvNK_s2pYOfmmTxzZqPRwd

Buraiden Gai opening youtube.com/watch?v=qIl1KAfg1Yo&index=5&list=PLz0pArDTghygvNK_s2pYOfmmTxzZqPRwd

>properly edited version of Baccano opening never youtube.com/watch?v=UPYi5ABt9Lc

>You'll never share a drink with the great Kurosawa
Fuck man, it's weird just how relateable he was. I've not felt this personal about characters in manga since Oyasumi Punpun.

I couldn't connect with Punpun since he didn't really try to improve. That was heavy stuff though.

This kid was great.

Ruthless at first, great bro afterwards. He taught Kurosawa something too when he said he'd go face his adversaries head on.

I made the mistake of reading Punpun when I was going through depression, never been hit so hard by a work of fiction since. Kurosawa was fantastic though, probably one of the most depressingly real yet inspirational stories I've read in years.
>When he suddenly comes back and calls Kurosawa bro
Nakane was a treasure, even disregarded his hoes to help Kurosawa.

Nakane was based

I regret the bad feeling he gave me at first.

Imho both Akagi and Washizu prioritize their "selves" over their "lives" (there would be no point for them in living if they can't be themselves), Akagi isn't the type of person to "pile up" success (like Washizu and Harada have done), because doing so would gradually take his freedom away, and he doesn't cling to things like the desire to continue living, or the desire to win. So the image should be about not letting oneself be controlled by desires in face of one's fate.

There's a lot of interesting stuff that's not 100% explained in Akagi. I like it.

>Looks
>Connections
>Wealth
>Smarts
3/4 of these can be obtained. Hell, most of the wealth isnt inherited all. Whats the point of this selfpity?

He was just not good enough to obtain them. The point is that despite him not having the skills (including talents but also willpower) or the luck to make it in the real world, he fought to the end, which still makes it worthwhile, letting him die with a smile.

I'll add that it's one of the most important themes in Kurosawa. The value is in the fight itself, not the results, and while society taught us to value victory, defeat should be honored just as much.

fucking ootsuki spin-off
who would have thought

The realization of the homeless hit me really hard man. The entirety of the last volume did.