Studying Philosophy

Is studying Philosophy an act of degeneracy nowadays?

Science is philosophy with a feedback loop.
Philosophy is open ended... nothing to stop the stupid.

Yes, Study engineering, chemistry, physics or mathematics

Stick to goyim philosophy

Why? To become an ignorant wage slave?

>Is studying Philosophy an act of degeneracy nowadays?
only if it causes you disagree with us.

explain, dear american user

It’s not degeneracy; but the cliche of navel-gazing DEFINITELY applies.
It’s one thing to be 50 and read some Plato by your fireplace with a pipe; it’s another to be some 20-something in your mom’s basement thinking you might actually BECOME “a philosopher” if you just read enough.
t. BA in philosophy

>STEM-Shilling

Not if you choose the right courses. I majored in philosophy, and then enrolled in law school. I still read philosophy regularly. I took a lot of great course at my university, including, but certainly not limited to, the Philosophy of Plato, Philosophy of Aristotle, Philosophy of Language (focus on Frege, who is among the most important philosophers), and Modern Philosophy (Descartes, Locke, Hume, Spinoza, etc.). I was a part of a classics club, and I made it my obligation to collect and read the Western classics.

>us
explain, dear user

>50
>plato
should have read that shit when you were like 8 lmao

Science and philosophy often overlap. In many cases, though, they're exclusive -- as in the case of morality. The scientific method is, in fact, limited. You cannot apply the scientific method to all things.

How many BAs in philosophy actually have the hybris to think of themselves as future philosophers?

Way to miss the point, kike.
>hurrrr I read Plato when I was in the whom lul
Kys

Womb*

But what about Foucault and Butler?

how did you handle the "western classics" (e.g. Frege) without reading them in their native language ?

How did you do in law school with your "philosophical background"? (went a very similar way)

>t. brainlet who slightly understands the tripartite soul and who thinks plato is an easy, light read

Most of them. What else the fuck do they think they’re gonna do with that dogshit degree?

Any H.L.A Hart or Ronald Dworkin coming your way in Law school?
I wonder whether americans actually just rehearse recitating statutes or actually think about the concept of law.

in burgerland maybe

ah, the country without any important (or at least useful) contribution to the history of ideas

Austrian School, No. Frankfurt school of Marxism, yes.

But muh founding fathers!

You two are made for each other now kiss. With tongue.

Frankly, I read neither.

You simply read them in English. I can't read Plato in ancient Greek either.

I frankly didn't do too well in law school, but my career is quite fine. I'm just beginning, but hard work always prevails.

classical ameriburger education.

either A or B

either republicans or democrats

either Trump or Hillary

either this school of philosophy or another

Very little, if any. I took a jurisprudence course, which is philosophy of law. But in American law school, you're focused primarily on the practical application of the law, not philosophizing thereof. You read cases. You extract the relevant rules and precedent. You apply in an exam. Then you cry. Nothing too philosophical, with exception to a few higher court, i.e. Supreme Court, federal appeals court, opinions.

Philosophy began as bastardized science in 600ish BC, and the most difficult questions one may ask in the discipline are just cross-eyed autistic drivel. You can't transpose human reason over non human entities like meaning. Pure phallicry.

almost missed the quads

what has this board come to

Forget everything you know about philosophy. Theory is just interpretation of reality. Instead, study reality itself. Be open and observe. The stream your senses and mind feed to your awareness carries with it a lot of insight that will be revealed to you whenever you simply stop and listen.

>began as bastardized science in 600ish BC
it began as something standing "über" the sciences, leading to found said disciplines.
Metaphysics for example (and nowadays "philosophy of science" will always be one step higher than sciences themselves)

So, basically the most philosophical it gets, when you are to extract the moral principles that the supreme court judges identified in Riggs vs. Palmer? What Kind of "education" is this?

Do you at least consider the different modes of Interpretation judges like Scalia or Gorsuch used? (for example the originalist way)

>Theory is just interpretation of reality
kinda agreed
>study reality itself.
and this is the moment where thousands of philosophical questions arise

Shut up dick. In that context USA was late as fuck to the party, is all. I’d also offer Dewey, James (both of them) and Rorty. Suck it.

Eat, drink, and be merry faggot.

So how do you study reality without interpreting? even the naturalism you hint at is just a way of interpreting your observations. There's a reason why you "Analyse" as well as "Interpret" data.
Also what is the Status of theoretical entities? Are Quarks and if yes, how do we determine their existence and their essence?

Oh, yes, the insights of instrumentalism and pragmatism, how could we ever do without them...

Aristotelean spotted

>imagine being a swiss student of philosophy
>imagine reading plato and aristotele in greek
>imagine reading seneca, cicero etc. in latin
>imagine reading Kant, Leibniz, Hegel, Schelling, Nietzsche, Jaspers, etc. in german
>imagine reading all the anglo-american fools in english
>imagine said fathers in german: Wittgenstein, Frege, Carnap, etc.

sucks to have american education, doesn't it?

naturalistic fallacy much?

Well, at least they got the world to cater to their linguistical abilities. We went from the eloquence of Socrates and Kant to the simple chit-chat of the common Englishman

Most philosophy majors go on to grad school. They usually go into law, medicine, or computer science. They actually have the highest acceptance rate into law and medicine programs. Undergrad is meant to build a foundation, grad school is when things get technical. If you're using your undergrad only to cultivate job skills, then you're going to wind up a fucking idiot.

as per Plato and Socrates, all you need to study philosophy is some men hanging around discussing stuff in good faith, ie. actually concerned with understanding reality, rather than winning arguments or posturing.

Surely makes sense for law. At least you learn to reason beforehand since they apparently don't teach you that in law School...
Logics lead to Computer science, but what the heck is medicine doing in there?

>If you're using your undergrad only to cultivate Job skills, then you're going to wind up a fucking idiot

So... Basically you are ripping off all those Chinese and Indian Exchange students then?

dude, it's really important to analyse every term in a never-ending crush towards sciences
>the never ending anglo-american

>face
>Triggered

Short answer: Philosophy != philosophy

philosopy vs. sophism?

Do you even find a space for discussions in good faith on Canadian campuses anymore? If yes, is a precondition of that the use of the right pronoun for the demi-debile there?

>So how do you study reality without interpreting?
Through the practice of meditation.

>Also what is the Status of theoretical entities? Are Quarks and if yes, how do we determine their existence and their essence?

Depends entirely on what you are seeking to achieve. Utility of existential interpretations is malleable.

>and this is the moment where thousands of philosophical questions arise

So try shutting up for a moment instead and see what happens. On the correct path, you will find questions to answers you were not aware you already knew. On your current path, the best you will find is nearly adequate answers to wrongly worded questions asked through a fundamentally imperfect rational process.

Sophism if you are a ancient Roman Politician

classical amerimutt butthurt shitposting strategy:
just call everyone triggered

Why the fuck would you go to university to study philosophy? Read a book, nigger.
Get an actual degree in something useful or get a trade accreditation.

Medicine likes well rounded candidates. A philosophy major who has also completed the requisite coursework for a medical program is a stronger candidate than the bio or physics major who has been living in an autistic stem bubble, all else being equal.

If you go to school to train yourself like a monkey, you'll end up as a trained monkey.

Philosophy is a Greek "invention".

Therefore it is, by default, the opposite of degeneracy.

However anything can be tainted

>Get an actual degree in something useful
define "useful"
aaaaaaand you're already drooling in the topic of philosophy

I double majored in history & philosophy at a UC

nothin' degenerate about it, buckaroo. Good practice for law school and fun major, but ya have to go to law school or grad school to make it worth it, or else you'll end up broke and without a real career - and that's what causes real degeneracy.

Do you mean that by simply studying philosophy you are not moving towards fulfilling the actual purpose of philosophy as a concept, which is to explain the unexplainable? If so, I agree.

Feeling comfy behind that oven, René?

Remember this: Cicero was passionate about philosophy and a decent enough of a man and a good politician besides being a radical centrist at heart. Despite this, Cicero was reguarly insulted and accused of "being a greek" Because philosphy was a Greek thing, Romans that did philosophy were called "Greeks" Romans liked to study architecture, mechanics, sophistry, and rhetoric and buisiness. Every nation has it's taletns and quirks. If you feel like you need to compare yourself to Americans all the time, maybe you should reconsider and instead act like your country is the standard

I kind of agree with this. What I was gonna say is that you should only major in philosophy if you already know a good deal about it. Like if you don't have your own opinion's semi put together already, then you will likely just get indoctrinated by marxist scum.

I'm 26, took some time off of school, and studied a fuck ton in my spare time, and am now transferring back to school to get a philosophy BA.

I'll be able to learn, but also pick out bullshit and adjust here and there to matrix dodge propaganda.

Philosophers aren't really meant to be especially functional important people, so the degree wasn't ever really meant to be super important or whatever. We are the eternal speculating NEETs of the earth.

We ask WHY?????? While you don't worry so much about it.

>implying that Jews wrote any philosophy that wasn't degenerate narcissistic satanism.

Isn't that a bit too "eurocentric" a perspective?

The Chinese co-invented it without Herklit mumbling into the emperor's ear

Philosophy is what makes men greater than an animal. It is the greatest redpill around.

Yeah, you take statutory interpretation.

Fair enough, but won't you end up a trained monkey with medicine too?

Universities are religious indoctrination centers, they have only the most tangential of relations to anything bearing the name 'education'.

This is not an age for philosophy, but it never was an age for philosophy in the first place, they've been persecuted in every society they ever sprung up in.

Philosophy prospers away from the scrutiny of the public and the ruling classes, and the universities are completely entwined with both of those.

>Philosophy is about being a intentional obtuse cunt who deploys pilpul tactics to pretend he doesn't understand what people mean by words like "useful".

Gas yourself.

I will say this about the current narrative of ((((((us)))))))

Underneath all the Jew memes, you need to realize that Catholics, and Jesuits are basically just as much to blame, if not more in some ways.

Sup Forums knows the Jew, and it's nature 100%. They are greedy selfish bastards, but that means that 90% of what Sup Forums sees as some extremely technical well thought out plot of world domination... it's just Jews being Jews.

Jesuits and the Vatican however have their hands clasped together tighter than ever before.

not sure, if I should take the bait desu

Which UC?
Also how can you study philosophy in Cali and not end up a bike-lock Swinging FARC-activist?

amigo dez carters, no comprehendo

so let's fucking make it an age of philosophy

very reasonable

Yes its is, you can try something more usefull like history or anthropology, but philosophy is just waste of time and money it will give you literally nothing.

>waste of time and money
pleb much?

The problem is you might find all the big philosophy companies aren't hiring when you graduate.

>acknowledge&redirect.jpg

Unless the torch of Western philosophy is to be extinguished rather than passed on into the next century some of us have to try to step up to the plate.

It might be a tad "eurocentric" but then again, as a Greek myself, I do not see Greece as a part of Europe. The history of philosophy starts with Greece. Yes China had a bit going for them but they did not "push the envelope" as the Greeks did.

retarded mutt. natural philosophy was the original science. as philosophers answered questions those peeled off to become their own disciplines. astrology, alchemy, chemistry, physics, math, medicine, engineering, every scientific discipline was once considered natural philosophy. the most recent offshoot being anthropology aka the philosophy of man.
>he most difficult questions one may ask in the discipline are just cross-eyed autistic drivel.
it seems that way to you because a youre retarded and b only the hard questions are left

lavar, no meditar! Quieres dollares o existencia?

Just don't major in it
It's good if it can fulfill a required elective.

you are not relevant switzerland

Chinese philosophy does not hold a candle to Greek philosophy. The Indian tradition is the only comparable one.

In german we have have the difference between "Aus-Bidlung" and "Bildung"
"Ausbildung" trains you to be a little gear in the machine, "Bildung" will advance you

great argument

Depends. Are you ready to face the wrath of the poststructuralists and global historians?

It is, be a NEET, so dont be in debt, and then do whatever you want. Philosphers and prophets and shitposters were all NEETS or they were private tutors for kings

UC Berkeley

Even though my school has a leftist reputation and in fact does have a ton of leftists on campus, my philosophy courses were surprisingly bereft of far-left bias, with the exception of a feminism & philosophy class and another class which dealt with race/ethnicity/citizenship - both were fluff classes and the professors were far left, but I was also able to take other classes which were heavily analytical, so the degeneracy was limited.

actually I'm very afraid of the anglo-american shitposting
what if they hurt my feelings?

Anthropology and history are more useful than philosophy? In which possible world?

Have you ever heard a history and a philosophy Major argue about anything for comparision?

you're not going into debt, if you study in Switzerland
But I understand and respect your point

I heard Fifa is always in need for people on their "ethics council" here in their Headquarter in Switzerland. You always need some communism-apologists to defend corruption.

Julius caesar hated Philosphers and he BTFOd Switzerland

So is it part of the Asian part that Turkey belongs to?

Fair enough on the other point

>Julius caesar
>Switzerland

do you even history
quadruplefucking keks

>Indian philosophy

To poo or not to poo