1 hour in so far. When does it get good?

1 hour in so far. When does it get good?

Watch Akira for the God tier animation. Read the manga for the actual story which is great by the way. Seriously no one cares about the movie for the story.

When you stop stopping the movie to write things on imageboards and actually focus on watching something you summer-drawn cancer.

>god-tier animation
It looks painfully average to me. Just a lot of over-animating scenes that do not look more impressive with more frames. I've seen explosions enough in other anime. Anime with impactful stories. It's also improperly directed. It feels like a 1:1 manga adaptation with panels directly lifted from there instead of a proper anime

this movie is so simplistic I can watch and type at the same time. Some people have multiple monitors.

I dropped it after 1:30. I really expected better stuff.

Do you know how fucking bad your brain is at multi-tasking? Fucking people nowadays, bet you check reddit on your phone at the same time.

I already addressed this fact by mentioning that it was a simplistic movie.

Then learn to appreciate the visual direction or animation. If it's so bad you can't focus on it, it's not worth your time in the first place. I don't even like Akira but making this kind of thread is not going to lead to any kind of sensible discussion.

The visual direction is awful. And the animation is just an overblown budget on boring scenes with dull screenplay. You're implying I can't watch explosions while typing. I don't need to look at a screen when typing you know.

I only watched it recently and didn't think that much of it, re-watched perfect blue the same day which was much better.

>not being able to watch the whole thing before shit talking
Is that how the ADHD meme works?

It's just so boring.

Akira is shit desu. The character designs are some of the ugliest of all time. None of the girls are even cute. There is no impressive animation. Just forced animation. The plot is retarded.
>Edgy kid becomes psychic for no reason and is now evil
What a masterpiece.

Just stop watching if you can't stand it.
Baiting people who liked it probably won't change your opinion user

I'm just trying to understand the appeal of Akira. I'm not trying to bait people

still better than the digital shit in your pic

Read the manga.

The manga looks cringy.

don't lie

if I wanted to bait people I would just post that one picture

I dropped it halfway in. The story wasn't really interesting desu

>cringy
your bait is showing now, actually fell for it up until you used the teenage lingo 6/10 bait op good job.

Relax. It's just my opinion.

Okay, so reminder that this was made nearly 30 years ago and it was adapted from a very large/unfinished manga into just a 2 hour film so of course it's going to be incoherent in some areas and the pacing is going to be odd, hell I love the movie and I agree that it's awkwardly directed, makes re-watching it sort of difficult. It's not perfect, though it did set standards in animation such as using facial expressions and matching up the VA's lines with the character's. Plus the production value on this movie was absolutely bonkers for Japan at the time and I personally think it looks pretty good animation wise, though, that's just my opinion.

Gonna look retarded for saying this but to me it's like an Eastern 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's critically acclaimed, is beloved by quite a bit of people, and is referenced heavily through out multiple forms of entertainment but it really doesn't hold up well by modern standards and in my opinion is an "acquired taste." Read the manga if you want the full story, I recently downloaded the entire colorized English translation for when I wanna reread it for like the 4th or 5th time, it's that good.

>though it did set standards in animation such as using facial expressions and matching up the VA's lines with the character
None of these things are the current standard though. Only western animation do they go out of their way to properly lipsync every show. I am well aware it was made in 1986. But do you know when alice in wonderland was made?

This is either bait or there is something in your brain you need examined

If you're incapable of understanding what I said then that does not make it bait

>Dropping a movie
Man you people have shitty attention spans

Plenty of Eastern animation departments utilize facial expressions for their characters these days, though maybe I should have said "set the bar" instead of "set the standard." My knowledge on Western/Eastern animation isn't that well versed so the point itself isn't very strong coming from me.

Though, to act as if the movie is critically acclaimed and respected through out the entertainment industry for no reason is pretty silly, don't you think?

I'd just accredit it to shitty taste or just not being able to grasp all of what's happening in the movie at once (which is more fair than the former), I have ADHD and I can still sit through the thing.

When you start reading the manga.

>VA lines
Oh you meant expression. Nvm then. I thought you were talking about something else.

The reason I dropped it was because it was so boring. Not because I'm incapable of watching something boring for another hour

>The manga looks cringy.
If by cringy you mean literal masterpiece, I'll agree with you.

manga looks like a poorly written scifi story.

I meant expression and lip syncing so for the latter your point holds up. I forgot to mention that the movie was especially influential in the west and helped introduce a lot of people to Eastern animation once it came to VHS and was dubbed.

Why do you think it was boring?

deep

>Katsuhiro Otomo
>poorly written
>anything
How wrong can one person be. I bet you think the Nausicaa manga is worse than it's film too.

>kid gets psychic powers for no reason
But that's wrong

>posts a generic set-piece seen in thousands upon thousands of other literary works
Christ. Even Tokyo Ghoul posters are more self-aware than your kind.

I've been watching a lot of "classic masterpieces" lately and they don't really seem to hold up all that well, nostalgia is an interesting thing I suppose

Yeah, these are a lot more interesting to look at if you have context in all honesty. Without that it looks pretty generic.

The good news is that it's a very well written cyberpunk story mixed with some elements of post-apocalypse and spy stories

Okay, so reminder that this was made nearly 30 years ago and it was adapted from a very large/unfinished manga into just a 2 hour film so of course it's going to be incoherent in some areas and the pacing is going to be odd, hell I love the movie and I agree that it's awkwardly directed, makes re-watching it sort of difficult. It's not perfect, though it did set standards in animation such as using facial expressions and matching up the VA's lines with the character's. Plus the production value on this movie was absolutely bonkers for Japan at the time and I personally think it looks pretty good animation wise, though, that's just my opinion.

Gonna look retarded for saying this but to me it's like an Eastern 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's critically acclaimed, is beloved by quite a bit of people, and is referenced heavily through out multiple forms of entertainment but it really doesn't hold up well by modern standards and in my opinion is an "acquired taste." Read the manga if you want the full story, I recently downloaded the entire colorized English translation for when I wanna reread it for like the 4th or 5th time, it's that good.

So is this whole thread just meant to bait oldfags

Same with gits to be honest

Nice visuals and shit e-everything else

based on what citation?

tell me more

name something released that same year with better animation
always REMEMBER this nu Sup Forums when watching old shows/movies
they are good because of the time they were released they were innovative and original

What I posted was too specific to be come a copypasta for nostalgiafagging.

Immediately

>but better animation
Animation means jackshit if the screenplay, directing etc is horesshit
>but same year
The year shouldn't matter. Alice in Wonderland came out 20 years prior to that.

The motorbike chase through Neo-Tokyo with the excellent lighting effects, dynamic action scenes and godly soundtrack was average to you?

Yeah this is bait

>based on what citation?
Mine, duh.
Do you want me to find some shitty review by some youtube or MAL reviewer or something?

Needs cute girls to keep interest in a show.

Definition of trash taste

>Lol I just started watching Citizen Kane. When does it get good?

That scene you described was uninspired and dull yes. There was nothing interesting about it. It was a generic chase scene. Random hentai shows manage to have better chase scenes. I recently watched Mezzo. It had a better chase scene.

akira is good but it's extremely overrated, like almost all anime films. I'll straight up call kon a hack.

On another note, 2001 A Space Odyssey was pretty shit too, although it certainly looked cool at times, the whole AI plot would've been 10x more interested if they focused on that instead of

>muh ancient aliens
>muh evolution

and yet the movie gets praised pretty much everywhere anyways, it's almost a running theme in the same vein as people say Akira's animation was so damn good or the art and visual style was great or even GitS which I also think had a weak plot too although a little bit better than Akira, it just ends up bothering me though, I consider myself more of a "boots on the ground" plot / story kind of guy and I wish more things were judged on those merits instead of "it just looked cool for it's time"

It's a product of a different generation.

I can watch it and enjoy it because it brings back the feeling of that time, just like I can go back and watch Billy Jack or Thunderheart and enjoy them.

Don't force yourself to try to enjoy something you can't understand.
You just weren't there man.

>I can watch it and enjoy it because it brings back the feeling of that time
Genuinely the most bullshit thing said in this thread by far

It fits Nausicaa perfectly though, other than the colour managa part. My point was though, everything that Akira did, Nausicaa had already done before and better with identical circumstances due to the unfinished manga.

>for its time
If you care about plot more than visuals, that's fine, but Akira looks amazing in any era.

On that note where the FUCK is the Battle Angle Alita Movie?

it looks extremely amateurish.

Well of course they're overrated, though just because you don't enjoy them doesn't mean they're objectively bad. People have their own tastes.

I liked the monolith bit though HAL's antagonistic place in the story really just took me out of it. It felt like HAL and the monolith were from their own Sci Fi movies and it was weird. I don't like the movie very much myself (though I do love the props).

>boots on the ground
Not sure what you mean by that, do you not enjoy excessive imagery or something? Because I can understand that. Like I said, it has it's not perfect but it's not downright horrible. Just overrated. I still think they fucked up by not making it a trilogy, compressing it to the level they did really doesn't do the manga justice.

I've never heard of it so I wouldn't know, good catch either way. Did Akira just appeal to a wider audience or something?

> I've never heard of it so I wouldn't know
>I've never heard of Nausicaa
What the fuck is happening in this thread? Lurk for two years before posting, newfag.

>amateurish
This exactly. Akira feels like someone's highschool project.

>never heard of Nausicaa

Holy shit what are you doing even posting.
You need to go back to lurking.

Name three anime from the last decade with better animation.

Been around longer than that, I've just never heard of it. Probably because I prefer Western entertainment over Eastern, doubt it's due to a lack of lurking/listening.

> Been around longer than that
No, you haven't.

> I prefer Western entertainment over Eastern
>but I've been lurking on Sup Forums for more than two years
Keep your story consistent, retard.

Nagi no Asukara
Prison School
Boku no Pico

Already did.

At least you didn't fall for the manga meme, which has garbage art and paneling. The movie is much, much better.

- Redline
- Garden of Words
- Hibike Euphonium

I actually have, the fact that you have to make up blind assumptions to make your claim substantial just proves that you're wrong.

Been on Sup Forums longer than that, I never said Sup Forums. Not going to individually lurk 2+ years on each individual board before posting, that's completely stupid. Stop being such a child.

>Been on Sup Forums longer than that, I never said Sup Forums.
That's what people are referring to when they say to lurk, retard.
>Not going to individually lurk 2+ years on each individual board before posting, that's completely stupid. Stop being such a child.
Fuck off and kill yourself.

>Garden of Words
Why does Sup Forums confuse art with animation?

Jesus, guess someone slept past dinner time. I'm sure your tendies are safe in the kitchen for breakfast.

Don't even try to cover up how new you are.
Nausicaa is a Ghibli film.

You could have just asked Sup Forums who Batman was and gotten a similar reaction.

There's nothing wrong with being new, just don't post and unintentionally troll everyone.
We assume a minimum amount of knowledge when we troll each other and you are not there.

I find the anime to have the same dull manga paneling as the manga

It's a fucking Miyazaki movie dude, you're not going to convince anyone

Redline is the only one of those that's even halfway there. Garden of Words' animation was completely unexceptional for a movie, and Hibike's was only notable among TV series.

Fair enough.

Probably because separating them is pointless when they rely on each other.

To be fair. No adult should watch Ghibli movies. They're basically just really popular in America which is why you've heard of them in your childhood. It's just a cultural difference

>I'm a newfag from another board and I refuse to lurk
Welcome to Sup Forums, don't come back.

>Garden of Words' animation was completely unexceptional for a movie
So was Akira

Nah, I'll stay. Keep being mad though.

The manga had better voices, though.

They're arguing that I should know it because it's day one knowledge for anime discussion in order to post here, not that it should be common knowledge period. I'm wrong in that regard, doubt I'll watch it though due to me just not liking Studio Ghibli that much.

>Not sure what you mean by that, do you not enjoy excessive imagery or something?

I guess so yeah, take 2001 for example there are a lot of overly long shots where fuck all happens and yet they're praised for being "artsy" and if you dare say anything about them usually the best you get in reply amounts to "you just don't get it", similar thing for GitS too but usually I think that movie has a different problem entirely when it comes to critical or "analytical" content about it, when it comes to Akira though it's just generally said about the whole movie really which is "amazingly animated" for it's time and the visuals are "so unique" and all that which I can definitely understand really, I'm not saying it looked like shit but to call a movie a masterpiece on just those merits alone is fucking ludicrous to me, the whole plot is average at best and a mess at worst, it's like that "Chronicle" found footage style film (which probably was inspired by Akira itself now that I think about it) and all in all I just think it's kind of ironic how movies like the Michael Bay Transformers are usually bashed and rightfully so for being bad and yet they have some of the best CGI in the industry or Ufotable's latest works like Tale of Zestiria or Katsugeki which are all flash and no substance but the moment it's something like 15+ years old it's a fucking classic, so innovative, so artsy and whatever other flowery buzzwords these faggots like to throw around

We're a bunch of doll-buying, hentai masturbating, image board-posting freaks.

Let's not get into what we should be doing as adults, we'll be here all day.

>No adult should watch Ghibli movies. They're basically just really popular in America
They're popular anywhere anyone watches anime
If you give a shit about anime at all you "should" watch them and even if you're a normalfag redactor you have watched them anyway. Why are you on this board again?

>No adult should watch Ghibli movie

I seriously hope you don't actually think that. Only Yesterday and The Wind Rises are not films for children.

>they're popular anywhere
Not really. It's an american culture thing. Don't presume things of places where you weren't brought up.

>Only Yesterday
>Studios‎: ‎Studio Ghibli
>Genres‎: ‎Drama‎, ‎Romance‎, ‎Slice of Life
>Rating‎: ‎G - All Ages
Literally google disagrees with you.

They're for Japanese children.

You see Japanese age at 1/10 the speed of un-evolved humans and thus required more mature stimulation, such as incest, rape, and high-impact truck sex.

This guy is literally trying to convince someone that Ghibli movies are only popular in America.

I didn't meant that there's age restrictions on the films. Clearly the themes in Only Yesterday are aimed at adults though, unless of course children understand and enjoy mono no aware themes.

>Not really. It's an american culture thing
I'm Czech and they are liked here.
Get fucked.

That's not what I said.

I wouldn't know for I haven't been brought up there. All I'm saying is that not everyone is american.

>themes in Only Yesterday are aimed at adults though
If it were it wouldn't have a G rating. It's another shallow commercialized trash movie meant for little children no adult should watch. Children are able to enjoy anything. That's not an argument.