So can anyone explain to me exactly what role Pen-Pen played in the larger symbolism of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

So can anyone explain to me exactly what role Pen-Pen played in the larger symbolism of Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4d2c3v/pen_pen_from_neon_genesis_evangelion_why_a/
youtube.com/watch?v=mnTU_hJoByA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He's the Jar-Jar Binks of the franchise. Gets replaced later on by Mari.

Humor and emphasizing Misato's loneliness.

He's the last member of the FAR

Pen-Pen is FAR.

What if that's why he vanishes for the last few episodes until the congratulations scene? It's been a while since I've seen NGE, but when Pen-Pen is gone, Misato tries to reconnect with people and nobody laughs because shit goes down.

He's a comedy relief character used to add to the sense that the series is a normal mecha at the beginning. Removing him part way through signifies the shift in tone as the series moves from a fairly normal monster of the week series to something darker.

Humor and emphasizing Misato likes to take useless shit under her wing.

reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4d2c3v/pen_pen_from_neon_genesis_evangelion_why_a/

this might help

Penguins mate for life, so he represent's Misato's & Kaji's ultimately unhealthy inability to get past the relationship with each other despite all those years.

Oh, and when he goes away it's also when misato stops drinking, kaji is dead and she find a new drive to fight the powers that be.

Pen-pen is God.

He symbolised penguins.

That sounds completely believable. I'm going to write a Cruel Angel's thesis on it.

actually, Pen-Pen was the true mastermind behind all this, so Penguins can rule the earth

Pen Pen is there to remind you that people get cucked by animals more than you would like to think

Legitimately a good actually deep series knows that not everything should be a metaphor.

That's bullshit penguins get cucked all the time.

penguins are gay and suicidal. no deeper meaning senpai.

He's only around cause he witnessed Second Impact

Shinji's penis.

Don't you fucking dare post it, I had forgotten

I always saw him as Anno's self insert

>the webm of the penguin killing itself
Why are penguins so tragic?

Never forget the plight of being a penguin. youtube.com/watch?v=mnTU_hJoByA

>linking to reddit
Go kill yourself.

>leddit meeming
kill yourself

Go kill yourself.

To sell plushies.
Every anime needs a cute mascot character.

He sure looks at Shinji's schlong at lot for a self-insert.

Shut up, Asuka

i'd ask he they actually did sell any

but of course they did

The easiest way to see it is as a failed mascot. The angels actually took this role, and i doubt anno expected it.
But for the story, it shows misato as a lonely woman who only has her pet as a faithful companion. Kinda like a crazy cat lady,

Finally, it shows how fucked the environment it. Its a fucking HOT WATER PENGUIN, and most likely a survivor from the second impact (which happened in Antarctica) just like misato. I guess im slow but it took me a while to realize that last one.

>mate for life
Such betas

Will they just rerelease Evangelion + EoA on Blu-ray again already? Fuck it would print money.

No, because fuck you.