What happened to all the great 80s artists and designers? Did they retire or die or turn to shit?

What happened to all the great 80s artists and designers? Did they retire or die or turn to shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F0k2ODUJjQU
youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn0tj_6sbI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why did you choose that pic, OP? None apply for Mikimoto.

Varying degrees of all 3.

The art improved and became more diverse.

>what happened to people in working age from 40 years ago
gee i wonder, did you check the cemetery?

I didn't even laugh.

>great return to anime after 20 years was an AoT literal trainwreck knockoff

He's better off retired.

Most of them are still alive. Japanese people live a long time.

Not at all, he did a great job with the designs. It's not his fault the show was kind of lousy otherwise.

You realize 1980 is almost 40 years ago right?

They were replaced by writers. Ill never understand the fascination with 80/90s shows. Sure, their artstyle is often more mature and gritty, but holy shit is the writing of most tv shows and OVAs absolute bin tier. The vast majority of shows also ruins itself by overly stretching the EP count way past what it should be. Really, the only thing the 80/90s were good for are scifi movies and maybe a handful of OVAs. So many of them simply got ruined because they went on too long. Megazone23 turns to shit by ep2, Bubblegum Crsis leads nowhere, City Hunter has over a hundred eps for no good reason, same with Touch and Maison Ikkoku, and then you have all the hard mecha shows of which most completely fucking blow like the literal insults that are Zoerymar or Tekkaman Blade. FutureBoy Conan is a mess for its second half and 0083 turns from the most incredible visual achievement into a shitty love triangle.

And there are so many more examples. For every single beautiful frame an 80/90s show had, it also has one horribly written line of dialogue or plot development. Really, if it wasnt for the incredible movies that came out in that period of time it would be absolutely worthless.

Most are still actively working, you just don't recognize them anymore because their methods changed to adapt to the post-cel era of animation from the 2000s onward. For instance, Masami Obari is still actively animating for instance, yet you hardly notice his presence anymore. Other character and mecha designers have also given in to modern trends. A handful like Masamune Shirow and Hiroyuki Kitazume lost their minds. And many older directors, like Anno, Otomo, and Oshii had no choice but to pursue different styles of animation and even different mediums altogether, most of the time with not much success. Mikimoto and Yasuhiko and Sadamoto have been spending most of their time in the past few years drawing manga, while occasionally popping their heads out of the mud for an anime. Mamoru Nagano has been consistently himself since the 80s regardless of all the retconning he does to his own work, though I don't know if I've always considered him something of an outsider who never really followed the rules of the anime industry.

>hating Zeroymer(which you can't even spell correctly) Bubblegum Crisis or Megazone23.

Enjoy your sterilized artstyle because you only watch "mature anime with mature plots for mature people such as yourself." Also this board is 18+.

Anime still has a large problem with writers.
Good Composers: Check
Good Directors: Some, and there is quite a lot of new talent in that regard.
Good Writers: almost none.

Anime completely depends on the writers for related mediums, and this has become quite an issue with the ammount of anime produced.

Zeorymer I meant, before you anidb it.

Long shows are comfy you fucking casual. And animation groups used to make good filler eps. It's much better than shows today that don't take a breather and have simple plain moments with the characters.

>They were replaced by writers.
Stopped reading there, if you think modern anime is significantly better written, you need to try reading a book some time. Most shit is an adaptation so the writers aren't even doing a significant amount of work outside of formatting for 20 minute episodes rather than a light novel or manga. Hell, even a lot of the original anime being produced are ripoffs of older series. Take Aldnoah.Zero which was a significantly worse and somehow less nuanced Gundam.

I guarantee that faggot probably lauds isekai as innovative, too. Pretty repulsive hyper-hipsterism newfaggotry.

>many older directors, like Anno, Otomo, and Oshii had no choice but to pursue different styles of animation and even different mediums altogether, most of the time with not much success.

But Shin Godzilla was one of the best Japanese films of all time.

>Mamoru Nagano
>outsider who never really followed the rules of the anime industry

Didn't he work on a bunch of mecha anime with Tomino in the 80s? He's as much of a veteran as any of the other guys, maybe to an even greater extent.

>Also this board is 18+
Let me get this straight. You tell me to swallow shit writing but then assume that its me who is underage? The only thing that saved Megazone is its setting AND the writing. The animation wasnt even all that good in the first episode, which is an impeccable experience but past that it simply turns to shit. You probably wouldnt know that since you randomly selected 80s OVAs on MAL and scored them with 10/10. Not even gonna start on Bubblegum Crisis that doesnt even have an overarching plot until e4 and then ultimately does nothing with it and just ends.

>Anime still has a large problem with writers.
I wholeheartedly agree, but that doesnt change the fact that most shows from the 80/90s were nothing but eyecandy. I mean, I realize that the only reason this stands out so much is because there were way fewer shows in general but still.

They only are if the show has the substance to make them not feel like worthless filler which hardly any of them do. Not even LotGh really does. Prime example are MSG and Zeta which literally shoehorn nonsensical fights and romance subplots to stretch the EPcount all the way to 50 to fulfill the broadcasting contract.

>Most shit is an adaptation so the writers aren't even doing a significant amount of work
Thats completely irrelevant since many older shows also were adaptations, mostly of mangas.

>Aldnoah.Zero which was a significantly worse and somehow less nuanced Gundam
So you take a shit show to compare it to something to prove a point. Brilliant approach, really. Fafner, Hyouge Mono, House of Five Leaves, RahXephon, Moribito, Crest/Banner of Stars, PingPong are just a few examples of shows that completely shit on almost anything written in the 80s.

shit taste

You're the one who brought up MAL so I imagine you're the one who uses it. The Garland sequences were masterful and Hirano was on point with his designs, as usual. Your taste is shit and I hope you get run over by a train. It's telling that you only mention bigger shows when the writing of most stuff that some claim lackluster tends to stem from more obscure stuff from the OVA boom, like Le Deus, Legaciam, Cyguard. And even then writing isn't the main draw.

You don't know shit about what the OVA boom entailed if you're solely concerned with writing, which your newfag-ass is. Why do you think you got called out by roughly 5 different anons? Go back to school.

>muh pingpong
>Rahxephon (I guess you've never watched Eva)
>HFL
Laughable Reddit-tier taste. Begone.

That is utter nonsense, especially when it's more or less a modern reboot of the original 1954 Godzilla. It's like the Force Awakanes. However, you are correct in that it was a financially and critically successful film, but pretty much all of Anno's other work from the 2000s onward has been more on the side of the producers like with the Rebuilds and Animator Expo. His actual live-action films that don't belong to the the most well-known Japanese franchise in the world have been both fairly mediocre and forgotten by everyone other than the most hardcore Eva otaku.

>Thats completely irrelevant since many older shows also were adaptations, mostly of mangas
First off, the plural form of manga is "manga", not "mangas". Second off, you had much more quality, original works coming out at that time than you do today. Now you get utter garbage like ReCreators and Yuri on Ice. The best original anime in the last 5 years was Shirobako and if you try to tell me Psycho-Pass, Kill la Kill, or Fujiko Mine shit all over series from the 80's and 90's, you're an idiot.

>Fafner, Hyouge Mono, House of Five Leaves, RahXephon, Moribito, Crest/Banner of Stars, PingPong are just a few examples of shows that completely shit on almost anything written in the 80s.
Most of those are adaptations. Why do you keep attributing their writing to the anime staff? The ones that aren't, like RahXephon, we're done better the decade before.

I actually didn't realize this. Fuck.

80/90s worship is usually just nostalgia goggles or "muh aesthetics". I spent a great deal of time watching old ovas and series and I agree with you, most of them are trash tier, they just look very nice but most modern series have more compelling characters and storylines.
80's anime just became popular among normalfags and newfags because of that shitty vaporware meme.
I mean there are still some gems like Lupin, Patlabor, LOTGH etc but those are just that, exceptions.
70's>>>>>>>>'s.

>And even then writing isn't the main draw
How is this even an argument? Next youll tell me that Ghibli movies are good because Miyazaki isnt even trying to sell a story, hes just trying to make the pictures look pretty.

>solely concerned with writing
You mean, like youre only concerned with a certain artstyle?

>Why do you think you got called out by roughly 5 different anons? Go back to school.
Not a single one had a new IP so I am fairly sure those werent 5 people but at least 1 or 2 people samefagging.

>I guess you've never watched Eva
And you call me "reddit" when you unironically think that NGE is better than RahXephon. Utterly laughable. I am surprised that you havent posted you meme MAL list yet since I specifically targetted you with the shows I mentioned since thats all the ones you scored as 10/10 IIRC.
>inb4 but thats not me
Sure thing buddy.

>more quality, original works
Doenst compute. Hardly anything from the 80s is "quality work" if we look at anything outside of art and partially audio direction.

>Now you get utter garbage like ReCreators and Yuri on Ice
Yea, and back then you got Tobikage, Laynzer, AttackNo1 and Kickers, whats your point?

>Psycho-Pass, Kill la Kill, or Fujiko Mine shit all over series from the 80's and 90's, you're an idiot.
Oh nice, we listing random ass shows no one ever mentioned with a single syllable to namecall other user now. This is going places.

>Why do you keep attributing their writing to the anime staff?
LotR isnt a movie from the 50s because the source material was written back then. Theres a difference between source material and adapted screenplay. Besides, none of this even matters. If the "original writing" is shit compared to the "adaptation" then the "original writing" doesnt suddenly improve because the shows writers didnt adap something. Its still shit and remains as such.

Yes, Satoshi is dead.
RIP

That user is right, though.
>Zeorymer
The only thing this had going for it was the animation. Besides that, the plot was non-existent and every battle was the same with the boring protagonist winning every fight in the same exact manner.
>Bubblegum Crisis
Nah, it isn't the sacred cow everyone thinks it is. Obari's episode was good, but 2040 had a better plot, characters, and aesthetic.
>Megazone 23
Again, non-existent plot and paper-thin characters. It's only good for its animation. Part 1 is the closest the series comes to greatness, the other two parts are weak.

They just adapted to newer styles, moved to other stuff or spend their time drawing girls getting fucked by horses

Nagano was this boy genius that Sunrise hired in the early 80s because they were desperate for new talent. His original passion was to be either an engineer, fashion designer, or musician. He joined Sunrise because he got bored of college and quickly advanced through their designer ranks and got the position of both lead character and mecha designer for L-Gaim after working for less than four months at the studio (most designers at the time would take at least one or two years). Unfortunately, he made a lot of enemies because he was not a toy designer to be designing mecha, nor an animator to be designing characters- the two roles most common to those jobs at the time. His designs were considered revolutionary for both mecha and toy design, but that was not enough. He always butted heads with the producers because he despised the idea of designs as toys, and as a result many of his designs and his own creative credits (scripts and world design on Zeta and ZZ for instance) were rescinded by Sunrise. He had a great relationship with Tomino, unfortunately Tomino was too busy with directorial duties to always be standing up for Nagano. As a result, Nagano got fed up and left Sunrise in the mid-80s and became the mangaka for Newtype magazine when it first went into publication, because this position gave him full creative control over his work. As a result of that, Five Star Stories was created, and Nagano rarely ever touches the anime industry except for the occasional Tomino project like Brain Powerd, or creating his own Indie film like Gothicmade, which he literally had no studio to work with and more or less asked various animators to draw certain cuts in their spare time, while animating the rest on his own. He's immensly respected nowadays, but he has never been considered to be a part of the anime industry.

Basically, the dude is Japanese Orson Welles.

>His actual live-action films that don't belong to the the most well-known Japanese franchise in the world have been both fairly mediocre and forgotten by everyone other than the most hardcore Eva otaku.

Weren't they literally arthouse films?

Yes, hence "obscure" and "mediocre". They really aren't anything to write home about.

I'm so pissed right now becasue this is my era but the fact that "80"s style and animation is no longer relevant to 00s despite better produciton quality.

That's completely bullshit these masters were forced to change, Satoshi kon probably got it the best seeing how he wasn't forced to change to lower his standards to this new age

;_;

Too much work nowadays.

>"80"s style and animation is no longer relevant to 00s despite better produciton quality.

Fuck you you know it's true. The highs of 80s anime are so much better than the best modern shlock can put out. Who cares if the lows are marginally lower.

I believe that many people would wish for 80s aesthetics paired with writing from virtually any other period of time. We cant choose and are stuck with what weve got. Fortunately enough the 80s aesthetics produced plenty of really good movies that, for the most part, are honestly still unmatched to this day. At least thats how I see it. No scifi movies (I can think of) that were made over the course of the last 20 years are able to match scifi from the 80s and partially 90s.

Go watch ANY late 80s early 90s movie and compare that to 00s movies

You are gonna sit here with your smug shit and say that there is better anime 00s quality than FUCKING AKIRA?!

the fuck outta here

>the fuck outta here
I dont think that capslock and talking like some trailerpark trash bimbo will convince him. Besides, the post he responded to talked about 80s anime, not movies, so it seems a bit unfair to just cherry pick those after the initial claim was made.

>uses monogatrash as rebuttal

>these hands have withstood great pain to create thousands of waifus

>Unfortunately, he made a lot of enemies because he was not a toy designer to be designing mecha

Wasn't Kawamori the first to take that title? He just popped up out of nowhere and created SDF Macross. He had a pretty sad life of neglect too thanks to Harmony Gold.

I fucking love this picture, almost forgot about it. Thank you op.

Art really went shit somewhere along the line. Remember the fucking hentaigames from the PC-98 era? Even the faps used to be better.

my god I thought the last generation of anime fans were bad. You 2010's are absolutely the worst uninformed fans ever. Every decade has it's god tier shows sitting on top a pile of garbage. What's important is to appreciate the what today's shows are built upon.
watching the classics is mandatory before posting here.

Cell shading and hand drawn animation contained all the spirit of the artists, digitisation killed this for economics

nigga he made the colony laser in gundam and was part of the team that made optimus prime

He designed some of the original Transformers toys before Macross

Anime is still hand drawn user.

>watching the classics is mandatory before posting here.
Thanks for the laugh. Whats the percentage of threads that are about shows pre 00? Where in the region of 1-5% is it?

>what today's shows are built upon
Yeah, its essential to realize how the aesthetics have declined but how hard the writing quality went up.

But user, if you use a Wacom to draw something it isnt hand drawn because its only visible on a computer screen, not a physically existing piece of paper.

>my god I thought the last generation of anime fans were bad. You 2010's are absolutely the worst uninformed fans ever.
Judging from this thread, 80sfags are giving them a run for their money.

As the others have mentioned, Kawamori was a pretty seasoned designer by the time he worked on Macross. Furthermore, his involvement has been somewhat artificially inflated because most of the designs for the show came from Kazutaka Miyatake, and the direction at the hands of Nobuo Ishiguro. Kawamori claims that all the ideas in the show were his, but at the time it was just credited to Studio Nue, and there have been conflicting reports of how much he was involved in from varying interviews with both Ishiguro and Miyatake and Mikimoto. Still, even apart from Macross, Kawamori has never really done an entire project all on his own. In all the shows he directs, there is always a co-director or scriptwriter. Unlike Nagano, he's a man of collaboration, and I the big reason Macross is still profitable is because he knows how to work the toy manufacturers and media executives to deliver a product.

Harmony Gold doesn't mean shit to anyone in Japan, other than a slight sigh of frustration at not being able to spread to the western market. Hardly anything consequence given Japan's very self-centric business tactics.

>nothing but adhominem
>thinking Rahxephon is better than Eva
L2bait.

>that user
Yeah, because the 3 minute difference between
is just coincidence, right?

>Zeorymer
Beautiful mecha design and character design. The plot is spelled out for you, though the fights aren't particularly comeplling.
> sacred cow
HAHA It's actually you, 2040fag! Go fucking figure. Do me a favor and doxx yourself already so I can put you out of your misery and do your parents a favor in the process. Pathetic samefagging newfag trash.

At the end of the day RahXephon has better audio direction, higher production values due to its second half not being a lackluster rushjob (theres only one bad looking ep) and a significantly better maincast. Whether it has better art direction is completely subjective, but I personally think that the Dolems look a million times more consistent and aesthetic than the angels and, if we dismiss the atrocious design of the RahXephon mech, Vermilion and Schwarzer look better than any mech found in NGE. RahXephons character designs being superior is a given. Its not hard to be superior to Rei, Asuka, Shinji or Akagi.

Now beyond that its a tossup. Whether you prefer the psychological approach of NGE with Christian symbolism all over the place or the romantic one of RahXephon with hard scifi and Mayan influences is completely left to you. NGE focuses more on its symbolism and underlying christian themes, while RahXephon focuses on love and character bonds. Both of them are completely different from eachother. And with NGE I mean the TV series, not EoE. Just wanted to mention that before you go ahead and start talking about how great EoEs visuals and sound design are. Those are two completely different pairs of shoes.

I mean to me the tv shows are almost equal, RahXephon just edges it out because it was more consistent in its production process. In hindsight I should probably readdress my personal evaluation for NGE, though, since I clearly seem to have a lot more issues with it.

Artistic-wise, early 80s to early 90s is the period where anime peaked.

They died to make way for moe and A1 shit

Mikimoto is still one of the best.

>Gothicmade, which he literally had no studio to work with and more or less asked various animators to draw certain cuts in their spare time, while animating the rest on his own.

Damn, guess that explains why it took 7 years to make.

And despite the art looking great, it was received so badly that it wont ever be released on BD
>inbefore someone claiming that the reason its not available outside of cinemas is because its shot at certain resolution
Cant believe that they unironically went ahead and claimed for that to be the reason.

Space Adventure Cobra is literally better than 99% of anime today. Production and content-wise. Shit has some audacious animation for a 39-episode show, and some really creative scenes, not to mention the Osamu "postcard memories" for every episode.

its funny because a ton of anime are still drawn on paper before being scanned and colorized and post processed to hell and back on a computer.

>was received so badly that it wont ever be released on BD

From what I hear it's still being played in theaters over Japan on-demand. Last showing was in like 15 theaters sometime in July.

The VF-1, literally the design that cemented his reputation as a top mecha designer, was designed entirely around the fact that the SDFM producers wanted a toy that could transform into different modes.

Yea and it has been for like 5 years now. Really, the actual reason they gave is something close to this.

>For a quick translation, the movie has been made with a technology that makes it impossible (for now) to watch the movie on our TVs, so the movie doesn't exist on blu-ray and DVD. That's also why even in 2015, there are still some theaters in Japan that are tstill showing the movie.
>(and for more infos on why it's impossible, I've read on AnimeSuki that GothicMade has been animated and mastered in 4k HD: it's 4096p as opposed to a blu-ray resolution of 1080p)

Now I dont know what the source of this is, but I doubt that someone would just make this up (considering how ultras niche this work is and hardly even knows about tis existence in the west)

youtube.com/watch?v=F0k2ODUJjQU

moe killed the anime star

The first time an anime Blu-Ray was released in 4K was with Gundam Thunderbolt, and that disc only came out half a year ago. GTM isn't out yet, but only recently is 4K starting to become a norm.

It may be technical issues or Nagano's insistence or both, but either way I doubt the movie was made with enough of a budget that demanded enormous returns in the form of disc sales. Nagano is the type of person who favors limited goods like resin kits sold in small numbers at exclusive events, and the movie is following that model.

Which is exactly what I am saying. Its resolution is irrelevant. The reason why it wont be made available "to the public" (or whatever the proper term is) is because Mamoru cant be bothered to make it available which means that its very unlikely for it to change.

Also: Implying you couldnt just downscale the film. What sort of production process is that supposed to be? 4K isnt the problem (especially since the hardware for it has existed for ages), its the unwillingness of the creator.

>The best original anime in the last 5 years was Shirobako
Hold up nigga, it was okay but it did nothing interesting or particularly compelling but pick relatively untouched subject matter. There's at least two, maybe 4 better originals out there than Shirobako, and I'm not even just talking about SamFlam.

It's surprising that it was even finished at all. Even Takashi Murakami, the wealthiest pop artist in Japan right now, couldn't finish his crappy mahou shoujo OVA (Six-Hearts Princess) despite putting in the same amount of time and probably even more money with an actual studio to work on it. In general it's much harder to make independent OVAs now compared to the economic boom of the 80s, no matter how wealthy you are and how many connections you have.

I love Mikimoto's art, but it surely lost quality when he turned to digital media.

Didn't something happen with some NTR between Nagano and Tomito?

I agree with this. The 80's aesthetics are simply great and I also personally really like the songs.

I feel like Kabaneri was a return to form for Mikimoto even in the modern age.

>Didn't something happen with some NTR between Nagano and Tomito?

No, Maria Kawamura has been his girlfriend before they even met Tomino. Tomino had been married before he even started directing. Tomono was even the best man and matchmaker at Nagano's wedding.

The whole cuckshit was made up as a joke fan theory as to why Tomino killed everyone in Zeta's ending (becayse the show had both Nagano and Kawamura working on it) until people on TV Tropes started taking it seriously.

Traditional media Noriko for comparison

Didn't say it did, but there's not much competition for original anime in the last 5 years. If you know of any better one, feel free to name them. SamFlam was like 5-6/10 at best.

You should try comparing with a more recent digital illustration from Mikimoto. That DVD cover illustration was quite a while ago.

>Six-Hearts Princess

What the FUCK is this even about?

youtube.com/watch?v=Fcn0tj_6sbI

Could be worse, like what happened to Kitazume.

Hmm, I trying picking these 2 because they both have the same character, But he is at this () level nowadays, right?

My favorite story about the design process was how Kawamori thought the chicken-jointed Gerwalk legs were a really innovative design, but then he was "beaten" to the punch by the AT-ST's from Star Wars.

Punch Line was better written, better designed and better animated than shirobako. I didn't watch pleiades or concrete revolutio, but apparently the former is pretty good (which may be the very same hyperbole that shirobako is the victim of) and the latter is obviously a BONES show with good animation and solid designs that gets points for doing something different.

I personally don't really care how you rate these shows, but taking a bird's-eye perspective on the originals that came out in the past half-decade there's clearly shows that stand out. Shirobako, despite the love it gets on Sup Forums, doesn't really stand out. It's just light drama centered around anime production, with no aspirations or attempts to be anything more. It isn't even especially good at what it does, it's just adequate. The other shows I mentioned all have much more going for them, and a couple of them were (I feel) wrongfully shat on/ignored here when they aired. They're better shows than shirobako, your personal scores for them notwithstanding.

Fafner Exodus and Tsuki ga Kirei for starters. However, I dont see what the relevance of any of this is. Modern shows are adapting source material, so what? With the internet being a fucking thing, and WNs being as popular as they are, its just logical for the industry to heavily shift away from studios writing their own stories and instead focus on adaptation. It also involved significantly less risk since your being paid upfront to make the show. Quite frankly, you dont even have a point. You compare an era with limited access to information and writers to an era with almost unlimited access to both. What exactly is the artistic value of an original work compared to an adaptation? The anime original sure as hell isnt guarnateed to be conclusive, either.

I enjoyed the film quite a bit, and I think it's a nice made movie, but I wouldn't call Anno the best anything.

>Oh nice, we listing random ass shows no one ever mentioned with a single syllable to namecall other user now. This is going places.
Actually, "idiot" is 3 syllables.

No wonder you were called one.

le 80s is the biggest meme decade of our entire history, probably one of the biggest annoying memes in humanity
the fact that people go le wrong generation over it even nowadays is still funny
even baby boomers are slightly less bad when it comes to that

>Been 3 generations
>People still being le wrong generation over it

Tell me you aren't this stupid. Which decade of anime do you think sits at the top then.

>genre stories are ripoffs
I love this meme, especially when it's never applied to anything other than anime.

It's called a reaction image. Lurk more.

I thought Punch Line was forgettable while Shirobako is an excellent show. Cry more.

In regards to writing literally any period of time tops the 80s. In regards to scifi aesthetics none do, but thats the thing with modern anime: we have so much shit that wasnt even really established back then (from a genre exclusive standpoint). It means nothing that you think that X or Y are shit. If a person values scifi aesthetics above everything else, then the 80s are the time anime peaked for them. If they care about other asepcts (characters, plot, overall writing, animation, audio design, genres that arent scifi) then the 80s wont even make top2. Bottomline is that there is no point in arguing with you. To you 80s aesthics are the pinnacle of the medium and while I partially agree I am unable unlike you to just dismiss all other aspects of a show/movie. All those aspects that 80s anime completely fucking suck at. However, if I was to post my top10 of all time then 3 80s anime would still make it, but every single one of them would be a movie.

>Nagono wife is Naga VA
He can hear Naga laugh everdays!

I think it is unarguable that current gen anime has the absolute worst writing, premises, and creativity. If the prime gen you're talking about is the 90s, then that's acceptable. You could easily make compelling arguments there.

But the bar was severely lowered once y2k hit and ever since nobody has dared revolutionize the status quo. There have been highs throughout any given year, but otaku have become more radicalized (with shit like idolm@ster which would make even the most hardcore macross fan of the 80s gag) and those are the people the market is catered to. We now must suffer a significant portion of the industry to utterly lifeless, asinine shlock.

The main line of reasoning I was trying to get at is that if people across every generation since the 80s are claiming that that was the best generation of anime, well then maybe they have a point. I don't know, but I myself see a pretty clear decline, peaking sometime in the 80s, coasting close to flat through the 90s, and then taking a stark nosedive once the current style of anime hit.

Anyone who praises 80s and 90s anime while shitting on everything current stating that shit mas so much better is hard core nostalgiafagging. Yes certain things on the production side have changed, no one is denying that, but stating that those were golden years while the present is shit while naming a few certain shows, OVAs and movies is looking through rose tinted glasses. Those shows or screenshots that are shown were the exception rather than the rule. Just like with music and movie one remembers those examples because they were exceprional. Rarely does one remembers the average or terrible shows that aired back then unless one stops and thinks about it because they weren't great. I'd go as far as to say the ratio of shit vs gold that aired back then is similar to that of today. 20 or 30 years from now no one will easily remember all the average to bad showa that aired today, just like with music and movies they'll only remember the exceptional.

they got replaced with younger artist and designers, and had to accept their fate as assistants

>Shirobako is an excellent show
Care to elaborate?
What was excellent about it?
What makes it stand out, exactly?

Is it the characters? Couldn't be, they were pretty bland and forgettable both individually and as a whole.
Is it the art and animation? Surely not, anyone can see that there's been many superior shows in this regard, from the very same studio even.
The writing? With that bland, toothless script? Watch any idol series and get almost the exact same formulaic inoffensive conflicts and drama. It's almost childlike how simple the writing is.

What, pray tell, illuminates this show in your eyes? What makes it stand above every other original show, to you? I want to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Yes, I'm mad.

Anyone trying to argue that writing in anime is any better now is retarded.

>I think it is unarguable that current gen anime has the absolute worst writing, premises, and creativity.
It isn't unarguable, it's just a meme.

>otaku have become more radicalized (with shit like idolm@ster which would make even the most hardcore macross fan of the 80s gag
What is "radical" about iMAS and why should it make people gag?

>those are the people the market is catered to
Anime is very varied and is not focused on just a single thing. Maybe you should watch it some time.

>We now must suffer a significant portion of the industry to utterly lifeless, asinine shlock.
Why is iMAS "lifeless, asinine shlock"? And who is this "we"? Do you think you represent the "real" anime fans or something?

Fuck off.