Download akagi because kaiji was fun to watch

>download akagi because kaiji was fun to watch
>don't know anything about mahjong so trying to watch this shit is literally impossible
How the fuck am I supposed to watch this without prior knowledge of the game?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html
youtu.be/hXDVyD3wEDk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong#Setup
global.bookwalker.jp/dedb38b242-da1d-4f93-aa32-3112bccc7632/
youtube.com/watch?v=hlnC2rgIPrc
mahjongdragon.com/japanese-mahjong.php
mahjong.wikidot.com/
tenhou.net/0/?L7447
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just learn the basic rules of the game

You don't. Mahjong isn't hard to learn.

I didn't know mahjong before I watched Akagi and still loved it. It was even better the second time I watched it after having learned the basics of mahjong.

There's a narrator and a guy sitting behind Akagi to explain his moves. If you still can't figure out what's going on you must be retarded.

What should I read first, Akagi or Ten?

I watched knowing nothing about it
it was still cool as shit

>I didn't know mahjong before I watched Akagi and still loved it
This.

Easy friend gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Try reading part 3 of Kaiji.

It was really bad for me for good portion of first half, but conclusion has little to do with mahjong rules. Though, it had to be mahjong to cheat like that.

Akagi. Ten is harder to follow.

Akagi isnt about the mahjong. Its about the reactions.

youtu.be/hXDVyD3wEDk

>says Akagi
>posts Washizu

learn gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

>Kakegurui gets an official english release
>Kaiji never will
Life is unfair. I just want to spend money to buy the Manga. I like fkmt trans but I still want to show m y gratitude to the creator.

You try to form a hand and get other players to place the tile you want in order to ron. Or if you draw a tile that would complete your hand a tsumo. The pizu and other stuff I don't get.

I just want physical copies I can actually read without having to learn another language.

so kinda like Poker but your hand is incomplete and you complete your hand either through draws or your opponents' discards?

>Never played Mahjong before
>understand the game because it's a domino version of Gin Rummy

I guess I really am the god of gambling.

That is what I got from watching the show and messing around with .
If you end up on reading the next Kaiji arc he play this simplified 17 step mahjong which is them make a hand and keep putting down a tile until one of them messes up and plays a tile the opponent needs.
Some of the stuff in Akagi is emphasis on big hand plays. Like the beginning where he plays with the Yakuza and cheats by taking a tile while the cops came. They are upset since he cheated and played such an outrageous hand.

It's a tile matching game, you make four pairs of sequences/triplets and a pair and depending on how difficult your combination/yaku is, you get more points. What download did you get? None of them will explain mahjong entirely to you but Triad's explains what's necessary to understand what's going on, e.g. how much of a shitslapper each character lays out when they ron.

>pizu
Pinzu? It's just the name of the pin tiles, you know these 1-9 tiles where the number is counted by a point.
See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong#Setup
Pin, Sou and Wan are just 1-9 tiles. Easy. You can make sequences of 3 with them (e.g. 123) to complete your hand or triplets (111). By the way, a complete hand is 14 tiles : 4 triplets (12) and 1 pair of identical tiles (2) = 14.

Now the last two types of tiles are called honor tiles. They're the Wind (North South East West) and Dragon (Chun, Xia, Pei) tiles and they're not numbered. You can't make sequences with them, only triplets and pairs.
Sounds bad? But they can be valuable because making a triplet of Dragon/Wind tiles adds value to your hand. That's the fun part.

To win in Mahjong you need to complete a 14 tiles hand with 4 triplets and 1 pair, sure. But you also need to fit a condition called yaku. If you don't, then you can't call Ron (win by opponent's discard) or Tsumo (win by drawing your last tile yourself).

Pic related shows all possibilities to get a yaku. The simplest ones
>Menzen tsumo : Tsumo with your hand concealed (don't Pon/Kan/Chi an opponent's discard)
>Riichi : call Riichi one tile away from victory (aka tenpai), which locks your hand and forces you to discard what you draw
>Yakuhai
>Tanyao : only 2-8 tiles and no honor tiles
>Pinfu : only sequences with 1-9 tiles and no honor tiles

>so kinda like Poker
Similar in some aspects, different in others, for example, 4 players try to form hands (or defend -- keeping tiles they think can be dangerous, or even playing into a specific player's hand -- instead, depending on the situation) with their draws or other players' discards; except for two specific "hands" (Kokushi Musou (1) and Chiitoitsu (2)), a "hand" is complete when you have a pair and four groups (each group can be a sequence of 3 tiles of one of the three sets -- man, pin, sou --, or a triple -- of any kind of tile, not just one of the three sets --, or a quadruple), however in order to declare a win with this hand, you need at least one "yaku" (most of the ones used are listed here ), yaku can stack upon each other, and their worth, although varied, is fixed (save for few exceptions which lose value when your hand becomes "open", or don't even exist when the hand is open), unlike Poker where you or your opponent can choose to raise. It's possible, though, to delay your win to improve your hand's value.

(1): a hand which has all of the "terminal" tiles (one "1" from each of the 3 sets, one "9" from each of the 3 sets, one of each wind tile -- East, South, West, North, respectively called Ton, Nan, Xia, Pei -- and one of each dragon/element tile -- White, Green and Red, respectively called Haku, Hatsu, Chun) plus one more "terminal" tile to complete 14 tiles
2) "Seven Pairs"

>but your hand is incomplete and you complete your hand either through draws or your opponents' discards?
yes, you have 13 tiles and the 14 tile that completes your hand can be a tile you draw (then you declare a win by "tsumo"), or a tile someone else discarded (then you declare a win by "ron"). You can speed up your hand's formation by calling tiles to form open triples (Pon), open quadruples (Kan), or open sequences (Chi), Chi can only be declared on the Kamicha's (the player to your left) discards, only the suit tiles can form sequences (not the wind tiles or dragon/element tiles). For each time you declare Kan, the amount of tiles you need to complete your hand will increase by one (this extra tile is obtained by drawing from the "dead wall", a place that specifically contains tiles to be drawn when someone declares a Kan; there's only 4 of them per round). There are disadvantages to calling from other players' discards though, such as losing/devaluing certain yaku, and not being able to declare riichi (which can only be done with a closed hand, and when you're one tile away from winning the round), which improves your hand's value, allows ippatsu (winning from ron or tsumo on the same turn after declaring riichi) and ura dora (tiles below dora indicators that serve as additional dora indicators -- dora tiles improve a hand's han value, which is used to determine a hand's worth, but dora tiles aren't yaku themselves, you still need at least one yaku to declare a win) in case of a win.

did i do wrong? or the game rule didn't recognize nagashi mangan?

The latter, that game doesn't recognize it nor does it have it (nagashi mangan) on the yaku list. Iirc it's an optional yaku, like renhou (winning by ron on the first turn), which this game does use and list.

>Don't know jack shit about Muh Jon aside from forming pairs and straights and shit like in poker
>Read through all of FKMT's works without issue
>Part 3 of Kaiji was my favorite

Not sure how much the Akagi animu differs (it's the only thing of his I haven't gotten around to yet) but given FKTM's tendency to explain the living fuck out of everything I can't imagine it could be that hard to follow.

global.bookwalker.jp/dedb38b242-da1d-4f93-aa32-3112bccc7632/
Here, feel free to buy the digital. Translation is good. I'll post the worst thing about it

>that feel when you will never play Mahjong IRL with people

Why is the same thing "xia" and "sha"? how to even pronounce it?

bigger cities of any country guaranteed to have a chinese muhjong club at least

Where do you live? You should check out the mahjong thread on /jp/ if you're interested.

You can't. Same with the shogi show.

Impressive

Is this confirmation bias, or has there been more Kaiji/Akagi threads lately?

I thought so too. I think it's due to Kakegurui reminding everyone gambling manga exists

Akagi is ending with Washizu mahjong completed already, and there are spoilers from Kaiji's long arc ending too. It's never for just one reason with these things.

How come there weren't this many FKMT threads a week or two ago?

How much mahjong do you really need to understand Ten and the like. I'm competent enough to beat Tenhou players some of the time but still don't know shit about strategy. I remember dropping Akagi years ago because Washizu was talking about fu scores too much to keep up.

there were. Lot's of small ones instead of big ass undeads like this weekend. It's cool either way. People coming to complain how Kaiji is not entirely about gambling but about Kaiji himself is fun too

Mahjong is a popular game in Japan. You're expected to know the rules because of this. It's why an American tv show about football has no explanation of the rules while Eyeshield 21 explains the rules every 5 minutes.

How many good Mahjong anime/manga are there?

I've watched Akagi 2 or 3 times and still don't know shit about mahjong and honestly couldnt give less of a shit

Also this.

I didn't know shit about mahjong but it was totally worth the watch.

>football
hand egg

You know, some people just enjoy music anime and some go pick up a guitar.
It's great either way.

Both are pronounced sha.

I only know the chinese version majong, can I watch Akagi?

fucking CGI
Penguin Posteriors".

Shogi isn't that hard to learn.

You don't even need to know mahjong to watch Akagi, so you're actually better off than most people.

You should at least read up on some of the different aspects, like riichi and dora.

Thank you.

Saki is pretty fun. But it's less psychological, more playing to/around special abilities and odd traits.

I went into Ten only knowing basics and I had a great time with it.
It explains every common, odd, or absolutely insane strategy everyone uses pretty thoroughly.

Look at this chill old man, he is not even the main character of his manga and still got the best fanservice prequel ever just for how charming he is.

I also don't know shit about mahjong but enjoyed Akagi.

Step 1 Watch Instruction video
youtube.com/watch?v=hlnC2rgIPrc

Step 2 Play Single Player
mahjongdragon.com/japanese-mahjong.php

Step 3 Watch Akagi and Saki simultaneously.

To be honest, going into Akagi already knowing everything about Mahjong would annoy the shit out of me with how much they explain it

SILENT THIS SIDE SILENT THIS SIDE SILENT THIS SIDE SILENT THIS SIDE SILENT THIS SIDE SILENT THIS SIDE SILENT THIS SIDE SILENT THIS SIDE

It's the weirdest fucking thing. I don't like this song, I really think it could be better on a technical level if they dropped the screaming but holy hell I listened to it so much and now i'm gonna play it again because of you

Step 4 See wiki for best combination to create your own strategy.
mahjong.wikidot.com/

Step 5 Realize that mahjong is luck based after a certain skill threshold. All these animes are just lying to you.

Step 6 ???

Step 7 Rinshan Kaihou!

Maybe not. The explanations fly by and it's not like it explains anything twice. You'd just be thinking
WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING
IS HE CRAZY
B-BAKANA HOW DID HE KNOW THAT TILE

The most weird part for me was these overreacting dudes behind players' backs. In the beginning I thought they are kind of 4,5 wall content just for the narration purposes, but the problem players sometimes react to their freaking out and interact with them. How the heck it's even playable like that?? That added a fair share of uhh metazawas? to my experience.

>tfw you'll never feel endless ejaculation
It's just not fair

Why is Akagi so sexy?

Confidence is the best thing a man can wear

come play on tenhou instead

I'm still a baby learning Yaku, not going to be on Tenhou for a while.

>Realize that mahjong is luck based after a certain skill threshold
Once you get past that threshhold there is some skill in it.
Not anywhere close to Akagi-level stuff, but you can mess with other people by doing odd waits. If your opponent is playing statistically, you can use a weird wait to target them specifically. This reduces their confidence in dealing into hands, reducing their aggression.
I do this to my friends.

>5 Akagi/Kaiji threads
NEWFAGS!!!#$!$

Better than having friends that could only play basterdized version of chink mahjong.

>odd waits
Only effective against beginners though.

Also have a lower chance of completion. Its a bad strategy, Akagi just make it look good with all the reaction images, sfx, and stuff.

Shit's easy

To think, just about 5 years ago all these treasures, besides subbed animoos were nihongo elite club only. Now people come and ask what is worth their time to read from Fukumoto. Weird fucking feeling

>I just want physical copies
what is a printer

Mahjong anons, should i watch Saki or is it just moe shit?

Saki was pretty moe shit but Nationals is pretty great since it's mostly actually playing Mahjong.

Watch it if you don't understand mahjong. It's not a show about mahjong, it's a show about power levels, lesbianism, and 'Hey I can pick the winning tiles that means I have skill'

It's just moe shit

I dropped it at ep 6 desu.

They're not even playing mahjong, it's just lesbians sitting at a table and cuts to the final score.

Do you prefer mahjong or the first 3 games in the kaiji anime?

Mahjong is my favorite part so far, Kaiji gets fantastic development in it with all these monologues.

Mahjong but I really like 1v1 mind game matches like One Poker and E-cards.

>all these Akagi threads lately
Just play Tenhou already.

tenhou.net/0/?L7447

you should, it's pretty fun in using power in the actual strategies after that it start being more mahjong heavy

I would also recommend to watch the Tohai drama, it's really good

Anyone recommending this piece of /u/ moe shit needs to stop and rethink their taste thoroughly.