Is code geass worth watching...

is code geass worth watching? i remember watching it like 10 years ago (i was 12) but i've forgotten pretty much everything about it except that i didn't like it and the main character had sharingan or something. should i go at it again with my smart adult brain?

Sick blog.

You've inspired me to rewatch it. I remember dropping it around the same time only I was about 20. That said, tastes and preferences can change a lot in 10 years so probably worth a retry.

Do it again with your brain that's still not over high school drama.

I re-watched the whole thing earlier this year. Probably the 4th or 5th time I've watched the whole thing all the way through.

It's by no means perfect but to this day I've never watched a show that does bombastic over the top antics so well even when it treads into the realm of absurdity within it's own already absurd universe. It's always fun to plow through it again.

The Dub is even okay if you want to change it up after watching the sub.

yeah

What?

Watched it a few times and thought it was just ok. I think my main problem is just the general tone taken into the overly exaggerated presentation and you'll know what I mean when it happens. Just watch the episodes when that psycho Mao is wreaking havoc in Lulu's life and you'll get a lot of it. I remember CC being a character with an interesting background and semi interesting personality but ever she's treated like fanservice from time and time again changing costumes that go from ok to ridiculous from episode to episode and holding soft animals or eating pizza hut for the sake of pandering. I think in one episode she was trying to get a taste of a huge pizza the school was making with a mech to top it off. Yeah, sometimes the show can be pretty ridiculous but I think it's some of the other things I mentioned that rubbed me the wrong way.

The mecha action is pretty fun to watch but some of the technological advancements were kind of out of place. I still think this was a good point to the show.

Watch it and make up your own mind.

> brain that's still not over high school drama.
And that's how you detect a freshman, gentlemen and gentlemen. They are the only ones who think that "maturing" is a real thing.

We're all just children in adult bodies acting like adults. We're dead if our inner child dies. Anime feeds the kid and the fucked up adult. Grab some gummy worms, ice cream and your daki printed with your waifu. Live in the moment, damnit. You only get so many chances.

Totally agree with the CC parts, I forced myself to keep watching and it was only worth it for the ending and because Lelouch was an interesting character. Too bad they're gonna ruin what made it memorable with a s3.

I'm not that far in. Really ridiculous and yet a bit boring at the same time.

Depends, Code Geass has smart writing but also has bullshit writing. Decide mostly on how much you like flashy and dramatic presentation.

>Should I watch one of Japan's top 10 anime of all time?
I dunno, OP. You tell me.

>An over dramatic show
>where everyone is a badass
>with extremely hot girls
>and fujoshit
>and magic
>with mechs
>and pseudo politics
>that happen in a school
>and everyone is british
>but it's in tokyo

Too many Code Geass threads and too many simple questions.

Watch it and see if you like it. I thought it was okay. Unrealistic as hell, but fun and with an interesting protagonist.

To address something from the other thread:

>If a show is trying as hard as CG to have the viewer take it seriously then it opens up serious critique.

This statement is pure bullshit because of its premise. There's a lot of ways, both small and large, in which Code Geass beats the audience over the head about how it isn't really all that serious to begin with. You'd think more people would realize this with the staff in-jokes and 2ch memes inserted into the show, but apparently some don't.

There's a difference between being dramatic and over-the-top, which is absolutely true, and being totally serious. Which is the opposite of what the show was going for.

People

*People who assume the show is trying to be super serious and super artsy must be blinder than Nunnally.

yes

dropped that crap after the bs with Euphemia

made my favorite character go crazy for no reason

screw code Geass

Nightmare of Nunnally is the only acceptable version of this show

Euphemia wasn't that great and she was doomed to fail. All the Geass did was made it happen faster, but there's no way she was going to survive in that situation

>There's a difference between being dramatic and over-the-top, which is absolutely true, and being totally serious. Which is the opposite of what the show was going for.
>First episode opens with slaughter of Japanese including killing a baby
>This is not taken lightly at all

gore/death =/= seriousness

A woman becomes a zombie and eats her baby in Jojo, dogs die in cruel and graphic ways, other people get killed including named characters.

But you would claim that's all serious.

You can stop now. We already think you're a jackass.

Baby murder was offscreen and gets interrupted by a cellphone call. That is taking is pretty lightly.

>We
Did you marry a princess? Tell me which one.

No its not. You don't have to show the massacre to get that the point of that scene isn't meant to be taken lightly.

Only partially, and that's even less if you don't ignore what it's preceded and followed up with.

Sup Forums has a eschewed vision of what Taniguichi and Okouchi wanted to do with Code Geass so all they do is riff on it without understanding the context of each scene. Which makes it all the more ironic when arguments over who was right got so heated.

No because what preceded it was death and followed by more death, the lightest moment was the school scene in the beginning of the episode.

>Sup Forums has a eschewed vision of what Taniguichi and Okouchi wanted to do with Code Geass

Except that these two are not all that dry and serious about their work. They've been quite vocal about how much of the project was pretty silly and hilarious even to them at times, so implying they were trying to make a masterpiece of serious drama would be stupid.

There's also Lelouch beating the noble ridiculous fast and leaving with a smug face, accidentally falling into the truck, Lloyd being himself, Suzaku making a spinkick, Shirley trying to phone Lelouch, guys killing themselves with a joker-style smile on their face, etc. But nah, it was all death and more death.

>Except that these two are not all that dry and serious about their work
>Infinite Ryvius
>Guilty Crown
>Planetes

>>Infinite Ryvius
There's more melodrama than jokes, but they do have sight gags with the dinosaur gal and other stuff. Very few people die.

>Guilty Crown
That was directed by Araki and written by Yoshino. Still, even that show had some gags with the void powers like the refrigerator guy.

>Planetes
A full episode of moon ninjas and lots of anime-only jokes say hi.

>Except that these two are not all that dry and serious about their work
Even something as goofy as Scryed had heavy shit in it, with a hefty body count and ends with the two protags trying to kill one another knowing that they don't have much to live. The bulk of Okouchi's catalog is filled with edgy shit and even made something as uplifting as 08th Team into a drama with rape as a plot point in the novels, on top of that he always try to input his anti-nationalistic themes in his work. Code Geass was stupid but took itself seriously despite all the amount downright idiotic scenes that plague it. Its just a mess but at know point there was a sense of irony in the script or the way scenes came off.

>There's more melodrama than jokes, but they do have sight gags with the dinosaur gal and other stuff.
That doesn't negate the fact that the series was largely serious and takes a turn for the dramatic in the second half. Its a fucking adaptation of Lord of the Flies which is far from a lighthearted work.
>That was directed by Araki and written by Yoshino
Okouchi was also in charge of the scripts and its conception not Yoshino in fact they were in the same positions they were when they worked on R2 together with Okouchi assuming the "co" role instead of Yoshino.

>Still, even that show had some gags with the void powers like the refrigerator guy.

Once again THAT DOES NOT NEGATE THE FACT THAT THE TONE OF THE STORY IS SERIOUS YOU DIPSHIT. Even Grave of the Fireflies had moments of comedy to lighten the move I GUESS THAT MEANS IT ISN'T A SERIOUS MOVIE ANYMORE. Fucking idiot.

>A full episode of moon ninjas and lots of anime-only jokes say hi.
Wow...one full episode. That totally negates the fact that the show deals with depression, abandonment, loss of faith , and the realization that the pursuit of your dreams can hurt you love ones.

>There's also Lelouch beating the noble ridiculous fast and leaving with a smug face
Not really light hearted moment just something that;s made to introduce us to his character being really smart
>accidentally falling into the truck
Why is this fnny
> Suzaku making a spinkick
In this too? His stupid spinkick didn't even become a meme until R2
>Shirley trying to phone Lelouch,
And?
>guys killing themselves with a joker-style smile on their face, etc
And this isn't light at all. Seriously do you just not know what a light moment is or are you just ignoring everything else about the episode?

>They've been quite vocal about how much of the project was pretty silly and hilarious even to them at times,
They've only stated that for a select few scenes where comedy was taking place not shit that spawned memes like Emperor Zoom, Spinzaku, etc. They both took this work very seriously as stated in many interviews where they explained why shit happened the way it did.

The point is that the mere presence of "heavy shit" does not make a show unable to recognize how silly it can be at the same time. Okouchi strikes me as more of a goof than edgy, even though there are events which can be called edgy. His attitude isn't like that of Mamoru Oshii or someone who really comes across as hyper-pretentious and self-important in interviews. He's more self-aware than that. Whatever themes there are in Code Geass doesn't suddenly make it a work where nobody found anything funny or desperately tried to avoid any appearance of hilarity. The idea that Code Geass took itself seriously can only ever be relative. Even the way the Pizza Hut ads were treated, complete with the delivery bike suddenly appearing, indicates that the show was having fun with itself. This is also confirmed by numerous materials with both main and supporting staff, so yes, there is quite a bit of irony and even farce in the show at times. Denying it is a sign of ignorance at best, and absolute foolishness at worst.

>They've only stated that for a select few scenes where comedy was taking place not shit that spawned memes like Emperor Zoom, Spinzaku, etc

It's funny you say that because these two examples prove precisely the complete opposite of what you're saying here about this subject.

The staff actually had a discussion about the part where the Emperor is going across the screen. They came to the conclusion what it was good for that sequence to be funny, hence that's why it remained.

Suzaku's moves were never intended to be considered as realistic. They knew real people can't move like him. Subsequently, they make light of it all over the place including the picture dramas.

>They both took this work very seriously as stated in many interviews where they explained why shit happened the way it did.

They took some ideas seriously, but not the show as a whole. So not as much as you think. Explaining something doesn't mean they had no sense of fun or self-amusement when silly things occurred.

>The point is that the mere presence of "heavy shit" does not make a show unable to recognize how silly it can be at the same time
That makes no fucking sense. Scryed separated its goofy moments from its serious ones. A show is always going to have moments of comedy to lighten the mood that doesn't suddenly mean its going to switch genres

> Okouchi strikes me as more of a goof than edgy,
He's only a good to you because most of his works are profoundly stupid doesn't make it intention or that he's trying to be ironic with the only exception being VVV where it was clear he was just taking the piss out of it.

>Whatever themes there are in Code Geass doesn't suddenly make it a work where nobody found anything funny or desperately tried to avoid any appearance of hilarity.
Where did I say that Code Geass had no moments of comedy? It does it just doesn't overtake the show like you're implying which seems to be that a serious shows can't have light moments in them.

>The idea that Code Geass took itself seriously can only ever be relative
Because it did take itself seriously and for most people that's why it was so appealing there was no "wink wink nudge nudge" to the audience or moments where Okouchi was taking a piss out of the scenery, if the show was every ironic then scenes such as Emperor Zoom wouldn't have been as impactful its why VVV sucked because it was clear that the show was never taking itself seriously.

> Even the way the Pizza Hut ads were treated
Once again there was nothing funny or particularly ironic about how the ads were there since the characters themselves barely even acknowledge the fact that what they're eating is Pizza Hut, its only funny in some retarded meta sense in regards to anime production it doesn't mean anything in-universe for the cast.

>This is also confirmed by numerous materials with both main and supporting staff, so yes, there is quite a bit of irony and even farce in the show at times
Cool bullshit bro.

>It's funny you say that because these two examples prove precisely the complete opposite of what you're saying here about this subject.
Not really, where in universe are those scenes written to be funny other than an inside joke for fans?

>The staff actually had a discussion about the part where the Emperor is going across the screen. They came to the conclusion what it was good for that sequence to be funny, hence that's why it remained.

This has never been proven at all.

>Suzaku's moves were never intended to be considered as realistic. They knew real people can't move like him. Subsequently, they make light of it all over the place including the picture dramas.

And this also isn't true.

>They took some ideas seriously, but not the show as a whole. So not as much as you think.
Actually they did, but continue to grasp for those straws.

Evidently Infinite Ryvius is arguably the most serious of all those shows, but even that is not deadly serious from beginning to end. It's actually a very liberal anime adaptation of Two Years' Vacation (1888) by Jules Verne, which is explicitly credited, and not Lord of the Flies. People are simply more familiar with the latter these days. It's also quite like Vifam. Either way, Ryvius is definitely not as dark as Lord of the Flies.

>Okouchi was also in charge of the scripts and its conception not Yoshino

Nope, it's the other way around. Yoshino and Araki came up with the story. They invited Okouchi to play the role that Yoshino had in CG. That's why Okouchi even literally says on the official website that it was fun to reverse their positions for GC. Saying "it's the same position as R2" ignores that the "co-" is a deputy, an advisor, and thus not the main person responsible.

If you're bring Grave of the Fireflies as a point of comparison, which is nothing like any of the series under discussion, then that's definitely reaching.

No, it's not just one episode. There are various anime original characters who show up for the same of injecting comedy into the proceedings. The moon ninja episode is simply the most absurd example, yet that doesn't make the rest of the show dry and serious to the bone. It does have that theme you described, indeed, but that doesn't eliminate the way Lavie and others act.
It's at most 60% serious, 40% not and that's being generous with the figures. "Taking a turn for the dramatic" doesn't mean seriousness either. Mao was seen and treated as a joke by the creators in pretty much every episode he showed up, even though he also had that drama with Shirley.

>His stupid spinkick didn't even become a meme until R2
Only if you go by Sup Forums and ignore how they talked about it inside Japan and on its boards

It is pretty light. Nobody acts like that in real life.

>Evidently Infinite Ryvius is arguably the most serious of all those shows, but even that is not deadly serious from beginning to end
And evidently you haven't watched which you've proven over and over again
>It's actually a very liberal anime adaptation of Two Years' Vacation (1888) by Jules Verne, which is explicitly credited, and not Lord of the Flies.
Wrong again retard. Taniguichi explicitly stated that it was inspired by Lord of the Flies IT EVEN FUCKING ENDS THE SAME WAY BEAT TO BEAT.

>Yoshino and Araki came up with the story. They invited Okouchi to play the role that Yoshino had in CG.
Wrong again retard. The story and scripts were done by Okouchi and Yoshino, the co- doesn't mean anything since he has just as much writing credit as Yoshino and wasnt "called in" like you're implying

>If you're bring Grave of the Fireflies as a point of comparison, which is nothing like any of the series under discussion, then that's definitely reaching.
Nope because it destroys your argument you stupid bitch. Code Geass is a show with themes that tackle racism, genocide, nationalism all in a serious matter there is no fucking refuting this claim by pointing out that its tonally a mess.

>stuff
Yeah I know PTSD is so fucking funny.

>Mao was seen and treated as a joke by the creators in pretty much every episode he showed up
Yeah sure he was that;s why his story is so traumatic and was a catalyst to the most dramatic moment in the entire show.

I wouldn't call Scryed incredibly serious either. It's essentially a shonen jump-style anime with obvious references to Jojo and basically ripping off the Stand concept for the Alters. The fact they do kill off certain characters doesn't change that it's for children and teenagers, not for mature folks.

No, it's because even Okouchi jokes about his own works. VVV was hardly any different. If you really think he takes every stupid thing in his projects seriously and never laughs, then you are simply projecting and ignoring how he talks about them in both print and audio form.

Code Geass is a melodrama, a soap opera. There is a lot of drama, yes, but it's portrayed in exaggerated fashion and with comedy even in serious scenes, not with the outmost respect and total dryness you seem to assume they were trying to go for. It's easily half serious and half farcical as a whole.

Lloyd, Orange and other characters do wink at the audience at various points during Code Geass in either season. The whole concept of "Lulu quality" exists because despite Lelouch being such a serious person who'd rather have his revenge without distractions, the show openly or implicitly makes a mockery out of him almost as much as it lets him be cool. In other words, there was amusement value in seeing him suffer, both in small ways like with the cat and in larger ways like when he is trolled by Mao, not only in cheering him on in straightforward fashion.

Once again, the Emperor Zoom scene wasn't taken seriously by the staff. It's no secret, they've said as much. Even Charles himself was partially a known joke about the staff, from his bulky, curly-haired character design and booming voice onward.

Just having ads in the background doing nothing wouldn't be funny. But they didn't stop at that. They included Cheese-kun and did things with the ads, like plastering them on a windshield on an episode of R2, that Pizza Hut never asked for.

>Not really, where in universe are those scenes written to be funny other than an inside joke for fans?

Ah, but that's the thing I've been saying. It's funny for the fans and for the people who created the episode knowing that we would also go a bit nuts with the scene. It's not about being funny for Lelouch or Suzaku, which it isn't. It's intended to be fuel for meta humor, which is something that Code Geass did several times, rather than the staff stumbling around without realizing it.

It's on the commentaries. Go check them out.

It's true though. Even in interviews quoted here a few times and culminating with Nunnally in Wonderland.

I checked the commentary and interviews and those scenes never get brought up as being funny, considering in those commentaries they even make fun of characters dying in the Black Rebellion it doesn't mean anything

BS. It's a teenage drama, not a tragedy nor a horror piece.

Why do you lie? Taniguchi never said it was like Lord of the Flies and in fact, the Japanese pages all mention Two Years Vacation so you're acting like a grand old fool here.

Okouchi wrote 6 episodes out of 22 and gave some advice to Yoshino about the story, but he didn't come up with it himself. This is all public knowledge. "Just as much writing credit" is only what someone who hasn't looked at the official website nor the booklets would say.

It has all those themes, to a degree, but the main goal was always popular entertainment and not to blind us with its genius. Code Geass is not trying to do that. It's significantly more humorous and even self-cynical on occasion than what a straight, super serious drama would be.

Mao's sob story is given very little time. More is spent on him clapping and mocking Lelouch, or vice versa.

>I checked the commentary and interviews and those scenes never get brought up as being funny,

It was though. It's right there on the commentary for episode 21 of R2 so you're obviously checking nothing.

>I wouldn't call Scryed incredibly serious either.
Never said it was serious dumbfuck

>No, it's because even Okouchi jokes about his own works.
Nope

>VVV was hardly any different.
Actually it was because he didn't try at all and the serious moments also had a distinct feel of irony to it which weren't in CG

>Code Geass is a melodrama, a soap opera.
>not with the outmost respect and total dryness you seem to assume they were trying to go for
Oh I see you're just a retard who don't know the difference between a serious work and a comedic one so you twist soap opera with comedy. It makes complete sense why nothing you write males sense.

>Lloyd,
Was just an eccentric
>Orange
Was a joke in universe not a play at the audience expense.

>stuff
Nice headcanon but everything you wrote is fabrication

>Once again, the Emperor Zoom scene wasn't taken seriously by the staff. It's no secret, they've said as much
Its no secret because what you're saying is bullshit

>They included Cheese-kun and did things with the ads, like plastering them on a windshield on an episode of R2, that Pizza Hut never asked for.
And once again none of that is meant to induce comedy they're just ads and it certainly doesn't help your case that the cast don't even acknowledge it so you're grasping pretty hard for straws

Yes we know you haven't watched it hence why you fabricate bullshit

>Taniguchi never said it was like Lord of the Flies and in fact, the Japanese pages all mention Two Years Vacation
Yeah speaking of lying

>but he didn't come up with it himself
Wrong again retard also he over saw the scripts for each episode. No matter how much you make up bullshit he was a huge part of the writing on that show

>It has all those themes, to a degree,
>to a degree
Its the fucking basis of the entire show dumbass. You're just wrong kid. No matter how much you try to downplay it by showing a few moments of comedy it was still largely dramatic.

>Mao's sob story is given very little time.
So you admit you don't even watch the show
Still lying I see

Season 1 was great. Than season 2 was terrible and borderline unwatchable. So watch it for Season 1 then decide if it is worth it to see the ending.

>Anybody else agree with me that Season 1 good, Season 2 bad?

>We

>Still lying I see

Season 2 was watchable. Just dumb a lot of the time. It has been surpassed in both areas though

t

>i remember watching it like 10 years ago
>main character had sharingan or something
How can you forget what exactly his power was? That's something I wouldn't forget after 10 years.