youtube.com/watch?v=CpP_IL3xA2c
youtu.be/OwIZLdclRws
youtu.be/jOTFEL4fjX4
youtube.com/watch?v=KmstpVHMeBY
youtube.com/watch?v=jOTFEL4fjX4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Umm, sweetie...
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TranslationConvention

But then there are anime with whole scenes completly in english and the producers hired actual english VA's.

And then there's anime like Itazura Na Kiss with cringey broken english scenes throughout the whole second half of it

I would much rather all the foreigners speak Japanese than have some poor Japanese VA mangle whatever language they're supposed to be speaking.

Yeah, like, 3. So?

Japanese people speaking English should automatically lead to a show being tagged as comedy. Zankyou no Terror was fucking horrible, but the VAs trying to hold conversations in English made it worth the time.

I remember the time when in Index 2 Tonka and Index went to Italy, and I have this very vivid memory of this random woman speaking Italian with a very very thick Japanese accent to them, then Ursula finding them and doing p much the same thing with the woman
I found it discomforting and almost painful

asuka's German was pretty decent tho

You mean they went out onto the street and cast the first gaijin English teacher they could find, regardless of acting ability?
If ""professional"" western VAs want to be taken seriously, they should at least be trying to make some kind of partnership or network for this kind of shit.

>asuka's German was pretty decent tho
Surely you're thinking of the English dub. I don't know a word of German outside of strudel and bratwurst, but Miyamura's German was very stilted.

Why doesn't Index have a British accent? Mostly around the scouser area?

or anime with scenes in broken English done by Japanese VA's
like the parts of Kin-Iro Mosaic in Britain

>MC travels to America
>everybody speaks broken Engrish

>videogame takes place in a random country in Europe
>everyone has an english accent

The average american reads and writes at like a 5th grade level.

Space Brothers does this. But it also kind of implies they're talking in English when talking to people of other nationalities.

It's the worst when they introduce the characters as native speakers of a language that they've spoken their whole lives.
Absolutely immersion shattering.
I mean, I get that some VAs that speak passable english deliberately speak phonetically so Japanese audiences can understand easier since the foundation of their English language education is still katakana based for God knows what reason. If the purpose of the English was to add a layer of immersion, I feel like the best solution is still to just speak Japanese, since engrish is obviously not going to cut it.

English is bad, but German is the worst. French is passable to be honest. The few times Ive heard a native Japanese person speak French on screen it didnt really sound bad. But German, holy hell.

Absolute highlight of English, though
youtube.com/watch?v=FUgQNF127Cg

With Spanish at least, it worked out in Sakurar Quest. Hina Logi also has a good segment with some native Russian speakers cast.

You clearly haven't been in America long enough.

Go to a local mall and people watch and you hear broken English spoken very frequently.

>foreign character
>can't pronounce their own fucking name

KUROE REMAIRU DESU YO ^q^

Still the best
youtube.com/watch?v=7x39Jp-z61M

Harsh but true.

POST FINÉ SPEAKING ENGLISH

> Characters open with broken english to show they're speaking english
> They switch to native Japanese for the audience
> Another character listens in
> He hears the group talking in broken english
> Says in perfect native english "I can't understand a damn word!

This should be a problem only if the guy traveling understands without them telling you he can actually understand that language. For the rest of the cases it is a matter of common sense that they are using their own language.

>mc travels to your country
>everyone is black

youtube.com/watch?v=SsKp4sITALc

Nothing beats this.

>That portion of Major when Goro first moved to the US and they had pretty much everything in English until he learned the language and then it went back to Japanese

Worse shit ever

Japanese people speaking japanese is easier than japanese people speaking english

but english is the easiest language

>engrish
>not spanglish

>mc travels to space
>everyone is still speaking in english

That's because of the Japanese empire that conquered the world and taught those savages the best language.

Its understandable for anime with pitiful budgets but when hollywood or gaming industry makes a ww2 movie/game where the germans speak english in a shitty german accent it's pitiful.

Even with animes shitty budgets how expensive is it to hire few english va's to do some lines like for K-on London trip?

That's some of the best engrish tho.

>hollywood or gaming industry
Pretty sure those German accents are on purpose to the audience can understand. It's already an established trope and since when do they go for realism? Not often

at least it's understandable with english, but the few times they try spanish it's fucking horrible, despite the fact that spanish and japanese share phonetics

>MC travels to America
>everyone spouts one English word and revert back to speaking Japanese

Japanese VAs pretending they're foreigners is the best.

youtube.com/watch?v=7x39Jp-z61M

>american in anime
>FUCKIN SHIT THIS HAMBURGER IF FUCKING GOOD! FUCK!

youtube.com/watch?v=9F5p1_hR2Ws
youtube.com/watch?v=NR87bCZ0zCU
I love every time Revy tries to speak English.

Well, there are animes where your dick turns in a spiked tentacle monster and chokes you to death, but it isn't the norm.

"its like oishii in my mouth"

>HEY
>JAPONAISE GIRL
And somewhere in the background
>FUCK

Best fucking thing I've seen. It's beautiful.

>not watching superior dub

youtube.com/watch?v=3rxVQe8vtOI

Dubs are better in this series. I can't fucking stand that part where Balalaika speaks broken Russian or Revy's sketchy ass English.

>mc travels to a new world
>everyone still follows japanese customs

youtube.com/watch?v=b5PB4Xw1dAQ
Man the dub for this series is incredible.

>I've got to get to Liverpool!
Fucking Irishmen.

youtube.com/watch?v=CpP_IL3xA2c
It's barely comprehensible and I would never know it's German if it weren't made obvious.

Lori a cute

>mc isekais to a world where rooms are filled with tables and chairs and houses are designed to be heated with brick fireplaces
>"If I start selling kotatsus ill make millions

My fucking god man dont remind me I can still hear it when I try to fall asleep at night.

>scouser index
I'd watch it. Would probably still need subs

youtu.be/OwIZLdclRws

The best English in anime I've heard was in DMC and that was just fucking swearing.

youtu.be/jOTFEL4fjX4

Pretty hard to top Beck's Engrish.

It's so fucking cringe-worthy. As a native German this just hurts.

actual German here, never heard such a strong accent in my life, however the words were pronounced correctly except for Linksneigung

>nobody dialect that probably developed in an attempt to make the retarded feel better about themselves
>'actual german'

*barks in Australian*

youtube.com/watch?v=KmstpVHMeBY

youtube.com/watch?v=jOTFEL4fjX4

why would I claim to have another nationalty?

a dialect isn't a nationality, g*rm

>actual German
that's a nationality, never said anything about dialect

I mean you say that but it used to mean exactly that.

>H
>R
>R

Genshiken English was pretty neat.

Someone hasn't seen Eden of the East.
>a bbw black policewoman will never ask you to pull your pants down so she can get a look at your johnny

They speak better English than the English.

What is Linksneigung even supposed to mean?

>when the language is grammatically perfect but is pronounced in the worst possible way
Durarara's Russian will never stop killing me.

>foreign-looking characters speak broken English
>they're not actually foreigners, they're Japan-born and merely pretending

Neigung means "tilt"
links is "left"
by the way I just rewatched that clip and only now noticed that the German translation is wrong looks like someone used google translate back than

The real pain is when Japanese people try to speak Russian.
>violent Durarara flashbacks

Or you know how the fuck are the japs supposed to understand it when they are watching the raw

>Sushi shop

Like most Scandinavians in real life?
Though I supposed that might be a side effect of their inborn autism. They probably just start stuttering the moment they meet someone new for the first time.

>>foreign-looking characters speak broken English

Consider the following: they might not be Amerilards or Britburkas even if they are not half japs pretending to be foreign.