Why is manga such a poor medium for horror?

Why is manga such a poor medium for horror?

a) its cartoons and therefore hard to self insert
b) they lack audio queues
c) cartoons generally are horrible at it, there isnt a single anime that should have an effect on you that is equal to a horror movie

Books do horror well and there's no audio queues.

books are also left to your imagination

I mean, apart from the fact that they really dont they also lack pictures that narrate the situation for you. Look at the picture you used in the OP as an example. This isnt scary, its just silly, and that applies to almost all drawn form of horror. Its a situation that makes something scary, so silly drawn imagery basically diverts your attention away from imagining something scary to look at something that really isnt.

Most horror lately is jumpscares/gore.

cant jump scare without sounds. also difficult to have a punchline on a medium that preempts itself (you can see 2 pages worth of panels at once, despite chronological order being 1 panel at a time)

either way, ito's work is exceptionally frightening despite this

fuan no tane is some creepy ass shit though

need dat atmosphere

post THAT spooky manwha

The less is revealed the greater the horror.
This is why books and paintings are better media for the fear of the unknown.
Jumpscares are not horror by the way.

>Why is manga such a poor medium for horror?
>Says this while attaching a picture of a great horror manga
wow sure not bait great thread friend

I thought Gyo was legitimately creepy, I finished the whole thing in two days I was so drawn in,

I think it's the visual aspect.
While it allows a portrayal of a subject of horror that books do not, it does as a result allow the reader as much time as they need to observe the subject and come to terms with it, which is overall detrimental to the sense of horror it should be trying to invoke.

A massive part of it is that you are setting the pace when you read the manga, as opposed to the person who made that story. Most people watching anime or a film understand, even if only on a subconscious level, that they're not supposed to pause the action because the creator intended it to be viewed in a very particular way that shapes your emotions. Junji Ito's manga are so effective because they can be read at as slow a pace as you want and they'll still freak you out. Junji gives you horrifying concepts, not merely events, that follow the characters around at all times. You're trapped in a cursed area of Japan where anything that takes the form of a spiral could kill you or those you love, cause inexplicable and destructive phenomena, or turn someone into a monster. There is literally evil geometry around you that could ruin anything and everything at any time and nobody has any idea how this is happening; you are locked in a quantum superstate between Hell and normalcy.

Go read Junji Ito's stuff if you don't want to sleep tonight.

Fuan no tane is godly.

That's because Ito knows that you can't do the same type of horror as books or movies does and gives what manga (and by extension all comics and media that mostly use still images to tell it's story) does best at horror: Horribly impossible images combined with an alien explanation. Books let your imagination do the horror it while Ito specializes in creating something so surreal and disgusting looking that when looking at it even with context you still can't wrap your head around it (as with the OP picture) and much like the campy spooky monsters from Carpenter's the Thing it might look silly and even cool upon further inspection. Ito also is able to weave what most hollywood horror types fail to do, which is inserting a subtle societal commentary into it that isn't just the monster itself (such as zombies=consumers look at how smart I am) or not even having a damned connection to real world in the first place (like World War Z zombies who are just a less interesting variation on the gray goo scenario in that pg-13 garbage). For example without even thinking about it any further Gyo is just a story of weird cages trapping people and sticking tubes in their butts instead of what it commented on or what symbolism it had....besides the cages sticking tubes in people's butts.

Are we going to pretend that hollywood horror movies and whatnot are legitimately scary?

I think I can feel more uneasy watching/reading anime/manga than movies because with anime it's just fictional pictures where "visual effects" works perfectly within their own world (someone getting impaled FEELS like is getting impaled because the environment and everything flows with it), when I watch horror movie I can't help but see how cheap something looks or how "CGI" it feels.

Also, japanese horror is not exactly supposed to jumpscare you, but rather it's more of a grotesque concept/scenario that you would find disturbing to be into, for example in Franken Fran it has a lot of disturbing things but it's not really "scary" per se, I would even say it's more of a ironic type of horror, something that makes you feel uneasy but not scared.

I mean, certainly more than any form of cartoon.

I wouldn't say that Ito's works are that frightening. They generally have some brilliant concepts and are very addictibg to read but the only one that actually made me scared was Hanging Balloons.

If you weren't horrified by fart-harvesting zombie robots then it's because you were fapping to it.

Is Devilman horror? I don't find the cartoony demons scary, but I was on the edge of my seat during the last volume. What a ride.

It lacks impact

No sounds. The real horror is music.

Devilman was exciting because of how deranged it became. The violent images came faster and more intense every chapter.

It needs more work.

Have you read Biomeat? That manga is genuinely disturbing.

because when you compare them to an actual decent medium for the genre it lacks the quintessential aspect of horror, the generation and anticipation of fear. manga can only convey so much, they have to hold the reader's hand through the experience and have to attempt to generate fear through a static visual medium and more often than not only succeed in making the one consuming it merely uncomfortable.