My Hero Mediocrity

How bad is it really? Is there any unique or redeeming things about it?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/heroaca_anime/status/898832307078836228
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I suppose the abhorrent pacing is unique

It's a good story about heroes. People here hate it because they've read two shounen stories before and think everything is a copy of Naruto or Bleach and will ruin their childhood if they exist.
It's not bad. It's unique in it's core plot. Our hero is promised to be the most powerful, but is a broken hero who is actually learning through mistakes that seem righteous.

>Shounen anime that turns many shounen tropes on themselves is mediocre

I bet you like moeshit.

Pretty bad.

Only redeeming thing is lack of sameface and the author being careful about making stupid mistakes but none of that matters if the series lacks its own flavor.

>hurr durr gb2/v/

So I'll take that as a yes.

What do you mean it lacks it's own flavor?

>abhorrent pacing
how many shonen action anime have a tournament arc that is fully resolved without interruption (a la chuunin exam) in less than a single season? actually curious.

First season was kinda decent, overall its just sucks.

Nobody fucking dies the series.
It is however the best show for waifus.

It has some problems. The pacing is weird. It has this inconsequential feeling to it. I think the school structure actually puts a heavy limit on the kinds of stories that can be told. I also get the impression that Horikoshi really wants to be like Oda and churn out unique characters like it's nothing, and I think the story takes a hit because of it. Just a theory.

Thighs: Healthy. Girls are all Top Tier. Horikoshi's art is so pleasing to look at. I've never felt that way before about a battle shounen. I could just flip through a book of Ochako floating around or Stain looking like a ninja turtle. Something else that I like about it is that it's unquestionably heroic. Horikoshi doesn't give a fuck about giving villains sob stories just so you can feel bad for them right before they get their ass kicked. In fact, the one villain who has an ideology that even heroes find appealing, is actually treated as doing more harm than good for society. It reminds me of the reemergence of Marxism in the West. The primary antagonist gets called out as a butthurt manchild right at the beginning, too, which is nice. Something else that I really like is the kids feel like real kids I went to school with: the alt chick who always has her earphones on, the studious preppy girl with a fragile self-esteem, the cute boy who's kind of autistic, the big socially anxious ugly guy, the dorky nice guy jock, the short perverted Jew, etc. Others feel like Internet personalities, like the troll who uses smugness to cover up his own insecurities. Another thing I like is that I often genuinely feel bad for characters and I don't know what to attribute this to. When a character finds themselves in a socially uncomfortable situation where they kinda' sorta' betrayed their friends or just realized what a loser they are, I really feel for them. It's sort of like everyone has a little Chopper in them. I also love that everyone thinks the Rival is a tool and his hatred of the MC is sad.

As an addendum: I would say that if Naruto was Dragon Ball with Krillin as the MC, then BnHA is Naruto with Rock Lee as the MC. And All Might is Might Guy. Horikoshi actually goes through several scenes that were very obviously inspired by Naruto, but then plays it up for laughs and/or goes the opposite direction with it. Take that for what it's worth.

>mina
My nigga. Only change i would like in her is the purple skin it has in the sketches. Or was it just fan made?

>the one villain who has an ideology that even heroes find appealing, is actually treated as doing more harm than good for society

Could tou please tell me who are you referring to? Is it ninja turtle-blood paralyzing guy? Just spoil it.

Phenomenal show. Normies are already trying to claim it.

It has one of the worst protagonists in popular shonen.

Hunter x hunter did that twice.

This is the umpteenth time ive seen this thread.
>one guy trying to force hivemind

>daily is boku no hero thread
This is getting a little suspicious

>If you don't like battle shounen you must like CGDCT
Why do people do this?

It has good art and good animation, being Bones. If that's all you care about, it's solid. Otherwise, it has pretty bland characters, powers, writing, and just about everything else. It's sort of like if you took X-Men, but oversimplified all the mutant powers and made the protagonist a kid with an inferiority complex. It's not awful, it's just so mediocre that I don't know why people love it/hate it as much as they do.

yeah, it's the same song and dance whenever you criticize battle shounen or "manime" or something.
it also reveals to me they think anything of a certain genre or art style is bad or can't be more compelling which just makes me think they don't actually like anime and manga.

It has pretty memorable character design and an abundance of good waifus who never stoop to moeblob level. The art in the manga is top tier in some aspects. The animation in the anime is fluid and matches the manga artstyle. I don't remember seeing any aggregious animation fuckups or inconsistencies.

Can someone explain where this
>pacing
shit comes from? For a fucking shounen its pacing is decent, imo.

>mediocre
This word doesn't really mean anything anymore does it?

Starts out interesting. Ended up being boring & pointless later on. Random bouts of long irrelevant talking is mixed in with fights without any real stake.
Likely meant for a young boy demographic.

>waifus
Fuck off and kill yourself.

>good waifus
>>>/MAL/
>>>/facebook/

Hello! Welcome to Sup Forums! Enjoy your stay!

What the fuck else do you expect from modern Sup Forums? This place has been shit for years, user.

Honestly I like it. I feel like the best thing about it is the characters. The heroes are honest and upright good guys which is refreshing in the sea of generic jaded chunni shits.

>good waifus
kys yourself

It means it doesn't stand out. Which, aside from the art in the manga and the animation in the anime, it doesn't. And even in those cases, it's not a masterpiece, it's just better than average. But people hail it as the greatest shounen of all time for some inexplicable reason.

Right back at you, retard. "Waifu" does not mean "anime girl."

As soon as I got to Overhaul's arc I really got sucked in. Other than that, it's a slow but steady start.

>It means it doesn't stand out.
According to you? For something that sure doesn't stand out it gets a lot of fanfare

Sup Forums is ridiculously contrarian and anons think they'll gain cool kid points by hating whatever is popular. Sup Forums isn't even nearly the worst board either, go to Sup Forums to hear about how every well received album is shit or go to /lit/ to hear about how every great novel of the last 200 years is shit.

wait thers no episode tomorrow

user, you just quoted him giving a definition of the fucking word.

Every girl in this franchise is a moeblob.

>wait thers no episode tomorrow
>no episode
What? Fuck. Now what am I gonna do tomorrow

>What am I going to do instead of watch one twenty-minute episode?

It's actually really fun.
Deku is an amazing protagonist, instead of remaining steady he actually has a lot of development that can be notice of you compare him to the early chapters. Deku has grow a lot in less than a year.
In general it has many flaws that look huge if you cherry pick them, but compared to the good thing it has going (Ex: Both Deku and Shiggy are growing and getting better at the same time) they are almost unnoticed while reading the manga.

In terms of plot is really simple: "Deku has to become the next symbol of peace" that for a shonen series is enought as a main objective.
In terms of characters,i love almost every design hori has done till now and i like that he is taking the time to develop every single one of the 1-A class students, while not losing the focus of Deku as our main character.
I would like to know more about the world of heroes outside of Japan, that's one of the flaws that i think it should be and can be fixed, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd year of tha A-class we may get to know a little more of the outside world or about the top heroes of other countries, but for know, it's a flaw.

Overall i would say it's pretty good and fun 8/10, thanks for reading my blog

the whole point is to watch Deku grow and be a likable mc

1. good villains, as in good design and legit scary at times. I like the idea of grooming the heir to the "king" of villains
2. side characters are given proper treatment, i.e. plenty of focus and development. there are many of them too not just 3 or 4. The main villain is also given much development and growth

the only thing i hate about this series is the kakashi clone homeroom teacher.

S-sauce?

Why does everyone hate best boy?

>World of heroes outside JP
I see some people saying this a lot, and I don't get it, or rather, I'd say they don't get it. Worldbuilding doesn't mean taking one shallow aspect (in this specific case, heroism as a career) and see how it is applied anywhere else; establishing laws and norm is worldbuilding, establishing how some events (quirk appearance, some antagonist's actions) affected the setting is worldbulding. I'll say something has a good worldbuilding if one can take the story apart, reduce it into its underlying rules, reassemble it into a vastly different story in the same setting, and it still works

Like AoT, it's an okay shounen anime that is ruined by a shitty fujoshit fanbase that spammed nearly every gay doujin out there.

There's like 10 Deku shouta doujins for 1 frog doujin.

Food Wars is lucky to escape this stigma for some reason.

How can you say it doesn't stand out when it clearly does?

Jesus christ Sup Forums the amount of depressed manchildren who have to unleash all their anger and sorrow on an image board here is disturbing.

>Food Wars is lucky to escape this stigma for some reason.
Because instead of fujoshits its just waifufaggotry also the manga just got really boring an unengaging

There is a lack of parallel intrigues and a lot less plot twists and such, but the balance of scenaristic elements and the good pacing make it a good manga as itself, what makes it stand out is the characters that are very well written.
So you'll find this show bad basically if you have no empathy or are Shinji Ikari irl.

>Food Wars
You seriously need to go back. But what should've I've expected in a thread for battle shounen garbage considering who it attracts?

Mediocre as fuck.
It does everything Naruto invented or popularized but worse.
It stands out because most of the competitors are utter shit and most long running series ended.
Shit world, utter shit villains, majority of the cast is shit.

The good points: All Might is a Jewel of character, frog girl is ok, Deku is not another obnoxious carefree cliché main.

No explanation of origin of quirks/world, no deep villains, Shoto and Bakugo are bad attempts of Sasuke Uchihas, the rest of the cast is hardly worth mentioning.

Doesn't hold a candle compared to DBZ, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, Samurai x, etc.
It borderlines Toriko, Hitman Reborn, Fairy Tail levels of mediocre.

>what makes it stand out is the characters that are very well written
You have pretty low standarts then.

>DBZ
Oh, user.

You sure are doing your best to fit in.

>Food Wars
That partially animated movie starring Charlie Sheen?

>Not watching it 10 times back to back
Please leave

DBZ is literally the #1 shonen.

You sure told him user

DBZ is kind of interesting until after that first Freeza fight and becomes a total shit afterward.

You know for a shounen series Sup Forums calls mediocre you guys sure are bad at putting your points across

>So you'll find this show bad basically if you have no empathy or are Shinji Ikari irl.
amazing.

twitter.com/heroaca_anime/status/898832307078836228

They always are and from the writing style its mostly one guy here shitting on boku no hero with no arguments whatsoever. Thread started nice people posted reasonable arguments and now its over.

Not him, but when the guy he's responding to literally just said "they're very well-written," do you really expect him to go into detail to refute that completely vague and groundless claim?

The good thing about it is it's pretty much a way better shonen manga than Bleach and Naruto. Like by a lot.

>The good thing about it is that it's a lot better than these terrible series
That's a hell of a way to try and praise something, user.

And that post he responded was good at it? Is scenaristic even a word?

Why the fuck would I go in details when the guy who I reply to doesn't. Nevermind the fact that he resorts to no true scotsman to argue why his manga is good.

>he resorts to no true scotsman
That's not no true scotsman. It's a shitty fucking argument, but it's not no true scotsman, which is "No X does Y because anyone who does Y doesn't count as X."

>hasn't seen it
>calls it mediocre
sasuga Sup Forums

>So you'll find this show bad basically if you have no empathy or are Shinji Ikari irl.
Let me rephrase that point of his for you
>No one who has empathy will find the show bad.
>Becose anyone who will, doesn't cound as a person who has empathy.

He probably did but the majority of people calling a show shit haven't seen it thats fucking true. So many people calling JoJo shit because they judge it by its cover.

He didn't make that second step yet, though.

It's implied by the sentence though, no?

progress is progress

No, only sadists who like watching a child repeatedly break his limbs like it.

>do you really expect him to go into detail to refute that completely vague and groundless claim?
Why is it groundless? Usually if you disagree with a claim you're suppose to make a point that details why he is wrong not respond with a non-squinter.

Tell me how this turns shounen tropes on themselves?
>Character is about to die and in trouble, but is saved by another character in the nick of time!
>Then that character is about to die and in trouble, is saved by another new character in the nick of time!
>Then that character is about to die and in trouble, is saved by another new character in the nick of time!

its groundless because all you people say to praise academia is either it uses tropes in a good way or it has a deep meaning(the shitiest justification by far) or that its generic in a good way
if thats not groundless i dont know what is

this

If you're talking about the Stain fight,while it didn't revolutionise the trope, it wasn't an asspull since Deku was actively looking for Ida ,making it only a matter of time until he found him, then Deku mass sent his location so it was only a matter of time until someone else showed up to save his ass.

>Why is it groundless
I mean in the sense that the guy who made it didn't provide any grounds, not necessarily that there aren't any grounds in reality. If the initial claim is just "the characters are good," and doesn't detail why that's true, then there's no reason why someone disagreeing should be expected to detail why it's not true.

another big problem is that it got rid if the big bad too soon and with no consequences at all

plus ever since then,its just been street level villains and boring pointless training arcs

It's shit

>Unlikeable protagonist
>Boring powers
>Characters act completely retarded to progress the plot
>Secondary cast exist almost entirely to suck the MC's dick
>Setting is underdeveloped
>Pathetic villain

user, you don't know how BnHA fanbase argue?

Being fair, they got rid of the Big Good too. All Might is reduced to his Toshinori form permanently now.

>it got rid if the big bad too soon
>with no consequences at all
>plus ever since then,its just been street level villains and boring pointless training arcs

It's shit.

He calling a fucker who can disintegrate matter with the barest of the touches (Overhaul) street level villain could only be a joke, right?

Id say the manga has waay too much world building,
to much explaining, too many new characters that get no depth,
also the current villain, the dumb bird guy is kinda lame.

apart from that, its pretty fun, and the girls are cute thb

So what, street level isn't tied to the power you have, it's how you use them.

I dropped BnHA because it clearly wasn't going to get better, but if the guy with the matter-destroying quirk just want to get rich or get respect around the underground world he's street level as far as I'm concerned.

>theme of the anime is about superheroes
>anime uses common superhero tropes

NOO WAYYY!!!!!!

>All these non-answers

Jesus Christ Sup Forums

Name one thing about this shounen battle that none other has.

All fucking Might.
Next question?