What ever happened to a "public and speedy trial" from the 6th amendment?

What ever happened to a "public and speedy trial" from the 6th amendment?

Eric Clanton's trial is neither public nor speedy. Also I was there today, AMA

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/KathrynJavandel
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Siegel_(attorney)
berkeleyside.com/2017/05/26/eric-clanton-charged-four-counts-assault-deadly-weapon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wut habbend

Davy?

You have a right to a public and speedy trial but that doesn't mean you 'want' a public and speedy trial. Having to defend yourself in court for assaulting people right after a huge school shooting could negatively influence the outcome of the trial. Because of this his lawyers got the trial delayed. (they probably stated other reasons but this is probably the real reason)

Quick rundown!
oh wait, wrong extremist.

Hit us with the facts.

You can waive your right to a speedy trial.

That right is for the accused and can therefore be waived

because he's just a plant, there will be no consequences for him

delayed til april 5

I was in the courtroom all morning, clanton showed up way late with like 5 of his RefuseFacism friends.

When it was eric's turn, the judge made a remark that Eric's name reminded him of Eric Clapton (and laughed). Eric was well dressed compared to the guys before him (there was a case of involuntary manslaughter before, lots of basic thuggery). I don't think the judge had any fucking clue about the scope of Eric's crimes.

Eric's lawyer asked for another delay and the judge barely even considered the case before agreeing. Judge didn't care. The court system seems under funded as it is, so cases like this just get moved along like anyone else.

Really, nigger? You want to complain that a communist subhuman is being treated unfairly?

But they are just delaying it. Clanton should have been in prison last May, instead his parents paid the bail and he was free to do what he wanted, and his commie lawyer just keeps pushing it back. Why should he be allowed this full year of freedom after being proven of attempted murder?

I'm complaining that it's not live streamed and he is not in jail already.

clanton in court

I didn't take this picture.

He still has his hippy hair

Does he have a trial date? Pic related is going to be in jail 18 months before his trial even starts.

>delayed til april 5

IDK, but this lawyer on twitter is covering it twitter.com/KathrynJavandel

The courts are so corrupt. If you have money or connections you stay out of jail.

Guess all these delays are a perk of ratting on all of his domestic terrorist friends to the Feds

his refuse fascism old commie friends.

His lawyer was involved in starting a riot in the 60s.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Siegel_(attorney)
>while he attended UC Berkeley's University of California, Berkeley, School of Law. He was also a leader in the local Students for a Democratic Society.[citation needed] As UC Berkeley Student President-Elect in 1969, Siegel is known for his role in the student rebellion on "Bloody Thursday," when thousands of students clashed with hundreds of California Highway Patrol officers and Alameda County sheriff's deputies sent by the office of then-California governor Ronald Reagan to assert control over a piece of property known as "People's Park." The 2.8 acre People's Park was, in 1969, in the midst of a stalled redevelopment plan, littered with debris and abandoned cars.[3] During a rally on Sproul Plaza on that day, May 15, 1969, Siegel received the microphone as the crowd of 3,000 agitated to reclaim what was perceived as their community space, when he yelled "Take the park!" His exhortation was perceived as the start of a riot, which featured protestors marching against riot police, who responded with shotgun fire among other acts, killing one and blinding another.

Yup, it was weird seeing him in person. He looked exactly as always. If I were his lawyer I would have advised to change his look.

>What ever happened to a "public and speedy trial" from the 6th amendment?
kikes

all those cunts need a bike lock to the skull

They are about 90% to blame for most if the USA's ills and many places around the globe.

What kind of person is the judge?

looks like Governor Jerry Brown and Stephen King...

White guy in his 50s-60s

If I remember correctly from looking it up a year ago the judge was fairly new and didn't really have a track record yet, but that was a year ago, and I forgot the judge's name now.

he was in room 011 in the alameda superior court today.

his lawyer is on the left

clanton outside courtroom

probably looking to call his antifa friends to intimidate witnesses

how bad did that elder nigger smell?

>/Dan_Siegel_(attorney)

(((Siegel)))

why am i not surprised.

>well dressed
literally a homeless person under 50

Not really that mad.

The joke in berkeley is that it's impossible to distinguish between a professor and a homeless person.

What a merry band of kikes indeed

>what ever happened to constitutional rights?
They've been dead for 160 years, user

While I would gladly put a bullet in eric clantons head I will say our "justice" system is a fucking farce. Once you are accused of something it can take years to go to trial or even get a final decision before a judge. In the mean time your name is sullied all over the internet. You can't find meaningful work. You can't move to greener pastures to advance your career if you can manage to find work. I knew a guy falsely accused who lost five years of his life to our slow ass JEWdicial system.

They will keep delaying it until no one is following it anymore, then they will drop the charges.

mr clanton looks relaxed

He's being charged with a felony, why is he not in jail? Is he on parol?

I can smell him through my phone. Smells like fresh dog shit someone stepped in.

Would be hard not to give him a little standby stab in the kidney. Thanks for being a polbro and going there.

Yeah if you are in contact with the courts you can see how corrupt it is. It was really appalling, this judge sitting in front handing out sentences. No ability to record video. It's nothing like the movies say. Most of the audience can't even see the person on trial. There is no jury (of course).

Alameda county is not poor but their court system is total shit.

Its a good thing that the judge is not angry, this is western culture. Requests for delays are never denied. The same rights to a speedy trial are also worded out to be given enough time as you'd like to prepare to defend yourself within reason. If the lawyer thought they could get an even average result by not delaying the case for his client he would do it, he is delaying the case because he is worried he will lose.

People rarely go to jail for a first assault even aggravated assault. People never go to jail for a first assault if they have an even semi respectable position in society like a student or a middle aged NEET who has never committed a violent crime before.

Also they kept mentioning "time served" on the order of 200 days. Seems like you should not serve time over a month until convicted. They need more judges and need to get through cases quicker.

Also seems like lots of fluff positions,You need a bailiff and security, but then there were a bunch of people on laptops seemingly doing nothing. Lawyers in fancy suits standing around doing nothing. Seemed like they all knew each other really well.

>Eric's lawyer asked for another delay

Given that the right to a speedy trial is well-understood to be a right of the DEFENDANT's that exists for the DEFENDANT's benefit, it makes sense that a judge would allow a delay without any fuss if said defendant decides to waive exercising it and clear up near-term space on the docket for cases that defendants actually want to exercise their rights on and get out of the way already.

If he wants to spend more time in legal limbo, it's his loss.

That's when my restraining order ends

In your opinion it wasn't speedy but hey you're stupid.
First is the arrest, the within 72 hours he has to be arraigned and either released pre-trial or held without bail after a plea (of not guilty, he's ethically bankrupt). Since George Soros paid his bail, he's out of jail riding cocks bareback for cash. Then the attorney we are paying for will determine if it's worth fighting or he should just plea guilty and be done, every continuance is suggeted or agreed upon with his attorney, so the whole speedy trial thing won't hold water it's not true.

>refuse fascism
Yet unprovoked, potentially fatal attacks on conservatives are fine ?

>
Also seems like lots of fluff positions,You need a bailiff and security, but then there were a bunch of people on laptops seemingly doing nothing. Lawyers in fancy suits standing around doing nothing. Seemed like they all knew each other really well.

This is every single government operation's standard.

If the judge knew the details of the case there would be no delays. The research has been done, clanton has been thoroughly proven to be the one hitting people with his bike lock, both by Sup Forums and by the berkeley police's search of his residence. What other possible research could be done? Writing a thesis on the benefits of communism?

>There is no jury (of course).

A jury is only needed if a case is actually being tried. You don't need one (and indeed have no use for one) when handling pre-trial proceedings where findings of fact are not being made.

Waiting until your restraining order is over to assault someone will result in a harsher punishment then assaulting them during your restraining order. The wait you make to plot your revenge will establish you as a calculating and deeply violent person where if you "loose control" in a fit of passion and attack your target during the probationary period you can argue lack of sanity and potentially get an entirely different bracket of punishment.

Source video? I left while they were milling around.

God I want to kick him

That's from the previous court appearance.

You don't know how judges think or work. The findings of the online community would need to be presented to the judge by the district attorney. Popular opinion wont sway a judge, even protesters in the court room begging for vengeance or mercy will be ignored by all but the most subconscious thoughts.

>this judge sitting in front handing out sentences

Also, this means you were only seeing the sentencing hearings. The trials and/or guilty pleas already happened before that date. If it seemed weirdly quick, that's because the hearings you were watching were just the culmination of a bunch of work/negotiating/investigating/hearing of arguments that already took place in a prior proceeding. It looks "quick and dirty" because all the details had already been by and large worked out, and the hearing was just for announcing the final decision.

We don't have justice in this country anymore. If your case is political then a travesty will occur.

>The findings of the online community
You mean the evidence the police have on him.

Do it. Plead for deferral of your criminal record based on a period of probation and community service.

Then that yah.

When will you people finally realize that Eric is a master tactician and there is no way you can ever bring him down or overcome his superior intellect.

He's living rent free inside your head and toying with you. You're the cats and he's the laser pointer in this game.

My point is about public perception of how courts work. People think every case goes straight to trial, but in reality most cases stay in limbo. It's fucked up because the police basically act as judge jury and executioner. The accused are sent straight to jail with occasional court appearances for half a year.

Also the fact that the case is being pushed is because the government thinks they can get a conviction. He wouldn't need to ask for delays if the DA didn't want to turn him into a victory for himself. Their office needs to validate their existence with a certain amount of revenue generation based on participation in the system.

Lol do they think that? I'm new. I didn't realize.

He's facing FOUR felonies. I hardly think they want to go easy on him.

The police gathered enough evidence on their own. The "online community" simply gave them a tip since the berkeley police routinely fail to arrest antifa.

>Police said they found evidence Wednesday during a search of Clanton’s home in San Leandro that linked him to “Anti-Fascists and Anarchy political groups,” according to court papers. He was not at that residence, so authorities moved to a second address in West Oakland and said they found flags, patches and pamphlets “associating Clanton” with antifa and anarchist groups. Investigators arrested Clanton there.

>Detectives said they “recovered U-locks, sunglasses, a glove, jeans, and facial coverings” consistent with items worn during the April 15 assaults, according to court documents. And a camera found at the San Leandro home contained “selfies” taken by Clanton, police said, “with him wearing black clothing and facial coverings” consistent with April 15.

>Police said in court documents that Clanton’s phone records placed him near Civic Center Park during the time of the protest assaults, too.

>Police wrote that other photos they found showed Clanton “posing next to Anarchy symbols.” An “Iron Front” tattoo on his bicep, photographed while he was being logged into jail, “is associated with Anti-Fascists,” too, according to court papers.

berkeleyside.com/2017/05/26/eric-clanton-charged-four-counts-assault-deadly-weapon/

>The research has been done

It's the Prosecutor's research and the Court's findings of fact that need to be done, not just the internet's digging. There are rules and procedures for entering things into evidence, and for very good reason. A judge doesn't have the prerogative to just say, "I read a thread on Sup Forums full of pictures and have come to a decision, we're done here," like you seem to think they should.

And all of that only comes into play if/when the case actually gets to the trial stage (assuming the prosecutor's research does not suffice to convince the defendant to make a deal and enter a plea), which clearly hasn't happened yet.

I'd bundle the four as some kind of collection of events my client has moved on from and is in fact eager to make restitution for. I'd get him no criminal record and 6-12 weeks full time community service which he would get to pick how to do himself and he could totally use protesting to full-fill that obligation.

Oh yah I know, infact I believe "the police" are not using the information the online community has to try and convict him which is why originally i said that.

Came here to post on this. He was back in court today. I was wondering about what happened

Not in my experience. 70% of the students come from wealthy backgrounds and the professors are still the best dressed.

The accused are sent "straight" to jail because, by and large, they enter a guilty plea instead of choosing to exercise their right to a trial by jury. Because, by and large, most cases are pretty obvious (unless you're one of those "omg these police are all crooked and making up evidence against these people who dindu nuffin" types, then it's all a massive conspiracy to keep the black man down) and the evidence against them is generally overwhelming, making trials largely a superfluous exercise in futility and plea bargains a way smarter option.

Accused are never sent straight to jail... innocent before guilty and it takes a trial to deiced your guilt. To insure you do not run you have to put up an amount of money that insures you are tied to the court financially.

What’s not public about it? I imagine you could sit in the room or request access to depositions. If you’re able please inquire if there’s any filmed interviews and post them to YouTube

If the evidence against him wasn't in play, then his lawyer would not be stalling. He would be pushing to get a decision as soon as possible in light of the fact that the prosecution was not prepared to enter substantial evidence.

Third dub this thread, check'em

The court, excuse me, The (((court))) is obviously going easy on Eric, and soon all charges will be dropped or minimized to couple weekends home detention.

The entire government up and down, including the media, judges, prosecutors, police etc you name it,all partisans of leftism and Eric Clanton brand of leftist activism, and 'anti-racism' really anti white.

While Chris Cantwell and other marchers from Virginia literally rot/rotted in jail, Clanton was and is free as a bird, time to time he visits court to recieve jovial jests from the judge.

>Haha I thought the defendant was Eric Clapton.

I wonder how many winks the right wing guys got from Judge Shekelberg?

yah i said that first, eh

>it takes a trial to deiced your guilt

Only if you deny said guilt. Like I said, most just admit their guilt and get on with it because, also as said before, most of their cases are really obvious and they know they have nothing to gain and harsher sentencing to lose if they try to fight it.

Do you fucks realize how easy it would be to walk up and dust this little crackhead with LSD? For a thousands dollars, you can stuff a rubber baby-nose-cleaner dropper thing with 10K hits of dried LSD and hit this fucker as he walks home from the park. Talk about permafried...

touche

fwiw the judge today isn't necessarily going to be the judge of his actual trial, if it ends up going to trial. could be, be also could not be.

I feel if things were different you’d be declaiming about prosecutorial overreach and innocent until proven guilty. He could have a trial ASAP if he wanted. Fair and speedy trial seems meant to keep people from languishing endlessly in jails and not some ammo in the DA’s pocket to railroad the accused

So this court is just a formality. Why even have a formal court, drag in all these people (and use all these court resources), just to announce a predetermined sentence? Their lawyers were not making cases, the accused were not testifying, and it took about 15 minutes per case. It was just announcements.

under rated

General Clanton cannot be stopped. Even his own lawyers "fear the lock". Operation (PREPBULL) will resume April 5

>The (((court))) is obviously going easy on Eric, and soon all charges will be dropped

As evidenced by what? The fact that a delay is happening as the defense chooses not to exercise Eric's own right to a speedy trial?

>free as a bird

Being out on bail with felonies hanging over your head is no joke. Your life is for most intents and purposes totally on hold and your day-to-day existence is nothing but anxiety and dread.

>jovial jests

Judges and lawyers deal with that criminal shit all day. Unless a defendant did something particularly shocking like murder a child, it's just business as usual for them, and there's no reason to suspect that the cheery attitude they sometimes keep up as they get through their day will have any bearing on how they ultimately treat a case.

>mfw even if he somehow avoids jail Sup Forums autists will harass him until the end of his days

>Their lawyers were not making cases, the accused were not testifying

Again, all of that already happened in those cases long before you got there, either before the Court in hearings or in negotiations on plea bargains which the Court would approve or reject. You witnessed the culmination of a whole lot of investigation, proceedings, and deliberation.

>Why

Because the Court does big things like condemn people to serious deprivations of liberty in a proper hearing, in a public space, as is only proper if the system is to have any kind of transparency or legitimacy.

>Seems like you should not serve time over a month until convicted
You know I would be inclined to agree with that except in cases of violence, there might be a repeat offense, and we can't have that.

The point is all the evidence was available shortly after april 15 2017.

Sup Forums found clanton by 4/19.

Cell phone warrant acquired 5/02 Eric arrest warrant/search warrant 5/22

Now it's almost a year later, still nothing done except the formality of a restraining order from protests which basically mean nothing.

I never heard that joke in ten years in Berkeley
Clanton likely did do what he’s accused of. Still, I don’t think it merits an extrajudicial killing. Care to modify your statement?

>a bunch of decripit commies
Christ, does Clanton even know he's being used by these cryptokikes?

anyone know if the actual trasscripts of what happened today are available online?
who the judge was, who this new lawyer was,
who the prosecutor was, etc?
curious if this new lawyer is some rando or one of the commie usual suspects around there

Nigger you are dumb. You can waive a speedy trial.

>harass
Nah man, Clanton will obviously have a sudden and tragic accident if he gets off without prison time. He pissed off too many people. I'm surprised nobody has gone after him now that he's on bail.