Why do so many people hate sword art online?

I thought it was a really solid show full of great action scenes and really interesting characters. I don't know why Kirito gets so much shit, he's a really cool and badass character.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e0Dm_yj4sDQ
youtu.be/vzxbodu3AnY?t=13
youtube.com/watch?v=CIj49_mqcMs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Remember the isekai's epidemic we are currently in? is SAO's fault.

Only the first half of S1 was good. ALO. GGO and AIDS Online were shit.

They give him shit because they're jealous, they can't get any girls themselves and suck at videogames

Epidemic? Isekai is the genre that's saving this dying medium.

Try googling your question for the literal thousands of videos and essays which deconstruct the anime to explain why it is both hated, and not nearly as well constructed as you think it is.

Because retards like you keep making these threads

I have seen lots of videos that try to critique SAO. But I believe that the points are too weak to stand on their own, i believe that they're just exaggurating SAO's few flaws.

It's kiddie.

Isekai has been a popular genre and industry standard long before SAO. There has been at least one title nearly every season for over twenty years.

The medium is doing better than it was eight years ago and has been growing.

Not even normalfags would think that Kirito is badass and really cool.

Pic Related

Because it didn't end when the game ended.

>The medium is doing better than it was eight years ago and has been growing.

As I said, it's because of isekai shows. If it weren't for isekai anime wouldn't have as much of a following today. We can thank isekai for reeling in more ordinary people.

Shit bait

It's fucking medicore. It's not good enough to deserve praise, and it's definitely not bad enough to justify all the autism about it. Idiots are just bored and just circlejerk about this show to intellectually masterbate about "how good their taste is"

>start with 2 really promising episodes that makes you hope for great things
>10 episodes of LITERALLY FUCKING NOTHING
>when the confrontation with the mastermind finally happens... "My motives are LOL I forgot!"
Gee, I really wonder!

Blame the Digibro, when this series came out, the pleb loved it because they like everything that has cute girls and swords, and critics found the average at best, but then a certain brony called digibro, made a series of videos Destroying every episode and proving it was poorly written, just like the redletter media and Star Wars, so several critics did the same, and nowadays like SAO is like admitting that you're retarded

The great start/bait the tentacle monster service and taking a bunch of normies nobody wanted here into the anime genre are the sins of this series

Reminder that SAO and Greed Island was airing at the same time

The first half was boring as fuck. The second half was worse but more entertaining.
The only good thing about the first half was Lisbeth.

Its the boogeyman of anime
Most people havent even watched it but still hate it

I never got HunterXHunter. It's a last decade style shounen, yet it's so popular. Why?

It all started when they decided to skip a lot of floors and ignore MMO stuff, but it all went to shit when incest and tentacle ecchi happened. That's when people had to drop it.

I enjoyed it. I also want Sugu to sit on my face

First part of the Anime
>Typical Gary Sue
>Edgy
>Gets full harem out of nowhere, just for the harem's sake

And now you are asking why people hate it. If the writer wanted a good love story between him and Asuna she (it was she right?) would't make additional female characters thirsting for MC's dick out of nothing. I mean the baseline episode was "Overpowered Kirito kills a monster, helps a chick and she wants his dick".

I really liked the idea of being trapped into the game world and dying for real. The main objective is to beat the game while not dying (and in considerable time since who knows what will happen with your rotting body on the outside). Some love story included is acceptable. Even the fact that MC played on beta test and has advantage before noobs is acceptable aswell, but then,bad things start to happen.

>continued in next post

It's a bad show, but the hate for it is just bandwagoning.

>from previous post
We start with the fact, that MC starts acting edgy. Well ok, let's assume he is autistic and that is how he acts. But then the Gary Sue MC starts to appear: He is getting things that are not supposed to haappen. Somehow he gets dual wielding which is supposed to be super unique and nobody was able to do it. Why? For what reason? Just to make MC overpowered? That is what makes the anime shit in first place. Then the harem. Why? There is no point of it, since he doesn't even interact with those girls anymore. Then that "child" and how he hacks the system. From where the fuck did he get the knowledge? He is just a good player, not a fucking programming chosen one Neo from Matrix. Why did the author even go that way? Then she understood that she fucked up and fucked up even harder by making a premature ending which didn't make any sence, why didn't they went up to the top with all the losses and finally beaten the last bos (even if it was supposed to be the game developer himself)? How about making a relationship with raid, making us feel the tragedy of losing every raid member till in the end only 2 of them survive and defeat the last boss to get out of the game.

What happens afterwards is even more retarded and has no relation to SaO whatever, it feels just like a cheap drama to milk the cow. That guy who wanted to marry Asuna and trapped her in computer game makes no fucking sence, even less than everything before.

Well as you see the idea was good but bad writing with clishees and terrible ending plus trying to milk the cow have ruined such a promising story.

It was a great concept ruined by horrible execution. There were only four episode I fully enjoyed and two were in the first season. The most redeeming thing about this anime is that it sparked interest in VR MMOs. Goddamn, I wish World of Warcraft in vanilla was like SAO. (Bonus points if I can play as a girl.)

Source: Your ass. Fuck off.

there were good and bad to it.

good-
solid "concept" - if not original the trapped in the MMORPG and it's a death game had a degree of horror to the concept that made it pop out and give you a strong impression. Their is no surprise the best episode was episode one.

The show actually was ok through episode 3, though the death of the midnight black cats was a bit forced I could handle it. It helped the MC couldn't just overpower everything because he was the MC.

Asuna - in the first arc and again in the last arc (mother's rosario) was a moderately ok character

Klein - woefully underutilized, klein might have been the best character in the show. shame he didn't have more screen time

The Mediocre
everything from episode 4-14 - the show mostly lived on the opening episode's death game premise, and from time to time was actually rather interesting. But it wandered about aimlessly for much of these 10 episodes, worse the MC became less and less interesting, as Kirito became videogame jesus. The moment Kirito was broken forever as a character probably was when he hacked the system to "save" yui. This might have been the moment the whole series stopped being interesting actually.

The Mother's Rosario Arc - This one actually flirted with almost being good at times. However it steered shamelessly into melodrama and Kirito saving the party so that they could do the boss raid was painfully akward. As was the implication that kirito could have won his duel with Yuki had he 'tried'

The BAD

Kirito - the MC of this shitpile is an inhuman amalgamation of several 14yo's wish fulfillment fantasies. He's poorly written, magicks his way through problems, never really loses (at least not since ep 3), somehow is an elite~ you know what I could spend another 1000 words writing how much i hate him

The Spurned Women's Club - aka the harem of side bitches who for "reasons" hang out with Kirito and Asuna.

Alfheim, Gun Gale, and excalibur arcs suck

You seem quite butthurt and full of autism when did Sup Forums become this easy?

I enjoyed Sinon and her character. She was what the MCs should've been.

>pretending that you were pretending to be retarded as if that's supposed to be better when you were actually just being retarded
grow up.

>full of great action scenes and really interesting characters

Hello?!

First: Good or bad, most of the people who hate it do so purely on the grounds that it's so popular. You can look at fidget spinners (a totally innocuous object to anyone who isn't a school teacher) to see this phenomenon.
Second: The characters aren't really that interesting. Kirito's a clumsy attempt at capturing a shut-in mmo nerd's edge, but there were much better ways they could've done that (SAO Abridged does it right, in a way that someone who actually plays mmos might have done it).
Third: The whole plot is kinda nonsense.

/thread

Those "many" are still a vocal minority compared to the actual fans. SAO is a literal cashcow and is not because the majority dislikes it.

The hate for it is overblown. Yeah, it's bad, but there's a lot worse stuff out there, and spending your time actively hating it is a sign that you've only made a few steps into the medium at best.

.hack//sign was basically the deconstruction of isekai before isekai was even a thing.

My beef with SAO is I thought it started really good then it really went downhill in the second half. It was a big disappointment to me so to see people hyping it up as the best anime ever was annoying.

Way too overhyped, that is the problem. If people just admit its OK and the second half sucked I wouldnt feel the need shit on it.

Sup Forums had a full-on hateboner for SAO from episode 1, the rest of the internet following suite isn't the fault of one jewtuber with less than 325000 subs

It really was, wasn't it
>Loser gets stuck in an MMO
>Gets super OP power
>But he is an antisocial jerk
>Very few people put up with him
>His power makes all the other players hate him for being a cheater
>Otherwise all he's good for is support spells while the actual fighters do the fighting
>Best result for him is being able to go back to his real body.

You know, I didn't understand how people could understand Macha until it was pointed out to me years later.

I thought it was just some special link Tsukasa had with Macha, but she was just an NPC speaking in text that Tsukasa could read since he could still see the UI, but we can't.

You do? I want her to sit on my dick.

It served us a trapped in a game scenario, but even in a first half of the first season they abandoned it so they could turn it into romance, then ecchi and harem and retardation. Also, there was never really any sense of danger since Kirito was hax level

>never any sense of danger
He was a pixel away from being a tv meal for brains multiple times.
That said, the anime sure is a rollercoaster in multiple ways. Progressive is much better, and should be animated with love and huge budget.

Because somehow it is cool to hate SAO. Maybe because e-celebs hated the show.

ALO was kinda meh, but dem sugus, and double NTR was fun
GGO was stupid, but it has the best girl of th whole show
Alice is defnitely the best arcand I cant wait for s3

I haven't seen SAO but I know I should hate it because everyone else does.

Personally I was just disappointed. When the anime was first announced years ago everyone was hyped up because people thought it was going to be .hack, but without it feeling slow.
The first 9 episodes delivered, but everything after was just wrapped around forced romance and an implied harem theme.

>He was a pixel away from being a tv meal for brains multiple times.
That doesn't matter. As far as the internet is concerned, if a series isn't routinely killing off main characters, and the hero isn't a continuous failure who seldom manages to save anyone, there's no sense of danger.

I really enjoyed the romance, and the overall story of the first part. However, the pacing felt very wrong when suddenly they rushed things and they got killed the last boss in an instant. This series could have easily expanded the setting and characters but for some reason they decided to end fast.

> before isekai was even a thing.

isekai existed long long before .hack.

I guess I should say before it entered vogue.

the story was a clusterfuck of themes and didn't have any solid ground to stand on. If the story was clearly about the MC and his journey through the original ordeal and how it affected him once they escaped the game, that would be a better story than it just continuing game after game.

The scene where he instinctively adopts his stance while duelling his sister in kendo is pretty compelling. It could have been a great story about how he tries to re-adapt to the real world after being stuck in a virtual one facing death every day.

Instead, this sort of storytelling is forgotten in favour of "lol harem romance" and incest.

Alicization adaptation will be a miss. A very big miss. A1 can't do adaptation for shit, heck, they did a poor job in S1 and S2, which were supposed to be the most easy

That show was digusting at times. Anyone remember the season finale where Kirito sits with Asuna on her hospital bed and the look into the night sky, only to reveal that their video game avatars are WATCHING THEM.

I'm surprised nobody posted THAT gif yet

>Sachi
>PK
>Aids-chan

.hack//sign did it better.

tl;dr

the idea is cool but they fucked the execution

It was the bomb diggity
youtube.com/watch?v=e0Dm_yj4sDQ

I am only worried about the length. There's enough material to animate at least 48 eps, but I doubt they want to commit to that much anime. So they are going to butcher or ignore some things.

Hopefully they will keep the cute kohai rape.

Where do I start with the .hack series? I've heard good things, but it seems to have lots of spinoffs and such

/ A / hates everything, this is the fucking internet, but the digibro gave reason to hate, not because people like to hate, but because SAO is legitimately bad, other explanations that I can think of are:

> Is bad and overrated
> Is the favorite of the children and edgy-teenagers
> Flooded the market for shitty Light Novels adaptations

I personally think it's mediocre that it does not deserve even the hatred

just watch SAO Abridged, its better

>/ A /
Go away and never post again.

Very weak bait

start with .hack//sign

It was the first part of the franchise to come out and is canonically one of the first stories.

.hack, the PS2 game is a direct sequel to .hack//sign

From there its kinda up to you, legends of the twilight was kinda garbo. You can just move on to .hack//GU, also for PS2 though its getting an hd rerelease soon, so you could just play that.

But yeah, the important stuff in order is
.hack//sign
.hack
.hack//GU

Other stuff is fluff unless I missed anything, I admit I didn't really follow anything after .hack.

*chronologically, not canonically.

Though it is that too

Just fair warning, there isn't very much action at all in .hack//sign. For an anime set in a fantasy MMO, they spend 95% of the time standing around and talking.

It's still worth watching because the dialogue and story is pretty good, but don't go in expecting much action

>Why do so many people hate sword art online?
No idea

>I thought it was a really solid show full of great action scenes and really interesting characters
>great action scenes
>really interesting characters

Flashy particle effects and good character designs do not make good action scenes or interesting characters

>has been growing
Not artistically. It's probably at one of its most creatively bankrupt points

I think aggressively mediocre would be a better way of explaining why it is so hated

>really interesting characters

heh

Fuck off, newfag

Sup Forums hated SAO from pretty much day 1

BEGONE THOT

>le creativity bankrupcy meme

Nice revisionism.

Isekaid always existed, but it was SAO the one that popularized it as a self insert power fantasy.

Go read some of the archived threads from when it was airing back in 2012, newfag

Le Digiboogieman didn't make his videos until 2 years after SAO first aired

I was there actually-

I want to plow Sugu from behind

I don't hate it. It definitely isn't good but I did enjoy it somewhat. It's the TV anime equivalent of a flick.

It's far less effective without the sound.

youtu.be/vzxbodu3AnY?t=13

I hate how it's basically wasted potential. You have modern homebodies thrown into a deadly situation, and then just rush through it in thirteen episodes, to make way for shit that has no meaning and impact and isn't at all as interesting as the Aincrad shit. Also, fuck Kirito, he should have remained an insecure loner torturing himself over his failure with the Black Cats instead of becoming Jesus-kun. Would have been more interesting.

I enjoyed Sword Art Online.

I would even go so far as to call the Aincrad arc kinda good. Everything after is a fucking mess of course, but to me it's an entertaining mess.

Anyway, the superior way to enjoy SAO is through the abridged series, which many say is better than the original.

youtube.com/watch?v=CIj49_mqcMs

The show sucked and even the first season was below average. The reason being Kirito is a badass is probably the main reason it sucked. Gary stu and a chick magnet to top it off. Heathcliff was cool but the show didn't use him all that much. Kayaba is a psycho but Kirito forgives him and becomes his friend even going as far as defending him. Show sucked bud.

The protagonist is an offensively bland gary stu. Kirito has no personality and yet we are subjected to the story focusing on him and his incredibly bland adventures. The worst part is how the universe he lives in just warps itself to make him the best at everything. Every single weird, questionable detail in SAO can be traced back to this: if something seems really odd or out of place it's 99.99% likely to be that way because it was necessary in order to make Kirito look good.

>downloaded all the games
>to play/watch everything in order
>still havent got around in doing it

>the epic gary stu meme

He is though. Author built every single rule in every game he plays to make Kirito the best at everything. Bosses that can be solo killed, skills only available to one player in the whole server just to make him more special and unique, the entire bizarre leveling scheme in SAO was also pretty much contrived to have Kirito be permanently stronger than everyone else in the game. And SAO is supposedly the "better written" part of the novels, but I don't deny it gets even more blatant how much the author warps reality for Kirito later on, like in GGO. Holy shit the BS in GGO makes me convinced SAOtards have IQs below room temperature to defend it.

It is pretty illogical than any MMO would be built in a way that one character can solo everything. Kinda defeats the point of being an MMO

Because it's just not very good. The plot's uninspired in just about every way, the protagonist is a selfish dickhead, the supporting cast aren't half as interesting as you think they are, the action scenes are nothing special.

Sure, the level of hate it gets is out of proportion to its level of quality - the show's not really any good, but it's not THAT bad - but everything it does, some other show does better. If it was more enjoyable overall than the sum of its parts - some shows are - I could at least give it "it was entertaining", but it didn't manage even that.

Basically. Just one more way that it's clear the author doesn't know a goddamned thing about MMOs, and it's there as a coat of paint over an otherwise fairly standard isekai.

>skills only available to one player in the whole server
There are 10 unique skills and given each to different player depending on which area they excel the most and Kirito's is reaction speed, therefore, he got the Dual Blades, you fucking speedwatcher retard.

>Just one more way that it's clear the author doesn't know a goddamned thing about MMOs
Oh, this meme again. Kawahara is a huge Ultima Online and RO player. Next you're gonna say the next meme that is "HE WROTE IT WHEN HE WAS 15 YEARS OLD" even though he was 25 when he wrote SAO.

>Oh, this meme again. Kawahara is a huge Ultima Online and RO player.
Well if that's the case, then he's just a shit writer, because the story does not reflect any real understanding of MMOs.

I for one was told to watch it because the art was good...

Yes I was told to watch it because the art was good. The end result is me saying the art was PRETTY too look at but everything (characters, designs, 'plot', and even the game itself) was a massive pile of disappointment.