I honestly can't see the appeal of modern main characters(not all but most of them)...

I honestly can't see the appeal of modern main characters(not all but most of them). Before a lot of main characters were more mature and have more development and story to their character itself.They were also simple and had good personalities such as,hot-blooded,risky,manly and also "classic". Now modern days characters feel somewhat lacky and somewhat recycled,I honestly don't understand why do a lot of mcs needs a harem.A lot of them feels wimpy and not interesting and boring.I'm just ranting because i used to grow-up with old animes.But honestly can someone explain to me what makes a modern character appealing.

Post the one with LN MCs in the right side.

I don't see any problems with subaru tho

It's self insert for the intended audience, thats why there are usually lots of girls around them.

My problem is that they tried to make him somewhat realistic but I dunno I found him irritating at times

>that fucking pic
>animes
Get the fuck out of here. Also you clearly don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

>hot-blooded
>good
give me the smart MCs instead, you can have the "hot-blooded" ones for yourself

Jeez user I just want to know what makes modern main characters appealing that's all

The issue I have with a lot of protagonist these days is the total overuse of "nothing interesting has ever happened to this character before the start of this show" setups, whether it be isekai faggotry or otherwise.

This shit is getting out of hand, what did happen to having older protagonists and waifus.

>and somewhat recycled
Oh yea, I remember all these very unique characters in 80s cartoons. Very well written individuals indeed. No wait, that was [any other era] since writing in the 80s was absolute dogshit. Did you also seriously just post fucking Getter Robo as an example of a series that provided a decent MC/cast?

>what makes a modern character appealing
People either grew up or received a proper education so pseudo self insert mains who are "manly" and yell all the time dont appeal to them anymore. Its possible to swallow that for a movie, but an 20ep+ show? Id rather put a gun to my head. I cant fathom how anyone above the age of 20 could possibly think that Ryouma, Ryouor Kenshirou are enjoyable to follow. Back then the theme was manly, now its flustered beta. Neither of them is good unless you suffer from braindamage. Both groups self-inserts.

the exorcist organization in tokyo ghoul did nothing wrong. not only are 99% of ghouls still violent, predatory cannibals who abduct and murder innocent people off the street, but one out of the like 4 ghouls who try to act like they're domesticated enough to live amongst humans had a psychotic break and became the edgiest edgelord in tokyo.

Does self-insert actually mean anything at this point? It seems like it's just shorthand for "author wanted me to relate to the protagonist, but it didn't happen".

>and somewhat recycled Oh yea, I remember all these very unique characters in 80s cartoons

Stop right there, not him but even the 90's and early 2000s had some really memorable characters.

user chill I just asked a question,what makes modern main characters appealing? I just need to know,chill

Three of those are basically harem protags.

Old anime main characters are ugly.

people may relate to a character and see things through that character's perspective (whether they agree with that character's thoughts and actions or not); said characters aren't designed to match a particular demographic or to please as many readers/viewers as possible (and in order to do so, removing "disagreeable" elements as much as possible).

Different source materials getting adaptations. The ones on the left don't get much anime adaptations anymore since LN shit is more popular.

False.

Ugly as fuck.

Then I guess that I shit talked 80s characters. Maybe finish reading a post before responding you mongrel.

Whats the argument for the left characters being more likeable than the right ones? That they are manyl and have certain values isnt it? You will automatically project your own values onto a character no matter what, thats what makes you like or dislike someone. If he acts retarded then he only does so because you THINK he does. Someone who can relate wont share that opinion. Thats essentailly what I am getting at.

The same things that made the cahracters you think of as good did. You just like the older ones more than the current ones because the current ones are more appealing to a certain group of people that you apparently arent part of. This isnt rocketscience, the characters havent become worse written individuals (quite the contrary to be honest). They simply dont align with what you consider "serviceable" anymore. You apparently want buffed guys with little to no clothing who yell. Well, that time is past, at least for the most part.

Not even Ryous physique is attractive in any form or shape. Go back to /fit/ since that place is the only place in the world that believes that musclemass correlates with attractiveness.

Ryo Saeba is a handsome man

Jackie Chan is the only good Ryo Saeba iteration.

What about Jackie Li?

Fujo pls

>hating kenshiro
Get the fuck out

I don't see anything wrong with where our protagonists went, they stopped being pussy bitches.

i love this meme so much it pains me

Only underage self-insert cucks like modern Kirito clones.

Damn user, insecure much?

No, but unlike you I actually am attractive and know that the only rule you need to follow is not be fat. Past that all that matter are your face, your sense of fashion and who you are. You physique is irrelevant to anyone who doesnt have a sub 100IQ. If you want to gain muscles because you want to be stronger, then thats fine, but please dont delude yourself into believing that it makes you more attractive. Kenshirou and Ryou are the epitome of unatttractive males in regards to physique.

And only sub 80 IQ mongrels like the average "manly" 80s designs. Whats youre point? Both styles cater to certain groups. Has to suck to be you when you cant even look past the physique of a character. Not gonna say that modern characters are likeable, but holy hell even the average harem protag has more depth than what we got in the 80s. Youre not even the person who is fucked most. I am into space operas and historical shows with a focus on politics and dialogue. I get one of those every what? 5 years? You at least have your "manly" brainlet trash once a sesaon or can just watch Dragonball to fill the void.

Subaru is a good character with a lot of development, he just isn't appealing to many people (me included) because he's a terrible person having a slow mental breakdown.
Also I haven't watched the TG anime, but going by the manga he's a terrible example of what you're trying to portray for many reasons.

>Kenshirou and Ryou are the epitome of unatttractive males in regards to physique.

user, I never before saw someone that could cram so much shit into a single post. I don't know if I am impressed or absolutely disgusted, but in either way you earned it, you colossal faggot.

The perfect male physique has been static ever since the Greeks defined it. That has not changed and it will mostly likely never change. So like I said, go ahead, chug another protein shake, eat 6 appropriately sized meals a day, try to gain more and more musclemass, but please dont ever call yourself attractive. You arent, and if you still havent realized that then you will never be.

Damn user, I'm flattered you think I'm into bodybuilding or some shit. But no, I just know what I find sexually attractive.

>cuck

Found the crossboarder. Please lurk more before posting on Sup Forums. For such context, we usually use "beta faggots".

Ignoring the fact that this bait image contrasts characters from 3 decades to one
Most anime from back then had shitty mcs like amuro or ataru and literal children non-dimensional MCs most of the time

Anime with adult characters nowadays aren't usually made for action drip-feed brainlets

>don't use that ugly Sup Forums terminology, use dated /r9k/ terminology instead

Nostalgia, with a few exceptions the old protagonists weren't that different from nowadays.
Just as shallow and lacking in personality.

>"beta faggots"
>/r9k/

How new are you? Sup Forums's been using beta faggots since forever.

>The perfect male physique
it looks masculine and has muscles.

I cant help it to love that pic of shinji so much

Yes, shortly after /r9k/'s inception and it permeating every other board along with the retarded misogynist ideology of dear old athens.
Sup Forums was always the last to pick things up and the last to let go of them

sounds like you'd be better off going to you insecure fatboy

Market orientation. Making protagonist younger strikes better sales with target audience. You are not the target audience. However that's not a bad thing either, it's just you who's into wrong field of entertainment.

Being /fit/ and still sad because you can't touch your waifu is the true patrician way to live.

And i can't see the appeal of the older main characters. They were literally and ironically incredibly incredibly bland and cheesy.
Exactly, hell even more so except for a few exceptions.

You'd have to be baiting or just ignorant to think that Joe Yabuki was a bland character.

>lack of development
>MC having harem
Subaru doesn't have those.

That's because OP didn't watch it.

>Before a lot of main characters were more mature and have more development and story to their character itself
>Puts Subaru and Kaneki who have lots of character development on the modern characters.

but joe is dead and guts was raped by a nigger.

Fuck off moefag.

And modern ones arent? Because i am getting sick of these beta faggot MCs.
Where is my Onizuka

>joe is dead
So?

Based on your image its pretty clear what kind of person you are.

He still is beta faggot

You basically want Subaru to become like the archbishop of greed then, and he is NOT a good guy.

Aiight but why though?

Are you retarded?
Being an alpha guy doesn't mean to be evil and shit, that's stupid.

>Subaru closes his hands around Larry's skinny neck, squeezing down as he presses Larry's back against the wall. Larry struggles as he is lifted up against the wall, the force on his neck compounding as Subaru strangles him.
>He is raised until he is on even eye level with Subaru. Larry's eyes bulge as he is choked, his mouth flapping open and shut in search of oxygen. But his windpipe has been forcibly blocked, and Larry will not be saved.
>“Now do you realise how many times I've met you guys total?”
>“Khhg, hgh...”
>“Eighty-eight. Good for you how your share's always increasing. You're meant to laugh.”
>Says Subaru as he glares at Larry's face—growing bloodier, and running with spit and tears.
>Larry has no leeway to say anything, of course. Actually forget about leeway—having lost any capacity to resist, his body falls limp and Subaru dumps him to the ground.
>After looking down at the defeated trio, Subaru starts stomping their necks just in case. Once he feels the crunch of something breaking beneath his sneaker's heel, he can relax.
>Tom has such a big neck that it takes five good stomps to do it. Subaru just can't get the trick down for this guy. Though every so often his luck is good and he does get them all in one go.
>“Wasn't smart to strangle him. ...Feels gross too, won't do it again.”

----

>The spillovers of battle echo behind him, distant.
>Buildings collapse one after another throughout the blazing Capital, shrieks and wails echoing through. Children calling for parents, parents calling for children, men calling for women, women calling for men in the screeching pandemonium.
>Yes. This is the hell that Subaru created.
>Created this, destroyed Reinhardt's false image, and achieved his goal.
Does this count?

Subaru is a better MC than all of those on the left

One is reachable for the contemporary japanese male.

Then what do you want? What is alpha to you? Punching women who talk shit? Being a dad? Trying to fight fate? Becoming a leader through hard work and training? Pulling his partially dismembered body to his oni waifu to die beside after trying to save a child? Making jokes and puns about how he lost an eye and being killed multiple times for the sake of his kekkaiku?

It's learning how to box.

Not him but taking the ayamatsu into account is a strech

Too bad ayamatsu was not the permanent. Edgy as fuck, but fun as hell.

People get dumber over time, it's a natural cycle. As people get dumber, anime needs to pander to the dumber people.

>No wait, that was [any other era] since writing in the 80s was absolute dogshit.

Grow up. 80s writing ruled, it was very simple, but also very effective and well crafted. Allot of modern writers try to make their characters deep and nuanced, but fuck it up so hard that they just come off as silly or totally bland because of how beta they are written to be ( like Emiya from FSN, or every Isekai harem protagonist ever).

> You physique is irrelevant to anyone who doesnt have a sub 100IQ.

Twigs don't get laid, you don't have to be Kenshiro, but women do expect you to be in shape man.

>Most anime from back then had shitty mcs like amuro

How is Amuro a bad protagonist ?

What I do find interesting is that, in the 70s and 80s we had allot of muscle bound heroic protagonists, and yet this was an ideal that Japanese young males were not reaching for the most part. The 90s and even some parts of the early 00s had a bit more appeal to the edgy, criminal, outsider type - allot of cyberpunk rebels, space cowboy criminals and the like. Yet again, that is not what young Japanese men were like. Now half the MCs are shrimpy useless otaku, something that many young Japanese males are. So what caused this change ? Instead of using exaggerated masculinity and heroism to fuel positive change in their own behavior, they opted for self inserts that only differs from them in the fact that even though they are shrimpy and useless, inside their game worlds, or with the help of some sort of magic they can become useful and attractive? I'm guessing that Japanese young men are feeling more worthless than ever. They need to be validated, and told that despite their wimpyness and uselessness that they still matter, and that they do not actually have to improve themselves to have worth.

I can't imagine that this is helping the population crisis at all.

Fuck you for making me realize that Bobobo as a series is sixteen years old.

>Q: Subaru said he could bench-press about 80kg; was he going to a gym regularly?
>A: His high school had a weight room, at least.
>Q: Please tell me Mr. Cat and Subaru’s training menu, body fat percentage, and BMI!
>A: Subaru does roughly one hundred push-ups, sit-ups, and squats every day, while cursing the world. I just do around thirty minutes of muscle training and run for an hour.
>Q: If I do muscle training with the same menu as Subaru, will I be able to reach the same level of performance?!
>A: You can!
>Q: On Earth, around what position would Subaru’s strength be?
>A: Out of those not in after-school club activities, he’d be one of the stronger ones; about that.

This was before he got isekai'd. the man works hard and takes risks, but the world just likes to shit on him. Plus his horrid personality pre-Rem didn't help either.

>Grow up
strong rebuttal

>but also very effective and well crafted
thats the equivalent to using a buzzword. what the hell is an effectively written character? A character that fits the setting its being thrown into? Well, if the overall plotline is simple then the characters really wont have much trouble being equally dull to match it. I wouldnt really say that something is well crafted if its flat, either. Sure, there arent a lot of blunder, but if you only take a handful of variables instead of a dozen, well then the character obviously is at less risk to look inconsistent. That doesnt make it good, its just makes it consistent in its simplicity. 80s writing is BY FAR the worst writing in the mediums history. It was a shocking step down from the 70s and pales compared to all decades that come after. The fact that you bring up character from shitty VN adaptations doesnt strengthen your point, either. Modern characters are bad on average, sure. But 80s character were not only worse, but ot even the good ones were particularly well written. 80s anime has a legacy for its scifi aesthetics, which havent been surpassed since, nothing else.

> Subaru does roughly one hundred push-ups, sit-ups, and squats every day, while cursing the world.
This. Especially the part about cursing the world, which is the patrician way of becoming /fit/.

Wait, this is all Subaru? What happened to him? Where can I read the LN? I've only watched the anime but this has gotten me really interested.

Subaru snapped and basically said fuck it and literally set an entire country on fire then got the appropriately edgy nickname of Natsuki "The Butcher" Subaru. Its a WN chapter so better learn your nip or ask around for the mega link.

And what was his personality like post shit girl?

Closest one that came to mind
>shit girl
Fuck you

>Twigs don't get laid,
Except the do your face and height are much more important.
Muscularity is only a large factor if you're gay.

One of the things that you notice is that the anime protag has gotten blander and blander. They are a generic empty box now, whereas before they had their own personalities. Sure tropes existed just like they do now but tropes didn't define a character, whereas now they do.

There are, of course, exception to this rule in modern anime. But that's the general trend...

>80s anime has a legacy for its scifi aesthetics, which havent been surpassed since
Well atleast you admit that. Do you hate all 80s anime or do you like atleast few of them

Characters on the left are very cartoonish
The ones on the right are realistic

So? Lupin is still great character even if he is cartoonish

If anything, what happened is that character designers got really lazy.

Lupin is memorable partly because he is so cartoonish looking.

The best anime MCs are usually girls

My alltime top 12 has 4 movies/shows from the 80s. But again, thats almost exclusively for the respective visuals. The vast majority of my favourite movies are from the 80s (with the exclusion of Tekkon Kinkreet and I guess EoE). If we include LotGH it'd be 5, but thats more 90s than it is 80s.

Look in the right places.

I am glad they havent tried to chance his look for modern

>Touma
>Realistic
Yes, he's your average high school boy you can find anywhere

There's room for minor variations but, yeah, you just don't mess with what's already perfect.

Funnily enough he took the fate Satella probably put him in that world to do.

And heavens forbid the MC of a fucking fictional media of not being realistic!

>tfw new lupin season
I am first time in years actually hype for anime

Reminder Tappei only gives in order to take

I hate that harem MCs are wimpy faggots
If I were in some kind handsome I would immediately seek for pussy

>thinks twink body is what women want

You're underage aren't you?

I am pretty excited over the new series taking place in France.

>Modern writers try to make their characters deep and nuanced, but fuck it up so hard that they just come off as silly or totally bland because of how beta they are written to be ( like Emiya from FSN, or every Isekai harem protagonist ever).
This so much, I can't for the life of me understand how people actually think that Shirou is a good character in any way.I remember wanting to tear my eyes out in the Fate route every time I saw his dumb face or heard him mutter some incomprehensible shit if he touched Saber's hand or something equally retarded.