Is there anything as good as Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, Millennium Actress...

Is there anything as good as Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, Ergo Proxy, Neon Genesis Evangelion, or Paprika yet?

Fuck off and kill yourself, newfag.

Boku no Pico

Not right now.

Yes but I won't tell you.

Stop baiting the contrarians.

Pretty sure theres something for better for every single genres these are part of.

I'm pretty sure there's not.

Well OK I guess. But I must not have watched a lot of mecha if you think the Patlabor and NGE are the best the genre has to offer.

I don't consider NGE or Patlabor mecha.

They are probably the only mecha shows he has even seen. The list in OP screams of "I watched maybe 100-200 shows that are on every shitty recommendation list and now think I have seen the best of anime".

>those shows are shitty
>doesn't name better shows
k

It isn't surprising that you seem unable to research things for yourself considering you also seem to have difficulty reading.

So basically, you have only watched EoE and the Patlabor movies, particularly the second one considering that you also ride the dick of GitS.

I realized the other day that Serial Experiments Lain could in fact be non-fiction, even at this very moment. MKUltra (etc, put loosely) was investigating the use of radar to induce sleep and behavioral changes in primates. They investigated thermal and sub-thermal means. Russia had similar projects, and they delved into false memory formation, deletion, and realtime alteration of a notion of context, self, and subsequent predictions concerning reality. Far more effective than the more crude trauma based dissociation and compartmentalization used historically to program people.

Pulsed ELF and microwave fields alter calcium flux, and thus membrane potential, likely by acting on the voltage sensor of voltage gated calcium channels. The known potential of this likely doesn't even approach the classified MKUltra and Soviet material.

Name a better show since you seem so intent on it.

I watched all of Evangelion, the Patlabor series, and the first two movies. I couldn't find a BDMV of the third way back whenever and didn't bother for some reason.

Then how do you reach the conclusion that they arent mecha? Do you just redefinie genre affiliation as you see fit or what is it I am missing here?

Shin Sekai Yori

I guess I just don't frame it that way. "Mecha" broadly isn't even really a category in my mind. I can see Patlabor though, but not Evangelion. More to mecha than just piloting large, often vaguely humanoid shapes, if I force it as a category.

Try Boku no Pico mate.

Mecha is just kids toy commercials right? Evangelion and Patlabor are serious works of art. Not for children.

>More to mecha than just piloting large, often vaguely humanoid shapes, if I force it as a category.
Then Evangelion is more mecha (in this case super-robot) since the aspect of being a pilot is actually way more fleshed out than it is in Patlabor, but whatever. No idea what the hell youre on about. So basically you just redefine genre affiliation as you deem appropriate. Guess thats where this conversation ends.

Yes. Genre is fairly arbitrary and the delineation between them is both fuzzy and incredibly fine grained. Categorical thinking is very useful, but there are places it shouldn't be applied else it quickly becomes unnecessary overhead.

The beings in Evangelion are at their core composed of biological machinery. The elements that form around this generally bar such a thing from fitting in with the then "other" mecha.

Already watched boku no pico, honestly it wasn't that bad, if anyone wants to watch a good refreshing anime, this is definitely one of em

Blame!

Kill yourself.

>Ergo Proxy
>Texhnolyze
>Paprika
>good
Hang yourself. Please.

Not right now.

You should. Fucking waste of oxygen.

Not right now.

^

>Ghost in the Shell
characters used as mouth pieces to sell an incredibly simple story, philosophical conlcusion is almost laughable and had been reaches or discussed in scifi literature for a very long time at that point, the visuals are only impressive when a dismembered mech is being shown and most of the environments are so cold, realistic and soulless that one could come to the conclusion that it was traced

>Patlabor
TV is good, OVA is a mess, second movie basically has the same issues as GitS, simply replicating a real environment is not impressive since all it requires is the ability to replicate, it doesnt require the artist to actually create his own ficitional universe and make the world look coherent, this is why Oshiis movies, while looking realistic, will never even remotely come close to masterpieces such as MacrossDYRL or Venus Wars

>Perfect Blue
a movie that fails to create a feeling of sickness and anxiety even though that being its entire purpose, horror/thriller does not work in drawn form and this movie is the proof for it

>Ergo Proxy
really?

>Neon Genesis Evangelion
technically speaking hard to compare to anything, even what is usually referred to as an Eva knockoff (RahXephon, which is the overall way better tv series), but as far as mecha go there are a lot shows that have been better prior to it and after it, unless we focus on the strictly "psychological aspect", in which case there isnt a show it can be compared to so sure, nothing has surpassed it in that regard, in still pales compaired to shows that are somewhat close to it (RahXephon, Fafner), especially if you exclude EoE

>Paprika
another "wow dude i am tripping balls" movie that hasnt even been attempted ever since, really original gotta say. i mean, based on general opinion i guess I could just claim that Garden of Sinners is better but I dont think so myself so why bother, they are as meh as Paprika

>Texhnolyze

Stein;gate was pretty good mindfuck anime.
Knights of Sidonia was good, although it's not complete, but you can read the manga.
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku is missing from your list, as must watch old anime.

>philosophical conlcusion is almost laughable
Elaborate.

>the visuals are only impressive
Provide examples of impressive visuals.

>it doesnt require the artist to actually create his own ficitional universe and make the world look coherent
Provide examples of decoherence or gaps in logic and substance.

>a movie that fails to create a feeling of sickness and anxiety even though that being its entire purpose
Why is this all it can be?

>really?
Elaborate.

>unless we focus on the strictly "psychological aspect",
Why would we do that? The psychological aspect can only exist and be manifested proper within the broader context. It's a two way dynamic, one is not a vehicle for the other. Unfortunately I never got around to watching RahXephon.

>another "wow dude i am tripping balls"
Not at all. It's just another avenue based on sollipsism and the notion of a discrete sense of individual selfness that experience is generated by and derived from.

>Elaborate
i wont explain gits conclusion and intention to you. read up on it, do the research related to scifi literature and there you go. it wasnt revolutionary in the slightest and considering the dead as fuck cast (like all oshii movies) too weak to stretch it over 90minutes.

>Why is this all it can be
i dont know. if you really wanna praise that movie for its social criticism of the idol industry then go ahead and do it, but then this kinda becomes pointless since the conclusion is ever weaker than gits.

>Provide examples of impressive visuals
you need me to elaborate why movies that could technically be traced from real world world pictures while also almost exclusviely making us of different shades of grey for their respective colorization colorization are less visually impressive than a fictional universe that was created from scratch and not only depicts a vast amount of completely different environments but also makes use of many differing color palettes? really? youre not worth my time. and I already provided examples, two should be enough.

>Why would we do that
because tahts teh only thing EVA has going for itself. its production value drops too hard over the course of the second season, the character designs are a mess from an artistic standpoint, id also say that the cast itself is but hey some people like mentally challenged teenagers who JUST NEED TO BE THEMSELVS. what sells EVA is the psychological theme (and maybe part of its symbolism), outside of that the show has nothing that is good/top of the genre, wasnt even at its time to be honest its one of my top25ish shows nonetheless

cba to write any more than this. list is riddled with muh psychological drama/thrillers that have not been a thing since then, so its obvious that they havent been surpassed in their respective gernes. quite frankl;y, you look like a high schooler to me for thinking any of this shit is deep by scifi standards.

Don't give a reply to obvious bait and/or 15 years old fags.

Eureka Seven

Outlaw star

>less visually impressive
I don't think this is a good point. Less need to be inventive? Sure. Inherently less visually impressive? Certainly not, the amount of attention to detail creating characters that move in that realistic way and inhabit a realistic world takes is extremely high and pulling it off while convincing the viewer that it might as well be a real world takes a lot of skill on the part of background artists and animators. The fact that this kind of realism can come across as if it might be traced to some viewers is evidence of that skill in itself.

>i wont explain gits conclusion and intention to you.
You don't have to. I was referring to the suggestion that it was laughable.

>you need me to elaborate why movies that could technically be traced from real world world pictures
Yes. Provide examples. It did what it needed to, and it did it well. I want to see it not just done right and different, but done better.

>you look like a high schooler to me for thinking any of this shit is deep by scifi standards
I'm 24 and haven't watched anything since I was ~18. I generally don't require a medium to explicitly and directly "go there", as long as the underlying framework is in place.

Again, I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate. I still don't understand.

Dennou Coil, Robot Carnival, Memories.

Pluto

OP should be thanking these kind anons for their recommendations.

Despera never.

I thank these kind anons for their recommendations.

If we're talking distinctive art direction and mindfuckiness elements, try Tatami Galaxy, I guess?

Reminder that Squealer did nothing wrong.

Evangelion is the only good thing you posted.

it doesnt. the movie still deosnt look realistic, it just looks realistic for a work of fiction. again, patlabor and gits are the perfect examples of movies that create "fictional worlds" that look like they could almost be traces. i am not talknig about animation but simple backgrounds. tracing backgrounds isnt impressive, replication a construction site isnt impressive, realism itself only pushes the medium forward if its in form of animation (see akira), because thats actually something that is hard to accomplish. i mean you can think whatever it is you want, but creating a coherent universe from scratch requires so much for effort and imagination on the artists end that its not even funny, which is exactly why nausicaa will always be miyazakis most visually impressive work. yes, gits and patlabor2 have some exceptional animation, but when it comes to art direction they simply pale compared to many movies that came before them. i wont argue that they did a good job at pulling off what they tried to accomplished, becuase they did, but honestly: if you see gonzo make some low budget flick, you expect it to have bad animation, they tell if will have bad animation and it ends up having bad animation, then you wont praise them for your expectations or their intentions to have been met, either. or to put it simlpe: something pulling off what it tried to do doesnt make it good.

Will this fucking trash thread ever get deleted? Lazy mods.

Mind game

No, because I'm the main character right now, and it's not supposed to happen. The plot comes across very predictable and highly contrived.

I think you are completely wrong. Making a realistic feeling world can be just as difficult as creating any kind of imagined one. You can do literally whatever you want with an imagined one as long as it makes internal sense in the story. Creating a realistic one though, if any small detail is off you can destroy immersion and believability the world those characters inhabit and undermine the entire production. There is nothing traced about the film either Ogura is one of the most skilled and respected background artists in the industry.

This. Think about it this way, we have billions of cortical neurons with 30k+ dendritic connections between them, all arranged into networks created by decades of signal input. This is why realism is such a fine line to walk, even small inconsistencies that we don't have the architecture to cleanly bring into the conscious frame, will cause jarring effects. It's very difficult.

Look into the design of CGI environments. Even something as simple as how certain geometry is apt to crack, how dirt collects, how materials scatter light at certain angles, all of it is very delicate and must either be accurate and consistent, or universally omitted.

>You can do literally whatever you want with an imagined one as long as it makes internal sense in the story
you dont have the slighest clue how hard it is to make something look coherent. why the hell do you think that almost everything nowadays happens in a high school setting? why scifi is hardly a thing anymore? sure as hell not because an artist has a field day creating a fictional world, particularly an actual scifi one. what you seem to be unable to comprehend is that a small detail in a relastic depiction wont really be off because you can just look at the source and copy it respectively. if you wanna talk about "realistic detail" then tekkon kinkreet completely destroys both these movies while also actually depicting a proper fictional world. if you wanna go for realism then both gits and patlarbor get completely fucked by garden of words and kimi no na wa anyway.

>any small detail is off
this also is completely fucking retarded. we are talking about scifi here. a detail not being realistic doesnt destroy anything you mongrel, its the point of the genre. not even gonna start on the fact taht you still talk about realism when neither gits nor patlabor2 look realistic, they simply look IN COMPARISON TO lets say nausicaa or other scifi flicks.

Why can you not find GitS beautiful.

i think that the scenes where it shows disassembles mecha parts are beautiful, because thsoe are actually creative and have somewhat vivid color palettes.

>why the hell do you think that almost everything nowadays happens in a high school setting?
You think anime is in a school setting because of background art? Where do people like you even come from?
>a proper fictional world
So why is Tekkon Kinkreet a "proper fictional world" as compared to GiTS? Seems like an arbitrary distinction you are making to me.
>its the point of the genre
Sci-fi being unrealistic is the point of sci-fi? You make statements like that why calling other people retarded? You are aware there are sub genres of sci-fi that specifically strive for realism above all else right?

Do you not find muted color palettes to be capable of beauty?

The impression I am mostly getting is "it isn't colourful so it cant be good art" and then a whole lot of rationalisation of that opinion.

they can be beautiful but they arent visually impressive when all they do is depict reality. there is nothing impressive to copying what you see, unless its animation.

>You think anime is in a school setting because of background art
its reoocuring simple settings that are most being used. why do you think shows like flip flappers are regarded so highly by a lot of people? sure as hell not because proper art direction is a common occurence.

>why is Tekkon Kinkreet a "proper fictional world" as compared to GiTS
becasue it actually changed the world in a distinct way. you look outside the window on a rainy day and its grey. you basically copy what you see. thats what gits and patlabor are. fictional reproduction of dreary and somber environments. the amount of creativity required to create them is minor. tekkon kinkreet is an unrealistic environment with ridiculous architecture, structures and color palettes. not something you can just copy when you step foot outside the door. you seem to thnk that a person can just swing a brush and make something look coherent.

>sub genres of sci-fi that specifically strive for realism above all else right?
i dont know, maybe gits and patlabor tried to be realistic with their androids, the purple hair or the mechs. cant really tell. think i might have met batou at the supermarket yesterday.

angels egg isnt colorful either (its color palette is fairly limited) yet its art direction is way more visually impressive than gits or patlabor. it just happens to be the case that most works with impressive fictional environments actually make use of a vast amount of palettes, not much i can do about it

>there is nothing impressive to copying what you see, unless its animation.
Where in the process of deconstruction does copying end and creation begin?

Most of the series you've listed are pretentious bullshit.

>its reoocuring simple settings that are most being used
They are but your attempt to establish a causal relationship there is silly at best. The primary reason for those shows being made has very little to do with lazy art direction and much more to do with trends and popularity.

>becasue it actually changed the world in a distinct way
Are you saying GiTS didn't? In your very next point you are stating how it is different from the real world.

>cant really tell. think i might have met batou at the supermarket yesterday.
You are confusing similarity to the real world and realistic fictional depictions here.

No, you.

You dont know what pretentious means

>The primary reason for those shows being made has very little to do with lazy art direction
i mean, i personally feel like this actually isnt even true because the reason why the industry looks like that is because of the source material it adapts. if there was more better designed scifi in manga, or properly crafted scifi environments in form of lns, then i am fairly sure that those would actually be more common. but thats just a hunch, i obviously have nothing to abck this up. but it sure as hell deosnt help that something like blame/knight of sidonia was turned into the travesty it is.

>Are you saying GiTS didn't?
i guess distinct was the wrong term. lets go with striking, then. i already acknowledged that certain aspects of gits art direction are great, particulaly the disassembled mechs/androids, but those make up for a fraction of the overall design. the depiction of the city, its buildings and structures is significantly less lifted from reality (in both palettes as well as overall design) and the rooms signficantly less detailed (color palette bit obviously applies as well).

>similarity to the real world and realistic fictional depictions
my point from the beginning has been that the movie and its environemtn look too similar to what you see when you look outside of the windows, particularly the shots of the construction sites. why are you suddenly acting like that is something that is/was unclear (patlabor obviously is even more guilty of that)?

Why is request threads allowed when Serial Experiments Lain is named dropped? What the fuck is this bullshit?

going to bed now. if the thread is still up by the time i wake up guess we can continue this. ill leave some pretty picture behind

>tfw so smart that lain was boring

Yes, The Asterisk Wars.

>You look like a high schooler
>I haven't watched any anime since I was a high schooler
Good job proving him wrong.

I dropped out when I was 16 so I was no longer a high schooler.

Nobody watches NGE for the Mecha part though, so just describing it's genre as "Mecha" doesn't do it justice.
Saying that puts it on the same level as Gundam which has a completely different fanbase

Well, I do certainly agree we can't put Eva on the same level as Gundam.

why is this /r/ thread still up?

Because.

Texhnolyze was shit, GitS is also overrated. Akira is better than all of them.

>Texhnolyze
>good

I don't have a smug loli big enough for this.

>Robot Carnival
Presence and Deprive are the only good shorts.

psycho pass was immaculate.

Elaborate.

Is there anything as good as The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon, Horus: Prince of the Sun, Heidi, Anne, Conan or Marco yet?

It's a boring anime everyone is afraid to admit it's shit because of it's cult following of being "patrician".

It's constant recommendation and praise is by definition a meme.

This is entirely correct.

If it's boring, why wasn't I bored?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I jacked off more to Kuroinu and KanojoxKanojoxKanojo. Unless it has fap value, anime is shit to be perfectly honest.

>character designs are a mess
hahaha HAHAHAHAHA

Despera fucking NEVER EVER

Seasonal shiteaters are the new contrarians user.

Monster and LOGH

The tv shows you faggots worship were once "seasonal"

ur mom

If you liked LOGH you might also want to try Dougram.

I could recommend some but you have shit taste so nevermind.

I really wouldnt consider Rei, Shinji or Asuka to be visually well designed characters.

Yes many

>let me put lain in this list of great anime to bait anons

1/10, made me reply

>One anime I don't like is listed.
>Let me point out to everyone how much of a faggot I am.