Are you looking forward to the new godzilla anime movie?

Are you looking forward to the new godzilla anime movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

toho.co.jp/theater/ve/godzilla/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm somewhat excited to see how they'll handle this Godzilla. Especially since he's not a dinosaur or even an animal in this movie. He's literally an overgrown plant.

i want old godzilla to be my grandpa

Yeah just to see what they do with it. If the first movie sucks then I won't bother with the other two.

I'm hyped for Grandpa goji but I think the worst aspect of the anime is Polygon pictures CGI. It will scare a lot of people off.

As far as anime CGI goes I think theirs is some of the more tolerable anime CGI even if it could be much better.

Also CGI only really scares westerners off anyway. Japanese clearly dont give a fuck if they like the story given the success of things like Sidonia adaptation and Kemono Friends.

What the fuck is even this shit

The cg looks ugly, but the trailer is too little to judge if will be handled well or not regardless.
Just cautiously optimistic.

You think so? I think it's mid-tier. Toei so far has the best 3D.

They do have a problem with it, you'll see that if you go through their reactions.
I'm pretty sure they've chosen Polygon because they wanted to pander to the west, that's pretty much it.

Sidonia wasn't that big of a success it only averaged 5k and Kemono is a unique phenomenon.

Sidonia averaged 7.5k, second season was 5k. Kemono Friends is unique in the size of its success sure, but the studio behind it has had a small dedicated fanbase for a long time.

Also since when did 3D pander to westerners? Almost any westerner who is into anime detests 3D anime even the most casual of them. Only if they were targeting completely normalfag westerners with no regard for the likely core audience would 3D be a good tactic there.

You only have to look at it from the producer's point view to know why they decided on 3D and why that studio in particular.

Making western animations in 3D and making anime in 3D are two very different things and the Japanese are very aware of this. One of the top guys at Polygon often explains this in interviews he gives.

See and . It's almost like he's rotting from age

Sure, but this anime is marketed not just for japs, so they made some special considerations. It's going to be available worldwide through Netflix right from the get go.

The logic really isn't making much sense when Netflix has commissioned 6 or 7 2D animated shows just recently to be distributed globally immediately. If they wanted 3D for the international audience wouldn't they have wanted 3D for those shows too?

This made me remember I loved Polygon's work in Tron Uprising, wish they'd gotten a second season ;_;

>>Sup Forums

not anime or manga

Don't be stupid.

toei > sanzigen > porygon >> gemba

Other studios can't be judged because they outsource CG or haven't made full shows. We can add orange to the list next season.

You think this show was commissioned by Netflix?
This show was in the pipeline since Shin's production and Toho just partnered up with Netflix to take advantage of their platform because it makes the most sense for what they're going for.

I don't think I mentioned this show being commission by Netflix anywhere. I was responding to the previous poster who seemed to be suggesting that since it was getting worldwide distribution on Netflix they went for 3D. That doesn't really make a great deal of sense when Netflix is going to be globally distributing a whole bunch of 2D anime very soon.

I think Toho chose Polygon because of their track record and because it got awards and they worked on 'merican shows so they thought 'mericans must really love that studio.

It's a miscalculation I think, they should have chosen Madhouse.

I am fairly sure prior to Kemono Friends Knights of Sidonia was the most successful full CG proper anime to have been made in Japan so I don't think it would be a decision based entirely on what they think people in the west would like. Polygon's BLAME! movie only scored something like 1/2 a point out of five lower than KyoAni's Koe No Katachi on Yahoo movies Japan and 3/4 of a point higher than SHAFTs new film.

Well, there is Expelled from paradise. It sold 70k BDs but that's a movie.

If for whatever reason, they had to make the anime in 3D. They don't have a lot of options, choosing Polygon makes the best sense, since both westerners and japs are familiar with it and Sidonia made a lot of buzz in the industry when it came out even if it wasn't the most lucrative, it gave the studio a lot of good publicity.

I also wouldn't give too much weight to Yahoo movies scores, they tend to be all over the place at least in my experience. Especially in relation to profitability.

Yeah when I was talking about Sidonia I was meaning TV shows. That said 7.5k discs and Netflix bux ignoring any boosts in manga sales is probably an amount of revenue most anime would kill to generate and probably why they're making more sidonia and blame still.

I wasn't trying to make a point about profitability with regard to yahoo movies just Japanese audience responses to their type of animation.

Looking at the theatre release for this film though it looks like they're expecting people to go see in cinema given the amount of screens listed.

>Looking at the theatre release for this film though it looks like they're expecting people to go see in cinema given the amount of screens listed.

How many screens?

Not in a position to count them but
toho.co.jp/theater/ve/godzilla/
That looks like 100+ to me eyeballing it so a mid sized release I guess. Not like Blame on 20-30 screens.

Look at him.

At this point is an old, sad lizard that went through a lot.

I bet dem ningens killed Junior and this resulted in him to actively hate them so hard he G-formed the planet.

Holy shit, Blame was 20-30 screens? That's a very small release.

100 screens confirms that this is an otaku movie, not something for the jap normalfags like Shin.

We actually have the timeline to when he first dropped on earth, til he threw the humans out of the planet.
Unfortunately, no Minilla. Just Orga and other goji friends.

So Biollante ?

Yeah it is definitely the size you'd expect for a popular late night anime than a mainstream release definitely but there are plenty of late night anime that get fewer.