Jesus, the 1999 version of Hunter x Hunter is HORRIBLE

cant believe this is the same source material as the 2011 version. So bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wn5KCWvcFnY
youtube.com/watch?v=7l_x9R6yAxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mu8tmk7vyqM
youtube.com/watch?v=iHc1kB4u2AY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's bad about it?

The GI OVAs don't count. I don't even think they were made by the same staff.

One of the many victims of the early digital transition.

I agree, the animation quality, art consistency, use of color and the OST are far inferior and all the filler is very annoying.

GI OVAs are pure shit, don't even bother with it. On the other hand, the 99s highest point are the Yorkshin OVAs.

The music is especially mediocre in comparison.

There are like 3 filler episode and all of them were good

I love 99 but the filler with the girl on the airship and with Killua fucking with the foxbear on Whale Island was absolute dogshit

>Killua fucking with the foxbear on Whale Island
Gon is not a foxbear.

But the filler with the extra hunter exam and with the elevator girl are really good.

In comparison to the manga at the time, it's easy to see why people would have been fine with any garbage

It wasn't that bad.

>99 is horrible
>posts OVAs made on 2003 that are not even made with the same techniques
Everyone agrees the G.I OVAs are bad.

>GI OVA counting
Eh, I still liked them

TIME TO JUMP

Are you the guy who memes about Basho's jump?
If you think it's ridiculous i'm curious to know your opinion on how Killua jumped while fighting the wheelchair dude in 2011.

when I watched HxH I genuinely thought Kurapika was a girl

first gender bender experience
and it got only worse from there on

reminder

Me too. I was convinced. Made my dick sad.

jesus it was fine while I was watching it but now the 2011 version looks terrible

Kurapika is cute.

Well, he is a very girly trap.

>bishounen
>trap
Get the fuck out

>Kurapika
>Not a trap

reminder

>being retarded enough to believe kurapika is a trap
Faggot

Anyone who dares to say that 1999 is better should neck themselves.

This sums it up pretty much.

>implying
youtube.com/watch?v=wn5KCWvcFnY

I agree that 2011 becomes better, but 99 is much superior during the Hunter Exam. I've heard a lot of people who've only watched the 2011 version and swear by HxH, and yet they still say to just endure the boring first arc when they recommend the show.

The newer one was better except for the York Shin arc. That shit was atmospheric as fuck in the 1999 version.

youtube.com/watch?v=7l_x9R6yAxQ

This is the problem with hxh 2011's music. It doesn't fit the mood at all. Hisoka's theme is a perfect example. This is not who Hisoka is, at all.

>the extra hunter exam
The island of sunken ships? It was fucking great.

still cant believe this show ripped off saitama

I feel dumb for not noticing this until now; why would they complain about 3 filler episodes otherwise?

Spic dub of 99 gave Hisoka a French accent.
youtube.com/watch?v=mu8tmk7vyqM

I'd say it was the only part of the hunter exam that wasn't shit up to that point.

He did crossdress once and we're talking about togashi here, who attempted to make a trap manga before hxh and before the genre took off like it is now. I bet the failed attempt would be quite succesful now.

Do all of the GI ovas look bad, or just the Final ones? I seem to remember the first couple of episodes being decent.

People who shit on 1999 are 2011kiddies who think they're hot shit because they can go online and watch 2011 and suddenly they feel it's a deep show by CA. Basically it's their Catcher and the Rye and anyone who attacks it attacks their ideals and beliefs.

2011 is an example of every problem I have with anime today, while 1999 had some integrity with its presentation.

If nothing else, the 99 series benefits from superior directing.

Its early digital, but theres much worse. The real issue is how long it is. They apparently had to make a number of episodes though, so they stretched GI way too long. I generally start 2011 at greed island after watching 99 and the yorksin ovas. 2011 failed to even reveal kite until after, and has much shittier animation in comparison to 99 and the ovas, but the greed island ovas last much too long. Coincidentally, greed island is the only time when 2011s atrocious ost actually fits the scenes. I wiish they just took the OST from 99, because god damn is it awful.

1/2

Your webm reminded me of the retards who memed the smears of those scenes as if smears were a sign of bad animation.
And yeah, 99 is far superior until GI.

2/2 lol

Don't be fucking obtuse. Only 3 episodes were pure filler, but everything else is still a quarter to half filler content.

damn, I regret watching the 2011 version. Left me with a bad impression and made me lose interest

1999 = FMA = Hellsing

2011 = FMA:B = Hellsing Ultimate

99>11
FMA:B>FMA
Don't know about Ultimate, though.

I don't have any problems with '99 GI. I felt Biscuit was handled better there as an older sister-type who still had an immature streak to her vs. the bratty moeblob know-it-all of 2011. Plus, her design there actually got the point of what she's based on.

Greed Island OVAs aside which were universally hated, I have never understood the dislike for 99. For a show with a tv budget it had very good animation, fantastic direction, and for as little as it covered it covered it much better than the 2011 version. That being said I was never that big on Naruto being the voice of Gon, and the ost was often hit or miss.

Aside from the pure filler episodes, the only filler I remember is little orphan Annie (which was pretty decent) and that guy who was hanging out with them before the actual exam in one of the first episodes and pretended to twist his ankle to get a piggy back ride.

only started watching 2011 for the ant ark
and I'm glad I skipped the stuff before

but similar to your experience with hxh
for me it was full metal alchemist where I had that feeling

still don't know why people are shitting so much on fma before the reboot
sure, when they caught up with the manga it turned wonky, but
the first part was well made and way more detailed

Add on to that, the 'filler' added more to the characters and made you give a shit about them. Leorio especially is handled better than he is in 2011.

>That being said I was never that big on Naruto being the voice of Gon
Other way around, HxH came before Naruto.

>Other way around, HxH came before Naruto.

I know but I only saw HxH years later after the dub for 99 had already come out. So my mind associated it with naruto first.

Then you have a shit memory. I haven't watched it in about two years, but I can confidently say there was filler on the boat, filler during the pre-test with the transforming creatures, the entire first stage of the Hunter Exam was completely changed and dragged out, filler on the airship with the girl going after Killua that also completely changed some events from the manga, and all the fights during the final tournament except Gon vs. Hanzo were filler.

>Add on to that, the 'filler' added more to the characters and made you give a shit about them.
Kurapika was fine and your mileage may vary on Leorio (I dislike giving Leorio added angst since I like that he's not that kind of guy, but that's my opinion), but Gon and Killua were butchered.

Confession: Same here.

>filler during the pre-test with the transforming creatures
Um, the Kiriko are canon.

I'm mostly taking about the hallucination tree that triggered his flashback, and the episode where Killua came to Whale Island. The latter showed Killua a look in Gon's life and also how different their lives are. A good way to show how their friendship was, rocky but optimistic.

99 yorkshin absolutely nails the atmosphere of it.

Not to mention fantastic visuals that really make use of having an OVA's budget

Obviously they are canon, you dipshit. A bunch of the content of the episode was added for the anime.

I wasn't aware that 99 even came to the states, let alone was dubbed.

Funimation didn't advertise much that they dubbed it, even though they made a killing off of YYH and this was by the same author. By the standards of the time when the dub came out, it was ok, but it has almost no one of note in the english cast. Which might have worked somewhat in its favor because at least they didn't sound like the same people the company always used. I remember Kurapika's dub voice being awful though, even by the standard Sup Forums makes of all dubs being bad, he was still really bad.

No shit, the anime was in production at the time of the manga still getting off the ground. Of course they add material to fit twenty minutes in. I'd rather that than drag on an episode with explanations and mouthflaps.

All anime does that, all anime should do that. A 1:1 transcription never works, you have to take some liberties if you want a product that stands out.

dumb madhousefag

I don't care if you think it's good or not. Saying "there's no filler in 99" is just an unequivocally false statement.

Not him but i don't see anyone claiming that

Ocean Group dubbed '99. And as for the voices, I like that Gon sounds like an actual twelve year-old borderlining on puberty, Killua sounding like a brat, Kurapika isn't bad, compared to the 2011 VA who sounds too sultry and Leorio sounds much better than whoever's doing him in 2011.

A big one is Hisoka, he sounds good in '99 but sounds too smarmy in 2011. Worse, apparently his '99 VA wanted to come back to the new show.

I didn't say '99 didn't have filler, just that the Kiriko weren't filler. Maybe you should have worded your post better.

>Ocean Group dubbed '99.
Oh, my mistake

2011 was one of the worst animes I've ever watched. How terrible is the 1999 one? Is it at least better than naruto?

>A big one is Hisoka, he sounds good in '99 but sounds too smarmy in 2011
he is smarmy though

guy walks around with a shitty grin and likes to annoy at times

Someone please post Kalluto of 99. I've never so in love with a drawing as with that one.

see . You know, the post I was actually responding to, but I guess it's too hard to thread up.

Who is this cute girl?

Speaking of Hisoka
>the scene in 99 when Gon steals his badge and Hisoka goes insane

2011 kurapika is so ugly

>watching dubs
I want nu-Sup Forums to leave

Who are you quoting?

That was another user, then.

shutup virgin

>"Aside from the pure filler episodes"
>mentions other filler
???

My wife (male).

So pure

youtube.com/watch?v=iHc1kB4u2AY
3:10. He sounds smarmy, but in a subtle way. 2011 sounds OVERLY smarmy. Should have clarified.

T-Then who is this?

the music and the sound in 1999 are so fucking good. I love the kurapika vs ubougin fight so much

The new version was dogshit in comparison

the conclusion of that ark
well, that whole ark was meh

Kalluto was so much cuter the first few times Togashi drew him but he was the epitome of "draw a girl, call it a boy"

ok, this is the only time where the 2011 version outdoes the 99 version. The Uvogin fight was so much beter than the 99 version, and was more clomatic.
The black and white in the end as judgement chain activated really brought out the red of the blood Uvogin spit along with Kurapika's scarlet eyes. That whole sequence of the 2011 one was fantastic. It felt like "this is the begining of Kurapika's Vengeance" A great end for a great foe.

In the 99 version the fight just ends so simply when judgement chain activates. It was way less cathartic. 2011 had a lot more tension. Uvogin dropping dead had weight in the 2011 one.
The only reason why the I assume people would defend the 99 Uvogin fight would be the callback to the blood dripping moon Kurapika shared in his hallucination that is exclusive to the 99 version here

i think its because the 2011 voice is deeper and a bit more drawn out

>him

That scene is beautiful.

>m-muh sakuba smears!

I felt like 2011 made Hisoka a bit too much like the joker, when i watched 99 he felt more deranged and intimidating