Haruhi

Chronological v. Broadcast order, which do you prefer?
I watched it in chronological and there was nothing wrong. I don't really see any benefit that could come from watching it in the broadcast order but I guess next time I rewatch it I'll try that to see what all the hubbub is about

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Broadcast is more satisfying. I love Haruhi forever!

Broadcast makes sense when you're only watching season 1, now that there's a "season 2" and a movie chrono makes more sense. Just make sure you watch the so called "s2" episodes in between the original episodes and not afterwards.

I'm guessing by satisfying you're talking about the ending, which yeah episode 28 was kind of dull but isn't the movie supposed to be more of an end to it than that episode?

I started with broadcast order, so I'm more accustomed to that. Watching it chronologically messed with my head.

The full broadcast, as in you watch season 1 broadcast, then 1 and 2 together, like the second broadcast. Then the movie, then as much endless eight on loop as you can handle.

Id advice against watching the show entirely. Its quite frankly, an utter waste of your time.

I watched it in broadcast first because I didn't know about it. I don't see the point in broadcast order, it doesn't add anything, so I prefer chronological. I prefer Someday in the Rain as the final episode too.

It splits up the first six episodes which are very plot-heavy and it starts you off with the movie episode and then explains what the fuck you've just witnessed.

Chrono is best. Broadcast was just the director being a smartass thinking it would make it a 2deep4u anime & gaining the cult classic label.

This, basically.
If you only watch cronologically, you're missing out on the great buildup of season 1, ending with episode 16 (6 chronological) and THAT KISS.
On the other hand, there IS no broadcast order for season 2 alone, since it aired with season 1 episodes interwoven. You can watch season 2 on its own, and I did when I rewatched the series, but it's not recommendable.
So the best way to enjoy the full Haruhi experiences is:
1. watch season 1 alone, broadcast order.
2. wait a couple of months or years
3. watch season 1 and 2 together, new broadcast order = chronological.
4. watch the movie
5. only faggots skip E8

I think its fine to skip endless eight if you've seen them before, why put yourself through hell again
>KYON-KUN DENWAAA

both have pros and cons. in broadcast order, story are tell in non linear narrative you are given small picture in arc after arc, when you gather all of the small picture assembling them allow you to see the larger picture. self realisation/discovery made the show more satisfying than being spoonfeed in chronological order. but this might complicated the plot and confuse viewer.

watching in chronological order make more sense as we watch the show in linear order where the story flow seamlessly but it also remove the self discovery part and made the show a little bit dull. thus, chronological order is best recommended when rewatching the show. a perfect example of non linear narrative is monogatari series which have high rewatch value if watch in chronological order.

tl/dr i watch in both order if its a show that i really enjoy.

Who /watched endless eight in it's entirety as it aired/ here?

E8 is wasting airing episode that should be compressed into few episode.
i watch it on a hot day and this only raise my discontent, so i skipped/fast forward E8.

At this point and for a newcomer?
Chronological

Endless Eight was one of the most ballsy moves I've seen in fiction. Do you have favorite Endless Eight epsiode (barring first and last)?

>having the climax in the middle of the season
>nothing wrong

watching anything in order other than broadcast only emphisizes how much of a newfag you are

i didn't have choice in what order to watch it, why should you? fucking newfag

My fav moment every day was kyon almost buying yuki a mask but her buying a different one each time
Was relatable to me hesitating so much I guess, always made me melon collie

As for order I watched chronological and still didn't really know what was happening but would recommend it

>didn't really know what was happening
I thought the plot was pretty straight forward in chronological (after the exposition of course)

i'm starting this show today
what are you guys talking about?
there are 28 episodes in the series (14 for s1 and 14 for s2) and a movie right?
could someone explain to me
>pic related are what i was gonna watch

Broadcast order stopped making sense the second S2 came out.

First season didn't have chronological order order; second season had season one in chronological order with new episodes in-between to fit the timeline. More here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes

I've watched it years ago, so I can't really tell by your images what order are your episodes in. Watch the beginning of the first episode and tell me what you see.

Still, watching adventures of Mikuru any other way than as first episode makes no sense.

Most downloads have it in chronological, but looks like your is separated by season. Just try episode 1, if it's very strange and surprising with low quality images it's probably in broadcast order, the right order. You'll know what I mean if it's the episode I'm talking about.

Broadcast is infinitely better if this is your first time with Haruhi.

Nah. Endless Eight and Sigh are unessential side stories and can be watched at any point. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is important to the movie though. It fits in perfectly with S1 broadcast order if you insert it before or after Mysterique Sign.

When S1 was coming out they aired the episodes out of order to give the season a better sense of narrative flow as the second half of the season doesn't have a lot of tension. However, as I said here this doesn't work now that S2 is out because some of the S2 episode take place between S1 episodes, and there is no way to watch S2 other than chronologically.
Plus the Movie solves the problem of the series ending on an anti-climax, so broadcast order is completely irrelevant in nowadays.

I think Yamakan knows a little bit more about art than you do, buddy.

>Endless Eight
>unessential
Pleb, I bet you've never even seen all 8 episodes.

>not liking Endless Eight
>knowing about art

Season 1 only -> Broadcast order
Season 1 + 2 + movie -> Chronological order
The broadcast order made sense when it aired because it had the climax at the end, but now the movie is the climax which goes last one way or another, so chronological order is better if you plan on watching more than just Season 1.

I did, in four blocks of two episodes each over two days. And I honestly found it much better than Sigh. The stories are still mostly unimportant.

My main point is that you should watch BLR alongside S1.

Watching Sighs afterwards fucks with character development

I should add Season 1 + Season 2 -> Season 1 in broadcast order and then Season 2. Although there's no point in watching Season 2 and not watching the movie.
Also, watch as much of Endless Eight as you can. Make sure to watch at least the first, second and last episode of it.

The files that you downloaded are in chronological order. See EP6(the climax of season 1)

Just do what you like, Frenchie. In my opinion, broadcast order is better than the chronological because later you put the pieces together in your brain to create a whole, coherent story.

sorry i'm late
it starts with some guy narrating

should i just watch them as they are ordered in my file here

No.

Dont listen to these chronologgical. fucks. Broadcast is the prime way to watch and the only way to experience what people felt back in 07 when the show was first airing.

how then?

is it in broadcast order in the my file?

which was pretty aids because it was known it was not chronologgical.

Here. Take your pick. Your folder is the 2009 rebroadcast, aka chronological order for the whole thing (the right column in my pic)
Whether you chose chronological or broadcast, I suggest watching episode 00 - the adventures of Mikuru Asahina before anything. It's the 2009 - 12 one in your folder.

what's the chronological order?
where can i find it?

Does the first episode start with a big-breasted redhead girl in sexy clothes and her song?

Damn if the show were still alive this would warrant a sticky

thank you. much appreciated

I saw it in broadcast order.
>Kyon keeps referring to "that" moment in closed space
>constantly wondering what is it he's referring to
>see the "final" episode with the talent show
>be a little melancholy that the show is over now, but what a perfect ending
>oh wait, no it isn't, there's still one episode left!
>feels like finding $20 in a pair of jeans you haven't worn in a year
>season now ends with Haruhi admitting she likes Kyon by doing her hair up in a ponytail
>now that's a perfect ending

no that seems to be ep11
it seems mine is in chronological

That's a good climax, but the movie does it even better.

don't take that watching order too seriously, some people like chronological others like broadcast, but everyone love the movie

Just reorder them, then.

Broadcast order is what it is for the specific reason of keeping new viewers in suspense. You can only watch it in broadcast order for the first time once. Don't ruin that experience for you by going chronological, save that for some later rewatch.

It's the one you should watch first. It simply looses most of its charm once you know everything. Also, if it's like this, then you likely have first season in chronological order, then second season in chronological order. The worst way of seeing it.

Watch the episode starting with cute girl and a song first, then use wiki to either go with broadcast or chronological.

Always go broadcast order on your first watch. Chronological is for rewatches.

I watched in in chronological order the first time and I wish I didn't. It really made everything after melancholy VI feel like useless filler. Definitely broadcast is the best way to view it the first time.

Anyone else likes to customize their viewing orders?
What's your favourite way to include Sigh into S1 broadcast order?

I don't really see a point in crafting different watching order for someone who has already seen a work in question (unless it was specifically designed for it.

What if you only intended to watch it once?

"First" does not necessarily mean "first of several". If you haven't watched it before, watch broadcast order.

I've already seen the series several times, but most people don't go into a series intending to watch it more than once.
And what you just said is stupid. If someone were to follow you advice they'd be watching season two in a pants-on-head retarded order.

Makes perfect sense to me.

How does it make any sense at all? Explain it to me.

Not him, but season first is generally considered to be significantly better than "season two". Therefore enhancing your experience with the former might be much better for the overall enjoyment.

Good chart and good post.
I still recommend broadcast order for season 1 to understand it's impact and how the story narrative of that season works, but I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't want to go through the trouble having to reorganize everything since most torrents and DL only have the chronological order for some dumb reason.

But Disappearance is considered to be better than either. So you should be maximizing your enjoyment of that by your logic, which is what chronological order does.

I already posted about putting BLR next to Mysterique Sign since it chronologically plays just before that. (MS first, then BLR would follow the example of Sagittarius and Live a Live)

You could try fitting Sigh around the school festival episodes, but it doesn't add as much to S1. Just watch it as a block.

Season 3 when?

I marathoned the second season overnight without knowing anything about what was in it. I resisted the temptation to look up what people thought of this horror and how many episodes there were, but by ~ #5 in the loop I suspected it would fill the remaining season.

There was some very mild nausea, stockholm, and beaten dog syndrome but I guess it was still a good show, really made you think.

broadcast order made s1 harder to watch in one go than s2, weirdly enough

>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW that haven't watched Haruhi

>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW that haven't watched Code Geass
>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW that haven't watched Eva

Does it really? I don't get why it'd do that. Granted, I've gone for
S1 broadcast -> rest of S2 -> Disappearance,
so I might be missing something.

I think it's a waste getting episodes like live a live and the adventures of Mikuru so fast. S2 will feel poor in comparison if you watch in that broadcast format. Chronological is the only way to go and the first arc being the entire melancholy will get you hooked with the series unless you're one of these anons with shit taste.

Broadcast for first viewing, chrono for rewatches (so things make more sense.)

Placing the first season finale at about the end of the first quarter of the marathon would kill the flow and pacing for me and I probably wouldn't have been able to slog through the whole show at first watch.

just finished it a few days ago. I enjoyed it, but I wish there was more nagato

>but I wish there was more nagato
You're lucky. There is an entire anime about Nagato.

That's a bit disingenuous, it's not the same Nagato.

i tried watching it, but it was bad. It doesnt feel like the same nagato from disappearance of haruhi. it crushed my heart

>It will never be 2006 ever again
>2006 was almost 12 years ago

Always broadcast. It's the way they original inteded the show to be seen. You could end up spoiled on events and characters that the show doesn't want you to now until later if you go with the chronological order. You could also end up knowing more about the plot that the main characters, which could leave scene of them tapping in dark frustriating instead of suspensful. If the show is made in a non-chronological order, then it was also paced and directed that way, having the climax of the show happen mid-season can't be good for your oroginal impressions. If you wanna rewatch it in chronological order that's fine, but I don't see why youwould ever go out of your way to watch the show in a way it wasn't intended.

>It's the way they original inteded the show to be seen.
Okay that's simply not entirely true, it was intended to be like that when only Season 1 was out. There's a reason why it was aired on chronological order when Season 2 was going to start.

>People who are 18 and posting on Sup Forums were 6 or 7 years old when Haruhi aired
It hurts

>aving the climax of the show happen mid-season can't be good for your oroginal impressions.
That's only true if you consider Melancholy the climax rather than Disappearance.
Season 2 and the movie destroyed every argument for broadcast order, no one should ever watch it that way except as a novelty.

>Okay that's simply not entirely true, it was intended to be like that when only Season 1 was out.
Yes it is, originaly means intially, at first, at the time of origin, at the start. Later happenings aside s1 was originaly meant to be seen in such as way. I was talking more in a general sense. And considering Haruhi's, popularity by the time s2 aired everyone has already seen s1. Plus they probably wanted more exposure for less work, which is why they aired both seasons instead of just the new ones.

Originally they were books which use neither chronological or broadcast order.

okay i'm gonna go with what this user said Watch the episode starting with cute girl and a song first then watch it in chronological.
gonna watch that ep now and tomorrow go by chronological. see ya

It's still the climax of s1, the pace of the show and cliffhangers depend on you not knowing certain information. Having more information than it was intended could hinder your enjoyment of the show. You're basicaly spoiled for certain scenes because you have outside knowledge.

Well if the problem is outside knowledge then it's a moot point since by now, more than a decade after S1 finished airing, everyone already has that knowledge. Haurhi is hardly obscure, and people who are even mildly interested in anime have absorbed everything via cultural osmosis by now

Are the adaptations made for general audiences or exclusively for the one that already read the novels? Is there knowledge in the novels that is crucial for me to have before watching the show?

The distinction between S1 and S2 is irrelevant. Stop trying to separate them.

Season two sucks anyway

You fucked up and will regret it.

You can enjoy them just fine without reading the novels, most do. I was just using that to counter that user's point about the "original, intended" order.

I watched it chronological my first time through and enjoyed it immensely.

By that logic you could argue that it's okay to watch them in reverse order since the audience already has the knowledge of the events it would make no significant difference. If scenes, reveals, cliffhangers are paced around certain knowledge why would you watch it in any other way?

Newfag.

if i don't end up enjoying this to it's full potential, then it's fine. it's just one anime
i'm not gonna make the effort to try and find the the "right order". i have it in chronological and that's how i'll watch it. if i had it in broadcast, i would've watched it that way too

My status as a newfag doesn't change how much I enjoyed the show, and thus the invalidity of you argument that you MUST watch broadcast first.