Revolutionary Girl Utena is what Neon Genesis Evangelion failed to be

Revolutionary Girl Utena is what Neon Genesis Evangelion failed to be

A masterpiece.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NqdnLl7Iic0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stop making this thread.

What?

The one thing I never got about this series is, what the hell kind of name is "Utena"?

Overrated, Konaka piss on Ikuhara and Anno night and day.

Can you stop shitposting with Utena already?

>all threads about a popular anime are by the same person and are shitposting

Its tumblrina horseshit, not even successful horseshit at that

The nanami episodes make that statement false. They will always hold Utena back as just a 10/10 instead of an 11/10 masterwork.

Lurk for 2 years before posting.

Nanami episodes were funny most of the time though

stick out like a sore thumb. comedy in them feels like something from 3pm disney channel, missing the narrative tropes of the rest of the series. almost seems like they were written by a different person as filler.

So when does the gay get kicked up to 10? Im on episode 10 and its only at a 6/10 gay

>tfw can't lay down naked on a bike and look cute at the same time

watch the movie

cars aren't gay

Just wait for Akio to show up in his.
youtube.com/watch?v=NqdnLl7Iic0

i can't appreciate art because it doesn't align with my narrow minded poltiical views I learned on the internet! WAAAH! MOMMY!

Just finished episode 39
Holy shit this was a wild ride, why isn't more yuri as good?

watch more ikuhara

How come I haven't seen this Nadia spinoff?

>not loving Nanami episodes
>not being able to see that they all connect to the main plot inadvertently
Kill yourself you absolute turbopleb.

>yuri
Utena isn't even yuri though???? You can really tell how fucking ignorant someone is if they watched Utena and all they got out of it was "lol it's yuri"

NGE didn't fail at much in my books while Utena is a bit more rough around the edges. Really loved it when I watched it, doubt I'd feel as strongly if I were to revisit. Respectable show either way

Normally when I finish a really good anime I think of it as the best I've ever seen, then a few weeks later get a more honest opinion of it.

But Utena really only rose in my eyes with consideration and time. It really isn't unreasonable to call it a masterpiece. The nanami episodes are weak, sure, but to say are pointless isn't really fair. IE, the one where they explore the kid's journal about all the previous nanami episodes is in theme with the black rose arcs general concept of "remembering love wrong" and so on. Plus, they helped to keep up the facade of a typical shojo anime so that the meat of the show could continue to subvert and examine it. Sort of playing devil's advocate here, I think I would have preferred the show take itself more seriously more consistently, but I also don't think it was a major problem.

I'm actually really searching for another anime like it or Princess Tutu right now, considering The Rose of Versailles but not sure if I'll be able to get past it's ultra antiquated artstyle.

>not sure if I'll be able to get past it's ultra antiquated artstyle.
It's literally the greatest anime ever created, but if you're so much of a pleb who can't handle a """different""" artstyle, you don't deserve to appreciate it.

>The Rose of Versailles but not sure if I'll be able to get past it's ultra antiquated artstyle.
Ikuhara is honestly baby-tier compared to everything Dezaki has directed, so If you genuinely believe Utena is your masterpiece you haven't watched enough anime.

Utena borrows a lot from Rose but it's really not what you're looking for, I don't think. I would recommend Princess Arete, maybe

Baby tier how?

>Princess Arete
It's good, but that's nothing like Utena or Princess Tutu. Besides I guess female empowerment? But RoV has that too, except with an actual struggle involved because it's at the core of Oscar's character to try to balance/cope with her masculinity and femininity.
Baby-tier as in Ikuhara is a product of Dezaki's legacy. I'm genuinely convinced he made Utena as a response to Oniisama e.

Oh for sure there's a ton of influence there but that's hardly a way to knock his body of work. There's actually staff crossover between Utena and classic Dezaki, but no relation to Oniisama, interestingly enough. More built out of Sailor Moon than anything though.

Im learning Japanese right now, and I might be wrong, but it sounds a lot like the word "unten" that means drive.

>knock his body of work
What? I'm not doing that, I'm simply stating he's not nearly as good a director when compared to Dezaki.

Arete because it's a female oriented story which borrows heavily from fairy-tale, applied through a modern lens and with striking direction. I feel that's more in line with what he was looking for, but I could always be wrong. Either way, really decent movie, worth a look one way or another

Poor choice of words then, I mean taking influence from doesn't really equate to being "not nearly as good as". Ikuhara's style is distinct and borrows from a dozen other places just as much it does from Dezaki, and in my eyes at least improves on or works around most of Dezaki's weaknesses

>Dezaki's weaknesses
Those don't exist though.

Wow shucks what a goof I made!

I truly can't think of any flaws that he had as a director in his prime.

That's fine then

both are gold plated turds.

Seek help

Utena's seiyuu

good night sweet princess

At least the English one is still alive

lol
evangelion had a structured plot 100% of the way through, never resorted to filler aside from the fucking penguin (who got about 60 total seconds of screentime). utena was beset by formulaic episodes and LITERALLY every single fight scene was reused animation and resulted in the same outcome. good lord it's the same fucking monster of the week bullshit every episode. "My brother doesn't love me!" "I see. Your only option is to revolutionize the world." the majority of the episodes are structured the exact same way and it pisses me off.

the visuals and feeling are fine, but actually watching the show is painful. it's a slog.

schizophrenic.

wait, OP is clearly falseflagging
why the fuck did i waste my time giving my actual opinion

>GAY GIRL ON GIRL SJW PROPAGANDA HIDEKI ANNO IS MY GOD I DON'T WATCH SHOUJO THAT SHITS FOR GIRLS
is that what (You) wanted?

>tfw you manipulated and mindfucked everyone around you and got off scott free because you played the part of the victim perfectly

Utena was horrible, NGE was good

>scott free
She's canonically one of the most "suffering" anime characters

Dual is what Eva failed to be

>Shinji deserved to suffer more than asuka
What now, who did this shit? I guess both didnt deserve much, but still she deserved more.

Akio's fiance that Anthy gave permanent brain damage to suffered more than she did.

DIAVOLO is actually a weird case.

I agree that Eva failed to be an accidental parody that could air on Sunday mornings.

he didn't do anything to deserve dying for eternity

Get some taste

Is this a new meme or a something?
FUCK OUT NORMIES

Good chart

was there any purpose to Mikage's stopwatch or was it just postmodernism

Miki*
I need sleep.

>itt pretentious animu is art fags come out of the woodwork jacking off directors and calling things flawless nasterpieces unirocially
Was I redirected to MAL or something?

It's a 10/10, but Eva as well. Thing is Utena just isn't as good. The repetetive structure pulls it a bit down, as do the comedy eps. It just doesn't have the natural flow that Eva does. It also doesn't go as deep in exploring its characters. Doesn't explore as much the relationship between them and their parents and how certain cycles repeat throughout generation. On top of that neither the ending of the series nor the film can hold a candle to EoE in terms of just pure cinematography and emotional impact.

There are lots of other threads for you to find dank memes in so why are you here?

P-please dont invade my safe space. Cnt you see how smart I am, I swear I'm not from MAL.

You can keep reading posts that trigger you if you want, I just was trying to figure out why.

IIRC utena is the japanese term for the calyx of the flower anatomy; the bottom 'green leafy' part of a flower that protects the petals above it.
likewise, 'anthy' is a mispelling/ of the english 'anther', which is the part of the flower that produces pollen. pretty fitting, if you think about it

I wholeheartedly love this show.

Many people recommend penguindrum afterwards, but i didn't get it? what's amazing about it? Doesn't seem to match utena in the slightest

He used triple-takes, which some might view as being outdated and melodramatic. It's a small nitpick, but there's little else to criticise.

The question is where he went wrong in the 2000's. What he directed then wasn't bad but, it just felt so "meh" in comparison to his pre-2000's stuff.

This
Fuck off with your lgbt shit