How do we stop anime from becoming mainstream? capitalization of it in the west is progressing...

how do we stop anime from becoming mainstream? capitalization of it in the west is progressing, especially West coast US and Canada.
>anime distributors emerging in the west, though shitty (but there are few if any better alternatives)
>exposure of anime increasing, normalizing it and growing it (think the twitch sponsored anime viewing earlier this summer, getting the younger generations hooked on their services)
>toonami returned (even though its just a pathetic ditch effort to save cable)
>assaults on trackers (both public and private) is more frequent
>spread of anime films in local theaters
>less taboo surrounding its existence
at the rate it's going the west will capitalize anime and in a worse case scenario, start producing it themselves eventually. there is no doubt in my mind it will be ruined by dubs, maybe even wiping out the need for subs altogether, and even worse, having more adaptations like the netflix death note. the niche audience will grow and become ruined, as is with anything that becomes bloated and popular. this will likely mean the death of much loved genres such as CGDCT, mahou shoujo, and basically any SoL including lolis. people should be more aware of this and take issue to it, as the west will most definitely kill it.
for now, what can be done to avoid this fate?

Other urls found in this thread:

hayabusa9.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/mnewsplus/1502250853/
animenewsnetwork.cc/interest/2017-08-16/film-critic-responds-to-netflix-rise-in-japan/.119931
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's too late.

Make more normalfag repellent content so anime becomes unmarketable. More harems, more CGDCT, more sexualized lolis, etc etc.

We literally do nothing.
Distributors like Funi and Netflix are doing their very best to run it into the ground by licensing and broadcasting inaccessible shit.
Plus, even if it becomes mainstream in the west that's not likely to affect what gets made in nipland.

>anime industry goes Western mainstream
>turns into soulless, creatively bankrupt garbage for normalfags
>anime industry continues as is
>remains soulless, creatively bankrupt garbage for otaku
just pull the plug and be done with it

You can't really stop it, all you can really do is encourage your normal fag friends to have taste and introduce them to good anime, hopefully raising their standards which may trickle upwards.

Unfortunately, we on the individual level cannot do much to prevent globalization or making something mainstream.

Nips will probably eventually outlaw a lot of it themselves anyway. It is only a matter of time before they start to crack down more and more on things like loli and schoolgirls. They are totally aware the rest of the world see it as disgusting and are embarrassed by it already. You can see the government trying to hide this stuff in the run up to the olympics.

>Travel back in time
>Stop the internet from happening
>Drop 1 more nuke in Japan

t. jojofag thats on the spectrum.

t. watched less than 100 anime and desperate to fit in on Sup Forums

>stagnant CGDCT and degenerate fapbait or battle shonen and babbies first ultraviolent seinen

Anime truly was a mistake

muh secret hobby

Western produced anime is a good thing, it means the moralist cancer will be contained there. Japanese produced anime can continue pandering to Japanese people and be free from western cultural imperialists.

you need to grow up and reorient your values to something that isnt 'being edgy and different'

Japan will always produce anime for Japan, no matter how involved Netflix gets. It also exists in Japan, and has an entire Japanese division. And even if they were to make "western" anime, the original industry overseas would continue as if nothing happened.

Depends on how they'll deal with it, especially since some of those examples are still in a gray area. Saving face is a huge part of Asian culture, and Japan really wants to show off on the world stage come the 2020 Olympics. How they'll go about this is another matter. Tourists generally scrape the surface of Japanese degeneracy anyway, so it largely goes ignored. But their paranoia about it could see things adapted to suit foreigners, at least during the actual year of the Olympics.

It'll probably be business as usual after that.

Anime as a whole will never be mainstream. I honestly don't care about some 14 year old watching fmab on netflix. Some anime will be popular but otaku culture will never be popular. It seems like a fad here in America honestly because of soundcloud rappers and vaporwave and I see it ending in the next 2-3 years.

>anime from becoming mainstream
Hundreds of millions of people watch anime, wtf are you going on about

>worse case scenario, start producing it themselves
I assume you haven't heard of FLCL 2?

>this will likely mean the death of much loved genres such as CGDCT, mahou shoujo, and basically any SoL including lolis
Good fucking riddance

Slice of Life and harem romcoms will never hit mainstream in the west.

Its too late for Shonen. Its been too late since Naruto.

Its just the in between stuff now. High budget shows with action and "mature themes." If the over the top gore from the 80 and 90s comes back you could save it. Alternatively more weird Japanese sensibilities with big tits and fan service could pull it back as well.

The western anime industry was much bigger in the early 2000s than it is now. The streaming services just pay too little in comparison to the DVD/BD sellers.

>Hundreds of millions of people watch anime
You are heavily overstating the populatrity of anime. Netflix has just a little bit over 100 million subscribers, anime isn't even in the same ballpark as the Netflix shows or Hollywood.
That many people have watched DBZ or Pokemon then they were young, doesn't mean that they actively watch anime.

>Stop trying to make money, anime
Sup Forums in a nutshell.

Is there any official source for
>muh olympics
or is it just a forced meme? Akiba was just as degenerate when they hosted the World Cup and nothing happened.

>stop
it's been too late for that since like 2012

>Japan is going to crack down on one of their most profitable industries because of the Olympics
They might temporarily be harsher on anything that involves underage girls but that's it

Stop judging us Satan

there is no real way to stop it, but we can slow it

>support the industry, animators, and authors directly, if financially viable to you
do not support the distributors that are going to ruin it for us like amazon and crunchyroll. use alternatives that support shipping to your region, that AREN'T monopolies (via merchandise, manga, LNs, even if you don't want it, you can resell. But again, do not resell via those distributors). this goes for everyone, not just burgers
>spread word of piracy alternatives to your friends (inb4 none) who are into anime, both online and IRL

this one is a hard pill to swallow but it will pay off
>persecute your "fellow" weebs who are outspoken about it. talk badly about anime, while being a closet weeb. do not grow the industry so it dies in the west, and we stay as is
90% have gotten exposure to anime from more friendly outlets like reddit. if collectively, the real audience for anime stops supporting the shitty services like crunchyroll provides, it won't grow as much, and in turn, crackdowns on trackers slow because there is less incentive, they slow their western distribution, and avoid this future

"""toxicity""" works in our favor here. i would prefer a future the same as now, where we can still be niche, we don't have to worry about anime changing meet western acceptable standards (less fanservice, etc to appease PC western world). it will become diluted with even more garbage than we already have if we let it happen. i really do not want this to be the future.
>imagine a world where you can only get your doujins from faggu, because sad panda doesn't exist anymore
>imagine a world where subs don't exist, because all accessible VAs are w
>imagine a world where you have to pay for anime subscription services
>imagine a world where eastern audiences aren't the target audience anymore
we should try desu

Well, I mean the majority of Sup Forums IS pretty fucking retarded.

This.

Muh olympics is just a meme.
There might be a short crackdown, moving especially triggering material into a more hidden corner of the store, but I don't think there will be a large change.
Idolfags need to be more worried than normal Otaku, I think AKB is doing the start event.

and when i say reddit is "friendly" i mean it is an inclusive shithole where they can perform fellatio on themselves for being such a nice community. normies are in good company there which is why it is trash. needed to correct that

Allowing anime to become mainstream is the only thing that can save anime otherwise eventually people will just block it in their countries because of things like loli, if you can make it popular enough in the west that it isn't seen as an abomination then it might actually survive.

Probably, but people want to be sure ever since new age PCness starting fucking with video games

Do you have any examples of them being disgusted by it or trying to hide it?

Still better than seeing your national TV channels suddenly boycotting japanese programs to replace them with cheap Made in France moronic love comedies because MUH FRENCH PROGRAM QUOTA. And noticing that the tons of american programs were never ever touched. Of course.

Don't make bait

Ah well. Just learn to wait for fansubs/learn Japanese.

Anime should never be mainstream because pandering to western sensibilities reduces anime to battle shonen and bad Hellsing clones. Maybe really bad Prison School clones if Western PCness is feeling merciful

Well, it does pose a risk of being a huge national embarrassment when the time comes. Then again, nothing really happened after Brazil's time in the global spotlight.

Some of the responses in this thread
hayabusa9.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/mnewsplus/1502250853/
to this
animenewsnetwork.cc/interest/2017-08-16/film-critic-responds-to-netflix-rise-in-japan/.119931
about Netflix getting involved in anime production so heavily now are quite interesting really.

>いいことじゃん
It's a good thing
>終わりじゃなく始まりなんじゃね
It's not the end but the beginning.
>もしそうなっても予算掛けた糞アニメが増えるだけだろ
Even if it happens you will just get more shit anime funded.
>単に深夜アニメをネトフリから買うように変わるだけだろ
It's just a change to buying late night anime from Netflix.
>ネトフリ日本で流行ってないじゃん(笑)
Netflix is not popular in Japan (lol)
>エレクトロニクス業界と同じように ガラパゴス商品しか作らない発給元は淘汰されそうだな
Just like with electronics companies only making Galapagos (those targeted only at Japanese) products will be eliminated.
>クリエイター側にはいい話
Good story on the creators side.
>テレビ局と広告代理店が甘い汁を吸いすぎた.
The TV and ad agencies got too greedy.
>日本の深夜アニメなんか 全部滅んでもらって結構だからな
Late night Japanese anime, its fine if it is completely destroyed.
>アニメは萌えに殺されたよな
Moe killed anime.
>変わるわけ無い
Nothing will change.
>もうパチンコ屋に頭下げなくてもいいのけ?
They won't need the pachinko money anymore?
>日本人は欧米主導じゃないと 何も改革しないからな。 これは良い事。
Japanese people don't reform anything if they are not led by westerners. This is a good thing.
>これ何年も前から言われてる事だよね
People have been saying this for years.
>日本は外圧が無いと変われない
Japan can't change without foreign pressure.

Let it be mainstream you fuck. Who fucking cares. Why do you put it on gold pedestal like it's some gold standard in art form and literature? Anime is a form of commercial intended to squeeze viewers of their money through blu-ray, toys and phone gachas.

You people make me fucking sick. Literally on the level of paranoid SJWs.

Most of the anime discussed on /a is midnight anime which is not that popular in Japan except among the otaku/neet/hikki crowd. Anime in Japan is primarily a sub-culture.

>Late night Japanese anime, its fine if it is completely destroyed.
Man I love those dang japs

>posts ann
>posts a bunch of carefully selected responses, to fit an argument
I still remember when Star Ocean 5 got censored because of Western sensibilities, the Studio got lynched and everyone screamed fuck Western influence.

>Japanese people don't reform anything if they are not led by westerners. This is a good thing.
>Japan can't change without foreign pressure.
Well, Japan has shot down the UN before.

What? I'm not carefully selecting anything to make an argument. Feel free to post any comments you think present another side from that thread if you want. Bear in mind I only went through first 200 or so.

Why don't you want it to go mainstream? Sup Forums has a bad enough reputation as is, so this site can still be ur segret club.

And earlier this year, the chief Nier:Automata designer asked for more art of 2B's ass in response to the usual pissing and moaning.

Implying you can do anything
You faggots are irrelevant, keep consuming and shut up

I'm just gonna leave this here...

>not wanting anime to be mainstream
>muh "niche hobby"
Fuck off

>t.

Please fuck off with this shit.

>half
You have to go back.

Anime went mainstream ten years ago. Just look at how much of a piece of normalfag shit this place has become.

>meet a total normie dude lmao
>get drunk with him
>both of us reveal our power levels
>end up talking about futa loli shit and junji ito

Everybody watches anime, no one admits it

Man, it was so fun watching Nier, Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild make puree of the supposedly progressive, inclusive Horizon and Mass Effect Andromeda.

Can't see the day this new wave of puritanism and eggshell-walking in the West dies already.

Find a new hobby.
Now that the normies and even Chad are anime and video game experts. It's time to get fucking jacked and play sports.

>futa
>junji ito
Entry-level shit, and you know it.

I mean what argument do you even think my post was trying to make? There are people saying Netflix is a good thing, people saying it is a bad thing, people saying it won't change anything, people saying Japanese companies need to be able to compete internationally to survive, people who hate anime altogether? I'm not really sure what the argument is supposed to be you are seeing being made.

>meet a total normie dude

Omg you're like, such a NERD amirite

I'm a normalfag that gets off to gore and enjoy edgy shit. So yeah, even I watch anime so that proves my point.

>slowpoke.gif
Too bad buddy, this is the greatest anime year for me but I also feel like is just the perfect time to let anime behind, the signs are up.

>tfw anime was saved but not from them

Western influence on anime was far bigger back in the day. It was even more obvious because there were so little anime being made compared to now.

The only thing I'm worried about is if SJWs or Jews ever get creative influence in anime companies or they start producing their own.
For all the faults of anime at least none of it is blatantly political like every SJW game ever and every recent Hollywood movie.

Ironic weebs are real thing. It's funny these days to have a dank smug anime avatar and a shirt from Hot Topic.

Horizon actually did well though despite being progressive crap.

Also Undertale exists too.

What was wrong with Undertale? I didn't realise it pandered to SJWs

How can anime possibly considered mainstream in the west? It's in fucking Japanese. The only foreign products that can possibly be mainstream in America are food items.

>how do we stop anime from becoming mainstream?
implying

>only murica is the west

Because more than 3 nerds on Sup Forums in the west are starting to keep up with seasonal anime as it becomes more accessible it is suddenly mainstream essentially.

less traps, less yuri, more gore, more rape, more loli, more loli rape

Coldplay is mainstream.
John Grisham is mainstream.
Marvel movies are mainstream.
Anime is not mainstream.

But some nerds at my university like anime now and feminists on twitter are starting to complain!

Oh shit you're right, pack it up fellas, show's over for us westerners.

well, here in spicland we don't care that much about PC shit and we accept anime as it comes, and if USA can't force Japan Europe neither

>death of mahou shoujo
you know nothing. opinion discarded.

>muh seekret club

It has one lesbian couple who really hardly matter to the grand scheme of the story and don't even have a spotlight on them (also they're a fucking dinosaur and a fish.)

That and it has a strong, incredibly shit fanbase on tumblr that feels the need to try and SJW-contextualise everything and frequently crosses over to that crowd.

Basically, it's just because the SJW crowd likes it, even though it does pretty much nothing to appeal to that crowd.

Am I missing something?

Anime has always been mainstream

I'm from Mexico and there are tons of weeabs, we got anime in public TV, we get tons of anime movies at teachers, fuckin CR and Netflix are even dubbing anime shows with Mexican voice acting

I ask again

Am I missing something?

>Japanese people don't reform anything if they are not led by westerners. This is a good thing.
From the image many posters on Sup Forums portray you'd think that everyone in Japan thought their way of doing things was perfect. I guess not so much.

>They won't need the pachinko money anymore?
kek

Fuck off spic.

Anime will never be mainstream. It will always be seen as that thing weird guys get into. You only want to believe it's becoming mainstream because you're seeking acceptance from people who aren't into internet culture, but it never will.

Isekai was a mistake.

Counterpoint. Aus has anime on public TV (mostly mainstream shit) but most people have barely even heard of anime, let alone actively watch it.

That said, OP's wrong about death of mahou shoujo. The main kids channel here ran Madoka and I was sure they'd pussy out once shit started getting too edgy for small childs, but they stuck with it to the end and then played it again, so idunno.

Why do you care so much about your secret club? More mainstream means more people I can share the hobby with; even if they watch more entry-level shows, it'll be easier to show them the stuff I like than it is now. And more mainstream means a larger industry and thus more shows. While a lot of these will likely be crap for one reason or another, a small percent will be decent, which may not have been funded if anime was still so niche. Being mainstream, there will also be more demand for access to the shows, hopefully leading to more shows being readily available on legal sites.

So yeah, let anime become mainstream.

Anime will be fine. It's basically being taken over by China right now and they have a lot of the same interests as the Japanese, being so similar genetically and culturally.

>being so similar genetically and culturally.
Haha nice one.

>And more mainstream means a larger industry and thus more shows
No, the industry opperates at near maximum capacity, this would lead to more entry shows and less niche/experimental shows.
You act like being mainstream means more funding for good shows, which normally isn't the case, see video games and to a lesser extend movies. 2 mediums which strongly sufered because of the mainstream.

>Why do you care so much about your secret club?
Because, anime and otaku culture are threatened by the mainstream. See ironic weebs.
If a culture is defined by it's hardcore fans, then it will fundamentally change if they are outnumbered 10 to 1 with casuals.

>more mainstream means more people I can share the hobby with
If you want social attention for your hobby, then anime is the wrong hobby for you.

>The main kids channel here ran Madoka

Lel. Absolutely based.

>being so similar genetically and culturally.
Are you retarded?

>Because, anime and otaku culture are threatened by the mainstream. See ironic weebs. If a culture is defined by it's hardcore fans, then it will fundamentally change if they are outnumbered 10 to 1 with casuals.
You can enjoy things without caring what others think and do. Someone else watching, discussing, and buying merchandise of a series doesn't directly affect you at all.

>I hope the entertainment medium I enjoy is a financial failure

Main thing that pisses me off is le proud otaku's

Fear mongering about Neo PCness

what will be left to enjoy? everything will be watered down bullshit that everyone can digest and go about their day. see game of thrones as an example.

They should charge $700 for a season to stop it from being mainstream :^)

At first glance you'd confuse me for Chad but I've been binging anime since before my teen years

It has been for decades. Anyone who still thinks it's an underground thing when every high school had an anime club and a single anime convention can draw 100k people to a single event is delusional.

As long as it pisses off you manchildren I don't give a shit.

Pic related but with companies investing money to make it popular.

Artistic production, and almost everything, don't need a lot of people and money to work, just a few competent producers and interested buyers.
Everything worked fine during the 90s when anime was almost irrelevant in western countries. The few gaijins who wanted to watch it just made their way to it.