Please explain

Why do Aussies have accents more similar to the English and Americans don't. Both people are genetically similar. Came from the Anglosphere and colonized new territory with primitive natives. Why are accents so different?

Other urls found in this thread:

mentalfloss.com/article/29761/when-did-americans-lose-their-british-accents
youtube.com/watch?v=k7tZFqg2PqU
youtube.com/watch?v=K1zfG9No12Y
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_republic_referendum,_1999
youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E
youtu.be/NxVOIj7mvWI
youtu.be/upKqzxuJ5L4
youtu.be/5TdeVb8sNNA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Whitlam#Dismissal
youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_tider
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent
youtube.com/watch?v=9A6lU_cogvw&t=11s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect_continuum
youtube.com/watch?v=9A6lU_cogvw
youtube.com/watch?v=v5gl9ep1zP8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDsAn_u70tw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We had Webster, that's why our words are different. As for accent, I have no clue.

I think it's because Europeans have been living in North America since the early 1600s and Europeans have been living in Australia since the late 1700s, giving Americans more time to develop their own distinct accent.

I hate Webster.

I prefer British spellings.

Funny thing though Quebecois sound like rednecks too compared to regular French.

Because unlike you they're not le creatura, Amerimutt.
Also, you have Irish, Germanic, Celtic, Goblin and most important dindu ingredient as seed.

Because there are a bunch of foreign speakers in early America like Dutch and German. Ever hear a Dutch person speaking English? They sound more like Americans than Brits.

The old English accent used to sound like today's New York one. After 1776, they changed it up because they were so bootyblasted about getting wrecked. So, New Yorkers are how British people back in the day used to sound.

There weren't Dutch and German colonizers of Australia? It was only anglos?

I remember reading somewhere that a certain dialect here in the states is actually how everyone in the colonies used to speak and the only reason the English have an accent is because the nobility started talking differently and it spread to the commoners. So us Yanks actually speak English like how it used to be spoken.

Australia and the US aren't at all similar. Even Australia is pushing it. NZ is a good example of this.

I think your timeline might be off. I'm pretty sure Australian colonization started earlier than late 1700s

Sort of this.
mentalfloss.com/article/29761/when-did-americans-lose-their-british-accents

The english started to change their pronunciation. rhotic vs non-rhotic words. Additionally the amount of language blending from other European countries also changed the language.

Yeah, you read it on Sup Forums you fucking moron, only there's one problem with that - regional dialects being noted from as early as the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles written during the reign of Alfred the Great.

Wut?

The US isn't Anglo. Australia has large influence of German and Irish immigrants which has influenced North England regional dialects for example. NZ is a good example of an unadulterated British accent abroad since most of the population self report with English, Welsh and Scottish heritage.

Prior to the invention of flight, NZ took 6 months to travel to so no one really went without a specific reason.

lmao no only anglos. The dutch discovered the place and left and Hans never touched it

youtube.com/watch?v=k7tZFqg2PqU

There are a fuckton of Germans in Australia. I'm not too sure about the Dutch.

I know exactly what theory you're talking about. I've heard it repeated more than other Sup Forums memes because you all hurt my fucking brain.

I'm here to tell you, in my thickest Geordie accent possible, that this accent (in particular) has been noted from the days of the Kingdom of Northumbria which is nearly 700 years old so your theory is rubbish.

Goodbye friend.

youtube.com/watch?v=K1zfG9No12Y

>which is nearly 700 years old
which has been gone for nearly 700 years*

Why are you so offended?

I just have a low tolerance for Sup Forums memes. Much less when they involve telling me that Hernandez and Diego speak in a purer English accent than me because they jumped the border into Texas at age 3.

Yes, that's right, we are pure Anglo, genetically identical to Australians...

Never said Diego spoke English like the colonists used to. I said a certain accent here in the states was how they used to speak, I never said all.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I said genetically SIMILAR you fucking faggot. awesome post bro. Way to contribute.

Yes, yes, my white friend. Similar.

Because during the American Revolution we said " Fuck yo accents nigga !!! " and threw them in Boston harbor to be with the tea .

Poo in the loo, faggot. Standard response to all India fags. We could use less of you shit smelling monkeys in the world.

And I'm telling you that theory is complete rubbish. Without going into the fact that there are over 50 noted accents on the British Isles, most pre-date America as a country (like the Geordie accent which is lowland Scottish/Irish). orth American, Irish, Scottish as well as Gaelic are all rhotic, whereas English, Welsh, Australian, New Zealand, as well as the English of former British colonies are all non-rhotic.

You can look up the Great Vowel Shift, or comments of English accents in the past... for example, in Staffordshire, the typical "point of ale" (pint of ale) was noted by Prussians in the 18th century.

Also accents change over the course of 20 miles here.

Poo in loo btfo

Coriolis effect

Citation needed

Too much sunshine.
Also alcoholism.

Finally an Aussie shows up and gives me the pure scientific answer I was hoping for.

The US kicked the English culture out by force so it was clear you wanted to develop your own culture whereas AUS has always stayed linked with the UK via the commonwealth and also voted to not become a republic staying under the cultural wing of England

No, the Webster spellings are more logical. I just wish he had changed "through" to "thru".

>also voted to not become a republic staying under the cultural wing of England
Link me to references? What year did this vote happen? Was a fully democratic referendum?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_republic_referendum,_1999

Also England has been a Republic since 1689 and Australia has been under the wing of a Republic, and its own Republic since 1901. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Because American realized how gay sounding the English accent is.

>Sorry to burst your bubble.
Whose bubble about what?

Just regarding the Australian Republic referendum. It didn't matter anyway. We're all god forsaken republics.

You might want to get that retardism checked out by your doctor

1. Most of Australia's population is on the eastern coast while America's is spread out more
2. There have been people living in isolated areas of the US like the Appalachians mountains for centuries leading to very different regional accents
3. More European nationalities settled in America than Australia so each brought their own peculiar take on English
4. Since education systems hadn't been standardized before the Revolution in either country they each decided that "right" way to speak afterwards

Are you going to admit you didn't know about Cromwell, the execution of Charles I, the Glorious Revolution of 1688, the Bill of Rights 1689 and the 1707 refusal of Royal Assent by "Queen" Anne or are you just going to play dumb?

Listen tech support curry nigger, your culture has been around thousands of years and you literally shit in the streets.

pasta
The first children born in Australia didn’t have an established peer-group accent. So, in the process of creating one, their speech would have taken on the characteristics of the adults around them. Since the major differences in these adults’ speech would have been minimised and the sounds that the children picked up were those that were most common (mostly from south-east England), these children would have sounded more similar to each other than to their parents. But the Australian accent was not yet fully formed. Research into colonial accent development suggests that in this generation each child would probably have used their own unique set of speech sounds.

In due course, these first native-born, English-speaking Australians had children of their own; children who grew up and, most importantly, attended school together. It would have been among this group that the differing accents of the previous generation coalesced and the Australian accent solidified. And it’s that accent which became the foundation of today’s Aussie speech.

The New York accent is non-rhotic (drops the "r" sound), which is a feature of British English that became popular after New York was settled, in the 19th century. English was originally rhotic, but dropping "r" became a feature of elocution for the rich, which led to it being imitated by aspirant plebs. WASPs in New England adopted it out of sheer Anglophilia, as a way of distinguishing themselves. Red shows where rhoticity is still present. The New York accent is more like "new English" rather than old English.

“The children born in [Australia], and now grown up, speak a better language, purer, more harmonious than is generally the case in most parts of England.” (James Dixon, 1822)

“…you cannot fail shortly to note how very well the common children speak, even where the parents set them no good pronunciative example.” (Caroline Leakey, 1859)

Boston accents are much closer to pre-Cockney British accents than modern British accents are. Shakespeare sounded like some kid from Southie.

We've been over this. None of that is true except maybe
>Boston accents are much closer to pre-Cockney British accents
But I take particular issue with this bit,
>modern British accents

There are over 50.

There a few groups of people in America who still speak in regional British Accents. However they’re all old and might die off soon. Feels bad I prefer this over the regular American accents.

youtu.be/AIZgw09CG9E
youtu.be/NxVOIj7mvWI
youtu.be/upKqzxuJ5L4
youtu.be/5TdeVb8sNNA

Australians migrated much later in history than the Americans, so there is more of a difference in accents.

germans in OZ a recent immigrants, the oz accent was established a few hundred years before them.

you can even see a dramatic difference between the Anglo-Celts of Australia and the Anglo-Celts of North America.

Australian Anglo-Celts possess fine, proportional, and agreeable facial aesthetics while their North American counterparts look like abominations. You would think they are an entirely separate ethnicity.

I suppose up until recently, Australians had less of an American diet, and none of the chemicals which cause monstrous epigenetic changes

this. burgerland is more germanic than anglo-celtic

>Well may we say "God save the Queen", because nothing will save the Governor-General!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Whitlam#Dismissal

Eat dick you ignorant faggot. Just because you've browsed some 'freeman' sites doen't make you informed about how the world actually works. Get some critical thinking skills.

Linguist here. The answer is timing. American English, most especially the Appalachian dialect, are the closest surviving dialects to Early Modern (Shakespearean English). What you think of as British-sounding English didn't develop until the 18th Century. This is why the New England dialect is the closest to British English, it was where the most British emigrants went to during the 18th Century, so they picked up the non-rhotic features.

Australia was colonized much later by the time the British had gone full mouthrot.

I know about the 1975 dismissal of your PM lel. You obviously don't frequent Brit/pol/ too often because we have this discussion once a week.

The Governor General acts independently, the Queen (just like Royal Assent) acts entirely through ministers and didn't approve nor order the act herself, nor is she capable of it.

You're a Republic and as long as Australia has existed you've been under the governance of a Republic. Parliament has made all your major decisions, whether that be an English parliament or an Australian parliament. From your founding, to you banning codeine like a bunch of wimps.

The Queen doesn't do fuck all for you, nor us. And I say this as the biggest monarchist you've ever met. You know fuck all about English history and citing the dismissal of your PM proves absolutely fucking nothing.

>Both people are genetically similar.

That has absolutely nothing to do with accents. Godamn Sup Forums is fucking retarded.
Also some places in eastern USA (like some places in rural PA) have accents that are closer to traditional English accents then most modern brits do.

Accents are not a static condition, they are constantly evolving and changing.

Climate, one theory is due to the amount of flies we had to talk with our mouths half shut, because they are literally fucking everywhere outside civilization, this developed the Australian accent. Over time with technology the flies have deceased in urban environments but the accent remains.

youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY

Listen to this, sometimes they sound identical.

My country is really small, but I almost can't understand the dialects in the south parts of Norway.

The Glorious Revolution of 1688 and the Bill of Rights 1689 a year later made parliament absolute and no longer did they have to be called upon by a monarch to stop another equivalent of Charles I's Fourteen Year Rule, but also to prevent a second Cromwell from overthrowing the monarchy and making himself Dictator.

Royal Assent, which is approval for law, was only refused ONCE after 1689 and that was by Queen Anne in 1707 on the Scottish Militia Bill & parliament ignored her and passed it anyway.

Nowadays, the Queen doesn't even formally sign Royal Assent any more, much less have a say in it.

The governor General is Queen's representative with the power to dismiss prime minister and dissolve parliment. The Queen simply chooses not to exercise this power.

>Ever hear a Dutch person speaking English? They sound more like Americans than Brits.
I think that's because most English we hear is American English (movies, politicians on tv, etc.)

Before bridges were built in the 1930s, the only form of transport between or off the islands was by boat, which allowed for the islands to stay isolated from much of the rest of the mainland. This helped to preserve the maritime culture and the distinctive Outer Banks accent or brogue, which sounds more like an English accent than it does an American accen

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_tider
The Mid-Atlantic accent, or Transatlantic accent,[1][2][3] is a consciously acquired accent of English, intended to blend together the "standard" speech of both American English and British Received Pronunciation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_accent

Wrong.

> The Queen simply chooses not to exercise this power.
No she doesn't. She has no choice lel. The Governor General acts independently. The Queen's powers to dismiss Government are about as lawful in English law as her dismissing the Church of England.

We actually have the correct accent

Our accent is older. I’m not saying it’s better. People in England used to speak like Americans do.

>The Queen's powers to dismiss Government are about as lawful in English law as her dismissing the Church of England.
And I acknowledge Prerogative powers exist. Just that they can't and never have been exercised.

The Geordie accent is 1400 years old. How old is America again? Not even 300 years?

There isn't just 1 British accent.

The problem with that theory is that before the advent of mass telecommunication accents were always incredibly widespread and often changed within mere miles of each other for any number of geographical reasons. I imagine that dialectal drift was already beginning mere decades after the first English colonies were set up across the ocean.

Every place has an accent. Every single place, except one, and that's my hometown.

I meant older than the RP accent that people view as the standard English accent.

Oh. You mean that very specific upper class accent that no one outside of the House of Windsor speaks with? I guess you've fucked me.

All you're referring to is southern pronunciation of words, which again, has existed longer than America has existed as a country.

I won't even get into the Kingdom of Northumberland or Romano-British accents, nor the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle regional dialects because it's useless. There's so many sources out there that list British regional dialects from centuries or millennium's ago but you'll still try to claim specific variations of American accents are "older."

Older than urban London nigger accents. Not much else.

>The Geordie accent is 1400 years old. How old is America again? Not even 300 years?
This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of historical linguistics. No person in Great Britain speaking any language or dialect thereof would understand, without aid or study, the language spoken by their linguistic ancestors of 1400 years prior. There are two ways to measure the age of a language, the time from which it became distinct from its parent language (and there is no absolute date here ever) and the time at which its first parent language developed, which is just another way of meaninglessly saying that all natural languages are as old as all other natural languages.

GG is appointed by the Queen as her representative and has reserve powers. Ergo, not a republic. The public does not vote for the GG is Australia in the same way you don't vote for the Queen.

America kept old grammar and words from the UK for a lot longer. Books at the previous turn of the century used proper British in America while in the UK it was written for simpletons so the retarded toothless English fags could understand.

>>This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of historical linguistics.
No shit. I can't even understand Geordie accents in 2018. But the Geordie accent came from the Kingdom of Northumbria.

youtube.com/watch?v=9A6lU_cogvw&t=11s

RP is a prestige dialect and like almost all prestige dialects, it is semi-artificial to the point that it might as well not be considered a natural language.

>GG is appointed by the Queen
So is the Prime Minister and yet Theresa fucking May holds more direct power than any monarch in history since Henry VIII.

My bad.

old gentlemen southerner accent is the most british

the british and southern accents are reality new compared to US one, australia was colonized more heavily after this accent gained popularity. Literally took 5 seconds to look it up

Based curryposter

There isn't just one fucking British accent. How many times does this need to be said? Some of the origins of modern regional dialects are recognisable in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles.

Those are two different states. One is the Prime minister of GREAT BRITIAN the other is the Queen of ENGLAND. Try doing some digging and research the whole state within a state concept.

TMYK
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect_continuum

Aussie here, it's because our media was controlled by Britain until the late 80's. In the 60s it was rare to hear or see anyone in media speaking in an Australian accent with regards to news and current affairs.

Also, alcohol.

Literal alcohol induced speech slurring is the current anthropological explanation for the similarities.

They aren't logical.

They are for people with an IQ of about 1.

>Queen of ENGLAND
There hasn't been a Queen of England since the unofficial union of Great Britain in 1600 and the official Act of Union 1701.

You aren't making a good argument though, seeing as kings and queens prior to 1689 exercised full control over Scotland and Wales, and some Ireland, it wasn't until after 1688 they lost authority over the entire British Isles, not just Scotland and Wales.

How is that relevant? I know that's true, accents change over the course of 20 miles here.

Fuck off Britfag, you all sound the same

This guy sounds the same as
youtube.com/watch?v=9A6lU_cogvw

to these cunts,
youtube.com/watch?v=v5gl9ep1zP8

?????????????/

please reply

Is General American a prestige dialect?

Of course this question was asked by a fucking burger.
WE DONT have accents similar to the bongs. That's just your American ignorance at play

So, I guess you could say that you live in a Constitutional Monarchy...

Sure, you can sugar coat it however you want but at the end of the time, parliament is still making every decision under the sun and have for the last 400 years.

LARPing in regards to the English monarchy just degrades real monarchism, not even absolute monarchy because the English monarchy was never absolute in its history, just an actual monarch that holds authority.

youtube.com/watch?v=wDsAn_u70tw

Even less than that sometimes. Not so much now, but in some cities just a handful of grouped streets can have their own distinct accent.

>disagree with someone
>not providing any input of your own
here's your (you)

It's just fascinating that you consider a form of governance that includes The House of Lords as being republican in nature. To each their own I guess. Let me know when you guys muster up some French courage to take your 'republican' leadership to the guillotine.

Because you're more closely related to kraut scum.

You seemed to be suggesting that regional dialects shouldn't be regarded as a single language, but various related languages with direct descent traced by the regional dialecticization. The problem with that is the evolution of languages and dialects is too complex to so simply sum up. Regional dialects get subsumed and then re-emerge, for example. I'm not enough of an expert to comment on the Geordie dialect specifically, but it would not be unusual for the dialect of 600 AD Northumbria to have gone extinct, been replaced by a new Northumbrian dialect, which then merged with an adjacent (or migrant) dialect, which then evolved due to contact with a prestige dialect, which then went extinct, only to have a new regional dialect emerge in the same area. Language evolution is as complicated as biological evolution and is routinely considered genetic. Your arguments are kind of like people saying Chedder Man "proves" the English are Africans.
Very much so. It's taught in state schools here. People often do not realize that it's a prestige dialect because American dialects tend to be very conservative (read, don't change much) and the rapid spread during the Manifest Destiny period left the majority of the country speaking a leveled (merged) dialect that General American is heavily based on. Regionalization is still in the early stages here. My local dialect for example has dental /l/s.