Monogatari

Tell me one reason this series isn't 10/10

Crab is main girl.

Cringey fanservice.

too many anglo teens watch this show and proclaim its brilliance, it actually is 10/10, but you have to have been raised in Japan for at least your entire teenage years to understand why

Yes even though thats an ongoing shitty trope with anime in general, but in monogatari the pedo shit with mayoi really drove me [spoler]off for a little[

>Crab is main girl.
Apparently not.
>"Time to forget that woman who's the heroine in name only."
>"Don't be so harsh to someone who just turned over a new leaf."
>"That's my point. Getting reborn turned her into a completely uninteresting character. Am I right?"
>"You sound like Kaiki!!"
Rrrg dodge another question yet again. But from he looks of it, he probably agrees with it or else he would have said that snail was wrong instead of saying that she is just being harsh. We can't blame him because there is only one heroine in his heart.

comet suicide
hang u self

This character was so obnoxious that I barely watched any of the series. But from all the content I've seen floating around, is very true. The flagrance and shoehorned gratuity is more irritating than it is titillating, in most cases I've seen. Also it's just such chuunishit.

>flagrance and shoehorned gratuity

shaft has never produced anything 10/10

your father's shaft never produced anything above 1/10

Because it's 11/10.

Second season is 10/10

3-gatsu finished airing just this winter, user.

Hidamari Sketch 365

don't reply to studionorms they do not actually enjoy anime

don't reply to studionorms they do not actually enjoy anime

>Tell me one reason this series isn't 10/10
because crab is getting in the way of bat and rrrg. If she was not around, that author could devote himself to write lovey-dovey scenes with bat&rrrg together. we need a plot twist to get rid of crab to make this series 11/10. the first volume to continue musubi is a great place to do this.

Yes?

die dorknorm

>series
Series can't be 10/10.

your entire genetic line cannot be 10/10

>Because it's 11/10.
Nah! con&crab needs to hook up together for that to happen. It even sounds like corn&cob. A really perfect match.

You know what, I'm gonna say it. Owari S2 was not that great.

Araragi nigger manlet

I like it a lot but it isn't 10/10.
It's too idiosyncratic for that.

is that a pinterest filename
rare

>tried watching first episode
>felt like I was following a schizo through a Salvador Dali painting

Seriously, what the fuck? This show is just baseless commentary without direction

indecipherable post

Could you attempt to explain to my Western self

if it could be explained, I'll bet they would have done it in the anime

too much loli fanservice

The TL notes just explain random kami sama shit, just throw me a novel

>tied to a pile of desks by girlfriend and held hostage
>scene cut to talking with sister
>scene cut to finding a lol schoolgirl and suplexing them
>scene cut to some other shit in a featureless building with red wall trim

WHAT THE FUCK WAS I WATCHING?

die illiteracynorm

Is it true that the series has good femdom content?

Fucking this. Araragi should have hooked up with cat.

It's always easy to spot the same delusional person here, or on reddit (freakazoidian). With the amount of people that questioned your sanity have you not started to question your own sanity yet? You take every other quote out of context, or face value when it suits you, or just completely misinterpret half the text, or just ignore blatant facts.

>WHAT THE FUCK WAS I WATCHING?
Nisemonogatari episode 1?
>in media res
>Araragi going about his day off of studying
>talks with his sister and agrees to go to Nadeko's house
>sets off for Nadeko's house, meets Mayoi along the way and has a chat
>goes to Nadeko's house
>hrrr drrr I'm fucking retarded

I found a really nice sketch of that same picture.

don't flame because you are butt hurt user, this is Sup Forums

Am I not understanding shit because I skipped over the previous seasons and started and Nise?

>I found a really nice sketch of that same picture.
>nice sketch of that same picture
>same picture

Yeah no, it's similar but noch the same picture.
m(

nice autism you fucking faggot. just go to reddit

I don't understand people who don't start at the beginning. Were they dropped on their heads as babies?

No, you're just literally too stupid to watch any show that isn't SAO level. The only people that think monogatari is actually deep or complex are people that are functionally retarded and need to be spoonfed maximum one concept per hour.

It didn't help. Pay attention and if stuff still doesn't make sense wait for the story to address it, if it doesn't it probably wasn't a big deal. Monogatari also has a lot of meandering without obvious purpose. Araragi will just go to the store and the story will fall in place in front of him all at once, the show doesn't set you up for "WE ARE HERE, WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS NOW! THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING." , that stuff just unfolds, give it time to unfold. More importantly start at the fucking beginning.

That's only in two arcs

Why is Shinobu the most complex and deep character in all of anime bros?

>openly admits he visits Reddit
Sup Forums has come to

Oh yeah, I'm fine with admitting it. I don't adhere to Sup Forums idiocy.

Whens commie?

it's 11/10

So this is what being a proud faggot looks like.

Am i autistic for thinking that mayoi snail was the best arc in the first season and if so explain why

People have always cross-boarded and used other websites. Sup Forums is, and has been for a while, a horrible place for actual debates. So people who are interested in anything but shitposting (or threads such as this one, which basically is shit posting), are forced to expand their horizons.

Why was it the best arc? Or are you just a pedophile?

MC is more fun to follow when he's with almost any girl except for the two main ones. Don't even dislike either of the chicks as characters themselves, just referring to their scenes together.

Shinobu is the main girl. What are you saying

Cringey fetish shit.
Main girl is a waste.

Too many words.

Araragi's relationships with Shinobu and Gahara frame everything else that happens in his story, that's all I mean. I enjoy the series more when he's hanging out with almost anyone else but those two despite that. Partly because I feel the more interesting parts of the story happens when he's around the other characers but maybe I also just prefer how Nisio writes "friendships" over how he writes romance, I don't know.

The show is 90% dialogue and 90% of the dialogue is terrible.

Its too Japanese. It feels like I am watching Japanese theater. With the amount of puns and Japanese culture referenced you only get about 50% of the content and all the fanservice is just going to annoy with western sensibilities.

I love Japan bro

Shinobu is the best though.

Some episodes don't have Monkey in it

Subpar writing

It's pretentious, the writing is fanfiction tier horrible and the fanservice is gratuitous and unappealing.
You could only say it's 10/10 if you're a child or actually mentally retarded.

What if I am a mentally retarded child ?

Target demographic.
I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy it, it has very pretty colors and words words words.

and cute animals

not enough Birb

Birbs are not for sexual

I have to report you to Officer Araragi

So, what are some good examples of deep, complex or really well written anime according to your superior tastes?

>being an EOP
>not knowing Japanese culture

lmao, the absolute state of Sup Forums these days

Did the guy who bought the translated novel post the toothbrush scene?

I'd give it a 6/10.

It is pretty silly at its core and I don't like Araragi as a main character. However, the writing is not bad when it stays away from the more common, silly anime tropes. I am a big admirer of the show's use of postmodern elements.

Also, the girl's visual designs are great, really.

It's literally
>crazy shit is happening as a hook
>*record scratch*
>character looks at the camera
>"now you're probably wondering how I got here"

You don't need to ask for recommendations to find better anime than this.
Pretty much anything has better writing than Monogatari.

>There is no more ACTUAL debate on this site
>When an intellectual such as me needs to discuss REAL debate with other such minded individuals we need places that actually value our discussion and worth as individuals.
Literally fedora-tiered.

It's 5/10
If it weren't adapted by shit tryhard studio and instead made by a good one like Xebec or Trigger then it would be 10/10

Older shows are impossible to discuss on this board because a) its too fast and b) too few people actually watcehd them. Most only parrot what they heard, very often being completely wrong about what they claim. This becomes particularly obvious when they compare "so called knock-offs" to what they consider the peak of the medium (very often when a show that slightly resembles EVA is being brought up). Now, I wont claim that this is any different on other websites, but at least on those you can pinpoint the retards based on thier identity. Thats one of the major disadvantages of anonymity. Its one of the primary reasons why boards like /m/ were created in the first place: to allow discussion of more niche works. If you cnat see that many shows that are being discussed on this board have their threads being flooded by hordes of fanboys who will, no matter how many flaws the entry, never admit a single one of them (great example being LotGH which has a lot of "issues", but youd never get the fanbase to acknowledge them, everything is perfection) then I cant help you. Anonymity simply enables this behavior even more, which is one of its unfortunate downsides.

>thinks it's clever
>it's just fanservice

If you want a decent psuedo intellectual show watch The Tatami Galaxy.

I know you're shitposting, but I'll answer you anyways.

She's compelling because Nisio gives you a bunch of hints about her character and lets you assemble them to form a coherent whole instead of spoonfeeding you. While he does this for every character, a lot of Shinobu's actions are particularly understated and really important hints to what sort of person she is get casually thrown out with little to no fanfare and then Nisio drags your attention over to something else. So you notice a couple of these hints and start assembling them like some sort of puzzle and doing that lets you realize what other pieces of information that looked like filler were actually important and let you fill out that puzzle even more. And since she's someone with a long past and a lot of conflicting motivations, you'll get very different impressions of her character along the way until you finally zero in on an idea of what sort of person she is. Then Nisio rewards that understanding with some big "twists" about how she reacts to something that would be a surprise if you had taken things at face value, but you can accurately predict after actually digging into her character. This is "show, don't tell" at its finest.

Its too good for Sup Forums, most people here will never understand the symbolism and influences from from french new wave theater. If you want to understand monogatari you must first watch a Jean-Luc Godard film.

You got a problem with LOGH, pal? Come on, what is it? Tell us, disenchant our simple notions with your indispensible eruditeness, cunning, and wit. I wouldn't want to remain some sort of weak-minded, uncultured philistine in the presence of an experienced critic.

Did you pass 12th grade english

I will give it credit for at least trying to be insightful by using fast paced banter, but cramming more disjointed dialogue doesn't suddenly elevate that dialogue.

It's like Quentin Tarantino films, are they really thought provoking or characters spouting random crap to seem intelligent.

Beyon Shaft's work it'd be seen for the wreck it is.

Translation: "I know my garbage taste will get torn to shreds if I reveal it. So I'm going to be a coward and hide."

See, you already get overly defensive over something that shouldnt even be new to you. After having watched all 110 episodes of LotGH you should already be aware of its flaws, particularly the ones that arent even related to its writing. You simply chose to ignore them.

Overall detailing is too minor considering the mostly static frames, particularly noticeable in regards to facial structure, facial detailing and background detailing. Varying levels of production value that make certain episodes (particularly common around ~20ish iirc) look like rushjobs with characters looking like they wear a pound of makeup. Partially the looks even change mid-ep, making it even worse. Audio design is mediocre at best for two reasons: first off, the show only makes use of pieces of classical music. That in itself isnt a problem, but the studio cant be credited for copy pasting acclaimed pieces instead of composing at least some of their own. Artlands approach was lazy, no more no less and that needs to be accounted for. Second issue are the unfortunate cuts at the end of many buildup sequeneces. It sounds like they are going to cut to a commercial, but since it was an OVA we know that there never was one. Guess thats the issue when all you do it copy compositions: very often the piece doesnt stop or slow down when you need it to.

The best part is that you probably think that I dislike it, since you cant fathom the idea of someone criticizing something he likes. Its precisely why LotGHs fanbase is more aids than anything else in the medium. Even worse than EVA, Monogatari, KyoAni or any other fanbase could ever be.

Looking for tips after you bombed it? Must suck to be incapable of following a plot without the author holding your hand.

I'll take that as a no.

Are you seriously going to fault me for not using my personality and taste in an argument on an ANONYMOUS IMAGE BOARD?
If so then get fucked.
I don't need to argue or defend my taste because I've done it over and over again and I'm still confident about my judgement.
Let's see you tear Kaiji to shreds just for fun though. I'm anxious to see how fucking retarded your post will be.

>i just got caught using a super old and obvious shitposting technique
>time for damage control

Oishi left the TV series (to make the movies) after the first season.

con with snake is better

I think you misunderstand the reason for the devoutness of the LOGH fanbase. All your criticisms were on style alone, a qaulity that people often criticise anime in general for having fatuous levels of in comparison to the substance of its works. People love LOGH because it lacks fetters, because it presents itself with a more somber and understated tone. Contraversely, people love Monogatari for its style, and the direct integration with the story itself and its themes.

Once I finished watching LOGH, it felt like I'd read a good book, or viewed a paticularly enthralling history documentary. And like the body after consuming a good meal, my mind felt satsified. The same cannot be said of most other series, even monogatari with its various complexities.

Great, so Kaiji is a masterpiece and Monogatari is trash, glad to see you can't actually defend it and have to resort to meme arrows.