>needing more than a poster and credits to tell if a series is good

I guess Sword Art Online really is a nice anime

Remember this?

i remember dropping it LOL

>he thought the first episodes were good

Brainlets detected

Never seen a show go downhill so fast.

>needing more than a meme to tell if op is a faggot

I can drop an anime after the first episode.

Even if i like the first few episodes I'll still drop it if there's something i don't like about it

>not liking legitimately great introductory episodes
See this is why elitism should die.

>Triggers and Gainaxes production is trash now

There isn't a single good Gainax or Trigger show with a bad first episode.

I once dropped an anime on episode 11

shitposting is for brainlets*

The way they handled exposition in AZ's episode alone should've tipped you off it was shit.

SAO is decent in the first 3 episodes.

SAO first episode was literally shit and full of plothole / contradictory

Kill yourself

Everyone was so fucking mad after the second episode.

The way those studios do their budget the first episodes are usually some of the best. You stupid or something?

I dropped GTO 40 episodes in because I was bored of the whole female student blackmails him because he's a scumbag and asspulls his way out of the situation theme

This doesn't work. Look at Madoka and Stein's gate and TTGL

Literally all of those had a pivotal moment in the later episodes.

>needing more than seeing if Sup Forums hates it to tell if a series is good

I dropped Golden Time at episode 10. I sometimes wonder if I should finish it but I heard it got even more stupid later on.

TTGL was good even at the first few episodes. They were pretty much just monster of the week but the art style and humor / character development / interaction more than made up for it

Agreed. Boku no Pico is a great anime.

What do you mean about TTGL. It gets the blood pumping as soon as they find Lagann

dropping shows is for brainlets

>plotfag

Typically you can tell with a screenshot or like, under 60 seconds of watching. Watching shit episodes is something people only do to pad their MAL account

I remember watching it weekly with Sup Forums lots of people dropped it before kamina died. Then it became a cult classic where entire pages were filled with whatever happened. It was great and quite the ride. It went from just being watchable to GOAT

lots of GAR posting though in the early episodes

But you can tell they are good episodes. A good episode isn't just something that gets you hooked or has to be something that makes you mindblown. You can tell if a show is going to generally have competent writing or not from one episode. A good writer wouldn't let the first episode above all else be bad. The base has to be strong.

Madoka, Steins;Gate, and TTGL all had good direction and writing the first episode. Sure, it's not guaranteed that a good or even great first episode leads to a great show. TTGL could have ended up being episodic and not achieving anything too meaningful. Steins;Gate could have been a time travel story with tons of plotholes and random shock moments. Madoka could have just been really weird and soulless. But the rest of the show's quality usually won't deviate too much from the beginning, and any great show will definitely have a good first episode.

>muh plothole
>muh exposition
Bleh. What a fucking about it? You've not explained anything bad about it.

TADA
Also OP is right, plot twists and unexpected events in general don't make a series good if it was bad up to that point and you should be able to call it quits in episode 1 if you want.

The exposition was boring and unnatural. There's no point in watching an anime that botches that crucial element.

You really can tell quite quickly if you'll like it or not though.
Since you can pay attention to the direction, the framing, and the kind of shit that goes on in the episode. Unless the producers and directors change (lucky star) it isn't going to change much in feel.

Even for stuff you don't like you can objectively look for quality in terms of animation, dialogue, etc.

>not watching multiple episodes at 1.5x speed at once

Please explain further. I want to further my own knowledge and decide why I objectively have a shit taste.

>Not judging anime by the key visuals

>not watching the first five episodes to gauge a series' quality

>Any of these shows are good

Honestly it's hard not to do it when you're looking for some specific type of show. I've missed plenty of good series due to this bad habit and I still haven't learned.

I think that 3 episodes rule works well for originals and anime based on products, like card games.
For manga, ln, and vn, synopsis and one episode should be more than enough.

>what's occult academy?

>needing more than a glassreflection or gikku review

Imagine being so casual you need to watch over 100 minutes of something to tell it's shit.

>needing more than a title to tell if a series is good

>believing any anime to be good
I'll never understand anyone who doesn't just consume all media produced anywhere at any time

what was wrong with it?

Imagine being so lpeb s to not desire more information before disregardinging a searrsies

>not watching the first 13 episodes to gauge a series quality

You can't really tell if something is good that quickly, because they often put good shit at the start, run out of ideas half way through, or just botch the ending.
You should be able to tell if something is bad pretty quickly though.

>not knowing if a show is good or not just by the title
I pity you brainlets.

Having a stroke, buddy?

Why would you want more information on things you don't like? Just watch something else.

>Needing more than a PV at the end of another series to judge quality

>Not watching the entire series even if it's terrible, then writing a long, poorly abbreviated critique on a Chinese cartoon image forum

TTGL was shit from the first episode.

Madoka and Steins;Gate were great from the first episode.

Plot is not the determining factor of a show's quality. Execution is.

>needing more than a youtube first impressions video to tell if a series is good

>people in this thread actually watch anime youtubers

Owari no Seraph was pretty good in comparison to the rest of the garbage airing the same year.

True. Garbage anime are obvious 5 minutes in.

Kado is an absolute prime example of a show going from great to a travesty in the span of 2 episodes. You really can never tell how things will go until you see the whole show.

Anything less is just an uninformed and useless opinion

Not watching bad shows, to know how to spot a bad show within 1 episode and save 40 minutes for workng thru back ligs.

Tip: it's not the third episode that'll tip you off, it's the third to last episode that'll show just how shitty a show gets.

> workng thru back ligs.
user are you ok?

>all these useless brainlets missing the fucking point

What OP is saying is - if an anime is shit at episode one it will remain shit. The chance of that changing by the end of episode 3 is highly unlikely.

I sure as hell haven't experienced it in my 18 years of watching Taiwanese moving caricatures.
So I agree with him completely.

Three episode rule is for morons. Even a full ep is pushing it, I know if I'm going to enjoy an anime 3 minutes into the very first episode.

Considering how fucking formulaic anime is, the only way you need more than one episode or a synopsis is if you're a newshit.

>not judging anime solely on how attractive the girls are

>needing more than one glance at the title to tell if a series is good

>dropping anime
what are you gonna watch, young sheldon?

>see promotional articles
>no waifu material
>its shit

Are you idiots so dumb that you have to watch something to know if theres something of worth in there?

>watching anime

I judge a series based off second-hand descriptions on Sup Forums.

I have never actually watched any anime.

3 episode rule is a dumb meme, but a lot of shows start off lukewarm and get better after they're past introductions and exposition, especially character driven stories. I guess you and OP wouldn't know though.

If an anime doesn't have a good hook there's a high chance it's shit. It's the first thing you learn in any writing class whether it's for cinema, theater or literature.

If you can't even get the most basic prerequisite of a good narrative down, why should I give you the benefit of a doubt for fucks sake?

Gungrave.

>needing more than the anime's source material to tell if a series is good

Thanks to this shitty logic we get more and more first episode spoilers.

so utena is a generic shoujo show with nothing special about it
okay

>first episode spoilers.
>spoiler

That word doesn't mean what you think it does.

Please elaborate

>not knowing if an anime is good purely by the VA casting

Go watch the first 3 episodes of Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse.

The first season of A/Z was great though.

All three were shit, just like the rest of the show. What of it?

>ITT people hiding behind the pretense of "intelligence" or "intellectualism" to justify their judging a show without having watched it
This is an epic Sup Forums thread if you ask me.

What's the fastest you've dropped a show?

Yeah first season was like 8.5/10 yet the second was like a fucking 2.5/10

100 microseconds

350mph

I know I've dropped shows before finishing the first episode many times but I can't remember which ones they were or at what point I dropped them anymore.

Probably about 3 to 5 minutes into the plot.

Anime in general is for brainlets though, mangas are the superior intellectual choice

Before Serval catches Kaban in episode 1 of Kemono Friends

What about a show where the first 2 episodes are total shit but the third episode is so good that it redeems the entire show?

There is no such show

>Plotholes in the first episode
what?

>not watching the recap episode before starting a new anime
Best moments Youtube videos are also acceptable