Dragon Ball

It was a simpler time for Kuririn, back here at the 22nd Tenka'ichi Budōkai (chapter 114)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h_34LA0bJQI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A much simpler time indeed.

I think the Muscle Tower was one of the best parts of Dragon Ball period.

Yeah I really liked it when Goku stuck Nyoibo up the guy's butthole. Truly one of the highlights of the manga. Much more memorable than all that Freeza nonsense.

And when Goku beat up the Jelly Jiggler? Much better than any of that Cell saga malarky.

That time General White shot Goku in the back of the head is one of the most iconic moments in the history of anime. It's so cool, because it's not just a regular gun, it's a special powered gun.

Like what else even happens in Dragon Ball? I think later on Goku turns red and fights some alien with a garlic gun or something? As if anyone even remembers that guy.

I like when Goku saw his Grandpa Gohan again, much more emotional than when Freezer killed Krillen

Oh yeah, it just gets so full of itself later on with power levels and space flying that it forgets what made Dragon Ball good in the first place.

I mean, Kamis? Nameks? What the fuck are those compared to Full Metal Jacket and Eight Man?

>Jelly Jiggler
Ah, a gentleman with good taste. I also miss Don Patch, such a good character that Akira forgot about. His gundam powers were unrivaled in dragon ball.

>tfw I got confused as in the shitposting because I thought the Jelly Jiggler was an actual Dragon Ball character.
Turns out it's just "The Jiggler".

You know, I'm fairly certain you're meming, but I actually do recall thinking the reunion between Goku and Grandpa Gohan was more emotional.

I personally find the Demon King Piccolo arc to be my favorite. I believe that's the first arc where main characters started dying.

His name is Buyon, aka the greatest Dragon Ball villain of all time. He just might be my favorite character in all of fiction. It's a shame the manga didn't end at Muscle Tower, you can tell Toriyama used up all his good ideas on Buyon. All the villains after him are just so generic in comparison.

What about the attack of the saiyans?

It introduced a lot of jobbing which would become staple for the series later on so i guess it's fine.

Oh yeah, the previous arcs were more low stakes like the Strongest Under the Heavens. Even the Red Ribbon Saga happened only because both Goku and the Army had the same goals of finding the Dragon Balls. Once Goku trained under Korin and beat Taopaipai, the rest of the saga was just Goku wrapping things up.

The Demon King saga was the first one where things started to go really bad, with Krillin being flat out murdered to start it off, especially foreboding after his good show during the second Tournament.

Major characters die, Goku wins by the absolute skin of his teeth, Yaijarobe and Kami are introduced(I think? May have been the next arc), and there's a genuine sense of direness throughout it all.

That happened a good while after Dragon Ball ended, as the start of Z.

Remember that time Krillin lost to a fucking vampire? And then later when he got killed off-panel by a minor henchman?

>That happened a good while after Dragon Ball ended,

1996?

youtube.com/watch?v=h_34LA0bJQI

>after his good show during the second Tournament

I always viewed those as joke battles. Meanwhile in Attack of the saiyans the villains legit wanted to kill them.

Hey man, getting to the semifinals and fighting Goku and not instantly getting BTFO are good enough showings to me.

If he weren't Goku's friend then he would have lasted about as long as Panput.

Nah, Krillin was beyond Panpoot at that point, and Goku isn't one to pull punches for friends.

Vampire was a joke fight, but Krillin being murdered by Tamborine was very serious, especially because it was the first time any major cast member had died. Roshi and Chaotizu were to follow, and Tien couldn't even touch any of Piccalo's men by the end of the arc.

>Nah, Krillin was beyond Panpoot at that point
Wasn't everyone beyond Panput at that point? Kame-sennin mentioned he was strong for a human, but never reached "super-human" level, something the first training was supposed to let them achieve. And both Krillin and Goku went well beyond Mutenroshi's expectations then.

Oh yeah, anyone who was anyone in the story was well past Panpoot at that point. I was just saying that even with Goku having the fight between Krillin cinched, he wasn't anywhere nearly as outclassed as Panpoot was.

I don't really know why Panpoot was needed to show how strong Goku was, though. I mean, King Chappa has already been beaten twice by him, and he was the undisputed former champion.

>King Chappa has already been beaten twice by him
Once, the second one was in 23rd TB. But yeah, it was the worst fight in the original tournaments, it was neither funny nor impressive. Maybe Tori just had no idea what to do so he decided to do nothing?

Who knows. Maybe he just didn't want to bother with a proper fight for him to skip straight to the important ones? I mean, does anyone ever remember or care about Ranfan's fight against the Indian guy in the previous Tournament?

But in the same tournament we got Jackie/Manwolf fight which he Akira at least bothered to make funny and original. It doesn't matter that much, since all the other fights were good, but it's weird one to have for a tournament.

That's true. I guess Toriyama just really wanted to cement the fact that the Turtle School students were starting to go well beyond the limits of everyone else.

This tournament was after the Red Ribbon Saga, right?

Yeah, after RR we had 3 year timeskip and we then got 22nd TB immeadiately. Pre-timeskip Goku was already second strongest known character (first being Karin).