Now that the dust has settled, can we admit it was a good stand-alone movie...

Now that the dust has settled, can we admit it was a good stand-alone movie, just not a good adaption of the original manga?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tfWEOLIF2eM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.
American live action films do not belong on Sup Forums, regardless of their source material.

Holy shit, Light really looks like a complete retard.

According to the rules, it's a-okay

>The discussion of "live action" television shows is permitted so long as they are distinctly rooted in, or based off of an anime or manga series.

Literally can't read the rules of the site. Even though I utterly agree in this case. Death note movie was stupid as hell and somehow made Light look even more like a complete retard. He had something like two dozen ways to end up winning in that movie and didn't use any of them.

Fuck off.

Post the chad vs virgin edit

That's a pretty bad shot of him, yes. This is where he meets Ryuk for the first time and shits his pants. And he has a black eye from his fight with a bully, too. Light looks like crap here, why couldn't Netflix pick a more flattering shot of him to advertise the movie?

I don't think it's possible to look at this shit without comparing to the original manga.

Say no more

Fuck off.

it was shit

On its own its terrible.

Why the fuck does every anime adaptation have to focus on revenge or some kid getting bullied? Are anime concepts so high brow that they have to be changed into not even shitty versions of themselves?

Edge of Tomorrow was great, probably even better then the light novel or manga. Adaptations can be good, directors are just too worried about making their next pay day so they try to appeal ot the lowest common denominator.

Do you think they'll make the sequel?

No. Even if you want look at it as stand-alone, all the major players in the "game of wits" are dumb as shit and do bizarre, stupid, illogical things. Light is as dumb as a brick and lets Mia manipulate him, Mia manipulates Light into doing dumb things when she's not taking the reins and doing dumb things herself, and L's deductions are based on faulty claims or even made up whole cloth. It's shit.

No, it was just a terrible movie.

Even on its own, this movie is shit.

This is supposed to be a teenage boy?

Why don't Sup Forums or /lit/ have a similar rule then? Why is only Sup Forums that is forced to endure those shitty thread when they obviously belong in Sup Forums or /trash/

>a good stand-alone movie
I watched it with that mindset and it was still pretty bad.

no

>American highshcool angst
>PROM NIGHT LMAO
>Cry Baby L

This alone makes it a generic highschool horror angst and pretty much shit

no, it was pretty bad as a stand-alone movie, but also not bad enough to be enjoyably bad, so i wouldn't recommend it to anyone for any reason whatsoever

It was fun but I wouldn't go as far as calling it "good". It was stupid and cliche as fuck. Better than I expected though.

The gore was a nice touch, but I like splatterfests in the first place.

>can we admit it was a good stand-alone movie, just not a good adaption of the original manga?
Fuck no. It was shock full of cringy as FUCK teen romance shit, Light is dumb as fuck and a massive wimp and wholly unlikable, and the whole thing is edgy as fuck and relies on Final Destination tier deaths and gore to keep you interested.

hmm

>now that the dust has settled

>can we all agree

I will never agree with your shit opinion, and stop speaking in "we".

No, fuck off. It was shit.

i don't know about Sup Forums. But basically half of all movies that exist are based on some shitty novels, so /lit/ would become Sup Forums 2.0

No. It was cliched. It was badly written. It wasn't even remotely impressive cinematography wise, for fuck's sake there was a part where I could hear someone fucking cough.
So how about this, just say it. Say that you, personally, fucking like it and I won't judge but can people please stop thinking liking something == something being good.

American adaptation of anime are garbage. Pure. Utter. Garbage.

Fuck off.

even as standalone it's too retarded to be considered good.

I actually like the scene where L gets knockout by that indian cook. And his is like "Lord Kira?"

>people worried about race of L and Light
>instead the real problem was the characterization themselves
>emo Light and retarded L
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i actually thought it was ok like a 3.2/5 (=higher than average)

weeaboos are just mad that it doesn't ape every line and characterization from the anime. DN was my babbys first anime 6 years ago so it holds a special place in my heart but as a fa/tv/irgin i can appreciate it as an independent derivative work of art.

it was fun, it had a delightful, edgy, american high school atmosphere and margaret a cute, also I quite liked L as a character even though i thought I would hate him because he's a nigger

Could Ryuk do anything remotely close to this in the manga? I forgot.

it was really bad but enjoyable

whoever MIa was was really cute. i fapped

Why the fuck is their a chase scene between L and light?

He couldn't even do it if he used the Death Note, there is an entire rule saying you can't use it to get the person you are controling to shorten someone elses lifespan but even that would of been closer to the source material than just giving him fucking magic powers.

The music was often terrible and out-of-place.
L makes ass-pull deductions like that Kira needs a name and a face, and bases this on the fact that he remains alive after going on live TV, when it could just be that Kira doesn't want to kill innocent people (this is then proven wrong when Mia kills the investigators, but L's speech was before this). He also doesn't even hide Watari's name or face.
It was dumb that Light revealed the Death Note to a girl, after having a conversation with her for like 1 minute. For all he knows, she could have called the cops. After all, she fought against the bullies, and called a nurse to help Light earlier in the movie. So she looked to be a good girl, and you would think that she wouldn't approve of literal mass murder.
I don't like that the movie is open-ended.

for the related webm i would bring out the rule that just says "you can't force people to do something that's impossible otherwise they will stop and die of heartattack" i think it was even mentioned in the movie, but apparently it's ok to write "ferris wheel somehow collapses for absolutely unknown reason".

Ryuk took a much more passive role in the anime/manga as he was a bored death god.

The movie version is just garbage, made to appeal to the "evil death god" good/bad supernatural shit that Americans like.

It wouldn't matter anyway since anything goes on Sup Forums. 400+ post Sup Forums threads are not unusual, since all that's required is including an anime picture and some text that weakly relates it to anime. In this case all OP would have to do is change the picture.

Was everyone who was on the wheel's name wrote into the notebook?

wheel had to be empty and there had to be no one in its vicinity for it to make any sense.

Yep, add that to the bullshit that makes no sense counter. What kind of retarded ass research went into this? I read the manga years ago and even I can remember basic shit like this.

to show that nigga can outrun white

We have the Olympics for that already.

The rules are clearly different here. The anime/manga tries to be as realistic as possible, except for the existence of Shinigami and a magical Notebook.
The movie leans more towards the supernatural side. That's why Light was able to write in the Notebook that the page with his name on it would conveniently land in fire and burn, and that he would conveniently land in the water and survive. This wouldn't make sense in the manga/anime, because the Death Note can only control the victim's action, and not random shit like a page of paper burning.
On top of that, the rule about burning a page never existed in the manga either, and you can control people for only 2 days, instead of 20-ish days like in the manga.

>Now that the dust has settled

No, because it has plotholes, poor acting and terrible quality checks.
You can even hear the cameraman coughing in one scene.

THERE ARE RULES LIGHT

Which scene

TL;DR LOL

Terrible writing, terrible direction, terrible cast, terrible everything.

How they managed to fuck up adapting the most normalfag-friendly anime to a movie is beyond me. Even the Japanese movie was better which had a budget of about 500 dollaridoos.

I think it was about a third or fourth into the movie.
He was talking to Mia about "Like,"we"...as in us?"

Turn up the volume a little and you can hear it loud and clear.

Also, remember that Watari is just an alias, yet it worked when writing it?

Someone was asking on Twitter about it.
This was the answer.

I liked William Dafoe as the voice for Ryuk. I thought that was really fitting. But visually, something about Ryuk was off-putting. It's like his face is CGI, but then you can see his ears and they look like a real person's ears. It's weird.

This guy is an absolute dick by the way.
He legit considers himself a winner with the movie and that all criticism it receives are trolls.

The dude is praising himself on twitter and goes on how we can't appreciate his work cause he is an artist.

>Only Sup Forums
Clearly you've never been to Sup Forums
Poor bastards suffer this 6+ times a year with all the cape shows/movies.

But they deserve that shit for enjoying cape shit.

Yes and superheroes were never popular in Japan.

Literally just parodies.

In this frame he looks like a different person
Looked like a killer to me

But then when his face is focused the dude looks like a bitch

Hero Academia is less of a parody of superheroes than Marvel and DC are.

So's Watchmen. Still counts as cape.

OPM is a parody.

MHA is just OPM: Super Serious Naruto Can You Believe It? Edition

that made me check his twitter, what would you expect, it was full of retweets praising his work, it's really fucking silly.

Go back a bit, you should find the one where he calls himself an artist who won with the movie.

you mean the one "Sorry trolls but the artist always wins"?

But Light was always a complete retard.

to cash in on the late heavy rain hype

>pushing a guy's face into his soup
Why you gotta do that

Daiz paid admins to add the rule in his quest to destroy Sup Forums and anime.

There was absolutely nothing redeemable about this.
2/10 on the moist meter.

>be world's best detective
>"I'm sure Light's gf has no involvement in this"

>be world's best detective
>"I wonder where Watari might be, right after I showed Kira my face, and I already deduced that Kira needs my face and my name"

>can we admit it was a good stand-alone movie
No, because it wasn't. There were far too many plot holes and so many times the characters did things with no sufficient motivation or reason. It's only made worse by being an adaptation.

lo no, it sucks as a standlaone thing and as an adaptation

>we
You can fuck off.

There was no one on the wheel they had just closed the ride down before light and forced them to start it is by threatening to shoot it's operator

>Light runs along a pier at brandishing a gun and then forces someone to operate the ferris wheel
>isn't under arrest when he wakes up

>a good stand-alone movie
Plotwise, no. It progresses too fast, as if was a recap. Light makes stupidest decisions like getting Watari into his call history for the world to see. Random bullshit like a person walking on L catching Light, suddenly bying into L's screams of Light being Kira and suddenly turning out to be a Kira cultist. There is a sequel hook, but they have already destroyed the possibility of any continuation by killing Misa and Watari, now they will have to make up new characters for Light and L to converse with and drift even further away from the original.
Visuals are good, I guess. I don't get what were they trying to say with all those dutch angles and other artsy shit, but I see that they put a lot of work into the visual direction.
Nice parcour chase at the end.

Parkour? They were just running normally, they even used the stairs as fucking stairs.

They changed how death note works. In the manga it affects only the person whose name is written. In the movie it gives directions to Ryuk and he manipulates the person's surroundins in Final Destination fashion to kill them.

Death note needs, at a minimum 5 movies to cover all the content and change shit for western audiences. Done right it should have been:

>First movie can be finding the Notebook. Set up L as the "main threat" or brains for catching Light. Raye Penber is the main antagonist of the movie.
>Second Movie shit gets real as the pressure gets intense. Light continues his plan, Misa takes notice (They'd likely make her not as stupid since the west doesn't like stupid women) and becomes devoted to 'Kira' trying to find him. L does shit, Light does shit, Misa does shit, shit happens, introduce Mello and N as his successors.
>L befriends Light for his investigation keikaku, Light plays along. Misa almost fucks it all up. L dies. Rem dies.
>Light infiltrates the government as L for information on criminals, Mello and N are unknown to Light and are working against him. His investigation squad begins to doubt him.
>Mello and N work to Take down Light and Misa in a game of mental chess using the clues L left behind. Light dies.

Actually the wheel was empty. It was being closed for night and Light threatened the attendant with L's gun to get on.

Willen Dafoe was the only good thing.

Tbh we've never seen Ryuk use any powers because he always had his second death Note, which he doesn't seem to in this so maybe Shinigami do have supernatural abilities. Still he could have flown up there and ripped them apart himself if he has so much strength.
When was it mentioned or shown that Ryuk was manipulating the surroundings? As far as I saw things just happened on their own like the anime.

It sucks, too, cause I was worried about L being black
Then it turned out that the actor was pretty good but he got fucked by the script

Watched a clip of a Ryuk speaking, he's actually pretty good but Light is horrible.

>Tfw the man with a boner for sleeping was just an android

t. i'm too stupid to understand indirect manipulation and deception

go eat a burger with your black L, m8

What does Sup Forums think of the ending?

youtube.com/watch?v=tfWEOLIF2eM

>tfw too retarded to use an anime reaction image on an anime board